Will they ever respond to complaints about GAC matchmaking?

Prev13
21_Savage_Opress
23 posts Member
edited July 2019
All I see on the forums are fully justified complaints about the awful matchmaking. My current opponent has 800k more GP than me, a reoccurring issue that keeps happening to me. Now I know there will be the people that will go ‘iT tAkEs iNtO AcCoUnT sHiP gP too🤡’... yes I am fully aware of this. But this person is the division above me, his whole collection is so much more highly rounded than mine, how am I possibly going to win? I know for a fact if I was matched with someone 800k less than me the odds would be in my favour. The fact is, what is the point of having divisions if we just get matched with people from the division above us? I am one of two people in division 4, the other 6 people are division 3.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Options
    ayh4m6s5cezm.jpeg
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    They already responded at every turn and they will prolly keep tweaking the current scheme.

Your supposedly fully justified complaint isn't fully justified at all though as the method they picked right now have nothing to do with total GPs. Whatever they do going from here, I doubt we'll ever see an MM based on total GPs.
  • Options
    No_Try wrote: »
    They already responded at every turn and they will prolly keep tweaking the current scheme.

Your supposedly fully justified complaint isn't fully justified at all though as the method they picked right now have nothing to do with total GPs. Whatever they do going from here, I doubt we'll ever see an MM based on total GPs.

Where have they responded to unfair matchmaking?
  • DadKev
    314 posts Member
    Options
    There is not a problem with match making. Get over it already.
  • Ultra
    11535 posts Moderator
    Options
    If you look at the top 50 GP, your roster is stronger than his

Going by your own criteria
  • Options
    Ah looks like you have the better toons. Just cause he has more 'bloat' than you doesnt mean its unfair.
    How about you actually have a crack first and use some actual strategy. Ive been in a similar situation and have won, like many others. So take a breath, scout old mates roster and work out how to get the win
    Good luck
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    If you look at the top 50 GP, your roster is stronger than his

Going by your own criteria

Oh is that how matchups are decided? that makes more sense I guess
  • Options
    Love the new match making in GA. Love the new TB. Love gear 13. Everything is going great don’t change CG. Thanks
  • Options
    Grimstoned wrote: »
    Love the new match making in GA. Love the new TB. Love gear 13. Everything is going great don’t change CG. Thanks

Everything is going great? Have you not seen the monumental **** ups that have been happening over the past few months?
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    Options

Everything is going great? Have you not seen the monumental **** ups that have been happening over the past few months?

Monumental is a bit of a stretch. If you haven’t learned by now that divisions have nothing to do with player match making then it’s no surprise you haven’t seen them address other things. And the **** ups you’re referring to are what ? I would say things are going well , most of my guild seems to be having a better time than before.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

This WAS the response to unfair matchmaking.

Before this it was solely based on total GP, which screwed anyone that ever put any gear on any character in the past. It encouraged and rewarded people to literally not even activate characters. That's unacceptable for a game that's about collecting and improving your roster.

Basing it off of relevant GP (among other things) is a far more fair and simple solution than allowing people to remove gear and de-activate characters.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Stick wrote: »

Monumental is a bit of a stretch. If you haven’t learned by now that divisions have nothing to do with player match making then it’s no surprise you haven’t seen them address other things. And the **** ups you’re referring to are what ? I would say things are going well , most of my guild seems to be having a better time than before.

The anakin interactions with malak, Sith assassins kit, the geo tb having 36h phases, cancelling the first GAC and still not getting the scoring right on the second time too, the list goes on, CG are not doing great recently unlike what that person said
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Before this it was solely based on total GP, which screwed anyone that ever put any gear on any character in the past. It encouraged and rewarded people to literally not even activate characters. That's unacceptable for a game that's about collecting and improving your roster.

Basing it off of relevant GP (among other things) is a far more fair and simple solution than allowing people to remove gear and de-activate characters.

Yeah I understand that, stuff like people reducing their gp by only modding the bare minimum of characters etc needed to be accounted for but the amount of unfair matchmaking’s that are happening recently are more of an issue in my opinion. They match people up due to their top 50 characters? Yet considering people use more than 50 for defence and offence if you intent to wipe the board it’s still not good
  • Options
    I want to know how the matches were?
    I ve been paired with ppl that have lower gp than me but they have a much more efficient roster.

I was 1-2 last ga. Close matches.

I won the last round because they didn’t have a malak (where is he!!! Lol) and this one looks super close as well.

All my guildies posting that matches are much closer than before. I understand that 49 is a small sample size. But the aim for matchmaking was for closer matches and that has happened for me.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

Just matchmaking, unfair is your interpretation of it. There are several other announcements that refers to matchmaking before this one if you ever bother to check announcements too.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/207546/grand-arena-championships-matchmaking#latest
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Yeah I understand that, stuff like people reducing their gp by only modding the bare minimum of characters etc needed to be accounted for but the amount of unfair matchmaking’s that are happening recently are more of an issue in my opinion. They match people up due to their top 50 characters? Yet considering people use more than 50 for defence and offence if you intent to wipe the board it’s still not good

The current theory that is that it's based on the top X characters where X = # of defense slots * 5 * 2. In other words, the number of characters you will use if you place full teams on defense and clear everything on offense the first time with full teams.

Seeing as you have more zetas and approximately equal numbers of g11/12/13 characters, I'm not really clear on what you think is unfair here.
  • Options
    They either dont use seeds or dont know how seeds work either. I battled the number 2 guy from last seed
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    Options
    Stick wrote: »

The anakin interactions with malak, Sith assassins kit, the geo tb having 36h phases, cancelling the first GAC and still not getting the scoring right on the second time too, the list goes on, CG are not doing great recently unlike what that person said

None of that can be called monumental. They are small blips in the day to day that not all of the players experience. Many of those are likely unknown to many many players.
  • Options
    because they have their players deep in the black matter, thats why they are never responding.
  • Options
    ayh4m6s5cezm.jpeg

Right there...... you see top 50 characters are a match. It is perfectly even you have the advantage. Your complaint as are 100s of others are invalid.you want easy wins with people without as focus as you have had placed. If so it becomes unfair to your opponent, but who cares right? As long as you win your opponent can wine no matter how unfair it is for them.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    @21_Savage_Opress during the last ga SB Crumb said that they are trying this new system and they want to see how it works over a full championship before tweaking it.

It is based on your top number of characters (number changes based on how many defense teams you need to set).

My own view is that any matchmaking sys yet is unfair to somebody and I am interested to see how this one goes after a while.
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    At least you have more zetas and same g11 and g12, mine is worse off but still should scrape through.
    m0afcfiguv3g.png

And my first matchup was worse but lucky he didn't attack.
    o710rwejynnk.png

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Saada wrote: »
    At least you have more zetas and same g11 and g12, mine is worse off but still should scrape through.
    m0afcfiguv3g.png

How's yours worse? You have a very substantial advantage on g12+ pieces. Please show the mods too.
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    Options
    ycp3q5z0mps2.png
  • Options
    Yeah, you’re a clear favourite. Not sure what you want before you’ll consider a matchup fair.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Saada wrote: »
    ycp3q5z0mps2.png

Do you consider yourself not even having a chance, is the match on the table or will you probably be the one to win it? I know what my answer is looking at these stats. Then let's be honest, do you want -fair matchmaking- or super easy matches you used the get on the previous GA algo? (which also shows on those stats)
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    No idea why the 2nd botting suddenly has shown g12+s on your opponent while the 1st one displayed none. The last bit also goes to show you have DR that your casual opponent will prolly be unable to pass. Singularly on that, there's your win.
  • Options
    That can’t be the same DSR comparison.
  • Options
    @21_Savage_Opress :

You are literally better in all but 6 categories, and 4 of those are Total GP, Toon GP, Ship GP, and Division - which is just another name for GP. So, okay, yes. You're behind in GP, but does that mean anything? Does that hurt you in any way? Does that, on its own, indicate an unfair matchup?

Nope.

In fact, it was specifically because EA/CG was matchmaking only based on GP that the new matching algorithm was implemented. The entire point of their response was to move away from matchmaking based solely or almost-solely on GP. So many of us begged EA/CG to come up with a way of matchmaking that doesn't naively prioritize GP. In response, they implemented this new system, this new system that was their response, so that GP doesn't determine the suitability of an opponent either on its own or dominantly, with other factors remaining only tie breakers.

If they went back to a GP-only or GP-dominant systems, it would be as if millions of forum voices cried out and were suddenly silenced.

So do you have an actual argument other than GP-is-everything that would lead us to believe you have been matched against an unfairly difficult opponent? Well... let's see.

Besides GP, the only 2 areas in which your opponent is better are Defensive Victories and total G12 toons on your roster. Might these justify your assertion that matchmaking is flawed and criticisms of the new system deserve a response?

Let's look at defensive victories first. Compare here to Offensive Victories. You have more than half again the number of offensive victories ... but not a lot more than half again. They have less than half again the number of defensive victories, but not a lot less than half again. It looks to me as if this is purely a matter of play style, and that if you wanted to put more powerful squads on defense you could get more victories there at the cost of some offensive victories. The vast advantage you opponent concedes to you in Offensive Victories, zones conquered, and banners won make clear that this is defensive victory advantage is mainly a matter of play style, and should you simply choose to prioritize defense, you could be just as successful as your opponent.

As for the total number of g12 toons on your respective roster, I don't deny that they have 29 when you have the crushingly low figure of, let me check that again, 28. So, sure, they have it better than you in one single area of roster development that we know plays a key role in winning in GA, but at 29 to 28, the net advantage here is 3.57%. And yet... Even this isn't the advantage to your opponent that it might be. After all, gear doesn't stop at g12. There are 6 pieces of gear you can add to each character after you get them to g12. And so once characters get to g12, which player is doing better at actually maxing them out? Why, you! You have equipped 51 pieces of g12 gear on the left side of qualifying characters, and 6 on the right, compared to 39 on the left and 4 on the right for your opponent.

Meanwhile, you have a 10.52% advantage in zetas, which are every bit as crucial, if not more crucial, to PvP victories than getting your best characters to max gear.

This looks like fairly good matchmaking to me, but if anyone should complain about it, it's your opponent who has to compete against others in Division 3 who are getting more points from setting defenses and more opportunities to earn points from offensive victories by being paired with other Div3 opponents. This is, indeed, an ongoing and valid criticism raised during the GAC Exhibition.

So was that your argument all along, that the matchmaking was to your advantage but was unfair to your opponent? If so, I must applaud your talent for facetious circumlocution. Well done.
  • Options
    If you read further up he didn’t realise how matchmaking now worked. That’s a slightly long-winded dressing down for someone who has admitted they weren’t aware how it worked.