All a "guild qualification requirement" will do is hurt smaller guilds

Prev13456714
Stenun
852 posts Member
So a guild needs 80 million GP to participate in the Geonosis Territory Battle.

This is claimed to be to give the smaller guilds something to aim for. But it won't work like that.
You honestly think that if a guild is on 70 million, all the members will happily sit there and think to themselves "oh, we have something to strive for"? And not "oh, I need to find another guild"?
They then leave making it even harder for the remaining players to qualify. Suddenly the guild drops to 65 million and more players start wondering about whether they'd be better in another guild.

All that happens is that smaller guilds are punished.

But there's no need for that.

It's claimed that the participation requirement is to give smaller guilds something to aim for but excluding players doesn't achieve that. Before my current guild could defeat the Heroic Tank, we had something to aim for but we could still TRY. We could start the Heroic Tank every so often, see how well we would, and then go back to the normal Tank for a few more weeks. And now we have reached the point where we kill the Tank in less than 2 hours.
But all those failed attempts weren't wasted. They didn't put us off. Nobody thought "I can't access this game content because I've thrown my lot in with this guild so I better now leave". We tried, we failed, we picked ourselves up, we tried again.

Why not allow us to try the Geonosis Territory War and fail? What's wrong with that?
That would be far more encouraging as it would at least show guilds what they are missing, where they are failing and show people what is needed. But by not allowing that, it remains a closed door. It's like saying to people that you can't even watch the Olympics if you didn't qualify.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    This same concept comes up every time there is new content.

New content tends to stir things up, but in the end stable/healthy guilds usually make it through.
  • Stenun
    852 posts Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. I normally try to avoid saying that to mods but in this case I'll make an exception!

Look at the single player events, for example. Some of the top level Tiers do indeed have participation restrictions but the lower Tiers don't and people can still play those. That's not the case this time. Smaller guilds are not being allowed to participate at all.

And I also take issue with your definition of "stable/healthy guild".
    In order to qualify for this new Geonosis content, you need a guild of 50 members to have an average of 1.6 million GP each.
    My guild currently has 45 active members. This pushes or required average up to just under 1.8 million.
    So an active guild with 45 active members needs a higher average to qualify than a stagnant guild with inactive members who help bump the average up.
    Heck, I kicked out a few inactive members just the other week. I wish I hadn't done so now; I should have checked their GP and kept the dead weight in the guild!

• Options
    I actually hope it does shake up guilds. We are an 186 GP guild and are struggling to find new recruits these days. Doesn’t seem to be much reason for players to move these days.
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    Options
    Stenun wrote: »
    Why not allow us to try the Geonosis Territory War and fail? What's wrong with that?
    That would be far more encouraging as it would at least show guilds what they are missing, where they are failing and show people what is needed. But by not allowing that, it remains a closed door. It's like saying to people that you can't even watch the Olympics if you didn't qualify.

Because you'd probably be the first person complaining afterwards that the TB is unfair and too hard and your entire guild got no rewards for 4 days of time spent and couldn't get any stars in the TB but wasn't able to switch to the Hoth TB so they were at least able to get some rewards. It's no different than having heroic stages on raids. If your guild is THAT small, you're not serious end game players anyway....keep cutting your teeth on the Hoth TB until you're ready.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. I normally try to avoid saying that to mods but in this case I'll make an exception!

Look at the single player events, for example. Some of the top level Tiers do indeed have participation restrictions but the lower Tiers don't and people can still play those. That's not the case this time. Smaller guilds are not being allowed to participate at all.

And I also take issue with your definition of "stable/healthy guild".
    In order to qualify for this new Geonosis content, you need a guild of 50 members to have an average of 1.6 million GP each.
    My guild currently has 45 active members. This pushes or required average up to just under 1.8 million.
    So an active guild with 45 active members needs a higher average to qualify than a stagnant guild with inactive members who help bump the average up.
    Heck, I kicked out a few inactive members just the other week. I wish I hadn't done so now; I should have checked their GP and kept the dead weight in the guild!

The lower level is the Hoth TB, as they stated.

A guild with dead weight may not be able to do it from the sounds of it. Trying and failing may net you less than succeeding at the Hoth TB.

I was also talking about the end result, not the initial turmoil.
  • Stenun
    852 posts Member
    Options

Because you'd probably be the first person complaining afterwards that the TB is unfair and too hard and your entire guild got no rewards for 4 days of time spent and couldn't get any stars in the TB but wasn't able to switch to the Hoth TB so they were at least able to get some rewards. It's no different than having heroic stages on raids. If your guild is THAT small, you're not serious end game players anyway....keep cutting your teeth on the Hoth TB until you're ready.

I don't mean to be rude but I don't think you read my original post properly.

I specifically pointed out that when our guild wasn't yet able to complete the Heroic Tank, we kept trying until we were. We weren't the "first person complaining afterwards that [it] was unfair and too hard". We picked ourselves up and tried again. Why not allow us the same opportunity with Geonosis?

Please don't try to dismiss me or my guild as "not serious" again. Thank you.
  • Ryanodo
    82 posts Member
    Options
    They’re probably protecting you from yourselves. The content will be hard and if your guild can’t hang, then you would have missed out on playing content in your range. I’m no psychic but I would presume that the forums would then be rife with posts about guilds feeling cheated because they couldn’t get the right amount of stars and missing out on rewards from the Hoth map. Plus, it probably will require 200m+ to make a decent showing towards the 33 stars. They could make it a requirement that you 48* Hoth, but they didn’t. This is the way raids work in the sense you have to complete tiers to get to Heroic.
  • Lanbo
    128 posts Member
    Options
    This is total ****. I've spent thousands of dollars on this stupid game and now they are forcing me to leave my guild if I want to play new content. They can kiss my money goodbye. I don't want to leave my guild and I shouldn't have to. We should have the option to play the new content too. If we only get a star and crap rewards then so what. I'd we choose to get the available rewards at a slower pace because we want to stay with the guild we love then we should have that option and not be punished for it. Give us warnings. Tell us we shouldn't do it. But don't restrict us from if it we want to try. And if this TB works like the others, you mainly need players with enough teams to complete the battles for the bonus points which means focused GP on a few teams rather than a massive number of GP across the board. And if we can't participate are all, how the hell are we supposed to work towards it to see how close we are to being able to get something done. If we can't even attempt it till 80 million GP we can't even tell what we are working towards.

And I also think it's stupid you have to choose a TB. But that's a whole different issue.
  • Stenun
    852 posts Member
    Options
    Ryanodo wrote: »
    They’re probably protecting you from yourselves. The content will be hard and if your guild can’t hang, then you would have missed out on playing content in your range. I’m no psychic but I would presume that the forums would then be rife with posts about guilds feeling cheated because they couldn’t get the right amount of stars and missing out on rewards from the Hoth map. Plus, it probably will require 200m+ to make a decent showing towards the 33 stars. They could make it a requirement that you 48* Hoth, but they didn’t. This is the way raids work in the sense you have to complete tiers to get to Heroic.

Surely it should be up to us if we wanted to try content out of our range?
    As I said in my original post, we kept trying Heroic Tank every so often until we were good enough. Why can't we do the same here?

Allow us to try and fail. We don't have to ace it to be happy, we just want to be allowed to play. If you were a chess player, would you not want to play Kasparov despite knowing he'd annihilate you? If you were on a soccer team, would you pass up the opportunity to play Manchester United just because you'd lose 40-0?
    Tough is good. Allow us to face it!
  • Ryanodo
    82 posts Member
    Options
    If you’ve spent thousands of dollars and your guild is under 80m GP, you’re doing it wrong.
  • Stenun
    852 posts Member
    Options
    If you’ve spent thousands of dollars and your guild is under 80m GP, you’re doing it wrong.

You don't get to make that call for other people.
    It should be up to them how they play, not for you to arbitrarily decide who is "doing it wrong".
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    Looks like all those sandbaggers are going to have to put those mods,gears and stars on after all lol.
  • Ryanodo
    82 posts Member
    Options
    You don’t get to make the call that I want to play chess with anyone.
  • Lanbo
    128 posts Member
    Options

The money I have spent on MY characters has no impact on the GP of my guildmates. I enjoy the others I play with. I shouldn't be prevented from new content because many of them are not as far along as I am. If everyone had the same GP as me, we'd have more than enough to meet the minimum but that's not the case. We should at least be able to try.

Let me put it this way: if there is exclusive gear that requires the geonosis currency to purchase (and actually exclusive, meaning no other way to obtain it) then I have a HUGE problem with this. If there is no exclusive gear, I'll still be **** I can't enjoy the new content that I've essentially paid for, but not as ****. If there is exclusive gear then we should be allowed to attempt it to try for a star or two to slowly build up currency for said gear.
  • Stenun
    852 posts Member
    Options
    Lanbo wrote: »

The money I have spent on MY characters has no impact on the GP of my guildmates.

Exactly, well said.

• Cweneldic
    102 posts Member
    Options

The money I have spent on MY characters has no impact on the GP of my guildmates. I enjoy the others I play with..

well said indeed! I can't imagine being in any guild without my current guildmates.
  • Lanbo
    128 posts Member
    Options
    Cweneldic wrote: »

The money I have spent on MY characters has no impact on the GP of my guildmates. I enjoy the others I play with..

well said indeed! I can't imagine being in any guild without my current guildmates.

Exactly. That's why I play this game. Have fun while chatting. There other games that I enjoy more and are free and/or one time purchases. If I'm going to be forced to leave my guild to advance I may as well just play those games instead.
  • Options
    I have been in a nice guild for three years now. We pick up small players, help them grow a lot and have fun. That said, we are loosing some on the way, and we are currently at 70 mil GP with 48/50 players. 80 Mil is nothing to “strive for“ for us, it’s just so far away it kills motivation.

We have a couple of strong players who stayed all the time even though we can’t finish Heroic Sith Raid, and we accept that. So we work without Traya. But announcing a new and exciting TB for months now, just to come up with the „Oh, by the way, you can’t play it“ shortly before it begins feels really bad.

Never been one to bash CG as I understand there need to make money, but that just might kill our guild as well as many others..
  • mali3538
    105 posts Member
    Options
    it will just kill guilds below 80mil GP, every player that want to be competetive with G13 will move to guild that participate in new content....

And that is it. you even have 4 mil GP players in guilds below 80mil....now you wont have any above 1 mil....
    People must stay competitive if you want their money...but wit this decision new players are screwd...
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    If a 70M guild attempts the Geo TB instead of Hoth, it is likely that they will lose a lot of rewards simply by not being strong enough, so the restriction makes sense. Of course, if we weren't forced to choose, there would be no need for a restriction...
  • Hortus
    642 posts Member
    Options
    I completely agree with OP - the new TB requirements looks like a nail in the coffin for many smaller guilds. When Sith Raid came out it's already was bad enough. But we at least could do a lower tier. But the new TW basically says "No, you can't just play the game with your friends. If you want a new content instead of endless grind of old one you need to abandon them and jump in stronger guilds, it's mandatory".

Throwing out smaller casual guilds from the new PvE content is a very-very bad thing. Sometimes devs understand this eventually (WoW begun with 40-man raids and moved to 10-man), sometimes not. I really hope that SWGOH devs is the first type.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Hortus wrote: »
    I completely agree with OP - the new TB requirements looks like a nail in the coffin for many smaller guilds. When Sith Raid came out it's already was bad enough. But we at least could do a lower tier. But the new TW basically says "No, you can't just play the game with your friends. If you want a new content instead of endless grind of old one you need to abandon them and jump in stronger guilds, it's mandatory".

Throwing out smaller casual guilds from the new PvE content is a very-very bad thing. Sometimes devs understand this eventually (WoW begun with 40-man raids and moved to 10-man), sometimes not. I really hope that SWGOH devs is the first type.

It's not like 80M is some steep requirement, our casual (but old) guild has almost double that.
  • Hortus
    642 posts Member
    Options
    Nauros wrote: »

It's not like 80M is some steep requirement, our casual (but old) guild has almost double that.

Your are missing the point. Of course those guilds who already met requirements won't be hurt. But those who don't - will be, and badly. For example, my current guild will need to recruit almost 20 people with average GP higher than our current average. It's just impossible because there is no point for such people to join us - we are complete strangers to them AND we can't do actual PvE content. Even the fact that we are extremely successful for our size (won all our TW, started to clear heroic raids faster than other guilds of our size and age, etc) will change nothing - now we just cut off from the future game.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options

Your are missing the point. Of course those guilds who already met requirements won't be hurt. But those who don't - will be, and badly. For example, my current guild will need to recruit almost 20 people with average GP higher than our current average. It's just impossible because there is no point for such people to join us - we are complete strangers to them AND we can't do actual PvE content. Even the fact that we are extremely successful for our size (won all our TW, started to clear heroic raids faster than other guilds of our size and age, etc) will change nothing - now we just cut off from the future game.

Then expand and get to know some strangers, the content here is tuned for 50 member guilds. You might not reach the Geo TB right away but you should get there pretty soon and you might make new friends in the process. There's no point in limiting your guild to 20 members.
  • Stenun
    852 posts Member
    Options
    evoluza wrote: »

YOU miss the point of this requirements completey!
    As I say above, no 80mil GP, means probably no star and no rewards.
    You want that for lower guild's?
    Not capping and low guild's miss on any rewards, because they can't achieve One star... Please stop that nonsense

So my guild with slightly under 80 million but with 3 players over 3 million and a dozen more over 1 million won't get any stars or rewards? OK. But where's the harm in letting us try?

If you've read my OP you'd have seen me comparing this to the Heroic Tank. We couldn't complete it at first but we could at least try. We'd fail, get back up and try again. Why aren't we allowed to do that with Geonosis? There's no good reason to not at least let players TRY.

And as for your comment of "please stop that nonsense" ...
    It's not nonsense to want to try, so there's no nonsense to stop.
  • Options
    You're using HAAT as and example rather than HSTR, does that mean that your guild haven't beat HSTR yet? Because if you haven't then it almost certainly means you wouldn't be able to do much in the new territory battle. Supposedly it's hard even at g12+5. The requirements do make sense.
  • Stenun
    852 posts Member
    Options

Then expand and get to know some strangers, the content here is tuned for 50 member guilds. You might not reach the Geo TB right away but you should get there pretty soon and you might make new friends in the process. There's no point in limiting your guild to 20 members.

And what about my guild? You want to patronise me and it, too?
    45 active members. 5 empty slots because we removed 5 players who had been inactive for 3 weeks and haven't had those slots taken yet despite an open membership and the once-per-month post on the recruitment forum. How would you like to tell me my guild is going wrong?
  • Stenun
    852 posts Member
    Options
    You're using HAAT as and example rather than HSTR, does that mean that your guild haven't beat HSTR yet? Because if you haven't then it almost certainly means you wouldn't be able to do much in the new territory battle. Supposedly it's hard even at g12+5. The requirements do make sense.

I used the Tank as an example because, as stated in the original anecdote, we're down to killing it in less than 2 hours now. So we've gone from not being able to beat it but still repeatedly trying to beating it in less than 2 hours.
    I felt that was a more dramatic example of what being allowed to try can result in as opposed to our Sith story. But as you ask, yes we beat Heroic Sith. But not in less than 2 hours.