Arena will require multiple strong teams soon?

2Next

Replies

• Options
    JohnAran wrote: »
    In my opinion the mistake was to shift the meta towards sith way too early with Palp and Vader reworks. They were op for months with sion and nihilus before traya even appeared. Then Traya finally got there and they need to keep her at the top long enough, which means again months of op sith meta.
    They basically chained two sith meta instead of giving us some diversity in between or simply wait for Traya before reworking palp and vader.

It feels to me like siths have been op in arena forever now, and it’s not even the end yet.

I have to disagree. The ds were over due for a meta since it had been ls meta for a long while before the palp rework. If you put the effort in to build that team, it should last for awhile.

Just because it isn't a meta you like doesn't make that less true. Eventually, it'll shift back to ls and will likely be there for six months or so. That's about how long the ds has been meta now.

My guess is bhs will be needed for rebek chewie, then rebel chewie will be needed for jedi luke. Then meta shift. Likely jedi or rebels but hard to tell.

Then in feb it'll likely shift back with malak or revan.

The point is you can't shift the meta mire than every 6 mo or so. Otherwise, no one is going to spend time or more importantly money on a team that will be obsolete in 2 months.

The thing is I have been playing since late october early november 2017 but my account was made december 2016. All I’ve known in this game was like 2 month of jtr followed by 3 weeks of nightsister followed by 6 months of sith (palp for like 4-5 month and now 1-2 month of traya). It’s just never ending.
    Sith meta was the worst possible choice to wait out as a not whale.

@kyno which is great for all those who invested in palp meta at the beginning. And horrible for those who chose not to.

Then again what i said was just my opinion. The sith meta is way to long for me. Super boring, super stale. And by far the longest i’ve known since i’m playing. If you guys like it, lucky draw for you i guess.
  • Options
    ctyc123 wrote: »
    I liked my phasma, ig86, geno soldier assist team...

I miss the days when characters had simple kits too

Remember when Dooku and Phasma were "OP" characters.
    Ahhh ... simple characters for a simple time.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    In my opinion the mistake was to shift the meta towards sith way too early with Palp and Vader reworks. They were op for months with sion and nihilus before traya even appeared. Then Traya finally got there and they need to keep her at the top long enough, which means again months of op sith meta.
    They basically chained two sith meta instead of giving us some diversity in between or simply wait for Traya before reworking palp and vader.

It feels to me like siths have been op in arena forever now, and it’s not even the end yet.

I have to disagree. The ds were over due for a meta since it had been ls meta for a long while before the palp rework. If you put the effort in to build that team, it should last for awhile.

Just because it isn't a meta you like doesn't make that less true. Eventually, it'll shift back to ls and will likely be there for six months or so. That's about how long the ds has been meta now.

My guess is bhs will be needed for rebek chewie, then rebel chewie will be needed for jedi luke. Then meta shift. Likely jedi or rebels but hard to tell.

The point is you can't shift the meta mire than every 6 mo or so. Otherwise, no one is going to spend time or more importantly money on a team that will be obsolete in 2 months.

The thing is I have been playing since late october early november 2017 but my account was made december 2016. All I’ve known in this game was like 2 month of jtr followed by 3 weeks of nightsister followed by 6 months of sith (palp for like 4-5 month and now 1-2 month of traya). It’s just never ending.

kyno which is great for all those who invested in palp meta at the beginning. And horrible for those who chose not to.

Then again what i said was just my opinion. The sith meta is way to long for me. Super boring, super stale. And by far the longest i’ve known since i’m playing. If you guys like it, lucky draw for you i guess.

Yeah, I can see it being long for people who didnt go down that Sith road. I would still prefer that to just getting settled in and then having to build and re mod for the next one. It's nice to have some transition toons.
  • Options
    Corpus wrote: »
    ctyc123 wrote: »
    I liked my phasma, ig86, geno soldier assist team...

I miss the days when characters had simple kits too

Remember when Dooku and Phasma were "OP" characters.
    Ahhh ... simple characters for a simple time.

“An old weapon, for a more civilized age.”
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

kyno which is great for all those who invested in palp meta at the beginning. And horrible for those who chose not to.

Yeah, I can see it being long for people who didnt go down that Sith road. I would still prefer that to just getting settled in and then having to build and re mod for the next one. It's nice to have some transition toons.

I started late November 2017 and went First Order, which kept me in the top spot for quite awhile, then JTR which kept me in the top spot due to having Nest and GK before most people, and then Traya so I guess it doesn’t feel like long for me. For people who went zPalp, nightmare, Traya though I can kinda see it.
  • Options
    Smapty wrote: »
    There will always be a META.

It is nice to have options in arena, but there are always a strong team that will win most of the time.

I feel like this mentality is going to soon pass...

If your “strong team” is easily beaten by another... yet that team can’t hold its own vs. another team that is also “strong”...
    But then that “strong” team is easily beaten by several others....
    But those teams lose badly to the other previous mentioned teams...

Then which team do you use?

The team that you have the most fun with. This is just a game and supposed to be just for fun.
  • Options
    @Smapty which toons do you run from solo and what zetas?
  • Options
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    the META is always the team that holds better on defense. that is always the team to beat, as that is the one people will leave in for more time. beating that team with an alternative team is always nice and sometimes easier, but that doesn't change the fact that you wont leave a team on defense all night if you dont think it is holding better than your other options.

That’s because the game is poorly balanced (probably by design, but that’s irrelevant). In a balanced game it would be like the OP suggests the team that held best on defense would simply be the team with the counter owned by the smallest % of people. It would be great if there was a team out there that equivalent Traya teams simply couldn’t beat because they simply were a poor matchup, but that weren’t OP because they had their own weaknesses that other teams could exploit.

IMO they would also make more money that way, because you would need multiple arena teams. You couldn’t simply run Sith, because you’d be in trouble if you came up against their counter. Unfortunately it simply doesn’t work that way

I hear what you’re saying, but I also think this is probably the most diverse arena has ever been. It’s darn near impossible to make teams exactly equal. In nearly all games there is a “best” squad, even if it’s only slightly better than the second team. CG also has to give a reason to do HSR. If Traya was mediocre or equal to other characters that were easier to obtain, people wouldn’t be creating a bunch of different teams for the raid. Most people would choose to get the character that was easier to obtain.

I disagree with this being diverse. This is one of the stalest metas we’ve had for a while. I see nothing but Traya or Bastilla up top. And I’m pretty sure most Bastilla teams are only because they don’t have Traya or the other Sith ready. Or because Traya squads are one of the most boring squads we’ve ever seen and they hate playing with them.

Triple cleanse or CLS were worse IMO. (Or the Dooku plague back in the day)

I agree we lost diversity we had.

More options will always be great and they have said they do release toons with game modes in mind, i.e. - toons for raids, toons designed for arena, and toons designed for pve.

With over 160 toons, I dont think we can expect them to be able to balance them all for arena, but it would be nice to actually have multiple teams that can hold on defense to allow us to run a team "we like".

It used to be rather brilliant that one could play any number of combos and still win in Arena.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    the META is always the team that holds better on defense. that is always the team to beat, as that is the one people will leave in for more time. beating that team with an alternative team is always nice and sometimes easier, but that doesn't change the fact that you wont leave a team on defense all night if you dont think it is holding better than your other options.

That’s because the game is poorly balanced (probably by design, but that’s irrelevant). In a balanced game it would be like the OP suggests the team that held best on defense would simply be the team with the counter owned by the smallest % of people. It would be great if there was a team out there that equivalent Traya teams simply couldn’t beat because they simply were a poor matchup, but that weren’t OP because they had their own weaknesses that other teams could exploit.

IMO they would also make more money that way, because you would need multiple arena teams. You couldn’t simply run Sith, because you’d be in trouble if you came up against their counter. Unfortunately it simply doesn’t work that way

I hear what you’re saying, but I also think this is probably the most diverse arena has ever been. It’s darn near impossible to make teams exactly equal. In nearly all games there is a “best” squad, even if it’s only slightly better than the second team. CG also has to give a reason to do HSR. If Traya was mediocre or equal to other characters that were easier to obtain, people wouldn’t be creating a bunch of different teams for the raid. Most people would choose to get the character that was easier to obtain.

I disagree with this being diverse. This is one of the stalest metas we’ve had for a while. I see nothing but Traya or Bastilla up top. And I’m pretty sure most Bastilla teams are only because they don’t have Traya or the other Sith ready. Or because Traya squads are one of the most boring squads we’ve ever seen and they hate playing with them.

Triple cleanse or CLS were worse IMO. (Or the Dooku plague back in the day)

I agree we lost diversity we had.

More options will always be great and they have said they do release toons with game modes in mind, i.e. - toons for raids, toons designed for arena, and toons designed for pve.

With over 160 toons, I dont think we can expect them to be able to balance them all for arena, but it would be nice to actually have multiple teams that can hold on defense to allow us to run a team "we like".

It used to be rather brilliant that one could play any number of combos and still win in Arena.

You still can to an extent. Ns, FO, Jtr, and Ep non traya teams can beat bastilla who is in the top if most arenas. Most of those teams can also beat traya lead if played right. So you can run other teams.

I run ep but don't have traya yet so that's what I'm familiar with. It can beat both traya lead and bastilla lead which are the top two arena teams right now. Though I had to do some remodding to deal with bastilla lead.

But that only goes so far with power creep. Teams that were fairly recently meta do ok still. Like jtr for example and non traya palp teams. But teams that haven't been meta for awhile are typically too weak to be at the top of arena. Like Cls rebels for example isn't all that viable at the moment because of power creep.

I think this is a good balance since you build a team that is becoming meta. By the time you get it maxed, you get a few months of being meta. Then the next thing comes along and your team is still viable for awhile while you build the next meta team. It even allows you to skip some metas.

For example if you were running titians in arena and you didn't get jtr, they were still viable through that meta and into the ep meta. The traya meta pretty much ended their viability but by then most had probably switched either to jtr or ep.
  • Options

@kyno which is great for all those who invested in palp meta at the beginning. And horrible for those who chose not to.

You caught the tail end of the ls reign then. Other than this current sith meta, the only other ds meta I can think of was zaul but that was a long time ago and the game has been dominated by ls metas for quite awhile before this.
  • Options
    It would seem a positive step to me to have a more diverse Arena.

My shard is fairly diverse anyway, but would make it more interesting if it were even more so :smile:
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

@Vinny_Vader_Vedi I’ve used every possible combination... all the teams you could ever think of and more...

My recent revelation has been using raid Han instead of Yolo (even though I love him... if only for his massive damage)

1e9Fr9a.jpg

But Raid Han’s initial attack (if both land crits) puts prepared on Q which allows her to dispel all buffs and add a stagger...
    It’s ideal to make her as fast as possible and make Nest move right behind her so you benefit from all the staggers with his AOE...

Thats how the AI plays then at least so you should probably do the same 😛

They all have all the zetas of course... except L3’s (which would only be useful with other droids)

There’s so many viable combos between Q and STHan lead and mixing in other scoundrels....

As long as you have the core of Vandor & L3 you have a ton of fun options
  • Options

@Vinny_Vader_Vedi I’ve used every possible combination... all the teams you could ever think of and more...

My recent revelation has been using raid Han instead of Yolo (even though I love him... if only for his massive damage)

1e9Fr9a.jpg

But Raid Han’s initial attack (if both land crits) puts prepared on Q which allows her to dispel all buffs and add a stagger...
    It’s ideal to make her as fast as possible and make Nest move right behind her so you benefit from all the staggers with his AOE...

They all have all the zetas of course... except L3’s (which would only be useful with other droids)

There’s so many viable combos between Q and STHan lead and mixing in other scoundrels....

Thank you! Since their release I have loved their kits.

How is ai with spreading Prepared? For me it only does it when a toon is low on prot. But haven’t got to play around as much as I would like.

Speaking of l3s zeta - also have been playing around with 88, IPD, t3 bb8 , and l3.

A lot of zetad there though. Uncommon ones too.
  • Options

1e9Fr9a.jpg

Thank you! Since their release I have loved their kits.

How is ai with spreading Prepared? For me it only does it when a toon is low on prot. But haven’t got to play around as much as I would like.

Speaking of l3s zeta - also have been playing around with 88, IPD, t3 bb8 , and l3.

A lot of zetad there though. Uncommon ones too.

Really the biggest obstacle for making to the team effective is getting Vandor prepared... and keeping a buff on him...

Once he’s set up he will just revive anyone who might happen to fall.. and be instantly prepared and again ready to revive...

Once you can get the cycle going of Vandor always being prepared and the prot regen from his unique going then it’s just click auto and win...

He’s the key... the prot regen and revives from Vandor are the only thing that makes the scoundrels viable... L3 is a beast and STHan with his zeta becomes a freaking monster with Vandor in the group... it’s really fun to try out some crazy teams with just the core of Vandor and reviveable scoundrel tanks.

Again it’s tough vs Traya (although not impossible) with all the buff strips and just general Traya annoyingness...

Still a super fun faction now... looking forward to Jango ;)
  • Options
    If you want to have an amazing climb team and a great defense team, just develop a team that’s great on defense and then use zFinn for offense
  • Options
    The fact that Sith are still META and February is quickly approaching is the best thing since the JTR META lasting a whole 2 months.
  • Options
    No matter what you put into arena, the AI is always the biggest enemy. It cheats, does whatever it wants, gives itself bigger buffs, puts more debuffs on your team, give itself extra TM, etc.

Regardless of that, there should always be a rock paper scissors setup for teams in arena, which it seems CG is continuing to provide for. If someone puts a team up, you should have a team that can take it down, even Traya.

Yes, I know the RNG hates me, which is why I talk crap about it and the AI incessantly. If my team is the rock to the AI's scissors, it shouldn't be able to magically beat my team like I wasn't even playing. (At that, why is the AI that plays my characters in auto so much dumber than the AI that plays the opposing team?)
  • Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    No matter what you put into arena, the AI is always the biggest enemy. It cheats, does whatever it wants, gives itself bigger buffs, puts more debuffs on your team, give itself extra TM, etc.

Regardless of that, there should always be a rock paper scissors setup for teams in arena, which it seems CG is continuing to provide for. If someone puts a team up, you should have a team that can take it down, even Traya.

Yes, I know the RNG hates me, which is why I talk **** about it and the AI incessantly. If my team is the rock to the AI's scissors, it shouldn't be able to magically beat my team like I wasn't even playing. (At that, why is the AI that plays my characters in auto so much dumber than the AI that plays the opposing team?)

it may not just be the ai. More goes into it than team comp and rng. Both of those are important to be sure but there is also gear and mods. Even a rock team can't beat a scissor team a gear level higher and with +30 more speed per character. Maybe with good rng but not consistently.
  • Options
    Honestly with the changes to mods it’s much simpler now to switch teams or characters to adjust to your opponent...

And mods have been around long enough now that many people can support multiple “arena quality modded” teams...

Unfortunately there’s pretty much only two teams I ever see anymore in arena... Traya teams and Bastilla teams (maybe NS once in a while)... other teams are able to beat them of course but fall short on defense and so people don’t use them as often...

It’s pretty much been the trend with arena since the dawn of the game...

It’s kinda boring... fighting the same teams over and over...

...but I will admit that I do take some pleasure in figuring out how to beat the meta with something completely different and not just running the same cliche team as everyone else :)
  • gufu21
    335 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

1e9Fr9a.jpg

@Smapty, this looks awfully fun. You mentioned Nest, but we've got Qira, StHan, L3, VanChew, and Raid Han. Where does Nest fit in?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just checked out your .gg profile for the answer.
  • Options

Yes, I know the RNG hates me, which is why I talk **** about it and the AI incessantly. If my team is the rock to the AI's scissors, it shouldn't be able to magically beat my team like I wasn't even playing. (At that, why is the AI that plays my characters in auto so much dumber than the AI that plays the opposing team?)

it may not just be the ai. More goes into it than team comp and rng. Both of those are important to be sure but there is also gear and mods. Even a rock team can't beat a scissor team a gear level higher and with +30 more speed per character. Maybe with good rng but not consistently.

Perfect example. My EP Lead team just took on a full Rebel team with CLS lead. They had 100% counter attack (every attack they counter attacked, every. single. time.). CLS's lead only provides for 50% counter attack. Hmm, well that's strange. My EP who, with his lead bonus, has over 121% potency against a team that has -35% potency and -35% evasion, did a mass stun and only stunned ONE of 5 rebels. ONE. The CLS I went against had less than 35% tenacity. (Yes, he did have call to action UP) The other four members had 79%, 62%, 63%, and 38% tenacity. Funny thing, the one with 63% tenacity was the one that got stunned. I also couldn't get EP's shock to stick to more than one member of that team. Well that's curious. Yet, at the same time all but one time R2's basic stunned my team members. All. but. one. time. (R2: 76% potency before the -35% potency...) I got the crap kicked out of me by a team that I couldn't debuff, couldn't ability block, couldn't shock, couldn't stun, and that kind of crap happens all the time.

It is even worse when I do mirror matches. The AI's EP can mass stun my team 3 times in one match and mine might get a mass stun of 4-5 of the team maybe 2-3 times a week. (So out of roughly 105 attempts in a week, my mass stun is effective less than 3% of the time.) And yes, I always look at the enemy's potency and tenacity. So why does my mass stun work for crap when the AI's R2 can stun my entire team one at a time? Because the AI has better odds, gives itself better boosts and better crits and so on and so on. Sure, sometimes I get awesome rolls and perfect attacks, but it happens for me a lot less than it happens for the AI.

Not that I'm annoyed by this or anything. ;-)
  • Options
    I think arena has always required multiple strong teams. If you want to stay top 10 consistently, you need a deep roster to adjust to the meta shifts.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    Gear and mods don't mean boot, if you're running Bastila. Guy sitting at #94 on my shard has G12 zBastilla, G12 zGMY, G11 zEzra, G11 GK, G9 Old Ben.

Yet he has multiple level 1 mods on two of his characters, 1-dot mods on two of them, and three of them are fully missing certain mods completely. And next to no speed on anyone. He's holding in Top 100...
  • Options

Perfect example. My EP Lead team just took on a full Rebel team with CLS lead. They had 100% counter attack (every attack they counter attacked, every. single. time.). CLS's lead only provides for 50% counter attack. Hmm, well that's strange. My EP who, with his lead bonus, has over 121% potency against a team that has -35% potency and -35% evasion, did a mass stun and only stunned ONE of 5 rebels. ONE. The CLS I went against had less than 35% tenacity. (Yes, he did have call to action UP) The other four members had 79%, 62%, 63%, and 38% tenacity. Funny thing, the one with 63% tenacity was the one that got stunned. I also couldn't get EP's shock to stick to more than one member of that team. Well that's curious. Yet, at the same time all but one time R2's basic stunned my team members. All. but. one. time. (R2: 76% potency before the -35% potency...) I got the **** kicked out of me by a team that I couldn't debuff, couldn't ability block, couldn't shock, couldn't stun, and that kind of **** happens all the time.

It is even worse when I do mirror matches. The AI's EP can mass stun my team 3 times in one match and mine might get a mass stun of 4-5 of the team maybe 2-3 times a week. (So out of roughly 105 attempts in a week, my mass stun is effective less than 3% of the time.) And yes, I always look at the enemy's potency and tenacity. So why does my mass stun work for **** when the AI's R2 can stun my entire team one at a time? Because the AI has better odds, gives itself better boosts and better crits and so on and so on. Sure, sometimes I get awesome rolls and perfect attacks, but it happens for me a lot less than it happens for the AI.

Not that I'm annoyed by this or anything. ;-)

I doubt it is quite that low. It may seem like it but likely isn't quite that bad. I believe there is always at least a 15% chance to miss so even with high potency, you have that chance. And your potency isn't high enough to get a 100% chance to beat the tennacity. So those combined will be misses. I don't see nearly as big a difference on rng of the ai vs what I get.

My palp stuns about as much as the enemy except against bastilla of course. But if you want stun to land more, you can stack 3 potency sets and a potency cross on him. Still won't be 100% but it should help. Personally, I stacked the potency on my vader so he can overcome bastilla teams tenacity. I did that because you get more chances ( like a potential of like 5 debuffs per character) so less likely to get realluy bad rng and have none land.

Also with the high cleanse rate of jedi and traya teams being self cleansing, stun is less effective than debuffs that feed tm whether they cleanse or not.
  • Options
    This will never happen. If it were to get close the devs would sell us some power creep.
  • Options
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Gear and mods don't mean boot, if you're running Bastila. Guy sitting at #94 on my shard has G12 zBastilla, G12 zGMY, G11 zEzra, G11 GK, G9 Old Ben.

Yet he has multiple level 1 mods on two of his characters, 1-dot mods on two of them, and three of them are fully missing certain mods completely. And next to no speed on anyone. He's holding in Top 100...

Biggest part of defense is not getting attacked. I doubt most players look at the mods before attacking, they just see a bastila lead with two tanks and the right zetas and they avoid
  • Options
    Ugh.