Fix the join for GAC

Replies

• TVF
    36746 posts Member
    Options
    Monomer wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    I have occasionally messed up in arena by not switching back to a team because it's muscle memory to just pick an opponent and then hit battle. It should not be muscle memory to go into the join screen and hit join, whatsoever. If you aren't ready to join, don't go into the join screen, which you have to do by either hitting the notification icon on the right or scrolling to the left. Just don't do it until you're ready, problem solved.

Anecdotal

You're using it wrong.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Monomer
    139 posts Member
    Options
    Monomer wrote: »
    I have occasionally messed up in arena by not switching back to a team because it's muscle memory to just pick an opponent and then hit battle. It should not be muscle memory to go into the join screen and hit join, whatsoever. If you aren't ready to join, don't go into the join screen, which you have to do by either hitting the notification icon on the right or scrolling to the left. Just don't do it until you're ready, problem solved.

Anecdotal

You're using it wrong.

efqvbk4ndc0b.png

• TVF
    36746 posts Member
    Options
    Don't hit that K until you have your mods sorted!
  • Options
    Why do people not want a confirmation button?
    It helps those that might join by accident and has no effect on anyone else.
    It's not particularly difficult to code either.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Overboss wrote: »

someone has said they don't want a confirmation button? I think they are just saying this issue has been around a while and people should be aware. I think we should get a confirmation button, but in the mean time I'm going to be careful
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    or is it
  • Options
    For the millionth time. Pay more attention. Like seriously, how hard is it NOT to press a button? It's an annoying design, I agree, but it's been like that for months already so everyone should know by now to be very careful.

Ah yes, the UI isn't great and leads to User Error = blame the user. I hope you aren't in Product Management or UI/UX Design.

• TVF
    36746 posts Member
    Options
    For the millionth time. Pay more attention. Like seriously, how hard is it NOT to press a button? It's an annoying design, I agree, but it's been like that for months already so everyone should know by now to be very careful.

Ah yes, the UI isn't great and leads to User Error = blame the user. I hope you aren't in Product Management or UI/UX Design.

Both can be blamed.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    ZAP wrote: »

Both can be blamed.

As someone who worked in software development and UI design and heuristics, I can safely say this is an easy and fix and should have been rolled out in a patch long ago. There is no excuse to keep that UI as it is.
    As someone who claims to have worked in software development you should know better than to make such claims about a code base you do not know.
  • Piewalker
    200 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Ltswb1 wrote: »
    I’m the latest casualty of this stupid design. Moved a bunch of mods to do the ridiculously hard assault battles. Afterwards I was bored and looking around the game for something to do, and accidentally hit the join button on GAC. Now I’m locked into the entire next round with several of my best toons having ZERO mods on them. Thanks CG. We’ve asked many times. Please fix this. All you have to do is have it pop up a “are you sure” text box. That can’t be that hard.

Ps, and before all the negative know it alls chime in, yes, I know it was my fault. It was an accident when I wasn’t paying attention. I shouldn’t be punished for an entire round for one accidental button push.

Owning the mistake and just asking for a very minor QOL change - an “are you sure” text box to prevent It for them and others in future...and that gets jumped on. Harsh.
  • BobcatSkywalker
    2194 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    No second chances... if you hit join accidentally it should just delete your game. Nah maybe that's too much but still ... something very very bad should happen

That's like being a 1970s paratrooper and hitting eject in the middle of the Pacific Ocean instead of over Vietnam.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Both can be blamed.

As someone who worked in software development and UI design and heuristics, I can safely say this is an easy and fix and should have been rolled out in a patch long ago. There is no excuse to keep that UI as it is.
    As someone who claims to have worked in software development you should know better than to make such claims about a code base you do not know.

Incorrect.

Changing the text on the timer button is about the easiest thing they could do and that’s indisputable.

Adding a confirmation pop up to the join button is also an easy task, there are dozens of examples of that already in game.

This is cakewalk stuff compared to a lot of other things they have to do and I’m positive of that, 100%.
    1) You did not specify that those were the particular solutions you had in mind
    2) They are at best partial mitigations not full solutions
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    TheRHOMBUS wrote: »
    The game says “time till roster lock”

Doesn't it say "Player Lock"?
  • TVF
    36746 posts Member
    Options
    Liath wrote: »

Don’t know. Don’t care. CG certainly doesn’t.

I mean, if you don't care what it says....
  • Options

It’s muscle memory to go into the previous grand arena battle and review the match for various reasons. A part of the problem is that reviewing the previous match and joining the next match are the same process. It’s not as simple as don’t go to the join screen if you aren’t joining, because people go there for many other reasons.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Liath wrote: »

Don’t know. Don’t care. CG certainly doesn’t.

Quotes something to make a point. Doesn't actually know or care if the quote is accurate. Definitely checks out.
  • LSR
    2 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Well I had all my mods set and had done some upgrades to some toons HOURS BEFORE joining this GAC, and now I go in to set my defenses and find that a toon that I promoted to relic 5 is now only g12, and my mods are all wrong.

It took a snapshot of my account neither at the time I joined , nor at the time of “lock in”.
  • TVF
    36746 posts Member
    Options

It’s muscle memory to go into the previous grand arena battle and review the match for various reasons. A part of the problem is that reviewing the previous match and joining the next match are the same process. It’s not as simple as don’t go to the join screen if you aren’t joining, because people go there for many other reasons.

This is in no way comparable to arena, where you almost always do a double tap (pick opp and battle) 5-10 times a day. This is once every 48 hours, if you are even there to review a match and not to look at feats, which is in a different location on the screen. No comparison.
  • Options

This is in no way comparable to arena, where you almost always do a double tap (pick opp and battle) 5-10 times a day. This is once every 48 hours, if you are even there to review a match and not to look at feats, which is in a different location on the screen. No comparison.

Once every 48 hours? What are you talking about?
    People go into their GA matches dozens of times per match to see what's going on.
    It is an extremely fitting comparison.
  • Options
    I think regardless of whether you can blame the UI, the player, or both, this is something CG can at least help address. And since no one suffers if they add a confirmation window, it should really be a no brainer.

And, if both the player and the UI can be blamed, the difference between the two is that the UI is entirely within CG's control. If the UI is bad, it is completely a development flaw that cannot be 100% placed on the player. Yes the players make mistakes, but bad UI with easy fixes available is also poor work.
  • Monel
    2789 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Overboss wrote: »

I just don't see what difference a confirmation button would make. If you aren't ready but think you are a confirmation button makes no difference.

I dont have any problem with it, but I don't want som lame excuse from CG later saying they couldn't give us a new raid cause they gave us a confirmation button.
  • Delvorin
    139 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Why are you lecturing us?

Why would you allow such a horrible design and UI to continue? The game says “time till roster lock”.... either remove that or add a confirmation button. Shouldn’t be too hard for a company making millions.

It’s a habit to push that button. Stop being obtuse and “that guy”.

It's not about liking what the developers have done. It's about getting it through everyone's thick skull that they aren't going to change it no matter how much we complain. If the point of all these posts and replies is to vent, then go right ahead. At least admit that it's purely for venting because you're not going to change anything. We'd all love it if CG changed how joining GA works and gave us a confirmation menu or a leave menu. Heck, this stems from locking players right at join so it's not functioning as originally intended at all. There have been so many of these types of posts and CG doesn't do anything. So at least acknowledge you're here to vent and complain knowing what you say doesn't matter and won't change a thing.