Point of 3v3 GA?

Prev1
What is the reasoning behind making Grand Arena in a 3v3 format? There is absolutely no place to test the squads, gp difference has even bigger meaning... squads like darth revan, bastila and malak when relic’ed are so overpowered its not even remotely funny... the characters were tuned for 5v5... I get it that 3v3 is something new but grand arena used to be fun and now it is a pain in the ****... why change something that wasn’t broken??

Replies

• Options
    Fun?

Variety?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I'll help you answer your own question.

Think why someone would want to change something?

To add _______.
  • TVF
    36643 posts Member
    Options
    Flexing.

(#5 Div 1)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    I love 3v3. I hope they do it more often because it provides so many different options for teams. I get very very sick of the standard 5v5. Its the same teams in TW, TB, GAC, arena... I'd love to see them do 4v4 and 6v6 just to have something different
  • Options
    6v6 would be awesome.
  • Options
    Miketo28 wrote: »
    6v6 would be awesome.

That would be a little too broken.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    There are 12 rounds every GAC. Plenty of opportunity to test your 3v3 squads and improve your strategy from round to round.

I'm sure some find 3v3 more fun than 5v5.i don't personally, but I make it work anyway.
  • Options
    Baby_Yoda wrote: »
    6v6 would be awesome.

That's just Geos versus 501st every day, nothing to worry about.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    There are 12 rounds every GAC. Plenty of opportunity to test your 3v3 squads and improve your strategy from round to round.

I'm sure some find 3v3 more fun than 5v5.i don't personally, but I make it work anyway.

Not to mention that we all have an equal lack of experience so we’re all on the same footing when it comes to 3v3.

I’m ambivalent in 3v3, personally. I could take it or leave it and be all the same. But I understand why they made it... You can’t do the same thing every time.

Besides. The point if Grand Arena is to see who can do the best within the parameters given. Do the best you can, even if that means you’re like me and you’re going to lose 2/3 of the fights for sure because I don’t have Malak and everyone else in division 1 does.

It’s fine. Can’t win them all, but you can get at least Aurodium and you can win some fights that you didn’t expect to.
  • Options
    APX_919 wrote: »
    Baby_Yoda wrote: »
    6v6 would be awesome.

That's just Geos versus 501st every day, nothing to worry about.

Well yeah for geos.

But I mean you would just run Ahsoka and not let the turret spawn in.

And then yeah that would suck.
  • Options
    I too thought it was an awful idea; until I went 5-0 and only need to win 2 more to get kyber. Now I think 3v3 should be the default mode.
  • Options
    Like everything else in this game: it seemingly exists just to **** off the player base with little reason behind it.

Also so we can have walls to get through like this ut1jy1ij1wvo.png
  • Options
    Kathor wrote: »
    What is the reasoning behind making Grand Arena in a 3v3 format? There is absolutely no place to test the squads, gp difference has even bigger meaning... squads like darth revan, bastila and malak when relic’ed are so overpowered its not even remotely funny... the characters were tuned for 5v5... I get it that 3v3 is something new but grand arena used to be fun and now it is a pain in the ****... why change something that wasn’t broken??

Well, it takes away from mundane.
    Gives me the opportunity to do some interesting new things with my CLS arena team. I never would've thought I'd be breaking them up into 3 teams. Sure enough though:
    CLS (R6) Old Ben Zeb
    ROLO Han (R7) Chew (R6)
    Ackbar R2D2 (R7) C3PO
    are really hard walls to cross 2/3 for most of the DR and Revan owners I'm coming across. Apparently it is easier for me to break up my Revan less roster than those with Revans.

So it's fun. Also
    Jawas still beat all Geos I've faces that are significantly more geared AND
    Jawas are beating every Dooku led or Nute led team I face. Nebit JE JS gets me past that wall.

So yeah, fun for me.
  • Options
    Kathor wrote: »
    What is the reasoning behind making Grand Arena in a 3v3 format?
    To separate the Generals from the Jawas.
  • Options
    Ereshkigal wrote: »
    That doesn't say much, though. Without seeing the rest it might as well just be a single concentrated zone. 4 (not even) meta quality teams out of 10/11 is nothing game breaking.
  • Options
    I too thought it was an awful idea; until I went 5-0 and only need to win 2 more to get kyber. Now I think 3v3 should be the default mode.

Ha, that’s it isn’t it? I always assume the salty ones are 0-5.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Options
    Ereshkigal wrote: »
    That doesn't say much, though. Without seeing the rest it might as well just be a single concentrated zone. 4 (not even) meta quality teams out of 10/11 is nothing game breaking.

Super fun having to take out relic’d arc trooper dbwlh0adpjdc.png

• Options
    3V3 is infuriating. I spent the last 4 weeks getting my squads ready for action then I get to spend a month not getting to use them. Thanks. Should offer a choice at the beginning of GAC to go into 3v3 or 5v5. Then the junk pitchers can have fun and everyone else can play how they tuned their rosters.
  • Options
    GIJippo wrote: »
    3V3 is infuriating. I spent the last 4 weeks getting my squads ready for action then I get to spend a month not getting to use them. Thanks. Should offer a choice at the beginning of GAC to go into 3v3 or 5v5. Then the junk pitchers can have fun and everyone else can play how they tuned their rosters.
    3v3 is invigorating. I've spent the last year rebalancing and growing my roster and my skills to be ready for whatever challenges the next GA/GAC has to offer. So far I've made Kyber every GAC and I'm on track to do it again despite a new division, readapting to 3v3 and a roster that has grown more top heavy drawing tougher opponents.

- A Junk Pitcher
  • Options

So your roster is so good you can’t win 3v3?
  • Options

Not sure where I said I couldn't win 3v3. Where did I say that? Or are you just trolling?

• Options

Not sure where I said I couldn't win 3v3. Where did I say that? Or are you just trolling?

No, I just don’t understand why you don’t get to use your squads you worked so hard on. And if you’re not getting to use your squads, then you’re not winning anything.
  • Options
    I'll admit I get frustrated with it sometimes too, but it's probably better to have a bit of variety than to just bang out the same format every time.

u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    3V3 is infuriating. I spent the last 4 weeks getting my squads ready for action then I get to spend a month not getting to use them. Thanks.

Dang, they turned raids, tb, tw, and arena into 3v3, too? No wonder you're mad. That's a big change.
  • Options
    The point is diversity
  • Options
    3v3 fleshes out game play: there are so many characters with leader abilities that do not get a chance to be used.

I enjoy going away from the standard cookie cutter 5v5 teams we see all the time.
  • Options

No, I just don’t understand why you don’t get to use your squads you worked so hard on. And if you’re not getting to use your squads, then you’re not winning anything.

Dump gear into Sith E Trooper, then, because of how my roster happens to be, he has no real useful place for an entire month in GAC. Not using Sith E Trooper, still winning! But winning isn't really my point.
  • Options
    I'm happy with it - my DR team in Division 8 is kind of unstoppable...
  • Options

Dump gear into Sith E Trooper, then, because of how my roster happens to be, he has no real useful place for an entire month in GAC. Not using Sith E Trooper, still winning! But winning isn't really my point.

Look at this way. While that may be true, it also frees up other toons to use in creative ways. Take Traya, her team was literally designed for 3v3, it's in the team's name even. The other two random Sith, maybe even your SET, can be paired with zMaul, who has no use outside of 3v3 anymore. Bounty hunters are another example, almost every BH has a leader ability but in 5v5 you're only going to see Bossk or Jango. In 3v3 Jango goes great with Nute lead, so that opens up using a Bossk led team and another BH led team nobody has ever fought before, like Embo. These are just a few examples.
  • Options

Look at this way. While that may be true, it also frees up other toons to use in creative ways. Take Traya, her team was literally designed for 3v3, it's in the team's name even. The other two random Sith, maybe even your SET, can be paired with zMaul, who has no use outside of 3v3 anymore. Bounty hunters are another example, almost every BH has a leader ability but in 5v5 you're only going to see Bossk or Jango. In 3v3 Jango goes great with Nute lead, so that opens up using a Bossk led team and another BH led team nobody has ever fought before, like Embo. These are just a few examples.

I'm not looking at it that way. I'm looking at it the way I initially laid out. I have no problem being functional. I have a problem LIKING it. ??