Why such a focus on PVP?

13Next

Replies

• Options
    What are you talking about? Geo TB literally just came out

Yay, how exciting. Now we can all be forced to level MORE characters that nobody cared about before. Yay! The Geonosians. You need them now. I'm soooo glad I can't use any of the toons I've developed so far in this EXCITING new PVE content.

I would like to see them create some PVE content that MAKES USE OF CHARACTERS WE ALREADY HAVE.

I am considerably LESS INTERESTED in another shameless attempt to get us to dig into our wallets to get the newest flavor of the month characters - which will all be useless by the time the next PVE event rolls around. (By that time we'll all be farming "The Rise of Skywalker's ROSE TICO" because she'll be the next must-have-meta.)
    PvE content is difficult to introduce and manage in this game because it very quickly becomes out dated and if they scale the difficulty up then it becomes a problem of the carrot constantly moving forward and is unfair. PvE content is intended to be challenging and eventually conquered.

I agree 100 percent. It probably is more difficult, and so they take the easy way out. And since people are willing to pay over $2400 a month to ensure they "stay competative", then CG will never find a reason to change the way they do things.

• Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Our current PvE content was tuned to the squads at the time of its release. As more and more squads become available, it becomes easier for a new player to snatch up a team of newer toons and finish a lot of PvE content without even a drop of difficulty. I’m okay with this game being PvP, and PvP is how CG earns money, but I see this thread as a call for more PvE content and I’m here to expand on it.

This game lacks story. The closest the developers have ever gotten is a Hero’s Journey, which I’ll talk more about later. But the PvE content that lies at the center of the game, the holotables, is without purpose or story.

The easy answer to PvE seekers is to add a few more nodes to every table at a time, constantly growing so that there are more nodes for new farms. But that’s all that nodes have become; just a farming location.

So I propose a new holotable: Story Mode. I’m sure this has been mentioned before in some form or another, and this is an idea I love. This would be like one long hero’s journey, where the player is limited to certain toons in order to complete each level, or node. There could be different stories, like in some games, or story missions. CG could make their own stories, they could use existing stories, Legends stories, anything, but the idea is that new PvE content is always coming, is always replayable, and serves a purpose. There are also many ways that the devs can make money from this mode without just throwing on some gear and making it simable. It also could force players to have a very wide roster.

This seems like the best way to add PvE content, and I hope the devs consider it.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Zippy_3000 wrote: »

Yay, how exciting. Now we can all be forced to level MORE characters that nobody cared about before. Yay! The Geonosians. You need them now. I'm soooo glad I can't use any of the toons I've developed so far in this EXCITING new PVE content.

Feel free to choose Hoth TB.
    I would like to see them create some PVE content that MAKES USE OF CHARACTERS WE ALREADY HAVE.

I am considerably LESS INTERESTED in another shameless attempt to get us to dig into our wallets to get the newest flavor of the month characters - which will all be useless by the time the next PVE event rolls around.

You do realise, that CG is a bussiness, right? They aim to create revenue. With no incentive to develop new characters, there would be much less revenue.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    You do realise, that CG is a bussiness, right? They aim to create revenue. With no incentive to develop new characters, there would be much less revenue.

You do realize that there are other f2p games that don’t behave this way right? And that many popular games generate lots of revenue without resorting to such greedy tactics right? And that even this game wasn’t always in such a sad state as it’s currently in right?
  • Options
    Nihion wrote: »
    Our current PvE content was tuned to the squads at the time of its release. As more and more squads become available, it becomes easier for a new player to snatch up a team of newer toons and finish a lot of PvE content without even a drop of difficulty. I’m okay with this game being PvP, and PvP is how CG earns money, but I see this thread as a call for more PvE content and I’m here to expand on it.

This game lacks story. The closest the developers have ever gotten is a Hero’s Journey, which I’ll talk more about later. But the PvE content that lies at the center of the game, the holotables, is without purpose or story.

The easy answer to PvE seekers is to add a few more nodes to every table at a time, constantly growing so that there are more nodes for new farms. But that’s all that nodes have become; just a farming location.

So I propose a new holotable: Story Mode. I’m sure this has been mentioned before in some form or another, and this is an idea I love. This would be like one long hero’s journey, where the player is limited to certain toons in order to complete each level, or node. There could be different stories, like in some games, or story missions. CG could make their own stories, they could use existing stories, Legends stories, anything, but the idea is that new PvE content is always coming, is always replayable, and serves a purpose. There are also many ways that the devs can make money from this mode without just throwing on some gear and making it simable. It also could force players to have a very wide roster.

This seems like the best way to add PvE content, and I hope the devs consider it.

I agree 100 percent.. and I think your idea is great.

They don’t even need to do much to come up with story ideas! The SW universe is loaded with them. Do a whole thing where you play through episode iv .. using all your characters in all the scenes. Do a ship raid on the death star.. do a whole tattooing story with the useless sand people and jawas .. do SOMETHING!

Also, you are absolutely correct about the dead holotables .. they are right in front of you when you launch the game.. yet they are so old and outdated that they offer no challenge, no story, no creativity, no imagination.. they are just a shard farm. That’s a very telling statement right there.. you launch the game, you see a shard farm, which does nothing, except serve as an incentive to go beyond it with your wallet.

• Options
    A few things:
    1. Though i'm not lifetime ftp, I still pull top 10. All about mods which I've invested a ton of energy in. I'm the fastest person in my shard but there's plenty that have different more in a day then I've spent collectively.
    2. Anti meta- my jkr w/ thrawn team took out malak. Now, DR with gmy takes out g13 malak.
    3. Pvp ages better. Most people will be auto playing GTB. This won't happen with GAC.
    4. Business should provide the opportunity for people to spend as much money as they like. If someone wants to spend 50k on the game, it's literally CG's job to make sure they can.
    5. As a ftp, accept that someone whos dropped ac ton of money should beat you. Congrats- that 20k I spent on a car bought you a win in arena.
    6. I consider this is both the best game on mobile and is exceptionally ftp friendly. I have access to all content when it's released.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

I am considerably LESS INTERESTED in another shameless attempt to get us to dig into our wallets to get the newest flavor of the month characters - which will all be useless by the time the next PVE event rolls around. (By that time we'll all be farming "The Rise of Skywalker's ROSE TICO" because she'll be the next must-have-meta.)

Geo TB has quite a few nodes on which you can use any DS characters. It absolutely makes use of characters we already have. It also makes additional characters useful that previously were not, which is something many people have repeatedly asked for.
  • Andros
    42 posts Member
    Options
    Because it's fun
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »
    Geo TB has quite a few nodes on which you can use any DS characters. It absolutely makes use of characters we already have. It also makes additional characters useful that previously were not, which is something many people have repeatedly asked for.

Mmmm quite a few. So first: dark side only = half or less. Then subtract the nodes that only allow separatists.

Wow.. what a massive thank you I owe CG. Sooo much new content. I guess if I get out my credit card, I can get the separatists.. and yeah, you know the price will probably be reasonable right? Like, it’ll probably only cost me $300 or something to get them halfway ready to go against level 96 clone troopers. . So that’s reasonable right?

Slash eye roll

• jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    Options

From some of your follow up posts it sounds like you want PVE content that makes use of characters YOU already have? The new TB makes use of:
    • Geonosians - of which many folks had Soldier, Spy, and Sun Fac at G12+ for fleet
    • GG - one of the most popular G13 characters
    • B1/Droideka - characters people have been farming and gearing to go with GG anyway
    • Asajj - a staple in HSTR
    • Dooku - a character that has been up and down and been in the meta before
    • B2 - a character many folks either geared or started to gear up for the Padme event

Which really just leaves:
    • Brood Alpha - the new shiney for the PVE content
    • Nute Gunray - a "flavor of the month" thanks to his rework
    • IG-100 - an optional droid separatist
    • Poggle the Lesser - still a lesser character

That looks pretty F2P friendly to me and seems to make use of characters that a lot of people already have or were already working on. If you don't have any of these it does not mean that the new PVE content does not make use of characters that many people already have.

• mellamoroberto
    259 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

I see a huge distinction between requiring development of specific characters to complete a task, and actually making them useful.

The former = forced grind and/or spending to participate and/or accomplish something. i.e develop and use these particular characters that may not interest you at all, or lose/miss out

The latter = updating characters so they're as useful and powerful as the "meta" or not making the conscious choice to have new characters obliterate existing ones in the first place.

I prefer the latter. Or perhaps even making certain characters/factions more useful in a particular event like with the bonuses in Sith raid, but not outright requiring them.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options

I see a huge distinction between requiring development of specific characters to complete a task, and actually making them useful.

The former = forced grind and/or spending to participate and/or accomplish something. i.e develop and use these particular characters that may not interest you at all, or lose/miss out

The latter = updating characters so they're as useful and powerful as the "meta" or not making the conscious choice to have new characters obliterate existing ones in the first place.

I prefer the latter. Or perhaps even making certain characters/factions more useful in a particular event like with the bonuses in Sith raid, but not outright requiring them.

True, but required development is better than “I have these terrible characters that I don’t know what to do with.” And geos were just made so much better and will get better still.
  • jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    Options

They did both.

For the latter, they udpated GG. They updated B2. They updated Nute. They updated the Geonosian faction (via Brood Alpha, and more reworks may be coming).

I think the difference is that CG is looking at the meta from a GAC perspective and most players are still focused on the arena meta. Separatist Droids, Geonosians, and Padme lead GR (likely required in the LSGTB when it comes) all have a spot in GA now.
  • Options
    Thank you for those replies.

I don't always keep up on the status of the game as well as I should, so could one of you please tell me whether Geo Soldier, Spy, and Sun Fac have been reworked/updated, or what announcements if any have been made regarding changes to them?

I have them at 7* around G9 so developing them a bit more wouldn't be a huge ordeal.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

Mmmm quite a few. So first: dark side only = half or less. Then subtract the nodes that only allow separatists.

Wow.. what a massive thank you I owe CG. Sooo much new content. I guess if I get out my credit card, I can get the separatists.. and yeah, you know the price will probably be reasonable right? Like, it’ll probably only cost me $300 or something to get them halfway ready to go against level 96 clone troopers. . So that’s reasonable right?

Slash eye roll

Half or less? Out of the squad missions in each phase (and I'm counting the specials here, btw), the number that allow you to use any DS characters:
    P1: 3 of 5
    P2: 4 of 6
    P3: 3 of 5
    P4: 4 of 6

Tell me again how that's half or less?

If it costs you $300 to get separatists at this point then you haven't bothered farming/gearing them up to now despite knowing for months that Geonosis TB was coming. Sounds like a you problem.

It's not reasonable to expect every single character to hold with the meta. But people have long asked for unused characters to be given a use, so that there is a reason to have/build them. And CG has continually done just that, added events like assault battles, TB battles, etc. that make use of characters that didn't previously have a purpose. I'm not saying they're doing this out of the goodness of their hearts - it also benefits them to incentivize people to work on previously neglected characters. But in addition to that effect, it also satisfies a request that many people have made over the years.