Is the mod system broken or is it just me?

Prev1
U235
23 posts Member
edited August 2020
First off let me start by saying I HATE the mod system... I find it hard to understand what is a good mod and what mods suck... When I get a mod it can have anywhere from 3 base speed secondary to 6 base speed secondary and that is mainly the only stat I pay attention to... I farm mods all the time and it is hard for me to understand what a good mod is... when I have the game auto mod my toons it does something totally off the wall and I wish I could understand the whole system better. Add to the fact that People are making programs that access the game and rearrange all your mods with the click of a button and CG is doing nothing to stop these programs or even acknowledge them. What some call a quality of life improvement, I call a ToS violation. Why can CG not make a system to help us with all this and not leave it to handing your account over to a 3rd party and have them go in and mod your toons for you... or have a program store your mod setups with one easy click of the button? I work over 70 hours a week and play this game on the go.... I don't want to spend that down time remodding characters for events then moving mods back before a GAC and TW/TB. This is less like a game and more of a job.

Replies

• Options
    How long have you been playing for?
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    I'll preface this by saying I don't particularly like mods either. Getting good ones is 100% up to RNG (yes, I know you can buy refreshes to increase your chances, before some wiseass chimes in with that), and in PVP it's very difficult to beat someone who got luckier with mods than you did. That said, they aren't going anywhere, so it behooves you to git gud at modding if you want to win.

You're right to focus mainly on speed, but those aren't the only things that make a "good" mod. Some characters don't need tons of speed, and some don't need it at all. Tanks like health/protection/defense mods. Attackers like offense/crit chance/crit damage. Supports and healers can generally take speed sets without sacrificing too much elsewhere, although do note that some heavy hitters like Grandmaster Yoda are actually tagged as "support." There are a million guides out there on how to mod, just read one or two and you should get a pretty good general idea of who wants which kinds of mods.

Lastly, what do third party mod services have to do with anything? Those aren't affecting your ability to understand how mods work.

u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    U235 wrote: »
    First off let me start by saying I HATE the mod system... I find it hard to understand what is a good mod and what mods suck... When I get a mod it can have anywhere from 3 base speed secondary to 6 base speed secondary and that is mainly the only stat I pay attention to... I farm mods all the time and it is hard for me to understand what a good mod is... when I have the game auto mod my toons it does something totally off the wall and I wish I could understand the whole system better.

It is just you. Like, really just you. Many of us remember the days before mods existed, and that ****. The ability to do something to your characters to make them better the way you want is the best thing CG ever did.

Their auto mod algorithm is garbage. The only thing good about it is the recommended secondary types it tells you to use.
  • Train
    56 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with Mephisto, don’t use the auto mod tool. The in game recommendations, particularly for the primary and secondaries, however are generally good advice.

Mod collecting is a funnel. You start out with fairly lax criteria that should get more and more specific over time. Ultimately you are looking for “aligned” mods with good stat rolls; that is to say mods where all 4-5 stats plus the set bonus fit one role (or sometimes a hybrid of two roles) and the value of the stats are toward the high end of what is possible. The more “aligned” the mod, the better it is. The better the stat rolls, the better it is.

Alignment would be difficult to set criteria for in game because of the wide variety of characters, but it should be pretty easy to show quality of stat rolls. That would be an interesting QOL update.
  • Options
    @Mephisto_style good god yes, mods make it soo much more fun. If they went back to no mods (which surely won’t happen), i’d certainly quit. Too boring, too equal.
  • Options
    Mods aren't broken, I thought I knew a lot about them until I watched this series, I took notes.
    This guy lays it out really nicely.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPKsVWqlG6E
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    I'll preface this by saying I don't particularly like mods either. Getting good ones is 100% up to RNG

Disagree!
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    I'll preface this by saying I don't particularly like mods either. Getting good ones is 100% up to RNG

Disagree!

Agree with TVF. If it were true then mine wouldn't be better than 99% of the players I face in GA
  • Options
    I'll preface this by saying I don't particularly like mods either. Getting good ones is 100% up to RNG (yes, I know you can buy refreshes to increase your chances, before some wiseass chimes in with that), and in PVP it's very difficult to beat someone who got luckier with mods than you did.
    One good mod is RNG but a well modded roster is work, farming, sifting developing and assigning to appropriate toons.
  • Hortus
    624 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    I'll preface this by saying I don't particularly like mods either. Getting good ones is 100% up to RNG (yes, I know you can buy refreshes to increase your chances, before some wiseass chimes in with that), and in PVP it's very difficult to beat someone who got luckier with mods than you did.
    One good mod is RNG but a well modded roster is work, farming, sifting developing and assigning to appropriate toons.

When I see someone with 125+ speed secondaries set while I didn't get a single 25+speed mod for several years of playing it's not about "work, farming, ...", etc. It's simple and pure luck. I mean yes, people who understand how mods work and how mod farming and slicing works will have huge advantage over those who don't understand. But among this people, due to extreme importance of speed and extremely low probability of getting exceptional speed mods, will be players who are lucky and who are not. And sometimes it's all what matters (you either faster than your opponent or lose).

Yes, there is rng components in other aspects of the game. But mods is the one where several lucky rolls can give permanent advantage. Hopefully the game seems to be shifting away from single meta without counters on the squad side, so now this isn't that big problem as it was before. Well, at least until we get another pure speed meta. :)
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Hortus wrote: »

When I see someone with 125+ speed secondaries set while I didn't get a single 25+speed mod for several years of playing it's not about "work, farming, ...", etc. It's simple and pure luck. I mean yes, people who understand how mods work and how mod farming and slicing works will have huge advantage over those who don't understand. But among this people, due to extreme importance of speed and extremely low probability of getting exceptional speed mods, will be players who are lucky and who are not. And sometimes it's all what matters (you either faster than your opponent or lose).

Yes, there is rng components in other aspects of the game. But mods is the one where several lucky rolls can give permanent advantage. Hopefully the game seems to be shifting away from single meta without counters on the squad side, so now this isn't that big problem as it was before. Well, at least until we get another pure speed meta. :)

Have you been refreshing mod energy every single day since it was introduced, without fail? Do you make good choices about what mods to slice? Do you win your GAC rounds so you don't have to farm those slicing mats?

Mods are about more than RNG. They are about attempts.
  • Options
    Most people don't have 150 crystals to spend every day on mod refresh. Those that stay near the top of one or both of their arena shards have a significant advantage compared to those that don't. And there 19900 players without this advantage to the 100 that have it.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Ok but that ignores the point that the best mod collections aren't obtained via just RNG.
  • Hortus
    624 posts Member
    Options
    Hortus wrote: »

Have you been refreshing mod energy every single day since it was introduced, without fail? Do you make good choices about what mods to slice? Do you win your GAC rounds so you don't have to farm those slicing mats?

Mods are about more than RNG. They are about attempts.

Mod collections on the entire roster are about attempts, for sure. Fastest mod sets on key characters is about RNG - attempts help but guarantee nothing due to extremely low probability of rolling very high speed mods.

And yes, I do almost all those things except sometimes don't refresh mods energy. Let's say I even double or triple my mods income by refreshing, would I receive more 25+ speed mods in the next year? Maybe, if I'll be more lucky than before. Or maybe not - I didn't got it in thousands of previous attempts and there is same probability I won't get it in next thousands. But of course, I will receive my zero 25+ mods 2 or 3 times faster. :) And that's will improve my entire collection greatly with not exceptional but still very good mods.

Btw, actually I don't think it's the bad thing, the mod system is fine imho. The real problem is extreme importance of speed, but again, looks like developers realized this and all metas after DR aren't that speed dependent.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    You still have a better chance of getting a +25 speed mod if you make more attempts at doing so.

Meanwhile you will absolutely get more +15, and probably more +20 too.

"Sometimes don't refresh mods energy" means I get more attempts than you, because I never miss a day. And I have more chances to get better mods as a result.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Aandien wrote: »
    Most people don't have 150 crystals to spend every day on mod refresh. Those that stay near the top of one or both of their arena shards have a significant advantage compared to those that don't. And there 19900 players without this advantage to the 100 that have it.

I mean realistically, huge swaths of any arena shard are going to be full of inactive accounts and people who only fire up the game a couple times a week, so the pool of players competing for top spots is much smaller than that.

If you do your daily activities that's like 100 crystals right there. 50 crystals from squad shouldn't be too difficult to cover the difference. Personally I've been very lucky with my fleet shard, so it's super easy (barely an inconvenience) to hit 1st, but I have to imagine with a little focus, top 50 for another 50 crystals wouldn't be that difficult in most shards.

As for people at the top having an advantage, like...yeah, doy. That's the whole point of gunning for the top spots.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    First off let me start by saying I HATE the mod system... I find it hard to understand what is a good mod and what mods suck... When I get a mod it can have anywhere from 3 base speed secondary to 6 base speed secondary and that is mainly the only stat I pay attention to... I farm mods all the time and it is hard for me to understand what a good mod is... when I have the game auto mod my toons it does something totally off the wall and I wish I could understand the whole system better. Add to the fact that People are making programs that access the game and rearrange all your mods with the click of a button and CG is doing nothing to stop these programs or even acknowledge them. What some call a quality of life improvement, I call a ToS violation. Why can CG not make a system to help us with all this and not leave it to handing your account over to a 3rd party and have them go in and mod your toons for you... or have a program store your mod setups with one easy click of the button? I work over 70 hours a week and play this game on the go.... I don't want to spend that down time remodding characters for events then moving mods back before a GAC and TW/TB. This is less like a game and more of a job.

It is quite just you when combining your original post with another thread you made. The game is not just $
    First off let me say that I am what some people would call a kraken... I have a 7.5 Million account and I do not use any type of questionable programs and built my account myself though money that I have earned... I have always loved and defended the game and found it fun to figure out new things with old and new characters. I was one of the first players to figure out and use the HK-47 Droid team in arena if that gives you an Idea for how long I have played the game. I have run into all types of cheaters in the game and have even made friendships with some of them in Discord... but I do not cheat myself. I have avoided guilds that use questionable bots because I consider that to be cheating... I have never paid anyone to remod my account because in my minds eye giving someone access to my account is cheating, even though I could really use the help to remod my stuff. CGs modding system sucks and I suck at modding even worse.

I buy every new character that comes out unless it is a character I really do not like as much as others... then I will buy it up slowly... it is cheaper that way. I have not really farmed anything because my time is more valued than my money that I can make in that amount of time and now I am feeling like playing this game is a waste of my time. I have sat by and watched a countless number of times where what should still be a good character is out dated and left behind with no upgrades while CG moves on to what seems to be their next big cash grab.

This game could be so much more than it is and that is why I stick around... that and my love for the Starwars IP, but I have had enough. I am playing my account on auto pilot hoping things change but my interest is fading fast. I have sent CG personal many messages asking for clarification on the Terms Of Service for close to a year now (ever sense HotBot was released) and those messages sit with dust on them with no response. That on top of the fact that many of my other now worthless characters... characters I have spent hundreds of dollars on in the past are at best laughable at Relic 7 in GAC... the one event I feel is worth my time to keep this game around for.

I had hope in my heart for this game when they (CG) was talking about reworking stuff but then that faded when they said the Mace Windu rework was canceled and immediately came out with Jedi Knight Luke with a kit that made NO SENSE when you look at his character from the movie.

please return the entertainment CG. Give me a reason to keep spending.

• Options
    sounds like OP spends a lot of money on the game, and expects to win all his matches based of that alone. If anything thats supports the argument that mods are absolutely working great since throwing money alone is not enough
  • Options
    You still have a better chance of getting a +25 speed mod if you make more attempts at doing so.

Meanwhile you will absolutely get more +15, and probably more +20 too.

"Sometimes don't refresh mods energy" means I get more attempts than you, because I never miss a day. And I have more chances to get better mods as a result.

You are completely right about "those who have more attempts have better chances", I never argued with that. But just the one question - among those people who "never miss a day" like you are there the people with better or worse top mods? :) I think we both know the answer, and that's exactly my point (nothing else).
  • Options
    I would like the OPs ally code to see his mods
  • U235
    23 posts Member
    Options
    I have what I think are some great mods... what upsets me the most is I got to spend my time moving them around to do events then move them all back again in a hour or 2 of free time I get when working to lock them in for GAC or TW... I also hate how I can not tell what mod "rolls" good... how the game judges one mod is GREAT and I think it is trash... I want things cleared up in the mod game and I don't want to need to pay someone to log into my account to mod it nor do I want to "donate" money to a bot program that can move all my mods around on all 191 or so odd toons I have in 1 easy click... because according to CG that is cheating (against the terms of service) and if CG wanted to look at my activity on my account you would think they could tell that you just moved 125 mods in under 10 seconds and ban your account. It also upsets em that other people get away with this and I need to fight them in GAC because while some players (mainly the cheaters that use and maintain the bots in question) have an unfair advantage. Now if CG ever got off its behind and declared that these modding "services" was legal a big part of my issue would go away... I would love to see a Mod update adding these tools to the game though rather than me handing my account over to some guy I do not know.

Mods aren't broken, I thought I knew a lot about them until I watched this series, I took notes.

Thankyou to DaarthBrewer for this video and trying to help. Have not watched it yet but I plan on doing so soon.

My post was more to trying to figure out the rolls mods get when you level them up and stuff though... I just got side tracked on the cheating thing... I get side tracked easy when I am sleepy.

Keep looking up my past posts though @Mephisto_style and you will find out what brought me to these message boards in the first place was to look up what CG was going to do about the cheating in the game over a year or so ago and I found a post where a Mod said to Direct message CG crumb about stuff like this and you would get a response... well that very first post I made was a private message to him asking if these bots are legal to use and I still have not got a response so that leads me to believe they are not. You have more time than I do to research message boards though as I have seen from you digging around my past posts so if you know the answer please let me know... maybe I will reward you with a few screenshots of my mods.
  • Options
    I have what I think are some great mods... what upsets me the most is I got to spend my time moving them around to do events then move them all back again in a hour or 2 of free time I get when working to lock them in for GAC or TW... I also hate how I can not tell what mod "rolls" good... how the game judges one mod is GREAT and I think it is trash... I want things cleared up in the mod game and I don't want to need to pay someone to log into my account to mod it nor do I want to "donate" money to a bot program that can move all my mods around on all 191 or so odd toons I have in 1 easy click... because according to CG that is cheating (against the terms of service) and if CG wanted to look at my activity on my account you would think they could tell that you just moved 125 mods in under 10 seconds and ban your account. It also upsets em that other people get away with this and I need to fight them in GAC because while some players (mainly the cheaters that use and maintain the bots in question) have an unfair advantage. Now if CG ever got off its behind and declared that these modding "services" was legal a big part of my issue would go away... I would love to see a Mod update adding these tools to the game though rather than me handing my account over to some guy I do not know.

Thankyou to DaarthBrewer for this video and trying to help. Have not watched it yet but I plan on doing so soon.

My post was more to trying to figure out the rolls mods get when you level them up and stuff though... I just got side tracked on the cheating thing... I get side tracked easy when I am sleepy.

Keep looking up my past posts though @Mephisto_style and you will find out what brought me to these message boards in the first place was to look up what CG was going to do about the cheating in the game over a year or so ago and I found a post where a Mod said to Direct message CG crumb about stuff like this and you would get a response... well that very first post I made was a private message to him asking if these bots are legal to use and I still have not got a response so that leads me to believe they are not. You have more time than I do to research message boards though as I have seen from you digging around my past posts so if you know the answer please let me know... maybe I will reward you with a few screenshots of my mods.

I don't need a screenshot of your mods, just your ally code. SwGOH.gg shows all your equipped mods.

As for companies and ToS agreements, is using a mod equipping bot "cheating" in the spirit of their ToS agreement I do not know. I can only imagine no because they have said nothing about it.

I rolled this last nightdn7sg5ypm3cf.jpg

Your mod problem is you, man. You don't have a logical and consistent mod farm/slice strategy. At least not a great 1 that works for you if you have this problem.
    I only buy gold +4/5 speed mods and up them.
    I only farm slice mats.
    I slice all +speed 8 or more mods to max
    Every day in 60 seconds.
    I never farm new mods with energy.
    I slice 6E a lot for my GP
  • Options

I don't need a screenshot of your mods, just your ally code. SwGOH.gg shows all your equipped mods.

As for companies and ToS agreements, is using a mod equipping bot "cheating" in the spirit of their ToS agreement I do not know. I can only imagine no because they have said nothing about it.

Your mod problem is you, man. You don't have a logical and consistent mod farm/slice strategy. At least not a great 1 that works for you if you have this problem.
    I only farm slice mats.
    Every day in 60 seconds.

Then why do you not have enough slicing mats? How are you going to buy gold mods when you don’t have enough credits? Talk about illogical strategies.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Farming zero mods and relying on nothing but the store? Yuck.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

I tried to watch that series. But I already have one masters degree - I didn't need another in math. And it was really difficult to stay awake for certain parts....like...the entire thing.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options

I only farm slice mats.
    Every day in 60 seconds.

Then why do you not have enough slicing mats? How are you going to buy gold mods when you don’t have enough credits? Talk about illogical strategies.

Who said "I don't have enough" slicing mats? My strategy involves farming and slicing far more than praying for good greys and greens to start with, and it is working awesome for me.

Who said I don't have enough credits?

You just pulled 2 things from nowhere.
  • Options
    I would like the ability to swap all the mods between two characters with one button.
  • Options

I only farm slice mats.
    Every day in 60 seconds.

Who said "I don't have enough" slicing mats?
    Your screenshot in which you had neither?
  • Options

I only farm slice mats.
    Every day in 60 seconds.

Who said "I don't have enough" slicing mats? My strategy involves farming and slicing far more than praying for good greys and greens to start with, and it is working awesome for me.

You just pulled 2 things from nowhere.

OR DID I

mbcg6yk6galj.jpeg

I reject your reality and substitute my own.