Why the Phoenix squad is good for the game

Replies

• Options
    Bhaalor wrote: »
    I think one of my major beef's with the Phoenix Squad is that they are very very turtleish. Yes you have Ezra and Sabine that can hit. Then you have the rest of the squad. "Its my turn, oh no I couldnt possibly, how bout you go? Who Me? Oh I dunno, Hello sir, have a buff! Oh my why thank you, but I couldnt possibly be the only one buffed, how bout you have a buff too! OMG Thank you! Lets invite the enemy to a tickle party!!!!"

Lol
  • Options
    In my opinion Phoenix Is a garbage shoved in our throat by EA. That's good that someone was pleased with this, I'm not.
  • Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    Options
    sL_Spinoza wrote: »
    In my opinion Phoenix Is a garbage shoved in our throat by EA. That's good that someone was pleased with this, I'm not.

Fairly certain most of the player base has that exact same opinion.
  • Options
    Bhaalor wrote: »
    I think one of my major beef's with the Phoenix Squad is that they are very very turtleish. Yes you have Ezra and Sabine that can hit. Then you have the rest of the squad. "Its my turn, oh no I couldnt possibly, how bout you go? Who Me? Oh I dunno, Hello sir, have a buff! Oh my why thank you, but I couldnt possibly be the only one buffed, how bout you have a buff too! OMG Thank you! Lets invite the enemy to a tickle party!!!!"

Exactly! They spend their turns dispelling debuffs and taunting instead of attacking like any good squad does. The clone squad is more fun and better to use because they can constantly gain turn meter. Phoenix just go back and forth, giving each other bonus protection and dealing no damage. My Kylo Ren took down an entire Phoenix squad in the arena single-handedly.
  • Yung_Hen
    139 posts Member
    Options
    This is actually a really good point. It kinda sucks for higher level players, but pretty much only top tier players are on these forums. I'm sure it's really good for beginners
  • Options
    Boreas wrote: »
    It's really interesting that lately, some people who have around 20-50 posts in the forums up to now, which means they are relatively new players (are they?) are bombing the forums with information about Phoenix, how good they are, all the others who do not like or want them are completely wrong etc.One cannot stop but wonder... Are they really players? Or what?...

I've been playing from the start and have <10 posts. You need to get your head out of your dark side.
  • Options
    The title was changed... >:)
  • Options
    Boreas wrote: »
    It's really interesting that lately, some people who have around 20-50 posts in the forums up to now, which means they are relatively new players (are they?) are bombing the forums with information about Phoenix, how good they are, all the others who do not like or want them are completely wrong etc.One cannot stop but wonder... Are they really players? Or what?...

Or maybe since they are new players they have a different view on toons than that of older players with huge roosters?

Well I would also say the difference in perspective is what matters. Phoenix brings barely anything to the table for high level players, not enough damage output, too squishy. But on lower levels they could shine. Kind of easy to farm and their stats could be very decent in comparison to other toons, when not maxed out.
    Do you remember the thread about Luminara being overpowered a while ago? Seems laughable from top perspective, but again the poster most likely had a way different angle on how he sees things. Leading him to feel like Luminara is being op, and that's the same for Phoenix different perspectives lead to different opinions. Or let's look at Rey, she used to be a top arena toon, now she does not have much worth in top tier teams, unless it is a full resistance squad. But I can imagine her to be still useful at ranks around 1000+ or so, and then again it is a whole lot different perspective.
  • Options
    Yung_Hen wrote: »
    This is actually a really good point. It kinda sucks for higher level players, but pretty much only top tier players are on these forums. I'm sure it's really good for beginners

Ackbar, Boba, STH, Leia and K2

Ackbar, Biggs, STH, Leia and K2

HK 47, IG 86, IG 88, K2 + (maybe Boba)

These are just a little part of very easy toons to begginer players acquire, and I think that all of these formations win against Phoenix.

Ps1: I've ignored the characters from cantina battles (as Lando)
    Ps2: stars are very important on the beggining, cos' a beggining player can't gear too much one character (level restrictions). And the Phoenix came with 3 stars, only been farmable now.
  • Options
    I don't mind Phoenix squad at all. To me, they're like Gar Saxon or the ISC; kinda cool, some neat tricks, but nothing game-altering. With some practice and good mods, I think they could be quite fun, once you got the hang of using their abilities to their maximum potential.

That said, I DO mind how they were required for the Thrawn event, but only open to farm about a week prior. That was just a shameless, open money grab by the powers that be.
  • Options
    To be honest, Phoenix squad could be the best team here but... I'm near 60.. Figuring out what to do when gives me a headache. I come from MMORPG's and raiding etc.. I understand learning a class, rotations and so on. But Phoenix Squad gives me a headache and I hit auto. Making such decisions almost every move, is just annoying for me. Maybe others love it, not me. LOL Leading a 150 players against a world boss, easy. This stuff. Bleh..
  • Options
    No, it only matters what self entitled, me me me me players think. It's all a great conspiracy by the devs to just milk you and kill the game in the process. They don't want stable jobs. No way.
  • Options
    As a long time FTP I felt Phoenix was a slap in the face for not spending money on the game. Now I understand that not spending money is my choice and I support those who do because they support the game. I just felt Phoenix could've been handled better and maybe put some more information out about the upcoming event. It's the only event I truly felt was aimed as a reward for spending money. Every other legendary character was a reward for those who had played the game long enough to develop a good roster. Phoenix was a "see how much you can spend in two weeks" reward.
  • Options
    To be honest, Phoenix squad could be the best team here but... I'm near 60.. Figuring out what to do when gives me a headache. I come from MMORPG's and raiding etc.. I understand learning a class, rotations and so on. But Phoenix Squad gives me a headache and I hit auto. Making such decisions almost every move, is just annoying for me. Maybe others love it, not me. LOL Leading a 150 players against a world boss, easy. This stuff. Bleh..

Actually I come from turn based strategies and D&D RPGs, I love this kind of teams, and I love GW because it allows me to try and learn complicated abilities and synergies. I also like the characters and their show. My only gripe with them is the fact that they are yet another rebel toons in a game full of them, and aimed at segment of the game that is totally devoid of viable DS alternatives.
  • DrewR
    272 posts Member
    Options
    Hey, if you are beginner/mid level players and going down the Phoenix route.......I will sure feel for you.
  • Options
    2findaz wrote: »
    But EA also has to take into account mid game players and new players and most importantly future players.
    a new player can farm the Phoenix squad with relative ease right away, except for sabine and then will be able to unlock 2 Empire Legendary characters who will then help you to unlock R2D2 another legendary character. And of course by farming the Phoenix you have also farmed 2 Jedi characters who will help you get Yoda.

Pretty clever move by EA

They didn't do it to help out new and mid-game players, lol.....they did it to make money, plain and simple.
  • Kriesha
    113 posts Member
    Options
    I still dont like the fact that phoenix distracted me from farming for HAAT useful characters. Our guild is still working towards HAAT so getting Thrawn makes me feel bad for wasting resources on characters that do not really help with raid... But, I gotta have Thrawn. Of course, as f2p, there was not enough time to get him to 7* (two cantina farms, with my luck, simply not working).
  • Options
    phatphil3 wrote: »
    As a long time FTP I felt Phoenix was a slap in the face for not spending money on the game. Now I understand that not spending money is my choice and I support those who do because they support the game. I just felt Phoenix could've been handled better and maybe put some more information out about the upcoming event. It's the only event I truly felt was aimed as a reward for spending money. Every other legendary character was a reward for those who had played the game long enough to develop a good roster. Phoenix was a "see how much you can spend in two weeks" reward.

i didnt spend any money on phoenix and i got a 6* thrawn today. i had 11k arena currency, 6k gw, and 12k cantina. i got ezra to 5* during the double drops, then got hera to 5*. then got ezra to 6* and to get hera to 6* i did get 15 shards from the shard shop. but it was 100% f2p
  • LiamTheWise
    366 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    it didnt bother me to have to farm a team i wont use that much. did the same for EP and yoda back in the day. have a Windu and EK sitting on myy bench. and hoth scout and farmer luke. the actual speed of getting all of them to 6* for me was really quick since only ezra and hera conflicted w each other
  • Options
    Phoenix squad being chosen was done so for many reasons imho. It will appeal to fans of the show.

AKA 6 year olds bc the show sucks and anyone that cares for the Star Wars universe hates it bc it shouldn't exist. In addition, the characters offer nothing and are boring, much like in this game.
    It gives players something to do, a carrot to chase. Hopefully renews lost interest in the game. Possibly causes a revenue increase.

K um no. There are already way too many "carrots to chase" especially for a mid-level player. That's the crucial time to find the strategy you want to stick with and upgrade towards the wanted outcome, and that's when ships become more important to gaining characters they want. The last thing people should worry about is trying to gather shards to this sucky team in addition to their rebel team and empire team. Those are the teams needed to gain legendary characters, and those teams are fun to create because people are familiar with the characters and there are more than 6 different characters to choose from. The game is so much more fun when you can develop a strategy using completely different characters, finding a way to make them work together well.
    But when Star Wars rebels characters came out, there's just 6 boring characters and it almost feels like they're forced onto you and forced to work together, because their unique abilities only work well with each other if Hera is leader. All the other rebels are awesome because they're strong individually as well.

If they want to renew a lost interest in the game, give us Jedi Luke sky walker, the most iconic Star Wars character of all time and make Han Solo obtainable to mid-level players, but still have it take a while to get him.

Get a clue! just bc you dont like the show doesnt mean there arent plenty of adults who do. including myself. maybe you are a little close minded or maybe you just didnt give it a fair chance. but the show has a lot of great stories and adds a lot to the expanding cannon timeline
  • I_h8_SW_rbls
    22 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Phoenix squad being chosen was done so for many reasons imho. It will appeal to fans of the show.

AKA 6 year olds bc the show sucks and anyone that cares for the Star Wars universe hates it bc it shouldn't exist. In addition, the characters offer nothing and are boring, much like in this game.
    It gives players something to do, a carrot to chase. Hopefully renews lost interest in the game. Possibly causes a revenue increase.

K um no. There are already way too many "carrots to chase" especially for a mid-level player. That's the crucial time to find the strategy you want to stick with and upgrade towards the wanted outcome, and that's when ships become more important to gaining characters they want. The last thing people should worry about is trying to gather shards to this sucky team in addition to their rebel team and empire team. Those are the teams needed to gain legendary characters, and those teams are fun to create because people are familiar with the characters and there are more than 6 different characters to choose from. The game is so much more fun when you can develop a strategy using completely different characters, finding a way to make them work together well.
    But when Star Wars rebels characters came out, there's just 6 boring characters and it almost feels like they're forced onto you and forced to work together, because their unique abilities only work well with each other if Hera is leader. All the other rebels are awesome because they're strong individually as well.

If they want to renew a lost interest in the game, give us Jedi Luke sky walker, the most iconic Star Wars character of all time and make Han Solo obtainable to mid-level players, but still have it take a while to get him.

Get a clue! just bc you dont like the show doesnt mean there arent plenty of adults who do. including myself. maybe you are a little close minded or maybe you just didnt give it a fair chance. but the show has a lot of great stories and adds a lot to the expanding cannon timeline

I tried the show and the only thing it offered was plot holes and poor character development. You missed the point. They're a terrible team in SWGOH and they shouldn't be necessary to gain the most powerful character in the game.
  • Options

You're an adult and you watch Star Wars rebels? Must be a fat loser who lives in your parents basement and spends your time watching Star Wars rebels reruns

Hmm, I watch Rebels and I don't check any item of your list. Either is something wrong with me or is with your list.
  • Options
    @LiamTheWise "i had 11k arena currency, 6k gw, and 12k cantina" Most people don't have that sitting around. Congrats though, that's not easy to do.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    @LiamTheWise "i had 11k arena currency, 6k gw, and 12k cantina" Most people don't have that sitting around. Congrats though, that's not easy to do.
    You didn't need anything near that in order to get a 6* Thrawn while being F2P.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Options
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    You didn't need anything near that in order to get a 6* Thrawn while being F2P.

I am very close to get him, in the last day, at 6* F2P without anything saved. But I do finish top 5 in arena and I realise that I belong to a really small minority, so I don't spend my day claiming that it is easy or even doable to unlock Thrawn at 6* F2P. In my opinion if only a small part of the population can achieve something then that thing is not statistically achievable.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am very close to get him, in the last day, at 6* F2P without anything saved. But I do finish top 5 in arena and I realise that I belong to a really small minority, so I don't spend my day claiming that it is easy or even doable to unlock Thrawn at 6* F2P. In my opinion if only a small part of the population can achieve something then that thing is not statistically achievable.
    Once again, maths:
    Let's assume starting at 0 in all currency. Let's also assume that you started with 15/30 in 3* for all characters, and that you can get top 50 in Arena and finish GW every day. That's right around 235 crystals a day income between Arena, dailies, and GW.
    First, Hera and Ezra: You'll need 330 shards between the two. Average drop rate in the Cantina is 33%, so every shard should take approximately 24 energy. Over the 14 days between being made farmable and the end of the event, you'll earn 165 Cantina energy every day (effectively doubled during the double-drop days), meaning that you'll get 2805 Cantina energy for free. You'll need around 7920 Cantina energy to get the 330 shards you need, so minus the free energy, you'll need 5115 energy, or about 43 Cantina refreshes.
    235 crystals a day, combined with the 40 crystal login bonus on 6/12, the 250 crystals earned from tiers 1-5 of the event on 6/15, and the 60 crystal login bonus on 6/17, and factoring in double drops on the first 3 days, means that you'll get enough for the equivalent of... 43 Cantina refreshes (with a whopping 40 crystals left over!).
    For Chopper: That 7965 Cantina energy spent on getting Hera/Ezra gives 12935 Cantina currency, which is enough for 160 Chopper shards (135 leftover currency), leaving him only 5 short.
    For Kanan: 850 Arena tokens a day gives 11900 Arena tokens, good for 145 shards (300 tokens leftover), leaving him only 20 shards short.
    For Zeb: 1200 GW tokens a day gives 16800 GW tokens, good for all 165 Zeb shards (3600 tokens leftover).
    Those 3600 tokens can be turned in 9x for 45 shards of maxed out characters (or 36 ship shards) to earn 675-684 shard shop currency. 1300 Fleet tokens (top 50 in Ship Arena) x14 days is 18200 Fleet tokens, which can be used to get 45x maxed character or ship rewards for another 3375-3420 shard shop currency. And heck, while we're at it, you'll get 285 regular energy per day for 3990 total. A 33% drop rate on hard nodes means it costs about 36-48 energy per shard, which is easily enough for yet another 80-110 shards, or 1200-1650 shard shop currency.
    So that's 5250-5754 shard shop currency. GW node reward shards, bronziums, and even Tarkin shards from the daily (if you have him maxed already) will probably net you another 1000-2000 shard shop currency during those 14 days.
    That's enough for 30-40 extra shards for maxing out Chopper and Kanan.

So...

TL;DR: It's 100% possible, even assuming perfectly average RNG, to get Thrawn at 6* while starting with 0 shop currency.

EDIT: Had some bad maths in the shard shop currency section. Fixed with extra sources.
    Post edited by Pyrefly on
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Options
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    Once again, maths:
    Let's assume starting at 0 in all currency. Let's also assume that you started with 15/30 in 3* for all characters, and that you can get top 50 in Arena and finish GW every day. That's right around 235 crystals a day income between Arena, dailies, and GW.
    First, Hera and Ezra: You'll need 330 shards between the two. Average drop rate in the Cantina is 33%, so every shard should take approximately 24 energy. Over the 14 days between being made farmable and the end of the event, you'll earn 165 Cantina energy every day (effectively doubled during the double-drop days), meaning that you'll get 2805 Cantina energy for free. You'll need around 7920 Cantina energy to get the 330 shards you need, so minus the free energy, you'll need 5115 energy, or about 43 Cantina refreshes.
    235 crystals a day, combined with the 40 crystal login bonus on 6/12, the 250 crystals earned from tiers 1-5 of the event on 6/15, and the 60 crystal login bonus on 6/17, and factoring in double drops on the first 3 days, means that you'll get enough for the equivalent of... 43 Cantina refreshes (with a whopping 40 crystals left over!).
    For Chopper: That 7965 Cantina energy spent on getting Hera/Ezra gives 12935 Cantina currency, which is enough for 160 Chopper shards (135 leftover currency), leaving him only 5 short.
    For Kanan: 850 Arena tokens a day gives 11900 Arena tokens, good for 145 shards (300 tokens leftover), leaving him only 20 shards short.
    For Zeb: 1200 GW tokens a day gives 16800 GW tokens, good for all 165 Zeb shards (3600 tokens leftover).
    Those 3600 tokens can be turned in 9x for 45 shards of maxed out characters (or 36 ship shards) to earn 675-792 shard shop currency. 1300 Fleet tokens (top 50 in Ship Arena) x14 days is 18200 Fleet tokens, which can be used to get 45x maxed character or ship rewards for another 3375-3960 shard shop currency. And heck, while we're at it, you'll get 285 regular energy per day for 3990 total. A 33% drop rate on hard nodes means it costs about 36-48 energy per shard, which is easily enough for yet another 80-110 shards, or 1200-1650 shard shop currency.
    So that's 5250-6402 shard shop currency. GW node reward shards, bronziums, and even Tarkin shards from the daily (if you have him maxed already) will probably net you another 1000-2000 shard shop currency during those 14 days.
    That's enough for 30-40 extra shards for maxing out Chopper and Kanan.

So...

TL;DR: It's 100% possible, even assuming perfectly average RNG, to get Thrawn at 6* while starting with 0 shop currency.

EDIT: Had some bad maths in the shard shop currency section. Fixed with extra sources.

All that your math proves is that yes, it's mathematically possible to have gotten the team we needed in the time allotted. But the thing with chance is that it's all chance, nothing is set in stone. I could do everything exactly like you planned it out and still not gotten what I needed. But also, everyone is in the middle of farming different characters and the last thing we want to do is drop everything we've been working on for months just to spend all our resources on this new sucky squad just to get the most powerful character in the game.

• FakeVader
    1 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm a new player and the Phoenix squad is a good starting squad for me. They will help me get Thrawn and Palpatine. I don't expect them to be viable later on in the game...but its nice to at least be able to kill two birds in one stone.
  • Options
    Boba is easy for mid players and destroys phoenix. He is also useful for Credit heist

Ummm, not really, ai boba uses aoe damage first, hera gives all ps kanans counter attack. Boba aoe attacks, ps counters, Boba is the first to die. He ressurects, ezra calls hera to assist, giving him 20% tm for using a special, and hera gains 40% tm for being support. Hera attacks or calls ezra to assit and gains 20% tm, ezra attacks....boba is also the second to die. Unless there a larger threat then boba will just have to wait to be killed.

I guess my point is ps requires a different strategy, as do all teams/toons. For ai less strategy is better, example zaul, no strategy just dodge dodge dodge.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    Boba is easy for mid players and destroys phoenix. He is also useful for Credit heist

Ummm, not really, ai boba uses aoe damage first, hera gives all ps kanans counter attack. Boba aoe attacks, ps counters, Boba is the first to die. He ressurects, ezra calls hera to assist, giving him 20% tm for using a special, and hera gains 40% tm for being support. Hera attacks or calls ezra to assit and gains 20% tm, ezra attacks....boba is also the second to die. Unless there a larger threat then boba will just have to wait to be killed.

I guess my point is ps requires a different strategy, as do all teams/toons. For ai less strategy is better, example zaul, no strategy just dodge dodge dodge.
    To be fair, Ezra and Hera aren't going to be calling assists if Boba's ability block lands on them.