zeekdog wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    They say this:
    That's not exactly what they said, they said they felt like it would be too niche, and only played by a smaller segment of the community.
    Q: This obviously comes up in every Q&A, but has the team seriously considered adding some kind of Sandbox mode that would allow us to use our full roster?
    A: TopHat - We've talked about it before a number of times and given answers to it. Our disposition is still the same - in our experience running this game we have yet to see anything that would indicate to us that a mode that does not yield rewards would be played with by more than a handful of players. In general, players do things that net progress in the game - thing that don't yield progress in they don't engage with. We've talked about creating an experiment to test this further, but it takes away from building bigger things.

Then say this:
    Q: There have been a lot of players asking for new content such as new raids, a sandbox mode, other kinds of gameplay and that doesn't seem to be reflected in the last Road Ahead.

There’s is not enough interest, you say, but A LOT of players have been asking for it, so which is it? Seems like the interest is there.

They also said they have the metrics and dont see the interest that is expressed by the vocal segment in the game locations that dont offer rewards.
    eepikins wrote: »
    They have no connection with their player base. Every person that is at end game would play the hell out of this mode to try new teams, mod sets, attack strategy... it would actually bring in more money in the form of mods, gear, etc.

I know I would play it non-stop all day. Right now, outside of 15-20 minutes to do my daily stuff there is nothing left to do in the game.

Do you have any data to back this up?

They have data and dont seem to agree.

Not defending the decision, just pointing out that it's hard to back that statement up. They are backing theirs up with data.

“They have data....they are backing theirs up with data....” I call bologna. Again, remind me of the current game mode we can play that has no rewards. That’s the only way to gather said data. This all sounds like corporate speak for “we aren’t sure we can monetize something with no rewards”. Stop repeating the “data” point without giving me something they can be basing it off. I’ll gladly recant if I’m missing a non-rewards game mode we can play.

Marquee events. They offer a number of free plays on these events after the rewards are gained.

I am also not 100% on this, I just cant recall, but weren't TBs playable after 3* at one point before they node locked at 3*.

I have also seen players say they do not even bother with the mace challenge due to the worthless rewards.

There is data out there.

Everything you said was wrong. Lol jk.
    (You should use that line sometime)

Serious note:

How about a Re-VOTE on the matter? I can understand past graph and data polls on non reward events with limited player interests, BUT, in light of current Geo TB missions with increased difficulty and new squad synergies, I think there's an increase of useful viability for current players to take advantage of a "sandbox" mode.

New variables have been introduced and I personally feel like this should be considered in a current debate about the game state.

Cheers

Where would this vote be posted, and why would casual players waste their time with a debate? Most casual players most likely don’t care for this addition of this game mode.

Honestly I don’t know why anyone would vote against it. That’s why CG doesn’t want the vote. They don’t want this mode because they won’t get money in it.

My good sir! I said nothing about "Casual" players. In fact if you read between the lines, I'm inferring about top tier, (Tip of the spear) players trying to clear Geo TB missions.

I agree on the fact that most players (would) support this new implementation to the game. Argument against it was linked to "Marqee Events" and non reward play-throughs, but speaking from my perspective, I'm not interested in those specific fights lined up by CG. Hence, I don't play them multiple times. However, I am interested in fighting Geo squads and theory crafting other non meta teams.

As far as location for voting polls to take place? Well.. we've seen pop up adds or notifications before in-game, maybe use that for something useful? Im sure the devs can figure something out.

Cheers

I know you said nothing about casual players. I brought them up because the top tier does not represent anywhere near the majority of players, and CG probably doesn’t want to risk serving to the most invested players when it risks wasting casual players time. Casual players want content, not practice stations. I don’t think they’d be opposed, just bored.

I’ll remind everyone that this is not my position; simply an interpretation of why CG won’t implement this. Before I’m called a troll, lol
  • Options
    They say this:
    That's not exactly what they said, they said they felt like it would be too niche, and only played by a smaller segment of the community.
    Q: This obviously comes up in every Q&A, but has the team seriously considered adding some kind of Sandbox mode that would allow us to use our full roster?
    A: TopHat - We've talked about it before a number of times and given answers to it. Our disposition is still the same - in our experience running this game we have yet to see anything that would indicate to us that a mode that does not yield rewards would be played with by more than a handful of players. In general, players do things that net progress in the game - thing that don't yield progress in they don't engage with. We've talked about creating an experiment to test this further, but it takes away from building bigger things.

Then say this:
    Q: There have been a lot of players asking for new content such as new raids, a sandbox mode, other kinds of gameplay and that doesn't seem to be reflected in the last Road Ahead.

There’s is not enough interest, you say, but A LOT of players have been asking for it, so which is it? Seems like the interest is there.

They also said they have the metrics and dont see the interest that is expressed by the vocal segment in the game locations that dont offer rewards.
    They have no connection with their player base. Every person that is at end game would play the hell out of this mode to try new teams, mod sets, attack strategy... it would actually bring in more money in the form of mods, gear, etc.

I know I would play it non-stop all day. Right now, outside of 15-20 minutes to do my daily stuff there is nothing left to do in the game.

Not defending the decision, just pointing out that it's hard to back that statement up. They are backing theirs up with data.

“They have data....they are backing theirs up with data....” I call bologna. Again, remind me of the current game mode we can play that has no rewards. That’s the only way to gather said data. This all sounds like corporate speak for “we aren’t sure we can monetize something with no rewards”. Stop repeating the “data” point without giving me something they can be basing it off. I’ll gladly recant if I’m missing a non-rewards game mode we can play.

Marquee events. They offer a number of free plays on these events after the rewards are gained.

I am also not 100% on this, I just cant recall, but weren't TBs playable after 3* at one point before they node locked at 3*.

I have also seen players say they do not even bother with the mace challenge due to the worthless rewards.

There is data out there.

Serious note:

How about a Re-VOTE on the matter? I can understand past graph and data polls on non reward events with limited player interests, BUT, in light of current Geo TB missions with increased difficulty and new squad synergies, I think there's an increase of useful viability for current players to take advantage of a "sandbox" mode.

New variables have been introduced and I personally feel like this should be considered in a current debate about the game state.

Cheers

Where would this vote be posted, and why would casual players waste their time with a debate? Most casual players most likely don’t care for this addition of this game mode.

Honestly I don’t know why anyone would vote against it. That’s why CG doesn’t want the vote. They don’t want this mode because they won’t get money in it.

My good sir! I said nothing about "Casual" players. In fact if you read between the lines, I'm inferring about top tier, (Tip of the spear) players trying to clear Geo TB missions.

I agree on the fact that most players (would) support this new implementation to the game. Argument against it was linked to "Marqee Events" and non reward play-throughs, but speaking from my perspective, I'm not interested in those specific fights lined up by CG. Hence, I don't play them multiple times. However, I am interested in fighting Geo squads and theory crafting other non meta teams.

As far as location for voting polls to take place? Well.. we've seen pop up adds or notifications before in-game, maybe use that for something useful? Im sure the devs can figure something out.

Cheers

I know you said nothing about casual players. I brought them up because the top tier does not represent anywhere near the majority of players, and CG probably doesn’t want to risk serving to the most invested players when it risks wasting casual players time. Casual players want content, not practice stations. I don’t think they’d be opposed, just bored.

I’ll remind everyone that this is not my position; simply an interpretation of why CG won’t implement this. Before I’m called a troll, lol

You make a very good point, except CG has already taken that risk of wasting "casual" player's time and rolling out optimal events catered towards higher spending players.

I think theres a big opportunity tied to a "sandbox mode" that, if done correctly, would benefit the entire player base as a whole. I'd love to see CG get a "Win" both for themselves and from this community.

THIS COULD BE IT!!!
  • Tiig
    296 posts Member
    Options
    It’s about resource management and profit. They’re not going to spend time and resources on a game mode that will generate 0 dollars. Plain and simple, and they are probably more than correct in saying only a limited amount of people would utilize the sandbox mode anyway.

I reckon it could well be a $$$ maker... People playing against each other allows them to hone rosters and work out what they need in order to improve their toons and beat their friends. I reckon the gear bought for that would be more than other areas. I know others in my guild would pay a bit to beat the crap out of me LOL
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Options
    They say this:

Then say this:

There is data out there.

The only data they could possibly have that is comparable to a desired sandbox mode from the live game is the amount of people in arena shard chats that test various teams.

However, this is not a "zero or small rewards" environment. This actually costs crystals to do. Not only that, two people have to agree to spend crystals, and be locked in at the same time, after people's payouts, risking their arena rank. Huge disincentive for testing this way.

I have zero interest in playing the mace challenge, or even gw, which can be beaten with auto basic by a garbage team. There is nothing to learn.

I have zero interest in playing an 8 wave marquee battle against random ai scoundrels that has nothing to do with pvp. There is nothing to learn.

I have HUGE interest in playing against my guild mates or allies in an arena or ga setting with no consequences. I have so many modding ideas that are impossible to test. Sure you mod it and stick it on defense and it gets 1 shot. Tells you nothing. Did they use jkr? Did they use the exact counter I was trying to prevent against? Who knows!

Tldr: give me a sandbox. Your data is inaccurate
  • Options
    They say this:

Then say this:

It’s simple. The question gets asked a lot, but whenever such a thing shows up, nobody plays with them.

If it does show up, the novelty will wear off very quickly.
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Options
    Im sure more than a handful of players would want a sandbox gamemode

• Options

Even if the sandbox were really cool, I'd still like to live a balanced life with a variety of activities.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    They say this:

Then say this:

There is data out there.

Serious note:

Cheers

I understand your argument, and I agree I feel like this doesnt represent as true a sentiment as it would if the player base was "aware they were watching", but its probably still a fair estimate of what would really happen if they introduced the mode.

The marquee run was only "last year", I'm not sure that much has changed in the state of the game.
  • Options
    I do think many will engage if guild players can engage with other guild players. I do think it will be a very good success and appreciated but it won’t bring the coin in directly. Though it will keep the player base entertained.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Snake2 wrote: »
    They say this:

Then say this:

There is data out there.

The only data they could possibly have that is comparable to a desired sandbox mode from the live game is the amount of people in arena shard chats that test various teams.

However, this is not a "zero or small rewards" environment. This actually costs crystals to do. Not only that, two people have to agree to spend crystals, and be locked in at the same time, after people's payouts, risking their arena rank. Huge disincentive for testing this way.

I have zero interest in playing the mace challenge, or even gw, which can be beaten with auto basic by a garbage team. There is nothing to learn.

I have zero interest in playing an 8 wave marquee battle against random ai scoundrels that has nothing to do with pvp. There is nothing to learn.

I have HUGE interest in playing against my guild mates or allies in an arena or ga setting with no consequences. I have so many modding ideas that are impossible to test. Sure you mod it and stick it on defense and it gets 1 shot. Tells you nothing. Did they use jkr? Did they use the exact counter I was trying to prevent against? Who knows!

Tldr: give me a sandbox. Your data is inaccurate

It's not my data. I would love a sandbox mode.

I think what you said here fits exactly what they said. You have a very specific desire to play, if they made a sandbox mode that didnt fit exactly what you wanted you wouldnt play it. This is likely true for many players.... that means they run a higher than normal risk of making a game mode that would only be played by a small segment of players, since there is no rewards to drive up participation.

One example, if that mode didnt have the ability to play against raid bosses, or specific NPC teams (geo TB), they would likely lose a % of the player base right there.
  • Options
    Shadroth wrote: »
    I personally would love a sandbox mode

With how horrendous the gac rewards are and how bugged the game mode is with all of the battles that freeze or crash, just look at gac as your sandbox.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    They say this:

Then say this:

There is data out there.

Serious note:

Cheers

Cheers

You make a very good point, except CG has already taken that risk of wasting "casual" player's time and rolling out optimal events catered towards higher spending players.

I think theres a big opportunity tied to a "sandbox mode" that, if done correctly, would benefit the entire player base as a whole. I'd love to see CG get a "Win" both for themselves and from this community.

THIS COULD BE IT!!!

You mean events like Malak and the Revans? Casual players don’t care to spend, and those higher level toons are something to work towards. The point I’m trying to make is that a sandbox mode offers nothing to work toward which means no money for CG. For them, no money = no mode. That’s probably why they won’t do it.
  • Options
    They say this:

Then say this:

There is data out there.

Serious note:

Cheers

Cheers

THIS COULD BE IT!!!

You mean events like Malak and the Revans? Casual players don’t care to spend, and those higher level toons are something to work towards. The point I’m trying to make is that a sandbox mode offers nothing to work toward which means no money for CG. For them, no money = no mode. That’s probably why they won’t do it.

It also depends on how you build the mode. What if you could only fight your own characters? That would give you incentive to build them up. Do you want to practice beating a GG team for GA? Well build your own so you have one to practice against.

• Options
    Omeah wrote: »
    The fact that they still think that players wouldn’t want a game mode without rewards where they can just simply use their roster, just shows a severe disconnection with their playerbase and honestly it’s frightening

They won't do it because they know you won't play it. They know better what we want.

You have gear challenges and GW you can replay and test your best squads there... isn't that enough...?

Such content means no profit for CG/EA but just costs. The player base is so small and revenue so low for this game they can't afford it.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    They say this:

Then say this:

There is data out there.

Serious note:

Cheers

Cheers

THIS COULD BE IT!!!

It also depends on how you build the mode. What if you could only fight your own characters? That would give you incentive to build them up. Do you want to practice beating a GG team for GA? Well build your own so you have one to practice against.

That makes no sense. Why waste time and resources to build up that team if you hadn’t before? It’s a useful team, and no one would upgrade it just for practice. You could also be using those resources to advance the team you’re trying to beat it with. The existence of this mode is not going to motivate people to spend on a team they haven’t spent on before, especially when the reward isn’t tangible.
  • Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    Omeah wrote: »
    The fact that they still think that players wouldn’t want a game mode without rewards where they can just simply use their roster, just shows a severe disconnection with their playerbase and honestly it’s frightening

Or it shows that they have data that a low (and possibly very vocal) percent of the player base interacts with challenging low reward parts of the game now.

It would be really great if they shared the data they are looking at. I, for one, was shocked were they said "a vast majority of players" did not engage with mods prior to Mods 2.0. I wish they could share something equally insightful on this.

I was skeptical of this until grand arena, then I started noticing just how bad at modding a surprising number of players were
  • Options
    I don't see the issue in this not making them money. Make it cost energy to battle.

Sure some people won't use it, but serious players will for sure. It doesn't have to be perfect just something you can create an enemy squad and battle it to see how the ai in your team works.

It'd probably be a couple week job for one developer.
  • Options
    flarebrass wrote: »
    I don't see the issue in this not making them money. Make it cost energy to battle.

Sure some people won't use it, but serious players will for sure. It doesn't have to be perfect just something you can create an enemy squad and battle it to see how the ai in your team works.

It'd probably be a couple week job for one developer.

They need a design team to set out specs, they probably have developers for gui versus backend etc. There's coordination involved with that, they need to test it. Well hopefully they'd test it...so they'll need a team lead. Basically it would take a team to do it. A team that could be working on other content instead. It's not as simple as oh have Joe knock it out in a couple days.

I personally don't see a huge need for a sandbox. I might get use out of it occasionally, but I'd rather they spent time on better things like QOL.
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »
    They probably look at, for example, how many people replay events that are replayable for no rewards, and have found that despite a vocal group of people insisting this is something they care about, the player base as a whole doesn't make use of the opportunities that do exist.

I hope this isn’t what they’re using to make this poor decision on sandbox mode. Knowledge is power in this game, there is a massive reward in sandbox mode. It might not be in items but there’s a lot to be gained unlike replay events where there’s no knowledge or power to be gained. I really hope they reconsider this.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Sewperbad wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »
    They probably look at, for example, how many people replay events that are replayable for no rewards, and have found that despite a vocal group of people insisting this is something they care about, the player base as a whole doesn't make use of the opportunities that do exist.

I hope this isn’t what they’re using to make this poor decision on sandbox mode. Knowledge is power in this game, there is a massive reward in sandbox mode. It might not be in items but there’s a lot to be gained unlike replay events where there’s no knowledge or power to be gained. I really hope they reconsider this.

That’s just flat out false.
  • JoeDindon
    4 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Anhald was talking about the "blitz mode" in the marvel game, which gives players access to multiple battles using their roster, and let them experiment a bit, but this come with rewards tokens. Maybe, a reworked galactic war, "blitz" like, will show interest for everyone, players who wish to experiment and others who wants to only improve their roster.
    Post edited by JoeDindon on