Loot Box Odds Law Begins May 1st: Will it affect SWGOH?

Replies

• Options
    If they say it has 10% 20% or any %, how can it be validated? They can just say any number and consider it done.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    If they say it has 10% 20% or any %, how can it be validated? They can just say any number and consider it done.

Correct, but in China where the law is actually being enacted they will most likely have to provide some validation and maybe even code, as proof.
  • Options

As stated previously, they'll likely have to give code if China requests. What China wants China gets. Either companies comply or they'll yank the cord for their app(s).

SnakesOnAPlane
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    The absolute WORST value in this game are the 5 or 30 shards for crystals. (I appreciate them changing the wording there since 5-30 is dishonest compared to 5 OR 30).

I think it's pretty common knowledge that the odds of getting anything but 5 are very remote. I have heard so many direct, first person accounts of people buying multiple characters to 7*, and not getting a single drop but 5. The people who buy them have said to expect that nearly every time. Actually showing us that the drop rate is between a fraction of a percent to a couple of percent max will make little difference.

• Options
    Please Tell me the odds
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    SubzeeeDon wrote: »
    Please Tell me the odds

Never
  • Options
    Please Tell me the odds

Competency-2.gif
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    Please Tell me the odds

Competency-2.gif

Epic!
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    I would just not release the app in China. Easiest way to not have to release the odds while still pillaging the rest of the world. Max profit.
  • Options
    I would just not release the app in China. Easiest way to not have to release the odds while still pillaging the rest of the world. Max profit.

China is a huge market though. And what about all the players in China who have accounts?
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options

They'd lose millions from not including that market.

SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    Please Tell me the odds

Competency-2.gif

That's high. Very high
  • Options
    They will probably just stop selling RNG based packs in China so we don't see the real percentages.
  • Options
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    They will probably just stop selling RNG based packs in China so we don't see the real percentages.

But then they'd have to do that everywhere else. There's no way we would let them get away with that.
  • Options

But then they'd have to do that everywhere else. There's no way we would let them get away with that.

We let them get away everything already. People have already shown that they will blindly throw thousands at any pixel character cg pumps out.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Options

This effects chromniums and bronziums too. It might even effect the nodes/shipments.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm still impressed with the game companies who were already publishing the info, even prior to the China law. It goes to show you what kind of culture they portray and follow. It tells me they don't rely on dupe and confusing tactics to earn a great profit.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    I'm still impressed with the game companies who were already publishing the info...

Agreed
  • Options
    EA will find a work around.
  • Options

They can just sell different packs there can't they? I'm sure I've seen screenshots of packs available USB specific countries only. All of the packs sold in China will be unique ones that aren't available anywhere else.
  • Options
    kello_511 wrote: »

They can just sell different packs there can't they? I'm sure I've seen screenshots of packs available USB specific countries only. All of the packs sold in China will be unique ones that aren't available anywhere else.

Exactly.
  • Options

Just having the drop rates published in China can certainly bring about talks and change for other regions. It's a process, but this is just the beginning to bring about more trust in the gaming community.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options

Just having the drop rates published in China can certainly bring about talks and change for other regions. It's a process, but this is just the beginning to bring about more trust in the gaming community.

And to think China is spearheading this.
  • Options
    Hack the planet!
    Travelling through Hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops, boy!
  • jackTHErandom
    1195 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    They already comply with the law.

Anything you buy with real money has set contents.

Randomness comes from things you buy with crystals, which can be obtained without real money.

Nothing will change.

China's ministry is pretty clear that this can't be skirted, and stated they will change the law as necessary to prevent such.

Just pull the game from apples app store - there is no official swgoh android version in china anyway

And obtaining the game with workarounds (change region in appstore), wouldnt make EA liable anyway
  • Options
    They already comply with the law.

Anything you buy with real money has set contents.

Randomness comes from things you buy with crystals, which can be obtained without real money.

Nothing will change.

China's ministry is pretty clear that this can't be skirted, and stated they will change the law as necessary to prevent such.

Just pull the game from apples app store - there is no official swgoh android version in china anyway

And obtaining the game with workarounds (change region in appstore), wouldnt make EA liable anyway

And China would institute bans on the game if they do that. You do realize China controls the Internet tighter than a you know what? Gaming companies would lose tons of revenue attempting to follow such a model.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    It's percentage we are talking about, it can be 10% and you never get it, could be 50% and you still don't get it, doesn't mean that from 10 buys you win prize on 1 or 5.
  • Options
    How many omegas we got from cantina (even with double drop), I'm working on sith assassin and still haven't got 1
  • Options
    It's May 1st in China now. Interested to know if/when CG/EA update their website to conform with the law. Of course it'll only be the Chinese website they update.
  • Options
    They won't disclose this information until they're entirely forced to. The goodwill they earn from revealing the odds won't outweigh how sickeningly low they are (if they're even true). It'll deter more spenders than it brings in and they know it. At best we can hope to see the Chinese odds and hope they're comparable to ours (spoiler alert: if the odds are even remotely good they won't be comparable to ours). Even then, expect something along the lines of boosted odds in the Chinese version that they hope get "leaked" to communities playing on other versions.