Is the community going crazy? ... and thanks for JKL, looking forward to it

Replies

• TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options
    AlexanderG wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    I'm pleasantly surprised to see there's still some rational thinkers on the forum.

It's not for you to decide what is or isn't rational. That's the area of opinion. Not fact.

Too bad I never claimed my opinion was fact.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I'm pleasantly surprised to see there's still some rational thinkers on the forum.

It's not for you to decide what is or isn't rational. That's the area of opinion. Not fact.

You claimed what you thought was rational. I assume was that based on your own conclusions about what is factual.
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options

You claimed what you thought was rational. I assume was that based on your own conclusions about what is factual.

I have opinions on what I think is rational, and in my opinion rational posters are in short supply here.

Good chat.
  • Options

I have opinions on what I think is rational, and in my opinion rational posters are in short supply here.

Good chat.

Not really. It's you that likes to trot out the "subjective" argument - as if you've stumbled upon some amazing Socratic discourse. You are being entirely subjective. No one cares about your subjective option.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Ruprecht wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I agree with OP.
    Ahnald was caught account sharing and that account was banned rightly so.
    Don't get me wrong, I like his videos and he's a funny guy but he's in the wrong here
    And suddenly shining light on them letting cheaters back in the game was just a low blow
    He lost all my respect for him by doing so.
    C'mon you got caught now deal with it like a man.
    But calling out to the community so that they hate CG even more is so childish, it's ridiculous.
    You don't have to use someone else's mega account anyway, just make videos with normal accounts. I prefer such videos anyway, because most of us can relate to them.
    That's being said, of course I want cheaters to be punished.
    I hope they're doing it usually and since I don't know the specifics about that case, I give them the benefit of the doubt.
    As to the new Luke, I don't care much about Luke the self proclaimed Jedi anyway.
    But they already announced a big character arriving before the Ahnald situation.
    I just don't see the connection to "Empire Strikes Back" and the celebration.
    I'm still waiting for content for that movie.
    Oh and as for new content and road aheads in general, yeah I'd like to get that but nowadays nothing is normal and it might have to do with the virus situation, who knows.
    But maybe they're just lazy, that's possible, too.
    We won't know until they start communicating again, they're lacking at this indeed.

Fight fire with fire, it's a good thing he shined the light on how they deal with cheaters, I couldn't give 2 shites about what happened to his account, but I'm glad he exposed CG corruption

It would be nice if he shared the whole story, but then it wouldnt be as effective towards his purpose.

Exactly what I meant, we don't know the specifics of that case.
    Only that he was allowed back into the game.

It also seems like this was not the whole conversation....

We know it was months later, and not a week.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with OP.
    Don't get me wrong, I like his videos and he's a funny guy but he's in the wrong here
    And suddenly shining light on them letting cheaters back in the game was just a low blow
    But calling out to the community so that they hate CG even more is so childish, it's ridiculous.
    You don't have to use someone else's mega account anyway, just make videos with normal accounts. I prefer such videos anyway, because most of us can relate to them.
    I hope they're doing it usually and since I don't know the specifics about that case, I give them the benefit of the doubt.
    As to the new Luke, I don't care much about Luke the self proclaimed Jedi anyway.
    But they already announced a big character arriving before the Ahnald situation.
    Oh and as for new content and road aheads in general, yeah I'd like to get that but nowadays nothing is normal and it might have to do with the virus situation, who knows.
    We won't know until they start communicating again, they're lacking at this indeed.

Fight fire with fire, it's a good thing he shined the light on how they deal with cheaters, I couldn't give 2 shites about what happened to his account, but I'm glad he exposed CG corruption

It would be nice if he shared the whole story, but then it wouldnt be as effective towards his purpose.

Im sorry... but did the first part of the story happen.

Becsuse if so.... CG has a lot of explaining to do. That is totally not how you do a 0 tollerance for cheating.

CG gets to own that and explain it.

Is it childish of ahnald to show it.... probably. Does that matter??? No it doesnt.

What matters is CG tried to let a cheater stay in the game becuase of his "good standing". That is a problem that undermines the integrity of the game.

Thats needs to be explained.

Releasing jedi luke is great the puzzle is great... but the timing is terrible. They ignored this for a week.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    I agree with OP.

Becsuse if so.... CG has a lot of explaining to do. That is totally not how you do a 0 tollerance for cheating.

Is it childish of ahnald to show it.... probably. Does that matter??? No it doesnt.

What matters is CG tried to let a cheater stay in the game becuase of his "good standing". That is a problem that undermines the integrity of the game.

Releasing jedi luke is great the puzzle is great... but the timing is terrible. They ignored this for a week.

I agree, they should make a statement or communicate about this.

Not sure where childish came from.

There is more to it than that, and that probably should have been shared when the initial part was.
  • Devampedshadow
    2 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Darion wrote: »

You know I hadn't really considered the position but yeah @Bulldog1205 posted his video on the bans nearly a month before and he didn't bring it up... He did wait till he was personally attacked to post his cheating video

Ya know, I get this logic. And I can see why people think it was in poor taste and a bad choice to bring up and highlight the cheating while talking about the account that got banned. However, I challenge you to look at it from a different perspective.

Up to this point, the evidence that we saw is that they are communicating with cheaters. That much is a given. That much is entirely understandable and is something we should be outraged about. The problem is though, and the reason why I think Ahnald brought it up, is not necessarily to bring a bunch of 'new' information to light (though I imagine it was a lot of new information for a lot of the community depending on their level of involvement in things outside of the game) but to highlight the major difference in how the situations are handled.

On one hand we have someone who based on what we know was a confirmed cheater who had some 'bad battles' as it was put. The fact that they were given agency to choose when their punishment was started is an issue. As well as the negotiation in the first place. Especially after their post in October that indicated that they had a zero tolerance policy for cheating. If we also look at the example brought up by the Krakens in CubsFanHans videos talking about the people who scammed CG out of money by using a VPN to change their location to buy vaults for $20 USD instead of $100 (forgive me for paraphrasing here) and their punishment was having their accounts rolled back and being given the agency of choosing which characters are removed from the account.

On the other hand we have Ahnald who was violating the ToS by using an account that was gifted to him and was banned out right without any discussion, negotiation, or anything further.

Given the stark differences in how the situations are handled, this was why I think Ahnald brought up the cheaters to highlight those differences.

Ahnald violated ToS. I know that. He knows that. Everyone knows that and we all can agree on that point. He's not even asking for the account to be unbanned. Some people are just asking for that because they think its the 'right move'. His opinion (that he has shared) is that we need better communication and consistency from the company who has been essentially promising these things in one way or another and not delivering.

For the record, I think a lot of people are taking this stuff way to far and escalating this to an unnecessary degree but this seems to be the brass tax basics.
  • Options
    Fully agreed.
    I play this game for fun, I could care less about some stuck up, reactionary vlogger who's only interested in revenue.
    Can't wait for Jedi Luke, and whatever comes next. So long as I'm having fun, I'll keep playing :))
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    I agree with OP.

I agree, they should make a statement or communicate about this.

Not sure where childish came from.

There is more to it than that, and that probably should have been shared when the initial part was.

Thats where we differ on this one. I dont believe the inital part should have ever happened. CG never should be negotiating with cheaters.

That in and of itself is serious.

People pay money to compete in this game with the latest characters at the top levels. The expectation is that CG protects the integrity of the game so that the money spent is where the advantage comes from.

When it comes to light that a cheater with "good standing" is given a pass for however long, it utterly destroys the faith you have in CG and the integritty of the user experience.

Confidence in their ability to police the game is shaken to its core and for that they owe explanation and assurances. Additionally, they have proven they cant be trusted in what they say, so there needs to be transparency and a lot of damage control.

Instead we get silence for a week and then lets drop jedi luke last minute on a friday.

Perhaps Jedi Luke was always planned for friday. Maybe it wasnt... the problem is they let the game integrity be broken for a week and then dropped it like nothing happened.

That is not good.

On top of that, there number 1 competitor foxnext decided to weigh in on cheating as a direct response to what they saw occuring in this game.

CG should never have let that happen without them having made a statement first.
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with the original message.

And as far as influencing the course of the game, it seems to me that the quietly opinionated manners of the OP @Basti4SWGOH were far more successful than the whole Stir-the-nest AhnaldtGate scandal way:

Bastila in the game: 2 - Unbanned account: 0.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Options
    I think we can all agree that CG’s communication could be better. That’s a given.

Yet so many people of the people have been clamoring for a Jedi Luke to be in the game back when he was part of the load screen. Now that’s he’s announced, there’s probably a lot of those same people complaining that he’s coming. I’m excited he’s coming. We shall see on Monday how that event will roll out.

Yes it’s been slow event wise. Yes character releases and a new raid have been slow or cancelling/postponed. COVID has affected everything so yes things in the game itself will be slower.

In Ahnald’s case, violating the TOS doesn’t mean you get a free pass because you make videos. Yes there are other cheaters out there I’m sure who haven’t been banned yet, but that doesn’t mean no one gets banned. And as for his videos, I’d rather gouge my eyes out than see another corny plug in for the Raid Shadow Not-so-legends. 🤢🤮🤮🤮
  • Rmaxtpmx
    294 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with OP.

As opposed to your CG overlords sharing exactly nothing?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Rmaxtpmx wrote: »
    I agree with OP.

As opposed to your CG overlords sharing exactly nothing?

What info can they share regarding a ban? It's inappropriate to discuss punishment in a public setting.

Ahnald can whine and cry all he wants, since he has enough supporters who don't even hold him to the same ethical standards as they do a major corporation.
  • Spang
    286 posts Member
    Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    The thought that CG is somehow quickly releasing Luke bc of this ahnold thing is one of the more laughably insane theories the forums have come up with, and that's saying something. Hopefully the new delivery system they have been working on will be launched soon and we will have more content as well. Just lol @ the idea CG is going to kill the golden goose now, or ever, really

I agree, releasing JKL because of Ahnaldgate is a ridiculous theory.

Though I think you miss one point in your comment. It's not really up to CG to kill the golden goose now, or ever. It's up to EA, or ultimately Disney. Given the fact that there's a new SW mobile game coming, they can easily ditch this game after all the negativity around it in the last year. They know they can attract fans to the new game, and the fans will spend an insane amount of money in it. Especially, if we take into account that the new game has no such bad PR as this game.
  • Options
    For some reason people concentrating on the wrong thing. It's not about Ahnald and his account. His account banned for legit reasons and should stay banned.

The problem here is silence from CG. For the past weeks (hell maybe even months) we asked so many questions and none of them were answered. It's weird from both PR and health of the game points of view why those questions were never answered.

Right now the biggest one is about cheaters. But we also don't know where the game is heading and what's going on. The game was always a cash cow, but nowadays it's the only stuff you see. You see GL scam that was hyped for months and quality of that update is abysmal. You see constant cash grabs and packs instead of new modes and content.

I personally want some answers. Yes, some of the questions are quite controversial, but they need to be answered anyhow. Right now it feels like CG actually dropped the ball on the game and they don't really care about its future. They answer useless questions on QnA instead of answering tough ones. They silence about all the rage and don't push any statements whatsoever.

I suspect that most of the rage about luke comes not from character release. It's just the worst timing to do it. Instead of dropping some news about game changes, new mods, or a statement about cheating and Ahnald's accusations of preferential treatment of cheaters we get another cash grab in the middle of the shitstorm.
  • nurm
    107 posts Member
    Options
    In my opinion the community is in that way upset because nobody is reacting to this case. Maybe this is ok for CG because they just see a TOS broken case and for them it is done. But this is not a common case. Maybe they also did not expect that reaction but they completey ignored eveybody here including their Number 1 youtuber.
    I guess that the start of the Luke puzzle was already planned for this weekend - on the fathers' day and the Ahnand case was just an interception. But why - and this is what I still does not get into my mind - do they throw away all their good work just for this (stupid but valid) ban? They loose so much momentum for this event - probably also money of less buying.

According to the topic, I would not say that the community is upset - maybe a part of it and I would not say that the members of the forum represent all the players.
  • Options
    Is the community crazy... or is CG just lazy?

Which is a bigger concern - CG’s treatment of the game or how the community is reacting to CG’s apparent lack of excellence for this game?

We are not crazy. Ahnald, myself, Cubs, MobileGamer, etc. deal with multiple studios. It is clear when one sticks out for good or bad reasons. Keeping this all business here, CG stands out for their lack of consistent communication, lack of response to the community and lack of timely bug fixes. Far less popular and less profitable games do far better than CG in these categories.

I have nothing personally against this studio or their employees nor do any of the Content Creators I have met in person and have gotten to know (names above but not limited to that trio). We want the game to be great. Period. If you think the game is great right now go ahead and happily play on.
  • Options
    nurm wrote: »
    In my opinion the community is in that way upset because nobody is reacting to this case. Maybe this is ok for CG because they just see a TOS broken case and for them it is done. But this is not a common case. Maybe they also did not expect that reaction but they completey ignored eveybody here including their Number 1 youtuber.
    I guess that the start of the Luke puzzle was already planned for this weekend - on the fathers' day and the Ahnand case was just an interception. But why - and this is what I still does not get into my mind - do they throw away all their good work just for this (stupid but valid) ban? They loose so much momentum for this event - probably also money of less buying.

According to the topic, I would not say that the community is upset - maybe a part of it and I would not say that the members of the forum represent all the players.

I suspect the reason for the Ahnold ban was just an application of policy. As I recall their policy is that they don't go looking for account-transfer violations, but if one comes to their attention then they'll take action on it. Ahnold raised a ticket for that account's localisation so he 'fessed himself up by accident (or maybe thinking himself too important to be punished).

There's a simple reason for CG's current silence that nobody in this thread seems to have considered. CG are part of a much larger company (EA). EA are operating under licence to much larger company still (Disney). The corporate world being what it is, it's entirely possible that CG's PR people asked the CG bosses what they should say right now, and they said "we need to talk to EA". EA - still shaken by the bad PR from Battlefront 2's shady monetisation - don't want to make Disney angry with another shady monetisation scandal so they put in on their list of "things to talk to Disney about". But it's at the bottom of the list because they hope it's all going to blow over by itself and they don't have to talk to Disney about it after all.
    TL;DR everybody in the CG/EA/Disney chain of responsibility wants somebody else to make a decision because nobody wants it to blow up in their own face.
  • Options

Me too...
  • Spang
    286 posts Member
    Options
    There's a simple reason for CG's current silence that nobody in this thread seems to have considered. CG are part of a much larger company (EA). EA are operating under licence to much larger company still (Disney). The corporate world being what it is, it's entirely possible that CG's PR people asked the CG bosses what they should say right now, and they said "we need to talk to EA". EA - still shaken by the bad PR from Battlefront 2's shady monetisation - don't want to make Disney angry with another shady monetisation scandal so they put in on their list of "things to talk to Disney about". But it's at the bottom of the list because they hope it's all going to blow over by itself and they don't have to talk to Disney about it after all.
    TL;DR everybody in the CG/EA/Disney chain of responsibility wants somebody else to make a decision because nobody wants it to blow up in their own face.

I agree. Though it's cute that you think there're PR people at CG. One would think if they have PR people, they would have appeared in front of the community at least a few times in the past year. :)

• Options
    ZAP wrote: »
    I agree with OP.

It would be nice if you shared the whole story as well 😉

I have to hit into this too. At least Ahnald shares Information, you guys at CG are just silent and speak squat with the community.
    Carrie leaving was the worst and her replacement as a community manager posted ONE post introducing himself and thats it. As a community manager. Makes me laugh. Throwing out JKL after the whole thing goes southways does just look like a diversion from existing problems. The timing was totally bad if this was not a kneejerk reaction to the community and cheating issues.
    I have been playing for 4.5 years and as many other youtubers said:
    It is absolutely unbelieveble how a Gaming Company can misuse and just abuse the players so hard. Unheard of other games.
    Seriuosly CG, you are not living in a bubble. You produce games for gamers but that is not how you see things as it seems. Beginning with you trying to forbid Yiutubers to stream other games over citing and threatening the tubers with a nonexistent contract and so on.
    So, yes, please, begin talking and present your side of the story, I would love to hear it to have a real overview of all this.

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    The problems I have with the whole "negotiating with cheaters" argument are:
    1. All information is 3rd hand and/or from screenshots. We all know how things can be distorted or faked, yet the "evidence" is being held up as sacrosanct.
    2. If the screenshots *are* legitimate - when are they from? Did CG revise their policy since then? Maybe earlier they did negotiate with cheaters, yet now they have a 0 tolerance policy.

The community rage comes from a lot of unknowns and uncertainty, yet people act like they have perfect knowledge of the situations.

Let's not forget that Ahnald makes a lot of money from views, and stirring community anger draws more views. Can't blame the guy for trying to earn more money, but the likelihood that he's telling 100% of the story seems slim.
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options
    jkray622 wrote: »
    The community rage comes from a lot of unknowns and uncertainty, yet people act like they have perfect knowledge of the situations.

I wish this sentence could be pinned to the top of every page here. Maybe I'll add it to my sig.
  • Options
    Probably not making many friends with this at the moment, but no, i wont follow the community rant on the AhnaldT topic and definitely not on the "JKL" critics.

First, and I am fully honest on this - I play the game because I have fun playing this game.
    If I don't have fun anymore playing the game, I will stop playing the game. Simple as that.
    I definitely do not play this game because some "content creator" put videos on youtube about a game.
    And I do not care about the "AhnaldT101" issue. If he was using a shared account which he never officially owned, ok, bad move maybe by him ..
    I don't care if he gets back this account or not .. not my cup of tea, they can and should sort this out 1:1..

From my POV he tends to demand to much "power" and influence and SWGOH and is getting a bit too cocky on a game he
    - does not owe, develop, nor is he in any means an employee of CG. In which galaxy should he receive an official apology .. for what.. using a shared account which was officially never his? come on....

Having said that, I am not happy in all aspects of the game, and communication and especially roadmap development should be vastly improved, and yes cheating should be a RED LINE .. always CG!

But what really does not get into my mind .. they finally announce JKL .. and people start getting crazy: "this is the end of SWGOH", boycott JKL, Community is ignored, game is dying .. etc.

I personally looking forward to finally seeing JKL entering the game after all this years.. and I AM HAPPY About this.
    THX for this!

Well said my friend. I like AhnaldT and the rest of these guys who make videos, and profit from it, but don't tell me that I need to strike and stop playing the game. I love this game and besides controlling the cheaters in this game I think the Devs are trying. They don't want to respond back because these guys scrutinize everthing they do and say. We should be happy that they are bring JKL to the game and I don't think for a sec that this is the end of the game. We all have the right to say what we want, but IMO they **** off the devs and that's why they took their test accounts away and stop communicating with them. We should all stop being told what to do like drones and play the game for what it is. If you don't like it then quit.
  • Options
    Quantum920 wrote: »
    Probably not making many friends with this at the moment, but no, i wont follow the community rant on the AhnaldT topic and definitely not on the "JKL" critics.

First, and I am fully honest on this - I play the game because I have fun playing this game.
    If I don't have fun anymore playing the game, I will stop playing the game. Simple as that.
    I definitely do not play this game because some "content creator" put videos on youtube about a game.
    And I do not care about the "AhnaldT101" issue. If he was using a shared account which he never officially owned, ok, bad move maybe by him ..
    I don't care if he gets back this account or not .. not my cup of tea, they can and should sort this out 1:1..

From my POV he tends to demand to much "power" and influence and SWGOH and is getting a bit too cocky on a game he
    - does not owe, develop, nor is he in any means an employee of CG. In which galaxy should he receive an official apology .. for what.. using a shared account which was officially never his? come on....

Having said that, I am not happy in all aspects of the game, and communication and especially roadmap development should be vastly improved, and yes cheating should be a RED LINE .. always CG!

But what really does not get into my mind .. they finally announce JKL .. and people start getting crazy: "this is the end of SWGOH", boycott JKL, Community is ignored, game is dying .. etc.

I personally looking forward to finally seeing JKL entering the game after all this years.. and I AM HAPPY About this.
    THX for this!

Well said my friend. I like AhnaldT and the rest of these guys who make videos, and profit from it, but don't tell me that I need to strike and stop playing the game. I love this game and besides controlling the cheaters in this game I think the Devs are trying. They don't want to respond back because these guys scrutinize everthing they do and say. We should be happy that they are bring JKL to the game and I don't think for a sec that this is the end of the game. We all have the right to say what we want, but IMO they **** off the devs and that's why they took their test accounts away and stop communicating with them. We should all stop being told what to do like drones and play the game for what it is. If you don't like it then quit.

No Youtuber ever said : You must play like this and that. They criticise points in the game that concern all of us. Every game out there has streamer or something similar who point out the good, bad and ugly.
    If criticism is not allowed and results in eliminating the Gamechanger program ( as only company assotiated with EA btw.)
    So now it just exactly is happening what you did not want : you play this game like a drone after the will of CG because they try to shut down every little bit of criticism which could improve the game. Something like PvP.
    And yes, I do not have to play this game and tbh I am only still playing because of my guild and the real great community that is SW. That makes it even hurt more to see how such a community is just abused and exploited.

And regarding the screenshots:
    If they were fake CG would already have posted a denial the length of my arm. Their silence in all of this is not only really bad PR but they make themselves look guilty.

• Options
    I think we all like the new Luke...

We just don't like that this
    Scheduled Update: 6/15/2020 actually means this ££££££££££££££££££££££££££
    This is the Way
  • Options
    Isaacimov wrote: »

THX for this!

No Youtuber ever said : You must play like this and that. They criticise points in the game that concern all of us. Every game out there has streamer or something similar who point out the good, bad and ugly.
    If criticism is not allowed and results in eliminating the Gamechanger program ( as only company assotiated with EA btw.)
    So now it just exactly is happening what you did not want : you play this game like a drone after the will of CG because they try to shut down every little bit of criticism which could improve the game. Something like PvP.
    And yes, I do not have to play this game and tbh I am only still playing because of my guild and the real great community that is SW. That makes it even hurt more to see how such a community is just abused and exploited.

If they were fake CG would already have posted a denial the length of my arm. Their silence in all of this is not only really bad PR but they make themselves look guilty.
    Isaacimov wrote: »

THX for this!

I think Ahnald and the game changers are doing a great job delivering the new content, but when you violate the terms of agreement they are telling everyone that’s it’s ok to do so and when they get banned for it they blow up. When Warrior put out a video showing everyone how to cheat he’s giving them the information on how to do it and now we have more cheaters in the game. This is where the problem lies, not the criticism or how to make the game better because to me that’s their right to do so and i support that. All I am saying is open your eyes and see it for what it is and not what they are telling you. It sounds to me that they can convince you that a banana is purple and you’ll believe them. Anyone with half a brain can see this.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Ahnald makes money if people watch his videos. Drama draws people in. Ergo, Ahnald has extreme financial incentive to incite drama.

Bulldog got banned for breaking the TOS. The devs held Ahnald to the same standard regarding account transfers. Could you imagine the reaction if they banned one creator yet let another get away with the same offense?

And in terms of whether or not the screenshots are fake, if I were in charge of CG communication, I wouldn’t let any devs comment on it either way. As the old adage goes - “don’t feed the trolls.”