GA Algorithm - Worse Than Before??

Prev134
Nikoms565
14242 posts Member
edited June 2019
So I was excited that the GA matchup algorithm was going to be improved. I was also excited for GAC to start (correctly this time). The I go into my first round matchup...

The person I am against in round 1 has 220k more character GP than me (2.882 million to 2.661 million). Has a 7*, g12+5 Malak (I don't have Malak at all). Mod-wise he has:

68 15+speed mods to my 36.
57 100+offense mods to my 26.

This is not an improvement. This is far worse than any matchup I have ever faced in any previous GA. It's not better - it's worse. Please fix the game mode - especially if this is going to be the long term "dominant" mode to replace arena.
In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
*This space left intentionally blank*

Replies

• UdalCuain
    5022 posts Member
    Options
    We have a 4.2m player, and a 3.8m player. There's 150k difference in character GP either side of me.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    UdalCuain wrote: »
    We have a 4.2m player, and a 3.8m player. There's 150k difference in character GP either side of me.

So they did make it worse. Awesome.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • UdalCuain
    5022 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I normally don't complain about matchmaking, but every previous iteration of GA I've been really closely matched, so haven't really had cause to. Looking at all the other threads here and reddit something looks wrong.
  • TVF
    36620 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

I thought you were on a launch shard.

(I started in April 17 and I have exactly 68 myself)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    UdalCuain wrote: »
    I normally don't complain about matchmaking, but every previous iteration of GA I've been really closely matched, so haven't really had cause to. Looking at all the other threads here and reddit something looks wrong.

Same. I never liked DR/Malak rosters versus rosters that had neither, but this is clearly worse than before.

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

Congrats on being lucky. Stay on topic please. If you want to "t", take it somewhere else.

• Options
    in my group there is a 4.1m GP and 4.5m GP where the rest is 4.8-5m. Charachter GP close to 2.5 for the 4.1m and 2.7 for the 4.5m where all rest is high 2.8 up to 3m.

So while the 4.5m GP account is still reasonable close to most in terms of character GP the 4.1m GP account isnt (500k difference with the highest char GP)

It certainly looks like something went wrong in matchmaking

*note the 4.1m GP is a very focused roster
  • TVF
    36620 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

Congrats on being lucky. Stay on topic please. If you want to "t", take it somewhere else.

You're the one that brought up mods. How on earth are they supposed to matchmake based on mods?

(and something tells me this isn't just a case of luck. since you brought that up too)
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

You're the one that brought up mods. How on earth are they supposed to matchmake based on mods?

Seriously? Discord apps can check mods - how hard would it be to code them within certain ranges of each other?

• Options
    I have a 400k GP disadvantage and have to place 8 squads instead of the usual six (I'm assuming based on the toon GP of my opponent). One of my guildmates is 3.8 and his bracket ranges from 4.1 to 4.8.

It would be nice if they stated this is intentional and WAI. I sense a significant reallocation of my free time if that's the case.
  • TVF
    36620 posts Member
    Options

Seriously? Discord apps can check mods - how hard would it be to code them within certain ranges of each other?

I'm sure they can do it.

Why should they?
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

I'm sure they can do it.

Why should they?

They indicated that the purpose of changing the matchup algorithm was so that players would "be matched up against someone who looks more like them." (from the GA matchmaking improvements thread. Whether or not you agree with that philosophy, that is their stated goal.

Big discrepancies in GP, mods or roster makeup (and I would consider one squad having DR/Malak maxed an another not even having them at all a fairly large discrepancy) do not reflect that stated goal. SOmething seem very broken regarding the current matchmaking. The same types of posts are proliferating Reddit - so hopefully the devs will see them there.

• YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Checking mods and matchmaking based on them are two entirely different things.

And if you give significant weight to the number of high speed mods as a determiner of how many effective units you can field, you've created an exploitable loophole in the system where units who don't care about speed mods- Baze, Droideka, Mission, Big Z, some Chewie builds, Resistance Trooper, Sith Trooper, Nest- become disproportionately beneficial in a way that the matchmaking algorithm would fail to account for.

This is not a failure of the matchmaking algorithm. You're just looking for an excuse to play the victim.
    Still not a he.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »

And if you give significant weight to the number of high speed mods as a determiner of how many effective units you can field, you've created an exploitable loophole in the system where units who don't care about speed mods- Baze, Droideka, Mission, Big Z, some Chewie builds, Resistance Trooper, Sith Trooper, Nest- become disproportionately beneficial in a way that the matchmaking algorithm would fail to account for.

This is not a failure of the matchmaking algorithm. You're just looking for an excuse to play the victim.

Apparently so are the several hundred people flooding the forums and Reddit with similar matchup concerns.

In the first (failed) launch of GAC, there was a guy in our bracket who had a 6* Traya, no Malak and no DR. Many of the rest of us had 2 (2 had all 3) maxed. And the differences in mods, g12, zetas, etc. were all way off compared to previous iterations of GA. I'm not "playing the victim". I legitimately think something is wrong with the matchup calculations.

The "new" algorithm has created far less even matchups within a given bracket than the previous one, as evidenced by the numerous screen shots (both in-game and from Discord) showing a much bigger discrepancy in matchups.

• Options
    I'm finally facing opponents with about the same number of g12 characters and zetas who appear to be fellow collectors with deep rosters. That being said, at least two of them really drew the short straw. They're in division 6 with considerably lower total and character GP while the rest of us are in 5. One of them has 983k toon GP compared to my 1.2 million, and I'm still 100k below another opponent.

I hope they get to set the same number of defensive teams at least. The matchmaking is really in my favor this time, but it doesn't feel fair and I have a feeling it will be the other way around in 5v5 with fleet. While I'm glad that it's no longer purely based on raw GP, it still needs fine tuning.
  • TVF
    36620 posts Member
    Options

Apparently so are the several hundred people flooding the forums and Reddit with similar matchup concerns.

If that's the metric we're going by, every single thing in the game is and has always been utter garbage and no one should spend one minute playing this garbage game.
  • TVF
    36620 posts Member
    Options
    I'm finally facing opponents with about the same number of g12 characters and zetas who appear to be fellow collectors with deep rosters. That being said, at least two of them really drew the short straw. They're in division 6 with considerably lower total and character GP while the rest of us are in 5. One of them has 983k toon GP compared to my 1.2 million, and I'm still 100k below another opponent.

I hope they get to set the same number of defensive teams at least. The matchmaking is really in my favor this time, but it doesn't feel fair and I have a feeling it will be the other way around in 5v5 with fleet. While I'm glad that it's no longer purely based on raw GP, it still needs fine tuning.

You always set the same number of teams as your opponent. This was addressed in a dev post somewhere.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options

In the first (failed) launch of GAC, there was a guy in our bracket who had a 6* Traya, no Malak and no DR. Many of the rest of us had 2 (2 had all 3) maxed. And the differences in mods, g12, zetas, etc. were all way off compared to previous iterations of GA. I'm not "playing the victim". I legitimately think something is wrong with the matchup calculations.

The "new" algorithm has created far less even matchups within a given bracket than the previous one, as evidenced by the numerous screen shots (both in-game and from Discord) showing a much bigger discrepancy in matchups.
    Is it, though?

A lot of the people who actually show the full Discord readout- which is not the majority of those complaining- have pretty fair matchups but large toon GP disparities that appear to be caused by fluff.

We had one thread a few minutes ago where the OP was courteous enough to include links to rosters. They were complaining about a 400k difference in character GP, but I scroll down to the bottom of their opponent's roster and I'm seeing things like a 4* G8 level 85 Sith Marauder. The opponent had WAY more fluff.

These complaints are flooding, but are they really valid?
    Still not a he.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

Is it, though?

A lot of the people who actually show the full Discord readout- which is not the majority of those complaining- have pretty fair matchups but large toon GP disparities that appear to be caused by fluff.

We had one thread a few minutes ago where the OP was courteous enough to include links to rosters. They were complaining about a 400k difference in character GP, but I scroll down to the bottom of their opponent's roster and I'm seeing things like a 4* G8 level 85 Sith Marauder. The opponent had WAY more fluff.

These complaints are flooding, but are they really valid?

I'll let CG decide. That's why I am posting.

I realize my 8-player bracket is a small sample size - but the first GAC and this one are by far the worst GA matchups, in terms of balance, I have ever seen compared to any previous GA - no matter what metrics you want to look at - g12, zetas, character GP, mods, etc. There are much bigger discrepancies in all of those areas between the strongest and weakest players in these GAC brackets then there ever were before. I am sitting down dinner right now, but am more than happy to post full screen shots (and discord stats) to back up that claim tomorrow morning when I have more time.

But CG can check all that as well - and on a much larger scale. That's why I am bringing it to their attention.

• Options
    Matchmaking needs to be sorted out for when it comes to Malak and Revan squads, when one player has one and one does not. these characters are near impenetrable, when you have to go up against other speed fed teams with great synergy, like night sisters, phoenix, ewoks, jawas, old republic, first order, jedi, rebels, jedi, jedi, bounty hunters, resistance, cls just to name a few, and dont forget the time out battles!!
  • Options
    To me the problem lies in rewarding those who are unintelligent with their rosters and punishing those of us who were thoughtful and intelligent when upgrading certain teams or characters. Instead my very young and lean roster is being forced to compete against very older rosters that should be much much stronger but aren't due to their choices. Young f2p accounts are already being punished enough because we cannot get teams ready quickly enough to obtain new game changing characters the first time they become available, and with the early re-release of DR even more completely f2p players have missed out yet again on another game changing character which we've worked hard trying to prepare for. So now yet again, they punish my account which is 2.95M by making me match up with other accounts that are 3.8M but not as intelligently geared as mine. What i don't understand is how we try to justify these constant and repetitive decisions that penalize people for being smart. I've been very close to quitting and had I not already invested over a year and a half into my account, i'd be gone already. The obvious greed, laziness and disregard for their player base is matched only by their inability to release content that isn't constantly bugged or completely coded wrong. This is just another reason that they are consistently losing incoming revenue. If your product isn't worth spending money on, people won't spend. Props to CG and EA for doubling down on the greed and laziness while letting the game die.
  • swgohfan29
    1147 posts Member
    Options
    I just ran through a quick check of my competito without checking the mods.

2 of us have both revans. 2 have none. 3 have JR and 1 has DR. None have Malak.

Just stick to GP next time.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    I have a 400k GP disadvantage and have to place 8 squads instead of the usual six (I'm assuming based on the toon GP of my opponent).
    i suggest you actually take a minute to verify that.

My first opponent has almost 600k (~50%) more character GP than me and is 2 divisions above me but I am deploying the same number of squads as I normally would.

The ironic part is that I am going to curb stomp him.
  • TVF
    36620 posts Member
    Options
    swgohfan29 wrote: »
    I just ran through a quick check of my competito without checking the mods.

2 of us have both revans. 2 have none. 3 have JR and 1 has DR. None have Malak.

Just stick to GP next time.

What's the problem exactly?
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options

(and something tells me this isn't just a case of luck. since you brought that up too)

Mods are about the only thing I have in common with my opponent, so maybe it actually is. Otherwise I'm down 400k GP, 4 zetas, and 30 G11/12 characters.
    I thought it was simple. Go by character GP when GA is just toons, and total GP when it's ships and toons.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Cs99
    146 posts Member
    Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »

Mods are about the only thing I have in common with my opponent, so maybe it actually is. Otherwise I'm down 400k GP, 4 zetas, and 30 G11/12 characters.
    I thought it was simple. Go by character GP when GA is just toons, and total GP when it's ships and toons.

People who had fluffed roster complained so cg change the algorithm to only account the top of you and your opponents rosters instead of all your roster. Thank the people who flooded the forum for this.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

2 of us have both revans. 2 have none.

I'll type nice and slow, so you'll understand...
    From the GAC match-up rework post from Crumb.... "they’ll be matched up against someone who looks more like them."

Now look at the bolded from the post you quoted. I'll wait. You'll see it eventually.

I wouldn't consider having the two characters that have been meta for the past 6+ months, while others have neither to be" looking like them. "

• Options

2 of us have both revans. 2 have none.

I'll type nice and slow, so you'll understand...
    From the GAC match-up rework post from Crumb.... "they’ll be matched up against someone who looks more like them."

Now look at the bolded from the post you quoted. I'll wait. You'll see it eventually.

I wouldn't consider having the two characters that have been meta for the past 6+ months, while others have neither to be" looking like them. "

I disagree with your fundamental complaint that the characters should be the same or similar. But even we accept that as a flaw, how does it make it worse than it was before? The matchmaking process has never factored that in. The only change we have identified is that it previously counted your entire character GP, and now it only counts the GP of the top X number of toons. If you want to argue it's worse, it has to be based around that change. I'd argue that they need to expand that number slightly (I'd suggest diminishing returns as you go past X), but I still can't see how this is worse.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Cs99 wrote: »
    CaptainRex wrote: »

People who had fluffed roster complained so cg change the algorithm to only account the top of you and your opponents rosters instead of all your roster. Thank the people who flooded the forum for this.

Except that's not how it seems to be working. See the post from swgohfan29 for what I mean.