Hayden Christensen

Prev1
hnewton
492 posts Member
Is he really that bad of an actor? Yes, he had some very questionable parts. But how much of that is his fault and how much of it is George Lucas'? I mean the dialogue is extremely corny, how could someone say the "I hate sand" thing or "love can't save you Padmé, only my new powers can do that" without sounding terrible. And his physical acting was actually extremely good, such as his dark facial expressions throughout RotS. So what do you guys think? I'm am no saying he is the most phenomenal actor, but I would definitely say he was far better than Mark Hamill in episode IV, which was the only movie Hamill did with Lucas directing and Hamill gets little hate for that.

Replies

• Options
    Hayden was terrible. Yes the dialogue was atrocious but everyone else in the movie did better with it.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    He does "mad face" well. :shrug:
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    He did well for his role imo. Great actor.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    He got to make out with Natalie Portman...he's solid in my book.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Options
    Apollodo wrote: »
    Hayden was terrible. Yes the dialogue was atrocious but everyone else in the movie did better with it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=40HhaIJ0QVw

I don't get how anyone could say he's anything but terrible, at least in that scene.
  • Snake
    158 posts Member
    Options
    Ewan salvaged a passable performance with the same script. It's possible he's a better actor than what's shown in the movie, but nothing he's done since has been anything to write home about. I don't think there's any way you could say he's good based on what we've seen.
    -Snake
  • Options
    There's no point asking this question. If you think he did a good job, then he did a good job. Don't let other peoples' opinions sway yours. ;)
  • Options
    He's a good actor!
  • Maskarii
    851 posts Member
    Options
    You think he is terrible....than think about Kylo Ren taking his mask off... THAAT WAS TERRIBLE
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Maskarii wrote: »
    You think he is terrible....than think about Kylo Ren taking his mask off... THAAT WAS TERRIBLE

...or when he tried to pretend to be "Matt" that was absolute....oh wait....nevermind.

• Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    He is a good actor. Deserves none of the hate sent his way. People misjudge just how much control actors have over what they do. If you don't like Hayden's performance, blame Lucas.

I thought he did great (considering) and I really hope we get to see him in Rogue One or force ghost in Episode VIII.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    TheVinegru wrote: »
    Painfully bad. The problem was that he was constantly screaming rather than being cold, creepy and menacing. But that's at least as much the director's fault as his.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Painfully bad. The problem was that he was constantly screaming rather than being cold, creepy and menacing. But that's at least as much the director's fault as his.

Forshizzle
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Options

Don't you EVEN start about my baby Adam Driver. Just don't.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Ouchie wrote: »

LOL
  • Options

When he took off the mask I started laughing and all these people were looking at me like ****.
  • Arora50
    80 posts Member
    Options
    Perhaps not the best actor but look what happened to Natalie Portman. Prequels almost destroyed her acting career. It was meant to be space soap opera, I feel like the legacy of the franchise weighted down on the actors too much when they tried to take George's writing and dialogues too seriously.
  • Options

Ahh Adam don't likes me...There was a short conversation at Instagram...until I ask him of he might be Prince Ironheart and switch from a Lighsaber to a good old Sword....but...The Mask of was more worst as than Kane took his mask of...

I was the only one in cinema screaming...#takethatMaskonagain...

Anyone has a youtubelink for that...drama :D
  • vangoh
    127 posts Member
    Options
    He is really awful
  • Options

When he took off the mask I started laughing and all these people were looking at me like ****.

Hahaha o know that feeling... hahaha great
  • Options
    Rumor about him coming back as a force ghost.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Arora50 wrote: »
    Perhaps not the best actor but look what happened to Natalie Portman. Prequels almost destroyed her acting career. It was meant to be space soap opera, I feel like the legacy of the franchise weighted down on the actors too much when they tried to take George's writing and dialogues too seriously.

That's actually a good point. Portman is a good actor but even she looked kinda silly there. The scenes with her and Christian were the ones I thought were the worst. McGregor was probably more experienced than either of them. I don't think the movies hurt him at all. Fortunately, for Portman she got Black Swan. Imagine how she would be perceived if she was only looked at through the lense of Thor and SW.

I just kinda look at the movies as trying to appeal to younger audiences which was a bit awkward
  • hnewton
    492 posts Member
    Options
    Ewan MacGregor did not have the same script. He had Obi-Wan's lines which were far less corny. The only weird dialogue he had was the "I have the high ground" and even that isn't that corny
  • Options
    This isn't the correct section for this post. But, I always love to comment on how bad the prequels are.

HC is not a good actor, but his performance wasn't only his fault. GL is as much to blame for the casting and the performances with the terrible dialogue.

Anakin in the prequels ignored everything good and interesting that was said about him by Obi-Wan.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg
    Team iNstinct -- teaminstinct.net
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    I remember Nostalgia Critic made a pretty good case for cutting Hayden Christensen some slack.

Found it. It's points number six and seven in his video. I think he's making a few fair points actually.

https://youtu.be/buXz4BYS8kw
  • hnewton
    492 posts Member
    Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    I remember Nostalgia Critic made a pretty good case for cutting Hayden Christensen some slack.

Found it. It's points number six and seven in his video. I think he's making a few fair points actually.

https://youtu.be/buXz4BYS8kw
    Yes this is what I was trying to say about how the dialogue is the problem with him when he didn't even write it
  • Options
    hnewton wrote: »
    Is he really that bad of an actor? Yes, he had some very questionable parts. But how much of that is his fault and how much of it is George Lucas'? I mean the dialogue is extremely corny, how could someone say the "I hate sand" thing or "love can't save you Padmé, only my new powers can do that" without sounding terrible. And his physical acting was actually extremely good, such as his dark facial expressions throughout RotS. So what do you guys think? I'm am no saying he is the most phenomenal actor, but I would definitely say he was far better than Mark Hamill in episode IV, which was the only movie Hamill did with Lucas directing and Hamill gets little hate for that.

You wanna do me a favour?

Go back to the general discussion page and hit the gear icon on your post. Then in the drop box where it says 'general discussion' change that to 'off topic'. Then hit save.

It will save a mod some time at least.

Shot bro!
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    He's been terrible in everything I've ever seen him in.
    He has no gravitas that the role would have benefitted from.
    I figured he was the nephew of the casting director or something.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    That was a really great watch.. thank you. Didn't agree with him entirely on Christensen but agreed with a couple of his points.
    One thing I read about Christensen was that Lucas chose him over 1,500 others because he felt he had "the look that could suggest the dark side" or something similar. The guy on that Youtube is right that in many cases Christensen is at his best when his mouth is shut.
    I also made the point above about the direction, so I clearly agree with that. It was awful.

Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options

LOL yes THANK YOU. my gf and i were this exact way. when he took the mask off he looked a mix of scared and derpy. why they went with that take i will never understand