So is this the way communications are going?

Replies

• Options
    It actually takes up less of their time to just post here, rather than doing YouTube and podcasts.
  • Options
    On a completely adjacent topic, I didn't even realize you are a moderator but it has been my experience that none have behaved as you have. I want to thank you for allowing people to speak their mind and leaving this open, with very little adjustment to people's posts. I never would have expected this thing to flourish and remain open.

Seconded. I've also always appreciated when you move threads (a generally unpopular move), you usually make the effort to comment on them as well.
    :star: for you!
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    On a completely adjacent topic, I didn't even realize you are a moderator but it has been my experience that none have behaved as you have. I want to thank you for allowing people to speak their mind and leaving this open, with very little adjustment to people's posts. I never would have expected this thing to flourish and remain open.

This has been a fruitful discussion and is information that we all hope makes it to the right people. Positive/negative comments are what the forum is here for, as long as it doesn't violate the forum guidelines and stays relatively on topic, no need to do anything on my end.

We are a community and I think we are here because we like the game and want to make it better, that includes the forums (in my mind).
  • Options
    I like what they are trying to do just for the sake of trying. Sometimes things go great, sometimes they fail. That’s life it happens all the time.
    If it fails- recalibrate. Tweak. Little fixes that go a long way.
    More information is fantastic. We love it. We also love these forums. .. more information on the forums.

I don’t know why but there is this feeling of getting something right and never going back to it. That’s false. This is a relationship, relationships constantly need work and communication and some recalibration. This is not a mountain climb where you reach the peak, put it on instagram and done. It’s a long continuous journey.

Kyno I always give you a lot of credit, esp here. Because you are all over this and presenting it in a great way. And I know there is no CM right now but this is a topic where someone on the dev side should engage in converstation. “We re trying to spread information in different locations to make it more fun.”
    - “ah we weren’t aware of the hearing impaired players we have here, thanks for saying something.”
    - “guys we will talk about this with the team, and see if we can improve on it, I’ll comment back here when I know more.”
    Or even an “Eff Hugh! You want info you got it!”

Work is never done. There’s always fires to put out but like it or not this is a relationship and communication is key.
    Ex- keeping an eye on this thread. Expect more videos, not because we re not listening, but they were already scheduled.

Engage with the people on here. No need to not post in 2 weeks and then boom once and then hideaway for a bit. Get into some convos.

Side note- places of power unspoken change of requirements is a great reason why many members on here are sceptical of any improvement in communication. It is very hard for us to distinguish what is sneaky and an honest mistake now.

• Options
    Is it just me or are all of these video updates totally annoying? I hate having to sit through a 20 minute q&a, when all I want to know is exactly what’s coming that’s new and when it will be released. We’ve gotten pop up ads for major new updates to ships, guilds, quests, etc etc, and this morning, one of the podcasts even had all the kit info for the bounty hunter rework, but nothing has been posted here, on the actual game forum. Does anyone know why there are no basic updates anymore?
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    KrakenFabs wrote: »
    Is it just me or are all of these video updates totally annoying? I hate having to sit through a 20 minute q&a, when all I want to know is exactly what’s coming that’s new and when it will be released. We’ve gotten pop up ads for major new updates to ships, guilds, quests, etc etc, and this morning, one of the podcasts even had all the kit info for the bounty hunter rework, but nothing has been posted here, on the actual game forum. Does anyone know why there are no basic updates anymore?

Basic updates come with release.

Here is what we are thinking here is how it might work but ita not redy and we arent releasing it comes by video.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I have zero problem with them releasing information that has an asterisk as subject to change. They used to do that. In fact if you don't understand that as a baseline anyway for this game there's probably no helping you.

Just so I'm clear, that's you in the general term, not an attack on you you.

But I want it right here on this forum coming from somebody with a CG in front of their name. That is not unreasonable.

I don't want it coming from a link in game that is almost unavoidable if you are prone to fat fingering, that takes me out of the game, that takes me to somebody who thinks they're a comedian while they play Arena videos through most of it.

I don't want five minutes out of triple that time to be devoted to the actual reason I clicked on the video, and I don't want it from a podcast because I don't listen to podcasts and I'm reaaaalllly not going to start for this.

It's brilliant that they are trying to reach new levels of interactivity and transparency, but if that's the case, then they ought to release here alongside whatever link has been pushed forward as the flavor of the day, alongside all the other changes that have been detailed and requested and do not strike me as unreasonable in the least, over the last few pages.

There have been some terrific suggestions put forth, and they would do very well to remark on those as something that they would look at it if they find at all appealing and insist on maintaining this behavior.

I agree this would be nice, but it seems like double (or even triple) the work.

First being the interviews, which I'm sure it's hard with @CG_Erik looming over their shoulders giving the approving nod when it's ok to answer (had to call him out, hes claiming to not be shy :smile: )

Then get it in writing, which may actually need more approvals than the spoken word (odd I know but it can be the case)

Then the official release, which may not really be a complete 3rd step, but since everything before was subject to change it could be a 50% rework of the first write-up.

I'm not saying the wroten word isn't easier(or possibly required for some) or preferred by people, but the first 2 steps of that are just to spark the conversation and try to meet the community "demands", I just feel we need to give them some openness as to how they fill the needs we are asking them to.
  • Options
    But why advertise it like it’s ready? I get the discussions on video, just not the actual announcements.
  • Options
    Then it's really quite simple. If they permit it to be in a YouTubers video, then it's permitted to be released by an official employee here as well. It really is just as simple as that, if the reasons you have laid out are in fact the reasons they won't post here.

If it's permissible to be shared through an interview, it's permissible to be shared here. There's just no excusing it away that I will accept.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Options
    Oh, you should get a look at the seven-page monster above your post. You aren't alone in this assessment.
  • Options
    Any GC Videos put out by CG should be in an announcement format with the relevant information laid out by CG. Then you can watch the video if you want.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I think we pretty much all expect the hunter official announcement today. They wouldn't have authorized that podcast to go live unless they were going to follow up within the day.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with no expectation that will do anything at all, that perhaps there will come some response to this alongside that.
  • Mahbrethir
    234 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yeah, I despise the way they're releasing content. And I applaud the efforts of people transcribing and summarizing the videos. But this is massive regression in communication on the part of the devs.

I don't want to sit through 20 minutes of generic game play and "welcome to my channel" "back again with another video" crap for a paragraph's worth of content.

@CG_Carrie tagging you, respectfully, because I think this is criticism that you, in your role, need to hear.
  • Options
    Funnily enough I now find myself avoiding the gamechangers I used to watch a lot of mobilegamers and ahnaldts videos but don't anymore because I'm too busy looking for the latest transcript on the forums
  • Options
    Also, while we're talking about communication, it would be nice if you guys didn't edit announcement posts.
    If you post an announcement on April 1, teasing something (rework, game mode, whatever), then edit the announcement, it doesn't show that anything has changed with the post.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Having now seen the new post with his kit revealed in the inclusion of a plethora of game-changer videos, I am now convinced that the delay in information is not on CGs part, it's on the game-changers editing their videos and submitting to CG for inclusion.

Further. Insidious. Favoritism.

And it's to the detriment of everybody except those video makers.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    Also, while we're talking about communication, it would be nice if you guys didn't edit announcement posts.
    If you post an announcement on April 1, teasing something (rework, game mode, whatever), then edit the announcement, it doesn't show that anything has changed with the post.

They have started adding an additional post to mark edits with a date/time stamp and what was changed
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Having now seen the new post with his kit revealed in the inclusion of a plethora of game-changer videos, I am now convinced that the delay in information is not on CGs part, it's on the game-changers editing their videos and submitting to CG for inclusion.

But.... but.... uuuhhggg...

I'm sorry but there is literally no evidence of that, at all....

This has been the normal practice for the last few kit reveals, I believe the only difference was previously they would be 2 separate posts....
  • Options
    Of course there's been no evidence, what evidence could there possibly be allowed?

What I do have is a gut hunch and instinct which has pretty much always served me right, and we have incontrovertible and undeniable proof right here on these forums that communication of the official variety has gotten further and further.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Of course there's been no evidence, what evidence could there possibly be allowed?

What I do have is a gut hunch and instinct which has pretty much always served me right, and we have incontrovertible and undeniable proof right here on these forums that communication of the official variety has gotten further and further.

When they have something of the official variety they are going to share it. Some times we just have a "slow news week"

• DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    With all due respect, I don't know how you can possibly say slow news week with a straight face, unless you just forgot to say official news week.
  • Options
    I enjoy the videos. I agree a written accompaniment would be nice, as I don't always have time to watch the videos. I guess I don't really mind though, as there is always someone in any decent guild who has watched any given video. I would say if that's not your experience, you either need a new guild, or you're too casual a player to care one way or the other to begin with.
    I do appreciate the comments someone made about disabilities though. There is something to be considered to that end for sure. Let's just remember the devs are trying here. Every decision isn't gonna be a winner on all fronts.
  • Options
    Rmaxtpmx wrote: »
    I enjoy the videos. I agree a written accompaniment would be nice, as I don't always have time to watch the videos. I guess I don't really mind though, as there is always someone in any decent guild who has watched any given video. I would say if that's not your experience, you either need a new guild, or you're too casual a player to care one way or the other to begin with.
    I do appreciate the comments someone made about disabilities though. There is something to be considered to that end for sure. Let's just remember the devs are trying here. Every decision isn't gonna be a winner on all fronts.

Totally agree, and appreciate the increase communication in recent weeks overall.

• Options
    Pls just go back to official announcements in txt format here...
    no time to watch a long video to get no more information than we used to here...
  • Degs29
    361 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Yeah, that's great hes doing it, but that shouldn't fall to him as "his job". I am wondering if this is a temporary thing until they have a full time community manager.

A game at this level should definitely have a full time community manager!
  • Options
    Having a host of friends in the deaf community (both impaired and able educators), I’ll offer support for Jaaia’s comments encouraging EA to offer a written overview of upcoming changes.

I don’t watch every GC video, but I do watch them (or portions of them) intermittently on subjects of interest. Ahnold seems like a guy I could have a beer with and there’s a Brit that amuses me as well. I also enjoy hearing the more humanized interactions with Carrie and her team. Spoken content in general is relaxing for me. It feels like I’m friends with the hosts even though they don’t know me from Adam.

I think a reasonable compromise would be to include a hyperlink on the pop-ups to a written summary. Or if you’re hell-bent on eliminating ANY chance of lowering traffic to the GC’s, start offering said summaries in the announcements section as early as the GC’s are covering them.
  • Revi
    573 posts Member
    Options
    Good point, using gamechanger videos as "communication" is a bit of a scape goat for the issue.
  • Options
    KrakenFabs wrote: »
    Is it just me or are all of these video updates totally annoying?

Not remotely for me, because I don't watch them :) easy.

• Options
    I like the videos, but I admit I run to sites other than this one to get the tl;dr version first. I'll watch when it's convenient for me. An official transcript would be nice, but I'm not brandishing my torch or pitchfork over it. Plenty of other issues still hanging around for that.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options

??? How? How are some video interviews hurting anyone, and why is it insidious?