How do Arena Shards works exactly

Dread
152 posts Member
edited October 2017
I am starting a F2P only account and I'm trying to figure out how shards work EXACTLY, so I can start the account at the optimal time.

How I think shards work: You are placed in a shared based on the month you join the game (not when you hit the level required for arena), all users in the same month are put in the same shard. You will stay in the same shard forever.

Am I correct? or is there more to it?

Replies

• Options
    That's basically it, yeah.

"Shard" is technically a misnomer, though, since that implies everyone is on separate servers. EA/CG call them Leaderboards to prevent that.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Dread
    152 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    That's basically it, yeah.

"Shard" is technically a misnomer, though, since that implies everyone is on separate servers. EA/CG call them Leaderboards to prevent that.

So if i'm 100% right, the best time would be to start the account at the beginning of a month so I have a head start above all else.
  • Options
    Oh, my mistake, no. I don't think so. I misread part of what you said because people always say "A November 2015 shard" or whatever.

I don't have confirmation, but I'm pretty sure a Leaderboard is open until a certain number of players are in it, then it closes and a new one opens up. It just stands to reason--you'd want all your Leaderboards to have roughly the same number of players, otherwise the ones from when the game started would have hundreds of thousands (most of whom would be inactive, naturally) and the most recent ones would have only 10k or so.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Leaderboards have 20k accounts on them. A new leaderboard starts when the last one gets filled. Takes about 10 days to fill a leaderboard lately.
  • Dread
    152 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Oh, my mistake, no. I don't think so. I misread part of what you said because people always say "A November 2015 shard" or whatever.

I don't have confirmation, but I'm pretty sure a Leaderboard is open until a certain number of players are in it, then it closes and a new one opens up. It just stands to reason--you'd want all your Leaderboards to have roughly the same number of players, otherwise the ones from when the game started would have hundreds of thousands (most of whom would be inactive, naturally) and the most recent ones would have only 10k or so.

Thats what I was thinking, or hoping for rather :)
  • Options
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/136612/about-to-start-a-new-account-check-here-for-when-to-pop-28

This was the most recent, and probably most accurate thread on how long it takes for a shard to fill up.
  • Dread
    152 posts Member
    Options
    ExarTheKun wrote: »
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/136612/about-to-start-a-new-account-check-here-for-when-to-pop-28

This was the most recent, and probably most accurate thread on how long it takes for a shard to fill up.

Hmm, thank you @ExarTheKun, that thread seems to hint at it is based on you hitting lvl 28instead of when the actual account is created. Though, I'm not sure that is confirmed.
  • MisterZeq
    49 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yes but whenever you create the account, you're put in a shard when
    Hitting 28 not when the account is created.
    Wether you go lvl 28 in 2 days or 20 has nothing to do with the shard you're put in.
  • Dread
    152 posts Member
    Options
    MisterZeq wrote: »
    Wether you go lvl 28 in 2 days or 20 has nothing to do with the shard you're put in.

Okay, gonna horde some crystals prior to 28 then :) thank you for your help
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

This is correct. As long as you don't hit level 28, you will not be assigned a leaderboard. That's why it is best to save up some resources and farm the characters you need before hitting level 28. Other players will be doing the same, and have a significant advantage.

I have done this before. This information is tested and accurate. ;)
  • Dread
    152 posts Member
    Options
    ExarTheKun wrote: »

This is correct. As long as you don't hit level 28, you will not be assigned a leaderboard. That's why it is best to save up some resources and farm the characters you need before hitting level 28. Other players will be doing the same, and have a significant advantage.

I have done this before. This information is tested and accurate. ;)

Thank you both!
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    Always answered but here ya go..

You enter your shard at level 28; shards fill up at 20k people. Once your in your shard, your locked.
  • Options
    I thought it was level 8
  • Options
    So what happens if you are in an older shard with a lot of inactive or retired players? Do they eventually combine them like a poker tourney, or just put actives in a new shard, or are the shards big enough that it has not been necessary to change them yet? Just curious if anyone knows
  • Options
    Tothebar wrote: »
    So what happens if you are in an older shard with a lot of inactive or retired players? Do they eventually combine them like a poker tourney, or just put actives in a new shard, or are the shards big enough that it has not been necessary to change them yet? Just curious if anyone knows

That’s a good question.
  • Options

Nope once a leaderboard is set they don't merge or add newbies, at least not yet
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

They have claimed that they don't. There are always conspiracy theories otherwise.