6 dot mods can only be equipped by g12

Replies

• Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    They already said that they will add slicing materials to Heroic Sith Raid, which I'm thinking is end of september around the same time they said NS Zombie was going to be reworked (I'm guessing they have big plans until mid-september). I did miss the announcement, and thanks for Kyno for pointing it out.

After seeing an overall positive feedback to the 7* wall I don't mind it as much anymore. I'm not in favor of it but I respect the decision since the majority prefers that way in this thread at least. There are plenty of toons available that are f2p to push to 7* that can benefit with your 6 dot mods. Only issue would be gearing them can take a lot of time. Given how powerful the primaries are, I can see 6 dot mods allowing a lot of people to clear Territory Battles and you only need 5 sets of gold mods to move around using loadouts and a good way to keep the difficulty is require g12 toons (meaning you should be able to clear without upgrading to 6 dot). Arena is diverse enough that even without the next big marquee or legendary toon stuck on 5 dot mods, the other 4 can at least use 6 dot mods and there are so many counters with varied abilities that you can use those instead if your problem is mirror matches with mod differences.
  • Options
    Why should they? You’ve accused them of both sneaking something into the fine print and of not warning you about it at all. Does a customer who doesn’t pay any attention to the terms of service have a right to a refund when they mess up?

If none of your arena toons are g12 yet, surely someday some of them will be?

This is a lifestyle video game, not corporate merger. It's reasonable to expect that any major changes in how things work will be prominently noted IN-GAME, as well as online.

But congratulations. You reminded me why I avoid forums. There's a high percentage of people who go to them to just blindly defend "their team" with no faculty for contextual, rational, or empathetic analysis.

If something doesn't directly affect them, especially if it's harmful to other players, then they're all for it.

This is the problem in our country these days.

Wow.

Thanks for the attack on my faculties, or lack thereof.

And thanks for the mention of “our” country. I don’t know what that means as surely you have no idea if mine is the same as yours?

I sliced my first mod up to 6 dots today. Funnily enough, my first choice of mod is currently equipped on my 6* traya, so I had to pick a different one, from Nihilus. So the change does affect me, but I’m fine with traya having to wait for 6 dot mods. Who knows, by the time she gets to 7* I might have enough 6 dot mods to fill 4 of the slots.

The newsletter feature in-game directs you to these very forums to read the full release notes of every update. There’s even a button on that screen that takes you right here. I don’t think I’m “blindly defending my team” when pointing out the folly of someone who didn’t engage with the details.

6 dot mods are endgame content. Just like mythic tier events, Heroic Sith raid and some of the challenges faced in TB. Not every new development in the game should be instantly relevant to every player. I stand by my viewpoint. If none of your arena toons are g12 yet, 6 dot mods should not be your priority.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    Acrofales wrote: »
    Nope. Luckily the mk5->6 jump is currently still kinda negligible. It's at most 7 speed. Some of the other stats grow more, but as more and more stuff gets gated behind 7*, f2p loses out. And that is a bit of a worrying trend to keep continuing.

Is 7 star exclusive to only those who pay?
  • Options
    Monel wrote: »
    Nope. Luckily the mk5->6 jump is currently still kinda negligible. It's at most 7 speed. Some of the other stats grow more, but as more and more stuff gets gated behind 7*, f2p loses out. And that is a bit of a worrying trend to keep continuing.

Not eventually. But how many bastila jedi arena teams are there with a 3* bastila? And those bastilas work, despite having a star and gear disadvantage. A lot of that is because you can equip your best mods and compensate for that lack. The more gets gated behind 7*, the harder it becomes to be competitive with lower toons, and the more arena requires 7* toons that can use all the gated gear, mods, etc (and thus the less value marquee toons have for f2p players).

Plus, it just plain sucks to not be able to equip your best mods on next level raid toons when you unlock them, and that's for everybody, including P2P players. Right now my Traya cannot equip 6E mods, and it'll be 20ish raids before she can. She will not be able to use my upgraded mods. Right now I can easily prepare for that, but what about marquees and raid toons in a year.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    wow, I had no idea they made it require you to have G12 in order to equip these, I mean You'd think that would be made and should have been made much more obvious, especially in game, like, there should be a massive warning before six dotting "BTW ONLY G12 CAN USE THIS" or something.

Seems like all this does is skrew over anyone not paying attention to a tiny line in the middle of many notes. All that's needed is a warning when six dotting that only g12 can use, at least on the first one, that's all that would have been needed to avoid problems here (even though I think needing g12 to equip is a bad idea, but still, warnings go a long way)
  • scuba
    14069 posts Member
    Options
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    They already told us this pre update....

The question I have is, what happens if you move that loadout to a non g12 toon?

@BubbaFett
    It will only equip/change the mods that it can. The slots that have the 6dots you are trying to equip from the load out will stay as they were. So in the instance below the square and circle (ones that are 6 dot) stayed as what I had equipped on krennic who is only g11.
    XfkJZVy.jpg
  • Options

Not eventually. But how many bastila jedi arena teams are there with a 3* bastila? And those bastilas work, despite having a star and gear disadvantage.

You know there's more content in the game than just arena, right?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Not eventually. But how many bastila jedi arena teams are there with a 3* bastila? And those bastilas work, despite having a star and gear disadvantage.

And I'm focusing specifically on arena (and by extension TW, which relies on many of the same toons that make successful arena teams), because raids and TB are already gated behind 7*, so clearly g12 and mods isn't a problem for that. Arena was so far *not* gated behind 7*, but the more stuff is only equippable after 7*, the wider the chasm between 3* (marquee f2p unlock) and 7* (whale) becomes.
  • JohnAran
    312 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »

And I'm focusing specifically on arena (and by extension TW, which relies on many of the same toons that make successful arena teams), because raids and TB are already gated behind 7*, so clearly g12 and mods isn't a problem for that. Arena was so far *not* gated behind 7*, but the more stuff is only equippable after 7*, the wider the chasm between 3* (marquee f2p unlock) and 7* (whale) becomes.

Yes it is a problem for that ? Now i won’t be able to use my best mods on my raid / tb / any event in this game if my characters are not only 7* but also g12 ? No more using my best mods when an assault battle is up so my not fully 7* g12 1st order or night sister or bounty hunter or whatever team can get through 1 or 2 tiers. How many full 7* g12 teams do you have ? Me as a non whale non day 1 player, i’m sitting at 0. Soon 1. They just made it so you can’t use your best mod sets on teams that are not already maxed out.
    (Small edit : ignoring the fact that a maxed out team wouldn’t need my best mods anyway to get through the event. So as i said below, seriously why ?)

The real point is why ? It just makes zero sense. This has nothing to do with investment or whatever. Stars, gear and mods are 3 completely separate investments that you can make (4th being zetas) on a character. Why would you suddenly put a giant lock on one of those.
    If you don’t want people to move their mods between team make the mods impossible to remove and own it. Otherwise don’t come up with this pointless rule.

Seriously i’m not even angry or anything, and i won’t really be negatively affected by this (not enough to complain anyway), but it really makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. This is the most ridiculous thing i’ve seen cg do in this game since i started playing it. Nope, really can’t get it.
  • Options
    Franimus wrote: »
    As a veteran f2p player, I support their decision, and recalled seeing the notice ahead of time.
    Any toon I would want to put a 6* mod on I either already have at g12 or am actively working towards it. In the meantime I can spend my mod energy on lower splicing materials to get more mods to 5a, or just farm up the 6e materials and hang on to them for later like prefarming zetas. Moreover, moving a 6e mod to a weaker toon undermines the spirit of the game by bypassing incentives to collect and gear up such toons. I'd rather be able to say I have abc and xyz toons both maxed out than to say I have a single set of mods I can just slap on anyone to empower them. I mean, a f2p player is always in it for the long haul, so if you're upset about not being able to instantly win, then you're not really meant for f2p.

Good point.
  • Options
    Again: this does NOT make sense to me, and it prevents people from just upgrading mods, unless it is their intent to invalidate any use for characters under 7* entirely. I think the 7* requirement for G12 is already a bad thing for the game, pushing it further is only going to make matters worse.

In addition, it reduces the useful of loadouts by a lot, and just makes the mod puzzle rather hellish over time.
  • Options
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    Vohbo wrote: »
    Again: this does NOT make sense to me, and it prevents people from just upgrading mods, unless it is their intent to invalidate any use for characters under 7* entirely. I think the 7* requirement for G12 is already a bad thing for the game, pushing it further is only going to make matters worse.

In addition, it reduces the useful of loadouts by a lot, and just makes the mod puzzle rather hellish over time.

You are aware that 7* characters are not end game, right? Why would you expect end game content to be able to used with relatively week characters?

I think this was a very smart move. I'm all for it being locked down by gear XII.

A lot of endgame content can be played with lower star characters... so why limit their mod choices? Unless their intent is that nobody doing end-game content uses sub 7* characters, in which case this is a fairly clear nerf to f2p's ability to compete in arena and TW.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You gotta realise the few very few people "supporting" this neutering of mod effectiveness are probably whales or so old players they want it cause they know it will make it harder for new players, right? These people hate others getting an advantage and know that this will only hurt the less developed people. Gotta understand this player-base, hah.

What if you have no G12 and you make a mod six dot, lol. The fact that you both need seven star and G12 in order to wear six dot mods that used to be a five dot mod that could go on a level 50, 1 star, 0 gear character is nutz. Slight upgrade that actually conveniently makes the mod useless for most of your roster?

Like, we get mod loadouts, but then they make them worse already at release cause mod loadouts do not work with six dot mods. So much for swapping your arena mods around to get past hard game content. We finally get an easier option to do this and they neuter it. Everyone using Bast right now won't be able to upgrade any of her mods. or swap any of their mods to her from other characters if they upgraded them and thought of a better plan for their mods or something.

In the end, it's all going to be about resource management, something the game is all about. It just sucks with mods cause of how random they are. Still, I am against this choice but I doubt they change anything, some reason with this they decided to limit six dot mod use.
  • Options

You are aware that 7* characters are not end game, right? Why would you expect end game content to be able to used with relatively week characters?

I think this was a very smart move. I'm all for it being locked down by gear XII.

A lot of endgame content can be played with lower star characters... so why limit their mod choices? Unless their intent is that nobody doing end-game content uses sub 7* characters, in which case this is a fairly clear nerf to f2p's ability to compete in arena and TW.

To be fair I think it's silly that non 7* characters are all that effective. I personally dont spend $$$ on the marquee events, but i believe there should be a substantial advantage of spending $300 to 7* the character right away.

There are so many counters that now exist, there will always be a FTP counter. As far as the new characters, you can get them pretty quick with 8 hard node battles now....especially if you use a refresh as I do with more I important characters.

You realize that your 7* character that you spent 300$ on is nowhere near g12 right ? So you just spent 300$ on that character but you won’t be able to give it the best mods you have anyway to use where you want to (doesn’t matter where). 300$ is not enough apparently.
    People here are acting like g12 suddenly appears on a char once it’s 7*. Like the most important gate here is the 7*. Are we playing the same game ? Gorem is right, some people have been playing for 3 years and now they think everyone swim in g12, or rather everyone who doesn’t swim in g12 doesn’t matter anyway.
  • Options
    Honestly the jump from 5 dot mod to 6 dot mod is not that extreme. I got my first 6 dot mod... 5 dot gave 22 speed, 6 dot increased to 23 speed. Not exactly game breaking. The mod bonus jumped about 2% in offense. Maybe after I have all mods at 6 stars it will seem a bigger difference but its a smaller jump 5 to 6 than it was 4 to 5.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Aluxtu wrote: »
    Honestly the jump from 5 dot mod to 6 dot mod is not that extreme. I got my first 6 dot mod... 5 dot gave 22 speed, 6 dot increased to 23 speed. Not exactly game breaking. The mod bonus jumped about 2% in offense. Maybe after I have all mods at 6 stars it will seem a bigger difference but its a smaller jump 5 to 6 than it was 4 to 5.

6 dot is not really about speed, there are some really good stat jumps there.

And a set would add up to another 6 speed in a toon, that can really be the tipping point in an event or on a legendary character, or raid toon. All of which can now be locked out from using some of your best mods on if you upgrade them.
  • Options
    There's one sentiment i'd have to agree with, if slicing a mod up to 6 makes it unusable by anyone under g12 - you should get a verification box before committing the upgrade. It's a super easy addition. It existed when you opted to destroy a mod as I recall...a basic 'are you sure?'

I mean, they added a load out system so you could port mods around to diffierent characters with ease - something that would effectively block that would seem to want to have a warning box before going through with it - whether or not they put it in a post or not. Not everyone is on the boards which seems to be the only place you'd see it - in a post.

But, yeah, if an upgrade severely limits usability going forward, you should warn people in game before making it final.

I don't think this was some evil scheme, just something that didn't come to mind beforehand.
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    Aluxtu wrote: »
    Its not about speed secondaries. Its about the primaries or other stats that aren't about speed. It makes a big difference when you are competing against your own guild to get higher raid scores, for your pilots and other stuff. In the future you will have 6-D, 6-C, 6-B, 6-A slice upgrades and they will give major boosts to speed. So in the long run it might matter
    JohnAran wrote: »

To be fair I think it's silly that non 7* characters are all that effective. I personally dont spend $$$ on the marquee events, but i believe there should be a substantial advantage of spending $300 to 7* the character right away.

There are so many counters that now exist, there will always be a FTP counter. As far as the new characters, you can get them pretty quick with 8 hard node battles now....especially if you use a refresh as I do with more I important characters.

You realize that your 7* character that you spent 300$ on is nowhere near g12 right ? So you just spent 300$ on that character but you won’t be able to give it the best mods you have anyway to use where you want to (doesn’t matter where). 300$ is not enough apparently.
    People here are acting like g12 suddenly appears on a char once it’s 7*. Like the most important gate here is the 7*. Are we playing the same game ? Gorem is right, some people have been playing for 3 years and now they think everyone swim in g12, or rather everyone who doesn’t swim in g12 doesn’t matter anyway.
    Yes. I wouldn't mind a 7 star requirements because farming is a lot of effort and it doesn't feel like you get a lot of benefits for pushing to 7 star. Having gear 12 requiring 7 stars is good but having 6 dot requiring g12 is not. The gold gear you need to jump to g12 doesn't fall out of the sky, and pushing everyone to gear 12 isn't easy. I have plenty of toons stuck at g11 because the g12 gear grind is a huge bottleneck (Stun gun + Gold ball + Bacta gel combo) whereas, shards aren't (you can push a toon to 7 stars without other toons suffering or being impeded by the progress)

Currently there are 5 attributes to customize your character (level, abilities, gear, star and mods) to make them distinct to other people with the same character. Hopefully, the other two don't require any star or gear requirements.
  • Options
    Does anyone else recall the devs comment that they did not foresee the massive mod swapping that occurs, Their intention was that a player would farm mods for each character.

With that comment in mind, I wonder if the g12 gate to equip 6e+ mods is deliberate and done so to reduce the mod shuffling that is occurring. You can make every mod you own that is 5e into a 5a,and swap those everywhere anytime, but if you want to have the fanciest mods, 6e+, you need to use them on g12. Only.

Just a thought.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Does anyone else recall the devs comment that they did not foresee the massive mod swapping that occurs, Their intention was that a player would farm mods for each character.

With that comment in mind, I wonder if the g12 gate to equip 6e+ mods is deliberate and done so to reduce the mod shuffling that is occurring. You can make every mod you own that is 5e into a 5a,and swap those everywhere anytime, but if you want to have the fanciest mods, 6e+, you need to use them on g12. Only.

Just a thought.

Does that really justify, removing some of the functionality of a mod when upgrading it?

Hit them with reduced stats when on a non g12 toon, ita a little ridiculous to lock them out.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Just a thought.

Does that really justify, removing some of the functionality of a mod when upgrading it?

Hit them with reduced stats when on a non g12 toon, ita a little ridiculous to lock them out.

Believe me , I am not supporting a g12 lockout, but, reading this brought that to mind . And my suspicion is that may be the ulterior motive behind this currently implemented g12 req for 6e+ mods.

Personally, it seems a little steep and harsh to me, Having g12 and above gated at seven stars , while also seemingly off the wall, I saw a little more palatable, Having your mods similarly gated, seems excessive.

Hence why this brought that comment to mind, it does in their minds justify making you expand your mod depth, and still keeps your value to existing mods, while allowing people to selectively boost their favorited prized mods, . . . But there is a price, if you want to do that. So it’s kinda player beware, you can get the new shiny, but you have to be selective over how you do it due to the g12 gate reqs,
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Just a thought.

Believe me , I am not supporting a g12 lockout, but, reading this brought that to mind . And my suspicion is that may be the ulterior motive behind this currently implemented g12 req for 6e+ mods.

Personally, it seems a little steep and harsh to me, Having g12 and above gated at seven stars , while also seemingly off the wall, I saw a little more palatable, Having your mods similarly gated, seems excessive.

Hence why this brought that comment to mind, it does in their minds justify making you expand your mod depth, and still keeps your value to existing mods, while allowing people to selectively boost their favorited prized mods, . . . But there is a price, if you want to do that. So it’s kinda player beware, you can get the new shiny, but you have to be selective over how you do it due to the g12 gate reqs,

Yeah. Gated 6 dot mods I would understand. If we were farming mods. This is not really gating, as they are taking away what we already have access to for upgrading it. I feel gating is the wrong term for this.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    And the thing is, they allowed us to keep our already good five dot mods, I remember reading them say this, so that we didn't have to re-farm six dots. So their intention earlier was slicing would prevent us suddenly needing new mods for every char. So maybe they really did intend to make sure that all our mods still stayed on their original characters. Mod swapping was just a "bonus" they never intended us to use much. lol.

@above, yeah, you don't really upgrade six dots for speed upgrades, believe me everything but Speed or protection gets such massive boosts its crazy how much more effective a fully six dotted hero is. You still want speed on everything, but the other stats really skyrocket. Just wait for the even more defensive Sion's to come out.

Of course again, doing all this means you neuter all of your newer heroes and make them unusable until they are all seven starred and G12'd. Even just making the mods require just seven star would go a long way if they have to be blocked from their original purpose. Arena swapping to new metas is going to get interesting as you will suddenly need to farm up 10 sets of six super mods.
  • Options
    The point is: if you limit Tier 6 mods to G12 characters, there is absolutely NO reason at all to upgrade more than the bare minimum of mods to this tier. You are better off keeping all your other mods below T6 so they have as much functionality as possible, and then switch around your single set of best, upgraded mods if that is needed.

• Options
    The point is: if you limit Tier 6 mods to G12 characters, there is absolutely NO reason at all to upgrade more than the bare minimum of mods to this tier. You are better off keeping all your other mods below T6 so they have as much functionality as possible, and then switch around your single set of best, upgraded mods if that is needed.

You will eventually upgrade more to equip them to your pilots used in Fleet Arena. Or raid teams, and maybe TW teams. Oh wait, that's practically most of your roster already.
  • Options
    I wish special toons like raid rewards, guild event toons, legendaries were excluded from this limitation.

Imo marquees are easy to get/gear, so it makes 100% sense to not being able to equip 6* mods on them. But on the other hand, the special toons take months to get, and are absolutely game changing when you get em. So yeah.

Make a special case for those toons. Please.

Ps. Everything else about the mod update is insanely better than anything i would've imagined. Props!
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    Huatimus wrote: »

You will eventually upgrade more to equip them to your pilots used in Fleet Arena. Or raid teams, and maybe TW teams. Oh wait, that's practically most of your roster already.

Well actually no. Tw teams do better swapping, or did you not realise this? in order to swap you need to make sure to not six dot. Ships sure but hardly noticeable and really will be "Trash" six dot mods where you don't actually care about their usefulness. So you won't need to use the pilots ones or either care much at all about doing them.

Raid teams are usually your arena team, which low and behold, will have your six dot mods. So essentially, the best way to play is to just six dot your arena and you can really leave everything else so you don't destroy good mods.