Do something about mods if you want a competitive mode

Prev1
All I'm asking is for less RNG to be involved. Mods are like a nightmare for most players, I haven't gotten a single mod with +20 speed secondary in 6 months or more and I've gone through alot of mods. I understand for the devs it's a revenue stream, get players frustrated with bad rolls to keep refreshing for more mods, but this situation is almost unacceptable.

Now with GA championships it's more important than ever to give players a more even playing field when it comes to mods, especially when in and out of metas where a single point of speed can make the difference between winning and losing.

My opinion is that 1. You need to boost speed drops and 2. You need to boost other stats to lower the importance of speed. Now that we got g13 and we get +8 speed in all characters, it's getting to the point where characters are getting pretty fast anyways.

Replies

• jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    All I'm asking is for less RNG to be involved. Mods are like a nightmare for most players, I haven't gotten a single mod with +20 speed secondary in 6 months or more and I've gone through alot of mods. I understand for the devs it's a revenue stream, get players frustrated with bad rolls to keep refreshing for more mods, but this situation is almost unacceptable.

Now with GA championships it's more important than ever to give players a more even playing field when it comes to mods, especially when in and out of metas where a single point of speed can make the difference between winning and losing.

My opinion is that 1. You need to boost speed drops and 2. You need to boost other stats to lower the importance of speed. Now that we got g13 and we get +8 speed in all characters, it's getting to the point where characters are getting pretty fast anyways.

Simply giving everyone better mods does not necessarily even the playing field. There are 4 types of players:
    1. Players that farmed a ton of mods and have a lot of really good mods
    2. Players that farmed a ton of mods and do not have a lot of really good mods
    3. Players that did not farm a ton of mods and have a lot of really good mods
    4. Players that did not farm a ton of mods and do not have a lot of really good mods

Closing the gap between types 1&2 and 3&4 is ok. Types 1&2 are similar with the difference of RNG. Same for 3&4. The danger, and source of most of the pushback, comes when you artificially close the gap between types 1&4.

If there were a solution that did not close the gap between players 1 and 4 you'd get more support. Now go get creative and propose a solution.

Boosting speed drops devalues the investment for players in group 1 and allows players in group 4 to rapidly catch up without much expenditure. Since the players in group 1 tend to be the "tip of the spear" type players I expect you'll get a lot of pushback.

Boosting other stats is likely to break a lot of the PVE difficulty scaling and with two major PVE tables (DSGTB and LSGTB) coming out seems unlikely.

Edit: formatting of list
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I agree the mods are a major problem. luck should not be the, or at least not a major, factor in winning. All I do is farm speed mods and can't come close to the top speeds at the top. you need to flip a coin heads like 7 times in a row to get the best. I mean, if a coin had other 9 sides.

I had thought we were going a better way with the jkr mods. They had told us health was being prioritized more (iirc), and the boosts to other stats% were adjusted as well. You didn't need to be the fastest to win with jkr. or traya for that matter. this speed meta is awful, and CBM is a completely broken mechanic.

So there is a way around needing the best speed mods, but it isn't in boosting or free speed mods. It's in designing teams that can win with other stats prioritized. imo
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Simply giving everyone better mods does not necessarily even the playing field. There are 4 types of players:
    1. Players that farmed a ton of mods and have a lot of really good mods
    2. Players that farmed a ton of mods and do not have a lot of really good mods
    3. Players that did not farm a ton of mods and have a lot of really good mods
    4. Players that did not farm a ton of mods and do not have a lot of really good mods

Closing the gap between types 1&2 and 3&4 is ok. Types 1&2 are similar with the difference of RNG. Same for 3&4. The danger, and source of most of the pushback, comes when you artificially close the gap between types 1&4.

If there were a solution that did not close the gap between players 1 and 4 you'd get more support. Now go get creative and propose a solution.

Boosting speed drops devalues the investment for players in group 1 and allows players in group 4 to rapidly catch up without much expenditure. Since the players in group 1 tend to be the "tip of the spear" type players I expect you'll get a lot of pushback.

Boosting other stats is likely to break a lot of the PVE difficulty scaling and with two major PVE tables (DSGTB and LSGTB) coming out seems unlikely.

Edit: formatting of list

I feel you, however being in group 2 I can tell you that it wouldn't bother me for more players to have better mods, at least this way I know that superior strategy prevails as opposed to superior RNG.

It also helps when we have metas where speed isn't the determining factor but for GA and TW I'm totally cool with more players having better mods.

I mean they could implement code where if you sell a number of mods with low speed like your +3-5s that simply upgraded all stats but speed you could get an increased chance to have speed upgraded on your next couple mods. Perhaps make it so that you can fuse mods with low speed (3-5) into mods with higher speed and the other stats random. So for example you can fuse 4 mods with 3-6 speed secondaries into 1 mod with the combined speed of all 4 and random stats in the other 3 slots. Coming from group B I'll take anything to end this mod drought and be able to compete at high level
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    I disagree whole heartedly. I think those who put in the daily grind 24/7 to get better mods should have an advantage over those who say they don't have any luck with mods but don't put in the work everyday to better their mods situation. So many people I've talked to who say the same thing about not having luck with mods. Are you farming/buying mods and slicing mats everyday? No. Well there you go, that's the reason right there. Sure, they are hard to come by but they should be of your really think about it.

lol the always hilarious "farm more mods" argument. sigh. I mean, do you actually think people aren't farming and slicing everyday? top arena players, i mean
  • TVF
    36611 posts Member
    Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I disagree whole heartedly. I think those who put in the daily grind 24/7 to get better mods should have an advantage over those who say they don't have any luck with mods but don't put in the work everyday to better their mods situation. So many people I've talked to who say the same thing about not having luck with mods. Are you farming/buying mods and slicing mats everyday? No. Well there you go, that's the reason right there. Sure, they are hard to come by but they should be of your really think about it.

lol the always hilarious "farm more mods" argument. sigh. I mean, do you actually think people aren't farming and slicing everyday? top arena players, i mean

Lots of complainers here that aren't top arena players, so yes, I agree that a lot of people here aren't farming and slicing every day, or aren't doing refreshes for it, or aren't using their slicing materials appropriately.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options

I've won more than 80% of GA, I regularly place 1st in Sith raid, trust me I'm not doing bad at slicing materials
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

Welcome to OP.

The op is crazy for telling his side of the story, but you aren't crazy for assuming things you can't possibly know about?

I am not lying when I'm saying I haven't had a good mod in 6 months and I'm in a position to know that because it's happening to me, nobody else can possibly know if I'm lying or telling the truth because they aren't me. Now I've farmed alot of mods but even if I hadn't, just from events and mythics I should at least have pulled half a dozen good mods in 6 months, but I haven't and I KNOW IT'S TRUE, you can't possibly know it's a lie or not, but for the sake of argument let's say you believe me, would your opinion still be the same?
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options

Lots of complainers here that aren't top arena players, so yes, I agree that a lot of people here aren't farming and slicing every day, or aren't doing refreshes for it, or aren't using their slicing materials appropriately.

What? You mean I'm not supposed to slice ever mod I get?
  • TVF
    36611 posts Member
    Options
    OP needs to post OP's gg account so we can examine OP's mods but OP is afraid to and we all know why.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options

Yes! Yes I really believe there are MANY who use the "I don't have luck with mods" tactic as an excuse. Yes I believe there are some (probably not many but definitely more than you think there are) at the top that aren't working on mods every day. Because if I didn't believe it I would not have said it.

ok
  • Options
    I never said you were doing bad with mods. But with that said, why the post then? For the ones who aren't putting in the work for them? That's their problem that will only continue to be a problem for them until they do something about it.

I'm not doing bad with slicing mats, I'm doing bad with drops
  • Options
    OP needs to post OP's gg account so we can examine OP's mods but OP is afraid to and we all know why.

Of course I'm not, cause people can be mean, as far as you know you could be my guild leader or a guild officer in my guild and kick me out of a TB because you don't like me. Or EA could hit my account for posting complaints too much. Whatever the case may you're right, I won't post my gg account
  • Options

It will show he plays Marvel or actually has hair and is not balding?
  • Options
    iwd19xz9qr8v.jpg

How about type 2 and type 3 players? I'll stay out of the statistics side of it and just say that the luck associated with obtaining the five right mods has overly defined the current arena meta.
  • Options
    I never said you were doing bad with mods. But with that said, why the post then? For the ones who aren't putting in the work for them? That's their problem that will only continue to be a problem for them until they do something about it.

Everyone goes through it though and that's my point. You just have to stick with it and most people don't. How is your mods situation now? Mind posting a link to swgoh.gg profile?

I wish I could, however with people like TVF around I can't be doing this, it would be unwise
  • jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    Options
    iwd19xz9qr8v.jpg

How about type 2 and type 3 players? I'll stay out of the statistics side of it and just say that the luck associated with obtaining the five right mods has overly defined the current arena meta.

That's a problem we're currently living with. For some reason it's a lot more palatable for folks to endure existing issues than it is to transition to new one (change is bad!). In this case, you'll likely get a lot of pushback from the type 3 player. That's the type that post on the forum that the cost of moving mods is too high and farming more is not an answer.

• Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options

Everyone goes through it though and that's my point. You just have to stick with it and most people don't. How is your mods situation now? Mind posting a link to swgoh.gg profile?

I wish I could, however with people like TVF around I can't be doing this, it would be unwise

LOL nah, he's all bark with no bite. Don't mind him at all. I'm 15 months in but here's mine. Certainly not the best but I'm proud of what I've gotten after 15 months of playing. I really struggle with good speed set mods myself. Have a decent amount of the others but not speed sets lol

https://swgoh.gg/p/466819464/

I mean, sometimes he bites. You just dont know him well enough.
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options

I was scared once.....of the troll under my bed....
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    Kokie wrote: »

That was just me...
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options
    Monel wrote: »
    Kokie wrote: »

That was just me...

I knew it!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

If you don't want to share your .gg profile that's fine, but why would it be unwise to do so with people like TVF around? What's he gonna do that makes it unwise? Laugh? O_o
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36611 posts Member
    Options

Of course I'm not, cause people can be mean, as far as you know you could be my guild leader or a guild officer in my guild and kick me out of a TB because you don't like me. Or EA could hit my account for posting complaints too much. Whatever the case may you're right, I won't post my gg account

This is an amazing display of paranoia.
  • TVF
    36611 posts Member
    Options

LOL nah, he's all bark with no bite. Don't mind him at all. I'm 15 months in but here's mine. Certainly not the best but I'm proud of what I've gotten after 15 months of playing. I really struggle with good speed set mods myself. Have a decent amount of the others but not speed sets lol

https://swgoh.gg/p/466819464/

He's not avoiding it because of me. He's avoiding it because his gg can tie all his other forum accounts here together. Same reason Edward kept refusing to post his gg.