4x speed doesn't also accelerate the arena clock

Prev1
Tryxa
179 posts Member
I noticed the other day that when you set arena matches to 4x speed, the arena timer remains at a 1x speed. It doesn't seem like an intended effect -- you can basically cram 4x as many moves in the same amount of time. You should fix it so that if you play accelerated in a timed match (character or ship), the time also accelerates accordingly, so that there are no unintended advantages.

Replies

• Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    That seems kind of dumb to speed up the timer. Time out teams would love this change. There are zero advantages on offense with the current setup. How many times would you time out on offense if this change happened?

To add to this, if you speed up the timer by x4 you’re looking at a one minute and 15 second match. That seems like a fun time to try to win a match.
  • Options
    Terrible idea,

The 2x and 4x were introduced as a direct result of people complaint that you can’t fight enough in five minutes to win. Hence the reference to time out teams. Either way, whether it’s for that reason, or simply to expedite the time spent in a match. Increasing the timer speed is completely counterproductive to the exact reasons why they put 2x and 4x in game in the first place.
  • Options
    Do not try to fix something that is not broken.
  • big_bad
    97 posts Member
    Options
    What you are describing is absolutely an intended effect. The devs explained that this was the case when they introduced 4x speed. As others have said, to change this would be terrible.
  • Options
    Oh can you imagine the carnage on this board if that was a thing.

The cheaters wouldn't mind of course, it'd just speed up their cheating.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Tryxa
    179 posts Member
    Options
    Terrible idea,

The 2x and 4x were introduced as a direct result of people complaint that you can’t fight enough in five minutes to win.

Then why not just increase the clock instead of punishing players who prefer to savor the game?
  • swgohfan29
    1147 posts Member
    Options
    It appears that the players are now competing with the devs for "worst idea in game". The players are making excellent pogress.
    Tryxa wrote: »
    Terrible idea,

The 2x and 4x were introduced as a direct result of people complaint that you can’t fight enough in five minutes to win.

Then why not just increase the clock instead of punishing players who prefer to savor the game?

Beacause i will lock you out for 20 mins out of your payout.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    I noticed the other day that when you set arena matches to 4x speed, the arena timer remains at a 1x speed.

There is no feature/option to increase the speed of arena matches. There is, however, an option to increase the animation speed — and that's what it does.
  • Options
    Terrible idea,

There are plenty of other spaces in the game to run at 1x speed and get the full effects of the beautifully designed animations. I agree that they are worth savoring... from time to time. I would contend that for Arena purposes, the 4x gameplay actually rewards players by allowing developers to create more complex mechanics, thus resulting in even more beautifully designed animations! That you'll get to savor outside of squad arena.
  • Options
    Eye roll
  • Tryxa
    179 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    I noticed the other day that when you set arena matches to 4x speed, the arena timer remains at a 1x speed.

There is no feature/option to increase the speed of arena matches. There is, however, an option to increase the animation speed — and that's what it does.

False. The very fact that the increased animation speed is not also paired with increased clock speed effectively creates the increased match speed that you're trying to pretend doesn't exist. We are basically having 20-minute matches in 5 minutes. And that is silly (and inequitable) to me.
  • Options
    This 4x is intended to give players more moves. We used to have just 1x. After a while, it becomes tedious.
  • Options
    At high ranks,people fight for #1 spot just before pay out. If you increase the length of battles, you can effectively lock out everyone else because you can't attack someone who is in battle.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options

False. The very fact that the increased animation speed is not also paired with increased clock speed effectively creates the increased match speed that you're trying to pretend doesn't exist. We are basically having 20-minute matches in 5 minutes. And that is silly (and inequitable) to me.

It's not inequitable because everyone has access to it.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

I'm right you are wrong. The feature is an option to increase animation speed. There is no option to (quoting yourself) " ... set arena matches to 4x speed" like you claimed. You only change the animation speed. Nothing else. That's what the feature does. That is what it's supposed to do.

You may find it silly, that nothing else changes speed, but that's a different subject. I'm still right. You're still wrong.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I'm right you are wrong. The feature is an option to increase animation speed. There is no option to (quoting yourself) " ... set arena matches to 4x speed" like you claimed. You only change the animation speed. Nothing else. That's what the feature does. That is what it's supposed to do.

I'm not agreeing with the OP's larger point but what you've said here is incorrect, or at least missing the OP's point on this issue. By changing the animation speed, you are able to generate more moves for yourself. You have to wait less for both your attacks and the AI attacks before you can go again.

Of course, I see no problem with that, because as I said, it's the same for everyone.
  • Tryxa
    179 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

I'm not agreeing with the OP's larger point but what you've said here is incorrect, or at least missing the OP's point on this issue. By changing the animation speed, you are able to generate more moves for yourself. You have to wait less for both your attacks and the AI attacks before you can go again.

Of course, I see no problem with that, because as I said, it's the same for everyone.

This.

It's inequitable because it means I have to play that way or else be at a disadvantage. It's like saying "you are entitled to my opinion."
  • Tryxa
    179 posts Member
    Options
    jackaldo20 wrote: »
    At high ranks,people fight for #1 spot just before pay out. If you increase the length of battles, you can effectively lock out everyone else because you can't attack someone who is in battle.

Which is another reason to get away from rank-based payouts in favor of achievement-based payouts. But that's a different topic (that I started a separate conversation about).
  • Options

This.

It's inequitable because it means I have to play that way or else be at a disadvantage. It's like saying "you are entitled to my opinion."

In any game where you make decisions that effect the outcome, certain styles of play will be more or less advantageous. Suppose we go with your idea that the clock should speed up as well, I could argue that would give an advantage to time-out teams or other heavy defense lineups. The fact is that no matter how the system is set up there will be some tactics that will be at a disadvantage, the Devs simply decided to give the advantage to the style of play that they think is most exciting and best for the game. The vast majority of players have no problem with how the arena timer works.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

This.

It's inequitable because it means I have to play that way or else be at a disadvantage.

You can still play at 1x. The only way it's a "disadvantage" is if you need to get more moves in - then play at whichever speed best suits your play style (1x, 2x or 4x).

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    It’s not linear though. 4x May speed up the animation by 4 times but it doesn’t mean that players make decisions and click buttons 4 times faster as well.

So with 4x you do get more moves in the 5 minute period, but not 4 times as many.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    kello_511 wrote: »
    It’s not linear though. 4x May speed up the animation by 4 times but it doesn’t mean that players make decisions and click buttons 4 times faster as well.

So with 4x you do get more moves in the 5 minute period, but not 4 times as many.

But the AI does.

See, it's unfair! ;)
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I am fully aware, that you can make more moves in an arena battle by increasing the animation speed. I am also aware, that the feature available is an option to adjust the speed of the animations and nothing else.

When the OP claims, that it must be unintended, that only the animation speed is adjusted and not the timer speed as well, I'm sure, he's wrong. I cannot imagine, that the designers intended it any other way. They got rid of timeout teams back then when they introduced the feature. I'm quite sure, that it was intentional and one of their goals. There is no unintended advantage to fix.

The OP may want the feature to work differently, but that's a different discussion. His oppinion on that matter is as good as anybody elses.
  • Sentia
    280 posts Member
    Options
    Just imagine trying to beat a team with GK, Chaze, Zarris and Hyoda in less than 1min 15 seconds... Time out teams are not the intended path to glory in Arenas.
  • Options

This.

That's absolutely ridiculous. Making a suboptimal decision when you have the same choices as everyone else and getting a suboptimal outcome is not 'inequitable'.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Options
    I noticed the other day that when you set arena matches to 4x speed, the arena timer remains at a 1x speed. It doesn't seem like an intended effect -- you can basically cram 4x as many moves in the same amount of time. You should fix it so that if you play accelerated in a timed match (character or ship), the time also accelerates accordingly, so that there are no unintended advantages.

Literally the worst idea I've ever heard anyone mention.
  • Jml727
    116 posts Member
    Options
    What are you seriously complaining about!? Man out of all things you could complain you pick the one that doesn’t add up...timer is 5 minutes, bottom line. The devs never claimed their increase in speed of battle would make the timer tick away at said current speed. Is it just me or are you trolling?
  • Tryxa
    179 posts Member
    Options
    Jml727 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are you trolling?

Um, it's just you.
  • Tryxa
    179 posts Member
    Options
    If 5 minutes isnt enough time to finish a match, increase the timer. Increasing game speed is silly, and makes it too easy to be hyperfocused on prizes rather than enjoying gameplay. That's all I'm saying. (I didn't say you had to agree with me.)
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Again, @Tryxa: There's no option to increase game speed, Tryxa. There's an option to increase animation speed during battle.