GP Matchmaking & “Fluff”

Replies

• Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Gannon wrote: »
    I don't see an issue in GA matchmaking. Ppl play very differently, can't all be winners in this one limited game mode. Ppl like to complain cuz they farmed every ship in existence and have 1 g12 toon at 4 mil gp. Boo hoo. everyone has known for years now where the end game is.
    My problem is with the TW sandbagging. Why is that not fixed yet? It's been months! I could've walked there and done it myself by now and walked back home across the country!

You cant complain about sandbagging in tw , if you are ok with it in GA, but yeah i guess in GA it benefits you and tw it doesnt. So that would be why

Well in TW it's been an issue for a very long time, and involves people sitting out to fudge the matching system. There's no real sandbagging in GA, as you can't leave out parts of your roster to gain an advantage. The only real complaint there about it, ship gp, has already been addressed as being fixed soon.

The guy I just played had 40-50 toons that were g8 to g12 with no mods. He didn’t need those for the 12 teams that he used. So yea, there is sandbagging involved.

Mods don't account for enough gp to matter, I've seen and done the math. Even if you have every toon in the game, it's not gonna matter much. You're saying that he only needed 12 teams to win, and he had all the teams he needed to counter what you had and still give a decent defense. Sounds like long term strategy to me. That's what I did.
    Farm teams with events, raids, and war in mind, and learn what they counter and how hard they are to beat. I see the same dozen teams every GA, but it's all about how well they know their stuff
  • Gannon wrote: »
    I don't see an issue in GA matchmaking. Ppl play very differently, can't all be winners in this one limited game mode. Ppl like to complain cuz they farmed every ship in existence and have 1 g12 toon at 4 mil gp. Boo hoo. everyone has known for years now where the end game is.
    My problem is with the TW sandbagging. Why is that not fixed yet? It's been months! I could've walked there and done it myself by now and walked back home across the country!

You cant complain about sandbagging in tw , if you are ok with it in GA, but yeah i guess in GA it benefits you and tw it doesnt. So that would be why

Well in TW it's been an issue for a very long time, and involves people sitting out to fudge the matching system. There's no real sandbagging in GA, as you can't leave out parts of your roster to gain an advantage. The only real complaint there about it, ship gp, has already been addressed as being fixed soon.

The guy I just played had 40-50 toons that were g8 to g12 with no mods. He didn’t need those for the 12 teams that he used. So yea, there is sandbagging involved.

Mods don't account for enough gp to matter, I've seen and done the math. Even if you have every toon in the game, it's not gonna matter much. You're saying that he only needed 12 teams to win, and he had all the teams he needed to counter what you had and still give a decent defense. Sounds like long term strategy to me. That's what I did.
    Farm teams with events, raids, and war in mind, and learn what they counter and how hard they are to beat. I see the same dozen teams every GA, but it's all about how well they know their stuff

He had 400k squad power on me. It was a strong strategy: cash in on a deficiency in matchmaking that CG has identified as a problem over a month ago.

But on the subject of sandbagging, you first said there’s no real sandbagging. You should have clarified that you meant there is sandbagging but it doesn’t have a huge impact...that’s two different things.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

He had 400k squad power on me. It was a strong strategy: cash in on a deficiency in matchmaking that CG has identified as a problem over a month ago.

But on the subject of sandbagging, you first said there’s no real sandbagging. You should have clarified that you meant there is sandbagging but it doesn’t have a huge impact...that’s two different things.

Did you look at his ship gp? That's where the difference was most likely. Total gp should've been almost the same at the start, as the ship gp hasn't been eliminated from the system just yet. I'm just saying mods don't work that way, so it's not really sandbagging like in TW, where members actually sit out and it matches based against teams with more members in

Did you look at his ship gp? That's where the difference was most likely. Total gp should've been almost the same at the start, as the ship gp hasn't been eliminated from the system just yet. I'm just saying mods don't work that way, so it's not really sandbagging like in TW, where members actually sit out and it matches based against teams with more members in

A 5* mod is worth roughly 250 GP, so 6 is 1500 GP. If it was 40 toons with no mods then that’s 60k GP. If that toon is a pilot, it becomes about 5000 GP per toon. I’d say that’s not insignificant.

And yes I knew it was a ship GP difference. Our total GP was almost equal.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

A 5* mod is worth roughly 250 GP, so 6 is 1500 GP. If it was 40 toons with no mods then that’s 60k GP. If that toon is a pilot, it becomes about 5000 GP per toon. I’d say that’s not insignificant.

And yes I knew it was a ship GP difference. Our total GP was almost equal.

Yea that's what I mean, that's like one extra g7 team. Or 3 decent toons. Not really worth stressing. It's all accounted for in character gp anyway, so at most you'll have a 3 toon difference.
    Also, worth considering that they either have that few mods in total or spend millions to remove them all to almost no benefit, while being next to useless in every other area of the game during that time

How is a person sitting out different, than ppl not using excess gear on their toons to keep gp lower. It seems a lot like leaving ppl out of tw to get an easier matchup?
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

How is a person sitting out different, than ppl not using excess gear on their toons to keep gp lower. It seems a lot like leaving ppl out of tw to get an easier matchup?

The TW one is worse, but they never explain the matching system. In my experience, the TW one exploits the system, as it tends to match equal active gp but assumes equal members entered. So if I drop ten, and end up with 140, I'll match with a 140 with more active ppl in, always. It's an active exploit, and takes coordination to cheat the system.
    In GA, leaner rosters are more effective, and a lot of ppl started using that to their advantage when TW started, if not before. There are so many toons that are garbage, there's no reason or justification to gear them anyway, so there's no way to know for sure who's doing it intentionally.
    Personally, if a team isn't good in a raid, needed for an event, or a good counter to something I see allot then why would I waste resources on it?
    That's all resource management skills. Some ppl are better at that than others, some ppl gamble on what may have uses later, but it's all personal choice.
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member

The TW one is worse, but they never explain the matching system. In my experience, the TW one exploits the system, as it tends to match equal active gp but assumes equal members entered. So if I drop ten, and end up with 140, I'll match with a 140 with more active ppl in, always. It's an active exploit, and takes coordination to cheat the system.
    In GA, leaner rosters are more effective, and a lot of ppl started using that to their advantage when TW started, if not before. There are so many toons that are garbage, there's no reason or justification to gear them anyway, so there's no way to know for sure who's doing it intentionally.
    Personally, if a team isn't good in a raid, needed for an event, or a good counter to something I see allot then why would I waste resources on it?
    That's all resource management skills. Some ppl are better at that than others, some ppl gamble on what may have uses later, but it's all personal choice.

I just think even matchups are more fun. I want to test my skill at playing the game.

Regular arena is not a test of skill, it's just a test of determination and networking.

Tw is better but it's more a test of restraint and patience.

I just want a ga ladder system. Win and see how high you can climb. If you do well you'll start fighting opponents with better rosters, but it will feel like something you earned instead of something you got with bad rng
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Snake2 wrote: »

I just think even matchups are more fun. I want to test my skill at playing the game.

Regular arena is not a test of skill, it's just a test of determination and networking.

Tw is better but it's more a test of restraint and patience.

I just want a ga ladder system. Win and see how high you can climb. If you do well you'll start fighting opponents with better rosters, but it will feel like something you earned instead of something you got with bad rng

That system would be fine as long as players on top of the ladder all win better rewards than players on the step below them - just like it is in arenas.

In arenas you only battle players ranking near your own rank, but there's one significant difference:
    The player ranking 1st wins more rewards than the player ranking 2nd, and the player ranking 9th and the one ranking 801st. In GA each and every group of 8 players battle for the exact same rewards, which makes the current system fair. Players with stronger rosters have a higher chance of winning those 3 zetas (or whatever) than player with weaker rosters. Players winning in GA currently earned it.
  • Might be a bit off topic, but in my last GA, I was playing a guy in the finals who had Revan, Traya and g12+ stuff on almost all his main teams. I have none of that and I managed to beat him. We cleared each other's boards but I was 40 points above him in the end because I was more efficient with my attacks. What I'm trying to say is that if you know the counters and play it smart, you can overcome stronger rosters or meta toons. It seems that some people like to instantly give up if they see their enemy has 10 more g12 than they have, or one more meta team/toon, or a few more zetas, and then just go to the forums to vent and complain. Just don't give up! In the end it's a test of skill and you often can win even if it doesn't seem that way before the battle starts and you feel undermatched.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Starl0rd wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    so players who focused on different game modes being at a disadvantage to player who focused on being competitive in TW style of game play. I'm not sure how that is anything other than the way its supposed to be plain and simple.

no this is different than TW matchmaking. that is an issue of itself but mostly based around matching vs multiple players.

matching based on GP and other factors can work fine. and if they dont have teams or counter teams built for this style of game mode, thats their fault.

Your wrong. Someone who doesn't focus on arena and is rank +1000, doesn't battle with those at rank <99 with arena meta teams. You cannot argue against that. Why is GA any different? Its not too difficult to award more GP for certain characters in the GA matchmaking, or other factors in matchmaking for that matter. Obviously some of you want rewards not truly earned.

This made me lol... people complaining about unfair matchmaking are claiming those with rosters tuned to competative pvp are wanting unearned rewards. Yet the players with unfocused rosters without the top end characters somehow think THEY have earned those rewards?
  • Might be a bit off topic, but in my last GA, I was playing a guy in the finals who had Revan, Traya and g12+ stuff on almost all his main teams. I have none of that and I managed to beat him. We cleared each other's boards but I was 40 points above him in the end because I was more efficient with my attacks. What I'm trying to say is that if you know the counters and play it smart, you can overcome stronger rosters or meta toons. It seems that some people like to instantly give up if they see their enemy has 10 more g12 than they have, or one more meta team/toon, or a few more zetas, and then just go to the forums to vent and complain. Just don't give up! In the end it's a test of skill and you often can win even if it doesn't seem that way before the battle starts and you feel undermatched.

I don’t believe the majority of people complaining about matchmaking believe that it’s impossible to win if you’re at a disadvantage. But in a truly fair matching system, should there be a disadvantage for 1 player before the start of a match?

It’s like playing golf and one person starts 100 feet closer to the hole. The person farther back can still win, but it’s not truly a fair match.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Might be a bit off topic, but in my last GA, I was playing a guy in the finals who had Revan, Traya and g12+ stuff on almost all his main teams. I have none of that and I managed to beat him. We cleared each other's boards but I was 40 points above him in the end because I was more efficient with my attacks. What I'm trying to say is that if you know the counters and play it smart, you can overcome stronger rosters or meta toons. It seems that some people like to instantly give up if they see their enemy has 10 more g12 than they have, or one more meta team/toon, or a few more zetas, and then just go to the forums to vent and complain. Just don't give up! In the end it's a test of skill and you often can win even if it doesn't seem that way before the battle starts and you feel undermatched.

I don’t believe the majority of people complaining about matchmaking believe that it’s impossible to win if you’re at a disadvantage. But in a truly fair matching system, should there be a disadvantage for 1 player before the start of a match?

The current system is fair. It's doesn't create even match-ups, but as long as we all battle for the same prizes, the current system is fair. Even an fair match-ups are two different things.
    It’s like playing golf and one person starts 100 feet closer to the hole. The person farther back can still win, but it’s not truly a fair match.

Not at all. All golfers in each group of 8 start out at the tee, and they all have the same amount of tools available. However, while some players chose to bring a selection of golf clubs, irons, putters and drivers other players chose to bring a mix of golf clubs, baseball bats and tennis rackets.

• Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Waqui wrote: »
    Might be a bit off topic, but in my last GA, I was playing a guy in the finals who had Revan, Traya and g12+ stuff on almost all his main teams. I have none of that and I managed to beat him. We cleared each other's boards but I was 40 points above him in the end because I was more efficient with my attacks. What I'm trying to say is that if you know the counters and play it smart, you can overcome stronger rosters or meta toons. It seems that some people like to instantly give up if they see their enemy has 10 more g12 than they have, or one more meta team/toon, or a few more zetas, and then just go to the forums to vent and complain. Just don't give up! In the end it's a test of skill and you often can win even if it doesn't seem that way before the battle starts and you feel undermatched.

The current system is fair. It's doesn't create even match-ups, but as long as we all battle for the same prizes, the current system is fair. Even an fair match-ups are two different things.

Not at all. All golfers in each group of 8 start out at the tee, and they all have the same amount of tools available. However, while some players chose to bring a selection of golf clubs, irons, putters and drivers other players chose to bring a mix of golf clubs, baseball bats and tennis rackets.

Well, you took my comment out of context to prove your point...well done.

You win, I’m out of this discussion.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

Well, you took my comment out of context to prove your point...well done.

You win, I’m out of this discussion.

Feel free to explain your analogy, then. I assumed, you were trying to describe the current match-making with your analogy - which it doesn't. If you had a different point, then feel free to explain.

• Daishi wrote: »
    This made me lol... people complaining about unfair matchmaking are claiming those with rosters tuned to competative pvp are wanting unearned rewards. Yet the players with unfocused rosters without the top end characters somehow think THEY have earned those rewards?

Why should you have a benefit for not raising your toons? That has nothing to do with tuning or skill. You just didn't do it. Keeping your toons unactivated or low just means you are taking advantage of a faulty design, and that you don't get to play certain teams and combos, ever. That does not make you a better player.

I am not blaming you for doing so - I just want that flawed design to end, so that you can finally raise your toons, as intended, and focus on aspects of the game that actually require skill.

Yes, I raise all my toons. I don't have a single one below purple or level 79, with 130 toons at level 85 A&As 7 or above and fully modded. If they have or have had peripheral use, they have been raised, and the rest I am slowly building up. I am not going to degrade my roster just because the game is flawed.

That doesn't mean that I don't focus on my top teams as well, with Zetas, Omegas and GL12 gear. My focus is there, but since I do more than you, I am punished for no good reason. Your not raising your toons is not a good reason for me.

At least they have finally removed ship GP from GA. That means 1.7M GP less for me, so perhaps some match ups will be a little more fair now.

PS. You is generic you throughout, not directed at you specifically.

So, again, how is it not the same. Take ypur weakest members who are useless in tw out to get a better matchup, like not gearing up useless toons, so you get a gp matchup of the same # but with half the toons, sounds exactly like what you describe for TW?
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

So, again, how is it not the same. Take ypur weakest members who are useless in tw out to get a better matchup, like not gearing up useless toons, so you get a gp matchup of the same # but with half the toons, sounds exactly like what you describe for TW?

The difference is that for TW, as long as you drop someone (doesn't even need to be the lowest), you will be matched with a guild with lower total everything. Not sure why it works this way, but it does every time we do it. 130m active gp usually faces 100m active gp this way. It's bugged as hell.

It's not at all like GA players not ranking up cup and plo koon, and focusing on more useful toons. that's resource management.

The difference is that for TW, as long as you drop someone (doesn't even need to be the lowest), you will be matched with a guild with lower total everything. Not sure why it works this way, but it does every time we do it. 130m active gp usually faces 100m active gp this way. It's bugged as hell.

It's not at all like GA players not ranking up cup and plo koon, and focusing on more useful toons. that's resource management.

Sorta like not using certain users in tw, who arent useful., like plo and cup in GA. Matchmaking needs to be fixed in both events. Arguing for just one, is silly and selfish. If you should have "fair" matchmaking on TW , you should have "fair" matchmaking in GA. Period
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

Sorta like not using certain users in tw, who arent useful., like plo and cup in GA. Matchmaking needs to be fixed in both events. Arguing for just one, is silly and selfish. If you should have "fair" matchmaking on TW , you should have "fair" matchmaking in GA. Period

I get what you mean, but of the two, tw has a buggy exploit. Matchmaking (Whether you see it as good or bad) is mostly the same in both events. That was my point.
    But don't take my word for it, find me in discord and dig thru our dsr bot channel. You'll see just how bugged it is when you exploit the matchmaking in TW.
  • Seems like a lot of you are missing the point here with focused rosters. I have a focused roster in that I put my resources into ga/tw meta toons.l instead of for tb. But I don't have any unused resources like the paper zombie arguement at the start of this thread. My credits have went to buying mods and not leveling up toons. I do have a lot of lower gear toons without mods on them.
    I do not understand this complaining. Tw has been out over a year and we have all known what toons were great in that mode. If you chose to put resources into lobot and his ilk rather than a tw toon, that is entirely on you. I spent all of last year building counters and defenses. If you spent last year building gp for tb, LOL. Tough titty. I will take that 3rd zeta. Those in my guilds spent time building up gp for tw and did not suffer stars in TB, only put them off a few months if any. Sure gp is built slower as each toon takes much more resources to get g12 and g12+ gear on rather then many toons to g8.
    In any case, stop fluffing/complaining now and build up your bh/scoundrels/old republic teams. Within 6 months you can turn your bloated roster around. Quit kitten complaining about focused rosters I'm kitten tired of it. Join a kitten tw/ga focused guild and leave your fluffy friends behind
    Or stay and all change together. Pete's sake.........
  • The fact that I skimmed 4 pages of this and only saw 1-2 comments about mods has me questioning the validity of anything you all are saying.

Matchmaking based purely off of GP is bad, I won’t argue that. You want more fair fights than other things (primarily mods) need to be weighed heavier than they are.

Also @Jordylee24 is right. Not saying the mode is going to be fun if your a collector- but if you are a collector you’ve been playing this game for pve. Don’t complain when the PvP modes aren’t easy for you.
  • Jordylee24 wrote: »
    .... I do not understand this complaining. .....

Can you give me one good reason for punishing me twice for building up Lobot (or whomever)? It's not enough that you spent resources on building some better toon than I did, but I also need to get another penalty for just having him?

If we are going to have matching, at least it should attempt to be fair. Otherwise get rid of it and let me slaughter the younglings.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Skylicus wrote: »
    The fact that I skimmed 4 pages of this and only saw 1-2 comments about mods has me questioning the validity of anything you all are saying.

Check the topic of this discussion:
    "GP matchmaking & fluff". That's why most comments mention GP and fluff.
    Matchmaking based purely off of GP is bad, I won’t argue that. You want more fair fights than other things (primarily mods) need to be weighed heavier than they are.

As Daishi mentioned in his own discussion:
    If match-making always matched you with players with similar GP, similar characters, similar zetas, similar mods etc. we would always have mirror matches - which is also boring.
    Also @Jordylee24 is right. Not saying the mode is going to be fun if your a collector- but if you are a collector you’ve been playing this game for pve. Don’t complain when the PvP modes aren’t easy for you.

Agreed.

• Jordylee24 wrote: »

Can you give me one good reason for punishing me twice for building up Lobot (or whomever)? It's not enough that you spent resources on building some better toon than I did, but I also need to get another penalty for just having him?

If we are going to have matching, at least it should attempt to be fair. Otherwise get rid of it and let me slaughter the younglings.

I mean you could have not built lobot? I have nearly all the toons activated and 7*. Most are even at least partially leveled with abilities lvl 7 from tb fluffing days. I'm also undefeated in GA because I'm heavily focused on PvP teams and have better than average mods.

Again- I'm not saying matchmaking is great as is - but complaining about the resources you chose to put into useless toons isn't how it gets fixed.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Jordylee24 wrote: »

It does attempt to be fair 😆
    If you want to win all the GA/TW then farm all the counter teams and you'll be fine. I think most players have bloated stuff somewhere, it won't hurt you as bad as you think
  • Skylicus
    29 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    If match-making always matched you with players with similar GP, similar characters, similar zetas, similar mods etc. we would always have mirror matches - which is also boring.

@Waqui fair point- especially at the top that would be a problem. I have to feel like there is a better medium somewhere though. As someone who enjoys competition I have thus far been extremely disappointed in GA simply because of the caliber of my opponents.

EDIT: kitten Formatting this stuff on mobile.
  • How about this perspective... if you benefit by not activating a toon, its probably a flawed system.

I get what you mean, but of the two, tw has a buggy exploit. Matchmaking (Whether you see it as good or bad) is mostly the same in both events. That was my point.
    But don't take my word for it, find me in discord and dig thru our dsr bot channel. You'll see just how bugged it is when you exploit the matchmaking in TW.

But if you match 2 guilds evenly that will be basically a mirror match , so they should be allowed to manipulate the system. Right isn't that the argument of lean vs lean rosters? Again how is this different. Some guilds get easier matches , some impossible , just like GA. So. just get better as a guild, its what GA ppl are being told. So doesnt that apply here too.
  • Waqui wrote: »

I think what we're asking for is a better GP formula that results in pairing of players with a similar NUMBER of zetas, characters per gear tier, and mods on those characters.

Currently the GP calculation over-values the utility of lower gear levels and undervalues the utility of zetas and higher gear levels (in addition to the effort made to attain those zetas and gear). This leads to farcical pairings between one person who has 150 G8/G9 characters and another player that has 90 G12 characters and 60 G1 characters. In a game mode where you only need ~70-80 characters, this obviously isn't very competitive or fun for anyone.

Obviously, players that made good choices on what characters to gear and zeta should be rewarded for astuteness. If I take my Lobot to G12, put a zeta on Clone Wars Chewbacca, and load my characters with bad mods, I don't deserve to win in TW or GA.

However, I don't see value in punishing players who want to, y'know, *play* in other areas of the game with non-viable G8 characters. There's no scarcity in low-end gear, credits, or purple mats for long-time players, so why shouldn't we be able to use them without crippling ourselves in other game modes? The game is supposed to be fun, and should encourage people to experiment with squad composition, strategies, etc. - it's not very good game design if you're encouraging your user base to willfully neglect 25-50% of the game content to game the matchmaking algorithm.