what does Target Lock do on toons exactly?

Prev1
M_L
469 posts Member
now that we have more than IPD who can target lock, what does target lock do by itself?

i don't have IPD zeta'd, and it seems like its TL's description of "can't gain buffs" is really an effect of the zeta, so my question is, what does just regular target lock, say from ig88, do? just -25% evasion?

hoping the community can help out, many thanks

Replies

• Options
    Apparently it does whatever it's programmed to do, if so, and nothing else. It's a "by exclusive design" ability, apparently.

I had the same question, so I boosted up my Probe Droid just enough to find out, took him to GW and had him debuff someone, and that was all it said.

Provides abilities with extra benefits, or something to that effect.

Someone else will elaborate I'm sure, but basically: unless it's told to modify an ability, it does nothing at all.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to strategy section... thought it said it in IPDs kit. But nope...
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Target lock: "enemy attacks gain bonus effects"
    in case of IPD, he removes TM from target locked enemies.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36634 posts Member
    Options
    More than that. It says it in his (?) kit.

Special · Level 8
    Detect 4 turn cooldown
    Dispel all buffs on all enemies with a 75% chance to inflict Target Lock for 2 turns. Then, remove 5% Turn Meter from Target Locked enemies. This attack can't be Evaded.

Self-Destruct
    Special · Level 8
    Self-Destruct 1 turn cooldown
    Imperial Probe Droid instantly defeats itself and can't be Revived. Deal massive damage to target enemy. Deal bonus damage to other enemies equal to 30% of their Max Health. Expose all Target Locked enemies for 2 turns. This attack can't be Evaded. While Imperial Probe Droid has full Health, or has no active allies, the cooldown of this ability is set to max and can't be reduced.

Imperial Logistics
    Unique · Level 8
    Imperial Logistics
    Imperial Probe Droid has +50% Max Health. At the end of each Droid ally turn, at the end of each Empire ally turn, and at the end of each Rebel enemy turn, Imperial Probe Droid gains 3% Turn Meter. While Imperial Probe Droid is active, Target Locked enemies have -25% Evasion and can't gain buffs.

I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • M_L
    469 posts Member
    Options
    so each type of Target lock, depending on who inflicts it, is different? surprised they're both called the same status then...
  • Options
    M_L wrote: »
    so each type of Target lock, depending on who inflicts it, is different? surprised they're both called the same status then...

Not who inflicts it, but who is present when it’s active. So there is now synergy between IPD and 88 because target lock will do more if they are both present.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    M_L wrote: »

having different character specific "effects" from TL, it grants a sort of synergy that wouldn't exsits if they were all from unique debuffs.
  • Swordd
    161 posts Member
    Options
    I like the design. Rather than introduce a ton of unique debuffs, you can have this one debuff that interacts differently depending on who is present in battle. As already mentioned, IPD and IG88 are going to have awesome synergy with their additive target lock abilities, and I am sure they won't be the last.

My only concern is that it is a very open-ended thing to balance. You have to make sure, if say 20 characters end up with target lock abilities, that none of them form a broken loop. That's 15k+ combinations that can potentially be formed if you make a 5 man team out of 20 possibilities. There's a lot of potential for brokenness here, which I think will ultimately limit how widely they use target lock.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Swordd wrote: »

My only concern is that it is a very open-ended thing to balance. You have to make sure, if say 20 characters end up with target lock abilities, that none of them form a broken loop. That's 15k+ combinations that can potentially be formed if you make a 5 man team out of 20 possibilities. There's a lot of potential for brokenness here, which I think will ultimately limit how widely they use target lock.

Well I would think it's safe to say that it would be limited to droids.
  • Goodgil
    349 posts Member
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Swordd wrote: »

Well I would think it's safe to say that it would be limited to droids.

Well, I'm not sure about that. Scout Trooper has an ability that inflicted target lock on one enemy, so he's probably keeping that when he'll turn to a playable toon.

I think the way to keep it balanced is to limit the number of toons that benefit from it. It might not all be droids, but if the only release 5 toons that with with TL, it could work.

And let's not forget one thing - the effects of TL depends on the toon staying alive. IG 88 is squishy, while Probe Droid literally blows himself up. So there are ways to control this.
  • Options
    IPD’s zeta prevents targets gaining buffs - but B2 does that with his special at 65%.....so is IPD zeta worth it??
  • Nema
    136 posts Member
    Options
    Absolutely because now there's extra synergy with ig88. An ig88 led droid team is going to be good.

Ig88
    Ipd
    Bb8
    R2
    Chopper

Plenty of synergy and bonuses and assists
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    The simple way to think of it is its just like ships. Each ship (character) gets a unique bonus activated when attacking an enemy with TL. Biggs calls an ally to assist. JC gives Defense up to a random ally. Cassian gains extra TM, etc.

So TL is basically a generic "unlock" for certain abilities on different characters.
  • Options
    Nema wrote: »
    Absolutely because now there's extra synergy with ig88. An ig88 led droid team is going to be good.

Ig88
    Ipd
    Bb8
    R2
    Chopper

HK still has the best droid leadership.
  • M_L
    469 posts Member
    Options
    @VonZant thank you, that's actually helpful. i actually wish there was an in game glossary for all the status effects. it's getting to a point where i can barely remember what all the status effects do... haha
  • Options
    Liamtbqh wrote: »

Ig88
    Ipd
    Bb8
    R2
    Chopper

Yea HK is still definitely the best droid leader, IG88 might be good as a BH leader, either way you VERY MUCH want IG88 on either team, his unique + TL is crazy good, gives him way more survivability and... have you seen that zeta 0_o

I've used droids/Empire/BH almost 2 years I guess so I'm super excited to unlock IPD now!

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    perfstz wrote: »
    Liamtbqh wrote: »

Ig88
    Ipd
    Bb8
    R2
    Chopper

Yea HK is still definitely the best droid leader, IG88 might be good as a BH leader, either way you VERY MUCH want IG88 on either team, his unique + TL is crazy good, gives him way more survivability and... have you seen that zeta 0_o

I've used droids/Empire/BH almost 2 years I guess so I'm super excited to unlock IPD now!

HK just needs the BH tag and his own contract. I'm kind of looking forward to another DS pve level to try 88 lead and borrow an HK (or vice versa)
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    The biggest benefit of IG-88's leadership is that it applies to a lot of non-bounty-hunters, too, so it could be useful for cross-faction draw.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    What you need with IG88 and Probot might not be more droids, but Mother Talzin. Otherwise the Target Lock will just get dispelled.
    ... but with Talzin, Target Lock means that you have Buff Immunity, Healing Immunity, and Protection Heal Immunity that can't be dispelled.
    Plus IG88's bonuses vs. Target Locked enemies.
    Add, say, GK and Zombie as tanks. Or GK and ROLO (for the 10 Dots that she can inflict with her AoE under IG88 lead) or whatever...
  • Options
    Caiaphas wrote: »
    ... but with Talzin, Target Lock means that you have Buff Immunity, Healing Immunity, and Protection Heal Immunity that can't be dispelled.

What do you mean by this? I don’t see what Talzin adds to the lineup
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Plague blocks cleans, and heal block as part of Target Lock means you can't get rid of Plague by healing.
    Still not a he.
  • Caiaphas
    187 posts Member
    Options
    Aye - with Target Lock and IG88 zeta, you are heal immune, so you can't heal to get rid of plague, and if you have plague you can't dispell to get rid of Target Lock.

So you are essentially heal immune prot regen immune, and buff immune... and you can't do anything about it. Even Sion won't be able to taunt under those circumstances. Even CLS won't be able to get rid of Target Lock and Plague, since Call to Action (1) dispells all debuffs on Luke (which fails due to plague), and (2) heal 40% health and protection, which fails due to Target Lock.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    I believe there is a way to get rid of that Plague on at least some members of your team. HP equalizing effects bypass healing immunity, so that can be used to heal at least some members of your team to full through the target lock.
    Still not a he.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    I believe there is a way to get rid of that Plague on at least some members of your team. HP equalizing effects bypass healing immunity, so that can be used to heal at least some members of your team to full through the target lock.

i believe health equalizing never results in any toon "equalizing" to full health.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

i believe health equalizing never results in any toon "equalizing" to full health.

Correct. Most of them have heals attached at the end of them (Like Barriss or Hoda) which often bring many toons back to full health, but the equalizing effect will never bring anyone to 100% health.
  • Options
    Plague blocks cleans, and heal block as part of Target Lock means you can't get rid of Plague by healing.

OUCH!
  • Options
    New buff/debuff combos.
    Nerd Heaven!
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Moogaroosh wrote: »
    New buff/debuff combos.
    Nerd Heaven!

It's not exactly new.... zzWampa + Talzin are already being used in many teams. This would just allow the combo to happen earlier in the match.
  • TVF
    36634 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

It does if they're all full health already. :p
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Caiaphas
    187 posts Member
    Options
    Warning to those that would otherwise try it:

The combo of zIG88, zProbot, and zTalzin does NOT work in practice. It fails due to IG88. His 3 health and 7 protection, and 2 potency, means that a care bear can kill him, he can't land target lock, and so he is a waste of space.

In a full BH squad he might be useful, but in squads made up of Boba, Talzin, IG88, Probot, Wampa, Zombie, GK, etc... well I cant get it to work at all. My last match was versus a Palp lead, and I pressed the screen a grand total of 0 times. Got no turns at all.