The Problem with Marquee characters and my idea to fix it

TheRevanator
16 posts Member
edited August 2018
as we all know, the past few months have been bombarded with marquee after marquee, and the situation has deteriorated, I understand that CG Carrie and others have finally noticed this issue, but all we have heard is that they will introduce more legendary's, and less marquee's. this would be fine if not for the following problems that make marquee characters frustrating.

1. you only get about 2-3 days, after that the event is gone and it will only be available in packs
2. once the packs expire, we have to wait 2-3 months before they get to chromium packs and shipments
3. then you need to wait another 3 months, and most of the time these characters are put into hard nodes, which make them so infuriating to farm that it can take another 6 months to 7 star these characters

so ultimately, the main weak point of marquee events, is that we have to wait a whole 6 months until we can properly farm them in single hard node farm, which could take another 6-9 months. by that point its a full year, and the games meta could drastically change by then, making these characters unusable.

so here are my solutions for making marquee character problem more bearable

1. when the marquee event is over, immediately put the characters in shipments, there is no reason we have to wait 3 months just to put them in that store, it allows us to at least farm the character better and keep the pace of the game better
2. reduce the time it takes to put a character in a farmable state from 3 months to 1 month at most, 1 month should get you enough data to properly put these characters in the game
3. finally, before putting the character in a store (NOT A HARD NODE!!) you put in a poll and have the community vote on how valuable a character is and where they are useful

this will allow you to analyze how good a character is from the community and put them in a store accordingly, for example

for characters that revitalize a faction or have amazing utility such as bastille or enfys nest, put them in hard to farm stores like guild events or shard shop

for characters who still have utility but fill more niche roles such as jolee, t3, qi-ra, and zaalbar and mission, you can put them in the cantina store or guild store

and for either filler characters that (personal opinion) don't ad much to the game or can't fulfill a roll or for characters you've run out of space for: like young lando, you can put them in Galactic war store

HOWEVER, IM NOT DONE

I also have a solution to the bronzium currency issue, that could help alleviate the issue of marquee characters! I call it, the marquee pack

the pack costs between 2,500-5,00 bronzium (as an example) and you randomly can get 5-10 shards of a marquee character, every single marquee character introduced in this game is put in the pack, and to avoid more cluttering, nothing else will be in the pack, no gear, no credits or ability mats, just marquee

now you would probably get so many different character shards that trying to get a specific character would be impossible, but if you want to avoid players farming the pack, i have a solution to that aswell.
1. make it so the pack is on a cooldown of the pack is to 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock, like stores
2. make it so players that want to refresh the pack have to fork up 50 crystals to refresh the pack
3. finally, if your really single about it, make it so that the pack disappears and won't come back until the next day

and if you ignore all of this advice, and continue to put characters in hard nodes, at least have the decency to increase the amount of tries back to 8, and make this a permanent change. thats all for me, lemme now what you all think

Replies

• Options
    You do realize that marquee release to shipments is 4-6 weeks, then to a farmable spot is another 4-6 weeks right? Your exaggerated 3 month claim per step is ludicrous
  • Options
    You do realize that marquee release to shipments is 4-6 weeks, then to a farmable spot is another 4-6 weeks right? Your exaggerated 3 month claim per step is ludicrous

even if your right, they always put them in a hard node farm, which takes atleast 6 months if you are lucky, the fact is by the time these characters can be put at 7 stars, the games meta has far outpaced them. this is the main problem with these types of characters, not necessarily the time to put them in, but WHERE they put these characters. thats what my solution was mainly about
  • Options
    Also, shall w start the tired debate over what exactly is required to use a char? Seven stars is only needed for raids at the heroic level and late stage Tb , other then that, unlock level and up is perfectly viable for use.
  • Options
    GhostTruckin is correct. Read the character candence. https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/164741/dev-blog-character-release-and-event-cadence-3-30-2018

No point in suggesting cantina, GW or arena stores either. Devs have said nothing will be added to them.
  • TheRevanator
    16 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    GhostTruckin is correct. Read the character candence. https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/164741/dev-blog-character-release-and-event-cadence-3-30-2018

No point in suggesting cantina, GW or arena stores either. Devs have said nothing will be added to them.

thank you for clarifying that for me, i didn't read the cadence so i wasn't sure if Ghost is right, so thank you for that.

as for cantinas, GW, or arena, thats a real shame, as some marquee characters really could be a good fit in those stores. i hope that CG may lighten up that rule in the future
  • TheRevanator
    16 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Also, shall w start the tired debate over what exactly is required to use a char? Seven stars is only needed for raids at the heroic level and late stage Tb , other then that, unlock level and up is perfectly viable for use.

to be fair, i do think that you are right in terms that 7 star characters are not exactly necessary, however, if someone wanted to do that they should have a more streamlined approach to making that possible. im not saying it shouldn't take a lot of time, but 6 months for one character? that is nuts

also, i need to apologize for suspecting your information on when marquee characters are introduced, that i realize i made a mistake over thanks to christoph. so thanks for saying that
  • GhostTruckin
    4020 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I,will also contend that six months is an exaggeration, ;).

Apparently my auto correct has its own opinion regarding the timeframe claims, ;)
    Post edited by GhostTruckin on
  • Options
    I,will also contend that sick months is an exaggeration, ;).

glad we can agree to that now

• 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    The bronzium idea is off due to character unlock shards. I would not trade 5000 tokens for 5 to 10 mace shards when i can hit 80 to trade in shard shop.
  • TheRevanator
    16 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    The bronzium idea is off due to character unlock shards. I would not trade 5000 tokens for 5 to 10 mace shards when i can hit 80 to trade in shard shop.

what do you mean by "hit 80 to unlock" thing? do you refer to the bronzium pack? also this pack is solely for marquee characters, no one else. since its harder to get them in hard nodes, i thought this would be a nice little solution, maybe i should up the values a little but i still think it may be a good idea

• 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yes your suggestion is going to reduce the amount of shards we could gain from a spin of the bronzium pack. Second word in my statement you quoted.
  • Options
    The new characters need to be released a lot later. The whales would have zero reason to buy new toons if they were farmable immediately and then we wouldn’t have a game.
  • Options
    You have to think of marquee characters in terms of their business model. They are the most expensive when offered in packs that cost 1299 crystals and drop an average of 7 shards (like $300 to get to seven stars). They next go to shipments where they cost $100 to bring to seven stars. They need to allow the market to run dry of people willing to shed $300 for a character and then the same with those willing to pay $100 for a character. Then they go F2P and the hard nodes and cantina also entice people to spend crystals which will often time result in people dropping real cash.

As long as enough people buy them early and they remain profitable the cadence won't change. The game has to make money and because of that some things just won't benefit F2P'ers.
  • Tanuki
    136 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Don't see the bronzium request happening.
    Maybe if it was 1mil or so, because the gamble pack costs about $10 and you usually get 5-10. Hard node drops are fine with me, just wish they would do 2 or not make most of them the most expensive ones. Nest did bother me cause it seemed like a ploy to force me to invest in ships. I didn't like ships that much before and now it's even worse. Also pretty sure they ate gonna release 3 events in the near future where we need all the characters they just released so the sooner they get them out hopefully the longer we have to farm them.
  • Options
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »
    The new characters need to be released a lot later. The whales would have zero reason to buy new toons if they were farmable immediately and then we wouldn’t have a game.

yeah, guess your right. the more i think about it, the more i think marquee characters aren't that bad. i just wished some of them weren't so broken :/
  • Options

yeah, guess your right. the more i think about it, the more i think marquee characters aren't that bad. i just wished some of them weren't so broken :/

So you are admitting you were just ranting. Ok case presented, case dismissed
  • Options

So you are admitting you were just ranting. Ok case presented, case dismissed

yeah, although i thought it was a really good idea, it seems there are still much i need to learn. thanks for the discussion though, its been very helpful and enlightening
  • Options
    Pointless thread. It seems very clear that the inly thing CG cares about is making money. (none of the changes of the last 6 months was something that the community wanted)
    As per the proposal, we would get every character in 1-2 months, so it would be pointlrss for anyone to buy them, so it wouldnt generate any income.
  • Options

And thats just NOT ok....

It should be our own choice if we want to farm shards for gear or for new characters in the shops...
    Its a bad excuse for putting all new characters in hard nodes...

I have hated this right from the beginning, because it makes No. Sense... Why have them when they are just left for dust? Come on!
  • Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    There is definitely a point. We know CG's stance but we have to make them understand that it has to change. Happy users are happy consumers, CG will not make everyone a whale and their current stance makes small to medium investment into the game useless as it does not bring any significant advantage. Why bother then?

Six months after release, most non legendary characters should end up in a store. Right now we have none and it has to change. CG has to understand their current stance is not sustainable. The game is always moving forward and new characters are made available every month anyway.
  • UdalCuain
    5011 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I said "no point" as I have resigned myself to the fact CG are gonna do whatever they like regardless of feedback or outrage from the community.
  • Options
    evoluza wrote: »
    Gamorrean wrote: »

It should be our own choice if we want to farm shards for gear or for new characters in the shops...

I have hated this right from the beginning, because it makes No. Sense... Why have them when they are just left for dust? Come on!

They are left, because every old player could have characters put in there immediately.
    I had over 50k in each shop before they stayed, we get nothing new in there.

Oh, I have a conspiracy theory: they are letting us burn through all our saved currency before added stuff to the stores again. It's all a lie.
  • Options
    Gamorrean wrote: »

They are left, because every old player could have characters put in there immediately.
    I had over 50k in each shop before they stayed, we get nothing new in there.

And still, the worst thing is the excuse!
  • Options
    Globuhl wrote: »
    Happy users are happy consumers, CG..

Thats clearly not what CG thinks. If theyd think making the users happy is a factor to consider at least:
    -they would have created STR with a completely different mechanic (without rng fest and annoying prot regens)
    -they would have created a fair reward structure
    -they would have never introduced 3v3 at ships
    -they would have not nerfed Reaper, Acolyte
    -they would have never introduced 6 dot mods
    -they would have never created slicing
    -they would have not flooded the game with useless marquees
    -they would have tested their patches
    And so on and so on.
  • Options
    I kind of agree that we should at least get to vote on were the new characters should be.
    Get good and get a Revan. Ryanwhales
  • Options
    Globuhl wrote: »
    Happy users are happy consumers, CG..

Thats clearly not what CG thinks. If theyd think making the users happy is a factor to consider at least:
    -they would have created STR with a completely different mechanic (without rng fest and annoying prot regens)
    -they would have created a fair reward structure
    -they would have never introduced 3v3 at ships
    -they would have not nerfed Reaper, Acolyte
    -they would have never introduced 6 dot mods
    -they would have never created slicing
    -they would have not flooded the game with useless marquees
    -they would have tested their patches
    And so on and so on.

That's on you, if you don't like, 3vs3,6dot mods, slicing and new characters...

There was a questionaire on fleet2 satisfaction, and 70%+ voted that they dont like it... Hence its not on me, but the majority of the users.
  • Options
    i think i accidentally just started a conversation XD