Too much rng in ships

Prev1
Here is my feedback on ships:

1. Ships are important. It is at least the second most important part of the game if not the most important, because you earn a lot of crystals in the top 5 and you can buy zeta mats with the currency.
2. There are very few viable ships which leads to
3. Ships are very annoying because a) in developed shards in the top 20 there is 90% mirror matches and b) it basically boild down to who applies more target locks and c) if your TFP dodges a good amount of times.

So basically ships are very important and at the same time the single most rng dependant part of the game ("50% chance to attack again", "70% chance to inflict target lock", "4x % chance to dodge" and so on.) which makes it a nightmare.
Just to illustrate how extremely rng dependant it is: I fought my shardmate the last four days every day and won easily. Today I tried it six(!) times and lost every time. It's ridicoulous. He assured me he hasn't changed a single thing and neither did I.

So my biggest wish is: Do something that RNG is not the most deciding factor in mirror matches.

Replies

• Options
    We need more ships and their equivalent of mods, which they have a slot for. This will help make it less rng dependent. My ships aren't getting me in the top 20 so I only do my daily battle. I don't like them that much for the same reasons you pointed out.
  • hilikus
    109 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    phinfan309 wrote: »
    We need more ships and their equivalent of mods, which they have a slot for. This will help make it less rng dependent. My ships aren't getting me in the top 20 so I only do my daily battle. I don't like them that much for the same reasons you pointed out.

At this point I dont care how they do it but they need to really dampen the effect of RNG in ships. I finfish top 5 every day but the rng dependancy is really annoying and killing the fun. For the longest time ships are not treated as any priority. I mean the bug where you couldnt chose a specific ship on the opponents lineup was there for months before they fixed it. And now with the crystals it is at least the second most important part of the game.
  • Options
    I gathered stats for a week of ship battles and found a few things:

1) enemy tie fighters dodge 8/10 times, my tie fighter dodges 5/10 times
    2) first move appears to be random. I have higher crew power, faster speed, higher ship power in several battles I moved third or fourth in.
    3) Same thing applies to capital ships.
    4) RNG appears to be streaky. Battles I lose, I lose badly with no rolls appearing to 'go my way'.

Based on this I have requested a refund from Apple of all money I spent on crystals since the launch of ships due to in game rewards not as promised. I spend crystals (money) on a ship only to have random results instead of the promised advantage.
  • Options
    Hazakar wrote: »

2) first move appears to be random. I have higher crew power, faster speed, higher ship power in several battles I moved third or fourth in.
    4) RNG appears to be streaky. Battles I lose, I lose badly with no rolls appearing to 'go my way'.

Based on this I have requested a refund from Apple of all money I spent on crystals since the launch of ships due to in game rewards not as promised. I spend crystals (money) on a ship only to have random results instead of the promised advantage.

Standard practice for companies is to ban/block people who do charge backs. If apple grants it to you, expect to lose your account...

Good job.
  • Options
    while Hazakar did take it way too far, it is a good showcase of how annoying rng actually can be. So my point stands: The impact of rng in ships needs to be way way tuned down.
  • Options
    Hazakar wrote: »

TROLL ACTIVATE.

If both of you spent money, then both of you got the promised advanatge, therefore no advantage, therefore RNG is okay.

@Hazakar
  • Options
    Lets not lose focus over that one troll post please.

You can spend money or not. In Top end there is only so much to do and it comes down to who applies more Taregt Lock (which is heavily RNG based) and whose TFP evades more often (which also is extremely rng based). All that rng is just annoying, its not a matter of P2P vs F2P imho.
  • Options
    IMO, ships are no different than everything else in this game. RNG is everywhere. You win some, you lose some.
  • Options
    The difference is: Ships dont endure as much as Toons in fights.
    Also: The main things: Target Lock and TFP are extremeley rng reliant. Nowhere in the other arena is that much rng involved. Not even close.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    First things first, we need more ships. Give Nute his Capital Ship, Holdo (yuck, I know), Snoke and Supremacy in March, and maybe a few others (Malevolence comes to mind, with a group stun ultimate. I like Grievous' starfighter, but he would be a cool fleet commander too), Nihilus and the Ravager.
    We need a LOT more starfighters (JKA, Luke, Dooku, Kenobi, Palpatine/RG shuttle, IG-88, Vulture droid, etc), but first and foremost THE REAL MILLENNIUM FALCON (with CLS level OPness - perhaps a dual heroes journey for OG Chewy and OG Falcon?).
    If they drop a massive ships update, the variety will shake up fleet arena for at least a few months, with all the new combos to try out. And if things get stale after that, they can introduce hardware and other stuff.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    I know the easiest answer isn't always the best answer. But in this case I think it is. So here is my solution to all these problems.

Eliminate ships from swgoh.
  • Options
    ProximaB1_ wrote: »
    I know the easiest answer isn't always the best answer. But in this case I think it is. So here is my solution to all these problems.

Um no. This is horrible honestly why would you even suggest it ?

I'm only asking because the majority of people who want ships gone are people who decided they wanted nothing to do with ships and then crystals were added and then...rage ensued because they were missing out.

So if there is another reason feel free to share...ships could have an amazing dynamic great raid potential and is fun to theorycraft.

On a side note the OP is just flat wrong on a number of accounts. (Every single ship in the game is viable under the right capital ship)
  • Options
    To reiterate #2 is flat out wrong almost every ship is viable if used correctly.

ITF dodge is frequently posted as OP...it's a joke if you deal with it properly

Biggs Regen same thing. They are easily dealt with if you look at the opposing fleet before you go in and select the ships that can mop the floor with them

If all else fails and you can't win at ships the new answer is get thrawn lol.

Find ships with ITF, reaper and falcon in them...use fast ships kill them quick easy win
  • BowTiesAreCool
    58 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I love fleet. Always did. I have a g12 plo koon, cause fleet. Get 1st or 2nd every day with shard mates. Life is good.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    TFP dodge should not even be an afterthought. Open with POE if TFP is not g12 he dies (if poe is geared) if not he is in the red. Then ignore him till Falcon, Ghost, FOSPTP, or Thrawns AOE get's him or just ignore him till last where the dodges don't mean so much. At least when he's dodging the AOE's your still damaging the other ships.

Now if you don't have POE the ignore him till last strategy works best. If your fighting Mace or plo who place a taunt on TFP (you hopefully see this before fight starts) and expect a dodge or two but have a dispeler (vader, fives, FOshuttle to dispel it and then go back to ignoring it.

other than that not really else you can do but accept the dodge RNG but at least you had a plan that works most of the time in place before RNGesus slaps you :)
  • Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »

Um no. This is horrible honestly why would you even suggest it ?

I'm only asking because the majority of people who want ships gone are people who decided they wanted nothing to do with ships and then crystals were added and then...rage ensued because they were missing out.

So if there is another reason feel free to share...ships could have an amazing dynamic great raid potential and is fun to theorycraft.

On a side note the OP is just flat wrong on a number of accounts. (Every single ship in the game is viable under the right capital ship)

I actually have decent ships. I just don't enjoy any part of ship battles. Honestly if I didn't need fleet currency I wouldn't even bother auto battling ship battles. I normally finish fleet arena between 50-100. I only auto battle and normally don't even do more then one. Here is my problems all ships are carbon copy's of each other. There are four lead ships which is horrible enough. But to be competitive there really is only one. I have no clue why they added reinforcements. Its only purpose as far as I can tell is to give the offensive player an even bigger advantage than the horrible ai. In conclusion no strategy, no diversity, and one leadership ability.
  • Options

I would like to see that. From what I have seen in my guild and on my shard. In top50 its 90%ish Thrawn, 8%ish Tarkin and 2%ish Mace. That is on mature shards. And those all have the same basic startup: TFP, Reaper, Advanced, Biggs, FO Tie.
    Sometimes you see gauntlet on the whales but thats it. So most of the battles are mirror matches and they are decided by rng, which blows imho. I would love to be proven wrong though, so please share.
  • Options
    Hardware would go a long way in diversifying the arena.

It would be even nicer if each faction had a minimum of five ships(two new ships each month and after only five this becomes reality). Clones need two more ships, empire needs one, first order could use another and maybe even a capital ship, resistance needs two, separatist could use two more and sith could add another three. Bearing in mind that ships can also carry multiple faction tags, ex. Tie Advanced being both empire and sith, adding even just one additional ship in a month can be enough to shake things up.
  • Options
    jwoah wrote: »
    Hardware would go a long way in diversifying the arena.

It would be even nicer if each faction had a minimum of five ships(two new ships each month and after only five this becomes reality). Clones need two more ships, empire needs one, first order could use another and maybe even a capital ship, resistance needs two, separatist could use two more and sith could add another three. Bearing in mind that ships can also carry multiple faction tags, ex. Tie Advanced being both empire and sith, adding even just one additional ship in a month can be enough to shake things up.

Also a separatists capital ship is needed.
  • Options

Yeah I agree but the current separatists' ships aren't strong enough that I felt like a separatist capital ship wouldn't be worth it yet. When they add more ships a capital ship(Grevious) should definitely get added.
  • Options
    This thread is 100% right. The point that was glossed over is that Thrawn's capital ship is way OP compared to every other fleet commander. I run Tarkin and before Thrawn I would easily win without having to use my special. Now, I am pretty much hoping I last until I can use it. Thrawn has made arena carbon copies. Before Thrawn people ran all sorts of fleet combos in my shard. Now it's all the same.
  • Options
    jwoah wrote: »

Yeah I agree but the current separatists' ships aren't strong enough that I felt like a separatist capital ship wouldn't be worth it yet. When they add more ships a capital ship(Grevious) should definitely get added.

They need some help that's for sure. There main problem is they are slow. A capital ship would help a lot. Also if used with maul ship genosian spy can use his special to take anyone out. His biggest problem is ai doesn't set him up to succeed so he is useless as a defensive toon.
  • Options
    Quick update: after providing my data to Apple, I got the last thirty days of purchases refunded.
    Call me a troll but I do know that the most effective way to get a change made to a game is to affect the dollars involved.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    hilikus wrote: »

I would like to see that. From what I have seen in my guild and on my shard. In top50 its 90%ish Thrawn, 8%ish Tarkin and 2%ish Mace. That is on mature shards. And those all have the same basic startup: TFP, Reaper, Advanced, Biggs, FO Tie.
    Sometimes you see gauntlet on the whales but thats it. So most of the battles are mirror matches and they are decided by rng, which blows imho. I would love to be proven wrong though, so please share.

Any 5 ships can win on offense again it's defense that everyone is trying to figure out....

Your seeing the same ships because everyone put in their strongest ships for what they think holds on D. Or to have the highest power rating.

It does not mean you can't take 1sts with the (worst 5-7ship) as long as they are geared and starred

I do agree I am seeing the same teams over and over (which is good becaue what they think is good is horrrrrrrrrrible on D

• Options
    Any 5 ships can win on offense again it's defense that everyone is trying to figure out...
    Now you are just trolling. Proof or didnt happen.
  • Options
    Lately in this game i feel i need much more luck rather that strategy.

My enemy and i have same tie fighter, pilot have same g12 and all upgrade. Who shoot first? RNG DECIDED. And how about whose target lock land first? RNG DECIDED. Even if u are math professor, u can't count the number. Just give people easy answer: RNG FACTOR.

In short, bad design :expressionless:
  • Options
    Exactly my point @RacerDejak
    It gets even worse: rng if you hit a second time where each hit has an rng that it applies target lock.

Given how much impact ships arena has on the rest of the game, it’s awful
  • Options
    RacerDejak wrote: »

My enemy and i have same tie fighter, pilot have same g12 and all upgrade. Who shoot first? RNG DECIDED. And how about whose target lock land first? RNG DECIDED. Even if u are math professor, u can't count the number. Just give people easy answer: RNG FACTOR.

How would you change this so skill is involved?
  • Options
    hilikus wrote: »
    Exactly my point @RacerDejak
    It gets even worse: rng if you hit a second time where each hit has an rng that it applies target lock.

Given how much impact ships arena has on the rest of the game, it’s awful

Can't complain more @hilikus , i sometimes lose but i can't accept defeat if decided by RNG factor. There's nothing to improve anymore since i have them all maxed. What i need to improve is my luck. And bloody how i can improve my luck?
    :expressionless:
  • Options
    swgohfan29 wrote: »
    RacerDejak wrote: »

How would you change this so skill is involved?

Idk how it's suppose to be to make things right. I obviously want the hardware "COMING SOON" part. But we all know they will monetize it. So idk what's worse: Rely on RNG factor, or must spend to boost ur fleet. Obviously those two still result of bad design.