This is probably the most unpopular thing i will post

Prev1
Luke Skywalker is more of a Mary Sue than Rey was.

Luke was on a desert planet and shot rats and repaired things. He doesnt know what the force is and then claims he s a pretty good pilot in the catina for no reason. He goes into the Falcon, then shoots down a entire squadron of Trained TIE Fighters. (First time in Space!). He then, on his first time on a X wing (i think) survives the trench run and scores a 1 and a millon shot into the Death Star. In ESB, he then telekinectically throws the lightsaber at himself, which no one has done before and no one has even seen before. He recieves no lightsaber training from Yoda, and gets thrown down a hatch, where he is able to send a telephatic message to Leia to pick him up. (With still no lightsaber training !) hr manages to beat Darth Vader despite Vader having slaughtered plenty of Jedi before.

I m just saying.

Replies

• Options
    Yeah but Rey is a girl and Mary Sue is a girl name!!!!! (This is a joke)
  • Options
    Oh, boy. I just mark your thread just to watch what will the OT worshippers will do with you. B) BtW I do not agree with you.
  • Options
    I'd say as much of a mary sue, not more.

Luke beat a trained sith but there is an argument that his father was holding back on him as there is almost no way he beat a lightsaber dueling master like vader who was trained by masters like obi wan and yoda and then palpatine later.
    But Rey beat Kylo who was trained by luke and snoke and even though he was holding back on her, her use of mind tricks with the force was pretty crazy for someone with no training.

TL;DR they're both pretty powerful but not as OP as people make them out to be
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    "Luke = Rey" in my book. not "<" or ">".
    btw this should go to "off topic"
    Post edited by Anakin_Skywalker on
  • Options
    Actually Luke had begun training under obi wan on the falcon on their way to the planet of alderan. He had also been traveling with obi wan who was teaching him about the force and then when obi wan died he died so that he could guide luke using the force.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but no. Not really, no.

Luke was born on a desert planet, it's true, but he was an accomplished pilot in local vehicles. Flight vehicles, too, not just landspeeders. Compare and contrast that with Rey, who simply practiced in simulations a lot. Essentially she was a good video game pilot.

As for Force use, Luke does pull off some incredible feats, but there's at least a basis of training he went through. He learned from an actual teacher how to open himself to the Force, and use it. Rey, meanwhile, was told she had the Force and all of a sudden (without anyone telling her it was even possible) she's barking commands at a stormtrooper, expecting to make him release her. And when it doesn't work, she is convinced enough it'll work to actually try again.

Lightsaber technique and battling is about even. Vader was likely holding back with Luke, but he still should've decimated Luke easily. But the same is true of Kylo and Rey. Rey had never used a lightsaber before, and all of a sudden she's an elite duelist.

Now, mind you, I don't have any issues with Rey. She's fine as a character, and better after episode 8. She's not really a Mary Sue.
  • Options
    Aluxtu wrote: »
    Actually Luke had begun training under obi wan on the falcon on their way to the planet of alderan. He had also been traveling with obi wan who was teaching him about the force and then when obi wan died he died so that he could guide luke using the force.

In the OT there were also gaps in time between each film giving him more off screen time to train.

Luke and Rey may not be too disimilar but Rey is Luke on fast forward which is the part that makes it harder to swallow.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to off topic.
  • Options
    Did you forget that Luke says to Han in the cantina that he use to ‘bullseye wamprats in his T16’? Sounds to me like he’d be a pretty good pilot.

One in a million shot on the Death Star. He uses the force, I’m pretty sure that some old guy speaks to him or something and says something like, ‘use the force’. Could be wrong though.

ESB takes place 3 years after ANH, so i would assume that Luke may have had a little bit of practice with the force and probably has communicated with Obi-Wan at some point.
    Saying that Luke shouldn’t be able to pull his lightsaber out of the snow is like saying how can Luke ride a Tauntaun? Did he have lessons? Is this his first time? Does he comb its fur?

Yoda’s training was about discipline, not how to use a stick. And again, how would lightsaber training aid Luke in calling to Leia through the force. Would you have prefered it if he threw his lightsaber at her to get her attention.

And following from all that, RotJ is set a year after ESB. So in total, Luke has had 4 years to train in using the force/lightsaber.

Call me a defender of the OT if you want, I just thought that all the points you brought up were quite easily explained just by watching the films themselves.

PS I like TFA and TLJ
  • Options
    The difference being - Luke finally "beats" Vader in the third movie(which is years after the first one and after he discovered he is force sensitive). He was already trained by Jedi Masters like Yoda and Kenobi and he could not finish off Vader prior to tapping into the dark side.

Rey has had no training, nobody to tell her what the force is, nobody to tell her how the force works and on her very first attempt of using it, she is already capable of using Mind Trick, an advanced force technique. She then proceeds to fight with the bad guy not in the 3rd movie but the first one and she beats him without any use of the dark side.

Do you see the difference?

P.S. I'm a prequel fan not OT so 3rd comment is invalid.
  • Options
    Yo! You are all forgetting Kylo was shot by chewbacca first so was injured so that put him at a disadvantage. You are also forgetting Rey apparently had some self taught/learned fighting skills demonstrated by her adept use of the staff. Plus let’s face it a teenage girl, a scavenger, living alone on a planet where it seemed like there was no real law enforcement had to learn to fight and be relatively good at it just to survive. Finally the movies and the books talk about the force itself constantly seeking balance and she was the instrument of that balance for the light side. The Kylo vs Rey match was not that unevenly matched. Luke vs Vader... in ESB Vader was holding back but Luke had received some formal training.... it could be argued that then too Luke was the Forces instrument of balance... at least enough to eventually allow Vader to become the chosen one. Interestingly the chosen one was to bring Balance... and with Vader and Palpatine fine supposedly leaving Luke and Leia as the light side pillars it’s stands to reason that snoke existed and was the same for the dark side. As a side note in the books, especially when Darth Cadeus is around, Luke is hella powerful. He used no gestures or movement and with his mind alone CRUSHES the Sith Lord in a chair and even the Cadeus realizes he can never beat Luke in a battle. That’s the Luke I want to see in the game LOL. Talk about game breaking.
  • Options
    WTK is a mary sue?
  • Options
    Not that it really matters to anyone, but I will outline what I think about the characters below, and compare them. I'm not a self-proclaimed Star Wars expert, and I only really know what the movies have shown me with the exception of a few things I've read here and there. Feel free to disagree, doesn't matter to me, I just needed to kill some time.

Pilot Abilities

Luke is a farmboy, as we all know, so he is likely to have experience operating machinery and according to Star Wars lore, his T16 was manufactured by the same organization that makes the X-wings, so there is some basis for being a decent pilot there (even though this may have been explained after the fact and isn't mentioned in the movies).

Rey is a scavenger, and as such, would likely know which parts of an aircraft are the most valuable, probably what they're good for, and just generally know her way around an aircraft.

Both characters did amazing feats of piloting, given their limited experience. This could be chalked up to beginner's luck or being extremely Force sensitive (most likely explanation within the context of the films).

Combat Abilities

Luke is a farmboy and as such, probably didn't do a lot of martial combat. He carries his rifle along with him and has no doubt dealt with Tuskens and the other harsh inhabitants of Tatooine. He didn't really do anything all that impressive with his lightsaber in any of the movies except square off against Vader, who could have certainly been pulling his punches or otherwise not at his top form due to his inner conflict over his son. I feel like his performance versus his training were fairly well represented.

Rey is a scavenger from a harsh planet and carries a bo staff along with her and no ranged weaponry that I can recall. We can safely assume she does a great deal of martial combat and exhibits as much as soon as she meets Finn. She is clearly adept at melee and this is represented well with her battle against Kylo in TFA and her battle against the guards in TLJ. She was likely under constant threat and attack on Jakku, so it's not too far-fetched to imagine she is a skilled warrior.

Force Abilities:

Luke had the Force explained to him by two of arguably the best wielders of it in Star Wars history. Even so, he didn't really do very many impressive feats on his own. In A New Hope it is debatable that The Force guided him and led him to destroy the Death Star, without a lot of of action on his own behalf. In The Empire Strikes Back, I can recall him struggling to even pull his lightsaber to him in the Wampa cave, needing to close his eyes and really concentrate. Lifting an X-Wing was a feat that proved a bit too difficult for him as well. In Return of the Jedi, I can't really remember anything that jumps out at me as an impressive use of The Force by Luke.

Rey is simply reminded that The Force, the Jedi, and all of it is actually true in TFA. Who knows how much had been handed down as legend and what powers she may have heard of over the years as stories (though one would wonder who told them to her as she seemed to have grown up alone on Jakku). Anyway, if she had heard of what the Jedi were once capable of, it's not too unbelievable that she would try some of the things they were supposed to have done. Perhaps she is extremely Force sensitive and as such feats like Mind Tricks come easier for her. Perhaps bending a person's will using the Force is not so different from lifting a pile of rocks. I wouldn't know based on the movies alone.

Anyway, the point is, they both have some loose justification for their abilities, and given they're both protagonists in a Star Wars trilogy, a little bit of luck, intervention from The Force, and a suspension of disbelief is pretty standard fare for both of them.
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    Options
    Yes Kylo was injured, but he was still made to look weaker than Rey in the first film of a trilogy.

A hero without a significant obstacle to overcome really isn't all that interesting to me personally.

Vader was always that obstacle and he played that role perfectly throughout the trilogy. The fact that Vader bowed down to the Emperor while being such a badass tells us all we really need to know about the Emperor.

While I actually liked the idea of Kylo dealing with his own inner conflict, they either needed him to become a true force or keep Snoke alive to be that final obstacle for both Rey and Kylo in the final film.

Instead Snoke is killed but Kylo is still made to look like a fool almost immediately.

The result is we have Kylo who is no longer seen as a credible threat heading into the final film so where is the interest going to come from?

I feel Rey is suffering from inconsistent storytelling more than anything else., but having her be triumphant in 3 consecutive films is not that interesting to me.

• Options
    The original cast thought ep iv was a fairy tale when they first read it. It’s mostly the reason Sir Alec was not a fan. Based on standard literary structure, that makes Luke a Mary Sue. Just. Like. Rey.

OP is exactly right.
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    Options
    snarzenal wrote: »
    The original cast thought ep iv was a fairy tale when they first read it. It’s mostly the reason Sir Alec was not a fan. Based on standard literary structure, that makes Luke a Mary Sue. Just. Like. Rey.

OP is exactly right.

Feel free to explain the standard litersry structure so we can all understand how the cast comparing it to a fairy tale equates to Luke being a Mary Sue.
  • Options
    But how can we ignore also that Luke is Anakin/Darth Vader's son!!??
    The Force is very strong in him due to this.
    To date, we don't know anything useful on Rey's parents (2 stupid wine-drinkers if Kylo said the truth....).
    So... Luke: great, the central hero of the whole saga together with his father. Rey: beautiful character but the true and perfect Mary Sue.
  • Options
    The main protagonists in all fairy tales are a “Mary Sue” by design. It’s what makes them a fairy tale.
  • Options
    For those wondering: Rey is shown to have competent use in Melee weapons and can fight off mutiple thugs at once. She bests finn, who was trained by Phasma. Rey fixes ships well because her entire life centres around ships. She is confident of piloting the quad jumper, so its not that hard to assume she s flown before. Rey doesnt tell Han "Whats the force?" So it is possible she knows about it. Kylo, aside from being injured, has also just killed his dad. Thats gonna affect him a little. His sword also has zero pratical usage having those things at the side. He also needs to fight finn for like 3 seconds. For most of the fight, Reys on the defense. She basically alternates blocking wide attacks and running away. Its not that hard to assume that Kylo loses.
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    Options
    The main protagonists in all fairy tales are a “Mary Sue” by design. It’s what makes them a fairy tale.

Lol no...just no.
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    Options
    WTK is a mary sue?

The term is very subjective but basically it's a character who is too perfect/idealized or accomplished at multiple things beyond reason to be seen as realistic.
  • Options

Lol, you really have no idea what a "Mary Sue" is, do you? Or a fairy tail, for that matter.
  • Options
    Luke got his hand chopped off. Not perfect imo
  • Options
    I wouldn’t say Luke is, but Anakin definitely is.
  • Options
    The T-16 has the same flight system as the X-Wing. Same production company. Same driving components.

So since you either didn't know that, or decided to ignore it, not gonna waste time rebutting the rest.
    Can we rotate out the Moderators?
  • Options

Anakin? Whose hand was chopped off in EPII?
    And later went to the dark side.
  • FierceRevan
    1315 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Fürkész wrote: »

And I don't think Anakin was liked by everybody either. And made lots of mistakes. Speaking of mistakes. Luke made plenty. Rey on the other hand- liked by everyone she meets, no mistakes made, no consequences, has both hands, can fly millennium falcon (a ship that has no counterpart) better than the lifetime owner, can repair it. Can outfly those same tie fighters like did even though she was an orphan living alone, where as Luke was getting ready to join the imperial academy and flew a T-16 on the reg

Two Time Golden Poo Award Winner
  • Options
    There’s a lot of people that take a fairy tale meant for 12 year olds, way too seriously.
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    Options
    There’s a lot of people that take a fairy tale meant for 12 year olds, way too seriously.

Says the guy using words he doesn't actually understand in an attempt to sound like an authority on a subject meant for 12 year olds.

• Options
    Fürkész wrote: »

It’s more about the fact that they made him space Jesus. He was literally born of a virgin birth and his father was -god- the Force. They invented a scale called midichlorians just so the could say he was off the scale and that he was stronger than Yoda. He was, at 9 years old, the only human being who could podrace and managed to blow up the trade federation capital ship despite never flying before. Later on he is described as both the most powerful Jedi ever and the best pilot in the entire galaxy.

That being said, I don’t have a problem with that. There’s a reason we’re watching Anakin and Luke and Rey and not Eeth Koth. Some stories call for powerful heroes. It’s why Superman and Hercules and people like them are such popular characters.