Old Ben revisit

Prev134
Below

Replies

• Options
    Old for the taunt ftw. No offense, but people who think old Ben is viable is off their rocker. If I am off my rocker please explain why I am off my rocker. I believe you are off your rocker because: old Ben sucks, and here is why: #1 his offense blows we all know that. #2 he's slow as a board.#3 his special is eh ok, nothing to write home about and here is why: ability block for 1 turn, ok? Big whoop. Offense down is pretty good for 2 turns, BUT! He has like 20 potency, his stuff doesn't land too great. So his special works only maybe half, making an eh ok special basically poo. His death ability is nice however, he never dies lol. His massive health pool, his top notch defense, and auto - evade up on strike ability makes him hard to kill and why would anyone kill him in the first place, he is not threatening anyone. Only a dead obi is a good obi. That is why a taunt completes his incomplete kit. Utilize that hp pool, defense, and evade, and possible death. Without a taunt you got not even a one trick pony, you got a half trick pony that resets in 5 turns.
    Foomerang wrote: »
    Here's what you give to ol Benny-boy:

Normal attack gives offense down for 2 turns.
    AOE attack gives buff immunity for 2 turns.
    Increase his potency.

Now you have a tank that is anti Poggle/burst teams and you have to make a tough choice to weather the debuffs or take him out first and weather the buffs.

Put him behind RG lol what a nightmare.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Old for the taunt ftw. No offense, but people who think old Ben is viable is off their rocker. If I am off my rocker please explain why I am off my rocker. I believe you are off your rocker because: old Ben sucks, and here is why: #1 his offense blows we all know that. #2 he's slow as a board.#3 his special is eh ok, nothing to write home about and here is why: ability block for 1 turn, ok? Big whoop. Offense down is pretty good for 2 turns, BUT! He has like 20 potency, his stuff doesn't land too great. So his special works only maybe half, making an eh ok special basically poo. His death ability is nice however, he never dies lol. His massive health pool, his top notch defense, and auto - evade up on strike ability makes him hard to kill and why would anyone kill him in the first place, he is not threatening anyone. Only a dead obi is a good obi. That is why a taunt completes his incomplete kit. Utilize that hp pool, defense, and evade, and possible death. Without a taunt you got not even a one trick pony, you got a half trick pony that resets in 5 turns.
    Foomerang wrote: »
    Here's what you give to ol Benny-boy:

Normal attack gives offense down for 2 turns.
    AOE attack gives buff immunity for 2 turns.
    Increase his potency.

Now you have a tank that is anti Poggle/burst teams and you have to make a tough choice to weather the debuffs or take him out first and weather the buffs.

Put him behind RG lol what a nightmare.

Below
  • Options
    I like it! I LIKE IT ALOT. That would make him viable in Arena, and at the same time not OP. Also, what about adding a taunt RG style, but maybe really passive like when an ally is under 10 percent or something?
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Jedi teams could really use a taunt on SOMEONE.

Combat Upgrade and New Game Enhancements will fix everything important.

If it didn't get better, it wasn't important.
  • Options
    With careful team selection you can force the enemy to kill Ben earlier than they should....
  • SinnerWill
    370 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If they throw a taunt on Old Ben, he'd need to lose the dodge effect attached to his basic, and possibly a bit of toning down to his unique. As it stands right now, he's probably the single most tanky character in the game (even without his evasion buff), so just a FEW bad rounds of RNG could make him a bit OP.

Offense-wise, he's probably in the top 5 for damage output of tanks (Finn takes the cake), so he's not exactly awful, getting 4k+ crits.

Lastly, his leader ability applies to all units (so it doesn't force you to employ a specific synergy). And it can be quite handy with the recent changes to debuffs now being evadable.
  • Options
    With careful team selection you can force the enemy to kill Ben earlier than they should....

Please explain. I have no clue how this can be done. Without explaining, it sounds like you are off your rocker on that one.
  • Options

Please explain. I have no clue how this can be done. Without explaining, it sounds like you are off your rocker on that one.

Stealthies. I think that's what was implied.
  • Options
    Oh haha. I don't see that strategy being very reliable. I agree @SinnerWill, by adding a taunt probably merits something being nerfed from ben. It would have to be his evade up from regular attack, because his special is borderline as it is, can't nerf that. He will have a potency upgrade with higher levels, but everyone's tenacity goes up as well. It will remain to be see whether his special lands more less or the same with update.
  • Options
    Two possible team setups:

Nute leader, Leia, dathca, acolyte, Ben.

Level 80 Ewoks (Teebo scramble) & Ben.

Also you can make Ben target counter attackers or toons with retribution applied. A good anti-Dooku measure - for once you are HOPING for him to multi hit :#
  • Options
    Honestly those are fascinating ideas. I can't begin to comment on the effectiveness because I have NONE of those supporting cast lol. Anyone ever test this?
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    Options
    Are you forgetting that at lvl80 his special also has an 80% chance to remove 60% turn meter?
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Have read good things about Ewoks, adding Ben seems legit.
    The stealth hodgepodge seems less viable. Acolyte stealth is low %
  • Options
    Yeah actually, I did forget to add that. That would be nice, if it lands. I still don't think that makes him viable. He needs to have a taunt to utilize his stats.
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have been thinking about farming him and running him as leader on a turn manipulation team. I agree though, a taunt would be awesome.
  • Options
    I started farming him today feel like I shouldn't now but need more Jedi
  • Options
    Below
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Giving Old Ben a taunt would make him one of the most OP characters in the game, unless it was a very short taunt, and even then possibly.
    If he's not "viable" then he can be tweaked, but a taunt is overboard given his death effect.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    I got the idea a while ago when I barely scraped to the last node on GW with no healers left and a low health A team to work with. As usual was paired up with a maxed lvl70 Jinn led speed team sporting yoda, Leia, dooku, GS. No matter how many times i restarted I got totally wiped out, even after chucking in a couple of suicide squads to soak up specials.

Running out of ideas i remembered I had a low level unupgraded Ben (lucky pack pull) and just chucked him in the team to see what would happen. After a couple of RNG restarts Yoda one shot him on the first turn and buffed my entire team into an evading crit machine. Ended up scraping a win with my last solo toon Lando hitting a crit bomb after dodging two certain kill shots. So yeah it works!
  • Options
    Hah that's a funny story @MirthYaywalker. Yah, I use him on my b team in gw. He has some use there. As far as arena, I just had an idea. It's so simple. Why not just remove his death bonus? Sure it would be nice if he ever died, but he's always the last to go. So instead of rework his special move or attack, take off the death affect and add a second special. This is a good compromise. People want a taunt, but it might be too much. Take away that useless death affect and add a new special. An aoe that adds buff immunity to enemies.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Why not just remove his death bonus?

Why not make a completely different character with different mechanics and a different name rather than destroying this one?
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Why not just remove his death bonus?

Why not make a completely different character with different mechanics and a different name rather than destroying this one?

because the name of the thread is old ben.

• Options
    I don't think taking away his death special would destroy old Ben because it hardly ever gets used.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's an essential part of both the fluff and mechanics of the character. Removing it would make Old Ben no longer Old Ben.
    I'm not averse to minor tweaks that make him more viable but you are talking about wholesale changes that I would not support.
    ETA: There's no law saying that every character must be an essential part of the meta at all times. Old Ben was very powerful and used in top teams for many weeks. I'm sure he will be again, even if he isn't now. Many other characters need reworking a lot more.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think taking away his death special would destroy old Ben because it hardly ever gets used.

I tend to agree. Replace with taunt.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    ETA: There's no law saying that every character must be an essential part of the meta at all times. Old Ben was very powerful and used in top teams for many weeks. I'm sure he will be again, even if he isn't now. Many other characters need reworking a lot more.

Agree. Other chars who need reworking should be discussed in the appropriately named threads. Again this thread is about old ben.

• Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Any character reworks should come at least a few weeks AFTER the cap raise an new mechanics. Many of our points may become moot.
  • Options
    Old Ben's special is great - meter removal + ability block and D down 2 turns. You don't need it to hit on all 5 toons to be effective. He's a very good character still. Taunt on a character that is very hard to kill and then gives everyone all the buffs in the game is a pretty lopsided design. So spend attacking resources to kill Ben, which then gives his allies super powers once you've actually killed him? You can try this yourself - the next time you see Ben in a team, attack him first and don't stop till you kill him. Report back on how that match goes :)
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Agree. Other chars who need reworking should be discussed in the appropriately named threads. Again this thread is about old ben.

Fine. I don't think he particularly requires a revisit, and I think your suggestions would be a step backwards rather than forwards. YMMV.
  • Options
    It would be a shame to lose his unique death mechanic. Maybe future toons could have a variation - old Han who when killed sends Chewbacca into rage mode and nerfs Kylo into confusion mode.