jKL shouldn’t be a GL...he wasn’t that good...

Replies

• joelgs23
    251 posts Member
    Options
    "legend" does not mean good, better or best... it has nothing to do with quality.... "legend" literally means historical story but often unproven. So, who has a bigger galactic legendary status? Luke Skywalker or Rey? Think popularity contest across the galaxy? :) Hint, it's not Rey.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    InvMars wrote: »
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Episode 1 - Shows Senator Palpatines rise to power
    Episode 2 - Shows Supreme Chancellor Palpatine manipulating both sides into war
    Episode 3 - Shows Emperor Palpatine end the “war” he created and take his place as the most powerful person in the galaxy.

Without Palpatine there is no saga. He is the saga. He set forth everything. He was the ultimate puppet master and ruled over everyone. He was the Sith Master and everyone was beneath him. The saga was Palpatines all along as weird as it was.

Right. They could have just left that anakin guy out of it completely.

his granddaughter is the one who bring balance to the force by taking over skywalker name

Yeah, so if it's all about palpatine, explain why the entire 9 movie series is concluded with her calling herself Skywalker...
  • Damon_Skye
    82 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    He might not have had all the refined skills another Jedi would have had having been trained from childhood, but he was certainly very talented having been trained by the best, but most importantly, by far the bravest. Imagine being in that situation where it's all on your shoulders after his chats with Yoda and Obi-Wan. He voluntarily surrenders himself on Endor to trigger the confrontation with the 2 most powerful people in the universe.

He is always on the defense against Vader as he doesn't want to fight him and holds his own. Until that point where he has been goaded enough to lose control for a bit. But overall, his courage (along with seeing him in pain), triggers Vader to finally do what he was "Chosen" for and end the Sith.
    Don't get me started on the Sequel Trilogy ruining that achievement.

On top of that, we get a glimpse of his skills (as the son of the chosen one), at the 30 minute mark with him pretty much taking down Jabba's whole set up on his own whilst his friends do their best to keep themselves alive / escape from the sail barge. Love that sequence!
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    Options
    Coming up with reasons why things woukd happen in certain ways is silly tbh.

Rey would beat Luke because that's just how she's written, she overcomes whats in front of her because her character can't really be seen to stumble or have faults, thats just the way she is, so she'd win.

No, the original 6 movies are absolutely not about Palpatine, he's in them enough to build him into the emperor as a bacground character and then the big bad. He isn't more than that. It isn't about him, to actually make that case is willfully silly.

The sequels there's a case but i don't want to talk about them because that just becomes a rant about how awful everything is.

Tl;dr Rey wins because she wouldn't need a t-16 to bullseye wamprats
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Options
    Saying Luke was bad In OT is like comparing the graphic effects from the old movies with the sequels.

Im sure, if the OT was made today, he would look much stronger
  • Options
    Rey is only powerful because of trash story writing and Kathleen Kennedy.
    I have a bad feeling about this.
  • Options
    even Rey (yes Rey) would stomp him hard.

Disagree. Rey would need the help of Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson to defeat ROTJ Luke.

And Luke would need the help of George Lucas and Darth Vader.

We can play this stupid game all day, Edge Lord.
  • Options

Disagree. Rey would need the help of Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson to defeat ROTJ Luke.

George Lucas never made Luke an unbeatable character. He made him 100% human with flaws. The same can’t be said about Rey.
  • Options

Name one time when Rey should have lost a battle and did. I can’t think of any.
    Name one time when Luke should have lost a battle. Vs Palpatine.
    Rey has 0 flaws. That is not normal, that is horrible writing.
    I have a bad feeling about this.
  • Options
    Everyone is comparing the chars like they were all created at same time and point in the story development. I find this absolutely hilarious. Luke was created 38 years before Rey was and back in a time when the whole idea of force powers and what might be possible was still being developed. Then on top of that they had WAY more limited special effects capabilities and a whole different attitude towards lightsaber fighting thinking it should be more finesse and touch base to win than acrobatic and flashy.

To compare the chars power is absolutely laughable.
  • Options
    With my last post said you could make an argument that Luke was just as powerful but in an untrained and more instinctual way. The force has the capability to influence people. Therefore there is an argument where he instinctively influenced Han Solo to turn around and help and did use the force to guide his torpedos into the exhaust port in ANH. Then again not only was it the emotional appeal of seeing his son being ruthlessly attacked but an instinctual focus of force that broke through to reach his father and gain his help with defeating the Emperor.
  • Options
    Potato211 wrote: »
    Brotherius wrote: »
    If we are talking Luke in RotJ —> he was JedI Knight levels of power...
    GMY, Anakin, General Kenobi and even Rey (yes Rey) would stomp him hard.
    I’m hoping he’s a Heroes Journey accessible character that helps us build anti-meta teams to contest with GLs.
    Power wise - less powerful than GAS/GLs.....

Legends Luke or even Hermit Luke now they should be GLs.

I agree with your other unpopular opinion though, Rey is supposedly the strongest of all time by the end of RoS so yes...she would stomp everyone.

I can't lol hard enough at this. Rey is everything that is considered a "Bad charachter" and crappy writing.

Lol I’m not saying it was good story writing or not, but is it not the case at the end of RoS?
  • GIJippo
    107 posts Member
    Options
    Tezza23 wrote: »
    Thought they said GL was just a influential figure of Star Wars and they would be based at the height of their power.

So saving a rebel princess, destroying a Death Star , converting a Sith Lord to a Jedi and helping destroy the sith (sequels do not exist therefore isint cannon) means is very dam important and would be worthy of GL title , but he’s gonna be a hero so it doesn’t matter anyway.

Luke needed his daddy to defeat Palp for him though. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    They literally use the term “legend” in reference to Luke in both TFA and Last Jedi. Heck they even have little kids playing with a luke doll at the end of tlj. That’s a legend lol
  • Options
    And yes the doll was made after he ghosted (pun intended) the first order, but he was a legend because of what he did in RotJ. If the movies say he’s a legend it’s not really up to us to claim he’s not
  • Options

Name one time when Rey should have lost a battle and did. I can’t think of any.
    Name one time when Luke should have lost a battle. Vs Palpatine.
    Rey has 0 flaws. That is not normal, that is horrible writing.

Exactly. Rey was a Disney princess who was never really in danger throughout the whole trilogy.

When Luke faces Vader in Empire, you feel he is clearly outmatched. He holds his own but the viewer can tell Vader isn’t going for the kill and is simply toying with him. Our hero is completely outmatched and overpowered by the villain.

Even in ROTJ, Luke is still outmatched by both Vader and Palpatine. You can feel the sense of dread and danger during the throne room scenes.

With Rey, I never really felt a sense of her being outmatched. I think a lot of that is the terrible outcome of the dual in Force Awakens. Rey should have been dominated in Force Awakens but hey...girl power right?

Rey is a poorly written character who really doesn’t show her humanity. The attempted a feeble story arch with her being a palpatine but anyone with a brain could feel that was tacked on and not thought out. There was no clear internal struggle with Rey. Her struggle was simply wanting to know who her mommy and daddy were. No inner demons, no character flaws, no rash actions that are detrimental. She’s almost completely flawless. And I personally can’t identify with someone like that.
  • TVF
    36672 posts Member
    Options
    I agree, Rey is flawless, which is why I identify with her.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Jedi Luke is coming to the game!? I was wondering who that 14 year old boy in the art was
  • Jarvind
    3928 posts Member
    Options
    The attempted a feeble story arch with her being a palpatine but anyone with a brain could feel that was tacked on and not thought out.

Segments of Rey's theme music are just straight-up Palpatine's theme switched to a major key. They had that planned since the first movie.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

You are the very definition of perfect oh wise one! 🤪
  • Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    The attempted a feeble story arch with her being a palpatine but anyone with a brain could feel that was tacked on and not thought out.

Segments of Rey's theme music are just straight-up Palpatine's theme switched to a major key. They had that planned since the first movie.

Dang, nice catch
  • Options
    If we are talking Luke in RotJ —> he was JedI Knight levels of power...
    GMY, Anakin, General Kenobi and even Rey (yes Rey) would stomp him hard.
    I’m hoping he’s a Heroes Journey accessible character that helps us build anti-meta teams to contest with GLs.
    Power wise - less powerful than GAS/GLs.....

Legends Luke or even Hermit Luke now they should be GLs.

rfdooxowmvvt.gif

• Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

Can’t believe you just said that :D
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    Just from the movies:
    - RotJ Luke just became a jedi knight when he faced Vader on the Death Star at the end of the movie
    - in the whole trilogy he didn't display any crazy force abilities (admittedly the OT didn't focus so much on that)
    - he's a descendant of Anakin though and has that incredibly high force potential

- Rey is a Palpatine so she's also a descendant of a bloodline that's very strong in the force
    - she displays strong force abilities right from the beginning without any training or someone teaching her how to do it (Mary Sue - sigh) and even performs a force lightning on accident
    - Luke says he's scared of her raw power (and that's coming from a Jedi Grand Master)
    So it's pretty clear that Rey is stronger than RotJ Luke when it comes to force power, lightsaber skills probably go to Luke as he defeated Vader while Rey lost to Kylo. So either it's Rey > Luke when we value force power higher than lightsaber skills or Rey = Luke when Rey gets one point for her force power and Luke one point for his lightsaber skills.
    Keep in mind - we're talking about RotJ Luke. The Grand Master Luke from legends is basically a demi god and if they would have displayed him in the Disney trilogy we would have watched Marvel phase 3 movies.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Legend91 wrote: »
    Just from the movies:
    - RotJ Luke just became a jedi knight when he faced Vader on the Death Star at the end of the movie
    - in the whole trilogy he didn't display any crazy force abilities (admittedly the OT didn't focus so much on that)
    - he's a descendant of Anakin though and has that incredibly high force potential

- Rey is a Palpatine so she's also a descendant of a bloodline that's very strong in the force
    - she displays strong force abilities right from the beginning without any training or someone teaching her how to do it (Mary Sue - sigh) and even performs a force lightning on accident
    - Luke says he's scared of her raw power (and that's coming from a Jedi Grand Master)
    So it's pretty clear that Rey is stronger than RotJ Luke when it comes to force power, lightsaber skills probably go to Luke as he defeated Vader while Rey lost to Kylo. So either it's Rey > Luke when we value force power higher than lightsaber skills or Rey = Luke when Rey gets one point for her force power and Luke one point for his lightsaber skills.
    Keep in mind - we're talking about RotJ Luke. The Grand Master Luke from legends is basically a demi god and if they would have displayed him in the Disney trilogy we would have watched Marvel phase 3 movies.

He force chocked 2 piggies :'(
  • Options
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Jppc wrote: »
    Do you really think rey or kylo could have stopped JKL (ROTJ) ?

Yes, absolutely. Back during RotJ, Luke could not fight well with his light saber and had very little Force training. He got destroyed by Palpatines lightning while Rey deflected it back to him after she was Force drained by him. Kylos skills with a lightsaber were way past Lukes in every way and so was his Force training. He got Force drained as well by Palpatine and thrown down a hole and still survived.

Sorry, but I never thought Luke was all that great. He had to have his dad win his fight for him.

Many won't like this, but I agree with this guy. Luke was not very powerful even during RotJ. He never beat Palpatine, came nowhere close. Even Yoda and Mace could only barely hold their ground against Palps who was arguably at his lightsaber-fighting peak at that time, not the shriveled old man in ep 6.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Icyjediknight
    35 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    This post really doesn’t even deserve a reply this is the **** statement ever made on this forum and there have been a lot of them. Luke before Disney cut his balls off was the most powerful Jedi of all time. I don’t even recognize Rey and Kylo as “Cannon” so could care less about them. Disney Star Wars is just pathetic and looks like it always will be.
  • KyJoe_Cool
    1873 posts Member
    Options
    Gamorrean wrote: »
    Saying Luke was bad In OT is like comparing the graphic effects from the old movies with the sequels.

Im sure, if the OT was made today, he would look much stronger
    Everyone is comparing the chars like they were all created at same time and point in the story development. I find this absolutely hilarious. Luke was created 38 years before Rey was and back in a time when the whole idea of force powers and what might be possible was still being developed. Then on top of that they had WAY more limited special effects capabilities and a whole different attitude towards lightsaber fighting thinking it should be more finesse and touch base to win than acrobatic and flashy.

To compare the chars power is absolutely laughable.

^^^ Completely agree. These guys get it.
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ