Dual Leader Arena

Prev1
Woodroward
3749 posts Member
edited January 2018
I have mentioned this idea in the past and may have also seen others do so, but I have never seen a thread made about it so I have decided to do so.

The premise of the idea is simple: have another squad arena bracket that consists of 6 man teams with 2 active leader abilities, just like is available in PVE nodes.

Now I am not overly concerned with rewards for this game mode. I would enjoy it if it only gave out ally points, but in the interest of balance and rewards, I think something as simple as giving out only credits could be satisfying enough, though if others have suggestions, I have no objections.

I will say that when I talk about balance I meant that giving out more squad arena currency or other store currency would shift the time to acquire model ea/cg is following for those stores away from where they obviously desire it to be, so it is likely they would ignore suggestions along those lines. So that only leaves another store with an entirely different currency. Now that means that store would have to have it's own goods, which would likely mean more work for CG than they had in mind (they can only do so much at a time). In my opinion, the only viable reward I could see for this game mode would be mods. It wouldn't require extra coding of new rewards on EA/CG's part. Something like the currency can be spent to acquire certain rarities of mods: IE gold, purple, etc. The types and pip level of said mods could probably be limited by your mod challenge unlocks to not make that part of the game useless. But that's a side idea to the main one.

The main idea of this thread is to have a dual leader arena. I think that would give people all sorts of new fun strategies and teams to make and gear. It could even make some characters useful who just aren't at the present moment (outside of platoons, everyone is useful there). The other considerations are more of a way to make it feasible for everyone to enjoy it than anything else.

As for who would end up where, I would personally prefer that it have the same shardmates as in current squad arena just to forestall the inevitable problems in finding good ways to regroup people and I am sure many will both agree and disagree with that sentiment.

This is a poll. Let me know what you think please. Is this a good idea?

Dual Leader Arena 33 votes

Yes! Add dual leader arena, I don't care how!
30%
PiffGuruNikoms565Gezesh_RahlWoodrowardAgmenInfernum_08PlooshJohnSithT2Anakin_Skywalkerthraken11SHAD0W4576 10 votes
Dual leader sounds fun, but is too much more work without unique rewards.
12%
ElleMadaraAnUnusedNameMol_Zakoreayybcall 4 votes
No more arena, I have enough to do, even though it sounds like it could be fun
12%
leefRipitrox82phinfan309big_bad 4 votes
no, this is a bad idea in general
36%
FatzkeZombie961KalanoProximaB1_AnnerDoonjhbuchholzHuatimusDaGhost141tinyerichunJaVCnSyrup_Chugger3Snipey 12 votes
I have no idea if I'd like this or not, I'd have to see it implemented.
9%
DakkJanielsFierceRevanOld_Man_Jenkins 3 votes

Replies

• Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    If you voted this was a bad idea in general without making a post to explain why, you fell into a trap that says you are a troll. lol

A real objection to it would come with an explanation...
  • Yes! Add dual leader arena, I don't care how!
    I'd like it in form of event for giggles now and then. Some combos will be cheesy as hell, like CLS+wedge, jtr+Finn, etc. But once in a while that would be fun
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    zzzJedi Rey + ZFinn
    vs
    zzzCLS + Wedge
    vs
    zzAsajj + zzTalzin
    vs
    Rex + GK
    vs
    zzKRU + zPhasma
    vs
    zzThrawn + Palpatine

Oh wait...
    zzzJRey + IG88?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    in any other game mode, fine, just not another areana.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • no, this is a bad idea in general
    The game is not balanced for Dual Leaders or 6 characters. There’s going to be crazy OP combos. R2 getting bonus from 6 characters and spreading them out is one example. Put him with RJT Zinn Leaderships and it’s madness.
  • No more arena, I have enough to do, even though it sounds like it could be fun
    I don't want more arena content that I have to pay attention to every day
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Huatimus wrote: »
    The game is not balanced for Dual Leaders or 6 characters. There’s going to be crazy OP combos. R2 getting bonus from 6 characters and spreading them out is one example. Put him with RJT Zinn Leaderships and it’s madness.

That's actually kind of the whole point of the idea. To be able to do crazy OP combos. Single leader has gotten boring.
    That's also why no big rewards for it.

Don't see it as an issue personally since everyone will be able to come up with their own crazy OP combos:

Another good one would be Zader and IG-88.
    Zaul and Nihilus
    Asaji and Talzin

Opens the door to people being creative in an arena setting again... there's no room for that in the current squad arena... at least not at the top.
    Woodroward wrote: »
    If you voted this was a bad idea in general without making a post to explain why, you fell into a trap that says you are a troll. lol

Explanation: your poll suffers from a type of researcher bias. You have 3 responses that state the idea sounds fun, one that says it's a bad idea, and one that is essentially abstaining or a non vote. Offer up some options between the extremes of 'this is a great idea' and 'this is a bad idea' next time.

To me this idea is kind of meh. It doesn't look bad but it isn't exciting either. There is nothing in the idea that isn't basically available somewhere in the game already.

It's the same reaction I had to Fleet Arena. They reskinned the characters as ships, made the leader unattackable, and added reinforcements. Nothing incredibly new or exciting. Meh.

If your idea was implemented I'd play it. And knowing it's not likely to be added doesn't disappoint me.

Poor poll questions.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Explanation: your poll suffers from a type of researcher bias. You have 3 responses that state the idea sounds fun, one that says it's a bad idea, and one that is essentially abstaining or a non vote. Offer up some options between the extremes of 'this is a great idea' and 'this is a bad idea' next time.

Incorrect: I have one where it is completely good, One where it is completely bad one where it is kind of good, one that is neutral, and one where it is kind of bad.

The: this is a bad idea in general option was only added to give people an option to explain themselves and pick out trolls.

If people's objection was rewards: they had an option. If people's objection was time: they had an option. If people's objection was other they had an option. There was only one: "it is a good idea" option.

It's okay that you didn't comprehend the choices. In the future though: "It sound fun but..." is a prelude to a rejection, not a "this is a good idea" response.

giphy.gif
    Zombie961 wrote: »

giphy.gif

Who told you what to do? Interesting that this response is also a troll... lol
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    So the current tally is: 8 for it, 8 against it, 2 ambivalent, and 7 trolls.

...seems about average.

Incorrect: I have one where it is completely good, One where it is completely bad one where it is kind of good, one that is neutral, and one where it is kind of bad.

The: this is a bad idea in general option was only added to give people an option to explain themselves and pick out trolls.

If people's objection was rewards: they had an option. If people's objection was time: they had an option. If people's objection was other they had an option. There was only one: "it is a good idea" option.

It's okay that you didn't comprehend the choices. In the future though: "It sound fun but..." is a prelude to a rejection, not a "this is a good idea" response.

Ok. But I don't think it sounds fun. Not do I think it's a bad idea. Which do I pick?
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    I haven't voted, so if you could please define "trolls."
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

...seems about average.

Why doesn't any other option require explanation in order to not get called a troll though?
    People shouldn't make polls if they desire a certain outcome. There's a reason we can't post polls in general discussion anymore, well, we can't post anything in general discussion anymore, but that's besides the point.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited January 2018

Ok. But I don't think it sounds fun. Not do I think it's a bad idea. Which do I pick?

The "it sounds fun but" part is politeness, ignore that.
    TVF wrote: »
    I haven't voted, so if you could please define "trolls."

Voting that it is a bad idea in general with no post explaining it. There are a few "I don't like it" options besides that.
    leef wrote: »

...seems about average.

Why doesn't any other option require explanation in order to not get called a troll though?
    People shouldn't make polls if they desire a certain outcome. There's a reason we can't post polls in general discussion anymore, well, we can't post anything in general discussion anymore, but that's besides the point.

Because every other option has an explanation. It was a trap, I wanted a way to differentiate legitimate votes from trolls. Simply saying: "your idea is bad" with no explanation is pretty much the definition of trolling.

I desired no specific outcome from anyone.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

...seems about average.

Because every other option has an explanation. It was a trap, I wanted a way to differentiate legitimate votes from trolls. Simply saying: "your idea is bad" with no explanation is pretty much the definition of trolling.

I desired no specific outcome from anyone.

i thought this option was a trap to see how many people just want everything without thinking twice about it.
    "Yes! Add dual leader arena, I don't care how!"
    lots of those on the forum aswell.
    I'm just going to assume you know what's what, so no point in debating it any further.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    edited January 2018

It shouldn't be in the then and is likely skewing your poll.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited January 2018

There's a method to polling where the answers you are given to choose from don't actually reflect the sentiments the person conducting the poll is looking for. It is used very frequently to determine the real sentiments of the people when they would like to portray an image separate from what they truly believe.

It is along those lines that they were put in in this fashion. My poll isn't skewed so much as it is more likely to reflect the desires of people accurately by not being entirely up front about the criteria the person conducting the poll is looking for.

This is not only not a bad thing, it is considered the most effective way to get relevant data from polls.

To put it another way: To the average person, it says one thing, to me it says another, and that's exactly what I wanted.
    Ive thought for over a year that it would be cool to allow 6 toons on your teams outside of LS/DS/Cantina, But Im not so sold on it being a second leader tho. It would shake up everything, the only reason I stopped thinking about it was cause there is alot of room for brokenness(didnt think it was a word but autocorrect didnt stop me).
    Also it seems pretty obvious that they are designing factions to force you to leave someone off the team that is a bit of a hard decision like with phoenix squad and having a 6th would allow all the phoenix on the field at once so not sure if CG would do this cause it is contrary to how they have attempted to balance things.
    I like the idea, as long as the rewards aren't too high. Imho, there are some decent and fun "2nd leader" abilities in each faction that rarely get used because the "primary" one is so strong.

It would even be cool if there were limited 2nd leaders, so it couldn't get too crazy.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I like the idea, as long as the rewards aren't too high. Imho, there are some decent and fun "2nd leader" abilities in each faction that rarely get used because the "primary" one is so strong.

It would even be cool if there were limited 2nd leaders, so it couldn't get too crazy.

This was pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

I considered the limited 2nd leader ability too. Something like a captain who affects everyone, and a lieutenant that would only affect, say, 2 people under them. Would really add layers of depth to the mode.

There's a method to polling where the answers you are given to choose from don't actually reflect the sentiments the person conducting the poll is looking for. It is used very frequently to determine the real sentiments of the people when they would like to portray an image separate from what they truly believe.

It is along those lines that they were put in in this fashion. My poll isn't skewed so much as it is more likely to reflect the desires of people accurately by not being entirely up front about the criteria the person conducting the poll is looking for.

This is not only not a bad thing, it is considered the most effective way to get relevant data from polls.

To put it another way: To the average person, it says one thing, to me it says another, and that's exactly what I wanted.

So how do you interpret my response?

And more importantly, if only you know what the poll results mean how does this benefit the community by telling CG what we're interested in?

And more importantly, if only you know what the poll results mean how does this benefit the community by telling CG what we're interested in?
    For your first question, I have explained my criteria and thinking about this poll as much as I am going to.

For your second, is this really relevant? It's my poll...

For your first question, I have explained my criteria and thinking about this poll as much as I am going to.

You're absolutely right. You don't have to explain or answer questions on your poll. It's disappointing that you won't though and it's a response that isn't likely to generate a lot of excitement for your future ideas. I'm dispirited that you chose this response.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Now I want to make a poll about Woodroward's poll.

You're absolutely right. You don't have to explain or answer questions on your poll. It's disappointing that you won't though and it's a response that isn't likely to generate a lot of excitement for your future ideas. I'm dispirited that you chose this response.

If I was to explain myself any further, then it would actually eliminate the whole reasoning behind why I did what I did. So do you really want me to invalidate the purpose of my poll to satisfy your curiosity?

Nothing personal bud.

If I was to explain myself any further, then it would actually eliminate the whole reasoning behind why I did what I did. So do you really want me to invalidate the purpose of my poll to satisfy your curiosity?

Nothing personal bud.

Actually, yes. You've admitted to manipulating the poll to potentially give you information the respondents aren't aware they're giving. It's natural to ask questions and expect a response in this situation.

It's also clear that you're not willing to share. I don't take it personally but it will cause me to read future ideas of yours with a bias. I'm sure you're ok with that so I'll move along.

Good luck with your poll.