[MEGA] State of the Galaxy: November 2021

Replies

• Vishprat
    3 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    I am really liking the changes. Finally shard competation come to an end. I have been fighting with them for long time. Now I relieved with that. Only people get affected in top 20. However they can still get 500 crystals with few wins.

Only I have concern about like 4M to 6 M gp how they can move into kyber? And get max crystals. Might be few explanation from CG can help.
  • so 2mGP players with no GL who run 1st in arena and reach everytime kyber, will never reach kyber or auro in future (cause GP doesn´t count for matchmaking?), but they also won´t have income from squad arena? *lol* thats funny, Chapeau!
  • I love it.
    Can't stand Arena with all the rubbish, and Mafia, that brings with it.
    I love GAC, both 5v5 and 3v3, so yeah, I think this is a great idea.
    If folk don't want to get involved, that's their issue.
    I like the fact I need to think about what I set and what the other guy can use against me, it feels like an actual strategy and not the same team fight over and over, so, yeah, bring it on 😁
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    Kyno wrote: »
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    I feel like the folks who say this is going to reduce income across the board are letting slip their chat status. Practically speaking, the maximum number of players per arena shard that could get first place in a day was 24. If you think 24 players (maximum) represent the experience of the rest of the player base then you're pretty out of touch. You weren't earning your crystals, you were part of a cartel that conspired to keep the crystals in their little group.

For the rest of us, just being in Carbonite 1 is going to give as many daily crystals as we already get.

So saying that everyone is going to suffer doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The 1% is going to suffer and the rest of us are going to get an increase based on what we deserve, so........

Sucks to be you. Get good at Grand Arena.

You do understand there are multiple arena shards, with new ones popping up all the time right.

You do not like shard chats.... but a newer player that gets #1 because they have the best team in their newer created shard arena will be getting the shaft with this.

Its always bad to take something from players, its never bad to add something.

From the discussion we had, there are some cases where it's a decrease, but overall it's an increase.

When looking at new shards which have the largest active population, this is a blessing, as many of them are averaging a very low income, compared to the average in the new system.

Perhaps a better explaination is needed. The way im reading it newer players (lvl 85) are going to not be anywhere near kyber payouts.

Initial gp will lock them in low. Skill will grow them some, but id think that #1 player with a low gp wont be clearing 500 a day
  • Vishprat wrote: »
    I am really liking the changes. Finally shard competation come to an end. I have been fighting with them for long time. Now I relieved with that. Only people get affected in top 20. However they can still get 500 crystals with few wins.

Only I have concern about like 4M to 6 M gp how they can move into kyber? And get max crystals. Might be few explanation from CG can help.

Spend money.

This entire system is built for you to reach a ceiling and need to spend to get higher.
  • I will likely be in the minority here, but I am cautiously ecstatic. Assuming this goes as I hope it does, it is removing the game mode I hate the most and improving the one I like the most.

This is basically what I've been asking for forever.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/2317045#Comment_2317045

I agree with you, squad arena is boring as hell, and I always ended up Kyber on GAC anyways, just three of my lifetime tournaments I did not get into Kyber, one because I legitimally, lose a lot, and the other two because I forgot to join into one round lol

Even tho I'm a F2P player, I'm instantly gaining more crystals daily on my league (Kyber 4) than what I'm gaining right now on squad arena (top 50)
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    Given some time to think, I see the biggest pitfall in the matchmaking. There are two important parameters, GP and win/loss ratio, and they are not exactly correlated. Two players can have the same win/loss but wildly different GP. Over time, a lot of players across GP will gravitate towards 1:1 w/l, and it will be pure hell. Imagine facing players selected randomly from the entire GP range. Unless, of course, the matchmaking isn't as independent on GP as they claim.

The GP only affects initial seeding. After that, it's not considered. Only our skill rating matters, which is based on performance. If your skill rating is too high, you'll lose more than you win until you settle into the right spot. If you improve your roster suddenly, you should get some easy wins until your skill rating increases appropriately.

I know all this. My point is that the same skill rating is achievable with wildly different GP. If you fight your peers and win constantly, you will get the same rating as someone who keeps winning against their peers but at double your GP. Or half. It will be a pure coin toss at that point, assuming that the matchmaking really is independent on GP.

And how is that different from Squad Arena? I have 7m gp because I've been playing for years. But new Arena shards are made every day. Someone who just started playing a month ago can still be #1 on their leaderboard by virtue of the fact that it consists ONLY of players who started playing a month ago.

I feel like something is getting lost in our conversation. The situation in GAC will be as if you and the hypothetical #1 player could face each other, all based on a random roll.

Yup, something got lost, sorry! I thouht the point you were trying to make is that people with lower gp shouldn't get the same rewards as people with higher gp, but the same skill level. Your actual point is that people with (significantly) lower gp shouldn't be matched up against people with higher gp, but the same skill level.

I agree with you on that. It's something that'll sort itself out in time as those lower gps lose and those higher gps win and people rise to the level where their rosters are about equal. But the "in time" part is what concerns me--it could be a BUMPY debut if they just give everyone the same starting skill rating and say go to town 😬.

What I'm hoping is that the initial skill rating is different based on GP. Say everyone starts with 1000, then you get another 100 for every million gp. That way the higher-end rosters start with an initial separation from the lower-end rosters and people can start up against roughly similar gps.

I'm not sure if there's a new numeric called skill rating. But we will all be starting in leagues depending on gp, so it's not "everyone has the same skill rating and go town now"
  • Frankto wrote: »
    I am 4M GP and taking #1 in Squad Arena every day. I'd really love it if someone could explain to me why my crystal income is going to be 177 lower every day, best case scenario. That's 64.6K crystals a year, minimum, possibly more than twice that.

You should look again, you are going to be way worse than 177 lower if you are getting 500.

Closer to 255 lower per day.

Sadly, yeah. But if I win every single GAC match, I get to lose out on only 177 crystals per day! Woo. -_-

What a privilege. God forbid I get busy on a GAC day, because you don't earn anything unless you can actually play.
  • CrispyFett
    965 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    I'm actually cautiously optimistic about the change- reserving judgment until it is implemented for awhile. I would rather not be tied down to my phone for a specific hour or two everyday to guarantee crystal income as I am now in arenas. If we're able to play GAC in a 24 hour period or so that gives me more freedom of choosing when i want to play, which seems like a good thing. Will have to see how it shapes up as far as average amount of crystals earned
  • ShaggyB wrote: »
    Given some time to think, I see the biggest pitfall in the matchmaking. There are two important parameters, GP and win/loss ratio, and they are not exactly correlated. Two players can have the same win/loss but wildly different GP. Over time, a lot of players across GP will gravitate towards 1:1 w/l, and it will be pure hell. Imagine facing players selected randomly from the entire GP range. Unless, of course, the matchmaking isn't as independent on GP as they claim.

The GP only affects initial seeding. After that, it's not considered. Only our skill rating matters, which is based on performance. If your skill rating is too high, you'll lose more than you win until you settle into the right spot. If you improve your roster suddenly, you should get some easy wins until your skill rating increases appropriately.

I know all this. My point is that the same skill rating is achievable with wildly different GP. If you fight your peers and win constantly, you will get the same rating as someone who keeps winning against their peers but at double your GP. Or half. It will be a pure coin toss at that point, assuming that the matchmaking really is independent on GP.

And how is that different from Squad Arena? I have 7m gp because I've been playing for years. But new Arena shards are made every day. Someone who just started playing a month ago can still be #1 on their leaderboard by virtue of the fact that it consists ONLY of players who started playing a month ago.

So you do see this... so for that player... dont they lose out on crystals now?

They do for a little while, until the cartel sets in. And then they either join it, in which case I don’t care, or they’re excluded, in which case they stand to benefit from this.

A thing you may not be considering is that even though income will go down initially, a large part of that income gets funneled into staying at the top of arena. If people don’t have to spend to stay high, if they don’t have to stress about the climb an hour before payout, if they can put their gear and omegas and zetas on characters and teams they like instead of the 10 teams some youtuber told them they need to get asap so they can break into their local arena cartel and finish the game as fast as possible… Is that bad?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member

I fail to see the issue here. Consider two players, one at 5M and one at 8M. Their initial seeding will have them spread very far apart. If they should meet someday, that means that the 8M player has been losing and the 5M player has been winning. In theory, their skill gap should be enough to make the matchup interesting. If it is not, the 5M player will lose some skill rating and the 8M player will gain some back, and the system corrects itself.

Well, that's the thing I detailed in one of my other posts. Either the initial seeding keeps them separated, and new players (seeded to the bottom) will most likely never get very high, or it doesn't and GP mismatches will be common. The solution would be to let skill rating define your league and division and then pull your 7 opponents for the given run based on GP, but from the SOTG it seems that GP won't be taken into account at all.

I just don't see why GP should be a metric if you have a skill rating. I'm tired of efficiency rosters getting easy matches. I'm tired of hoarding upgrades for GL farms because it'll adversely affect my matchmaking. Ignoring GP (after the initial seeding, which happens one time, ever), seems like a huge improvement to me.

"new players (seeded to the bottom)"

This begs a question. Where will new level 85 players get slotted. At the very bottom with a skill rating of 0 (or whatever the minimum is)?

GP should be a factor because it is a measure of what you have at your disposal. To use an analogy (always a good idea on the forum!) the previous matchmaking matched casual bikers with winners of tour de france. Purely skill-based one will match bicycles with motorbikes as long as both riders are at the same skill level. Neither sounds very good to me.
  • LukeDukem8
    607 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    I can't believe I am going to say this, but I have to admit I think CG nailed it here on concept. (Let's see on execution.)

Benefits:
    Flexibility in when I want to play (no longer do I have to play at an exact hour everyday)
    less monotony (playing the same teams 5 times per day is the same reason why I hated conquest)
    more of an emphasis on my entire roster and not feeling like I have to chase the meta to get cc
    no more issues with inflating GP and am free to finally work on whatever I want
    Self correcting matchmaking (based on skill and not gp)
    benefits those who actually know a large part of the inventory, and not just one meta team
    removes the mafia mentality in arena shards
    instantly turns arena mode into a quasi sandbox mode...now if we can only find a way to move shards around so I can play with/against my guildmates.

Negatives (hard to find too many)
    some players are going to lose out on some cc because they only went after 1 team for arena
    more time/energy spent in the game to earn the same amount of cc.
    with more gac emphasis, qol issues and game setup should be easier
    same map so this could get stale really quick

• I am very worried about the new "Skill-based" matchmaking. Those systems usually have a very hard focus on making you be as close to a 50% winrate as possible. Measuring skill by wins/losses is a sure way to give people even worse, even more impossible match-ups they absolutely cannot win, assuming that the GP limitations for pools are going to be taken away in exchange.

Having 3 wins as a 3 million GP player and being matched against someone with 8 million GP for having 3 losses so to "balance" the wins and losses of each respective player is a very toxic and inherently terrible design that punishes you for being good and rewards you for being bad via a penalty system that isn't even intentional. A natural side-effect of win/loss matchmaking design that no game to date has ever successfully managed to deal with. The best example to that is how League of Legends designs their ranked matches. If you win a couple times, you get worse allies and stronger enemies just to push you back down into a loss.
  • I like it but that’s probably because I’m not in a squad mafia where I’m guaranteed a large amount of crystals daily for little to no work.
  • burntomaro wrote: »
    I like it but that’s probably because I’m not in a squad mafia where I’m guaranteed a large amount of crystals daily for little to no work.

Yeah, honestly, 80% of the people who are angry for this must be because they're in the mafia lol
  • Angry are low GP arena focused players, they will have income cut, its same patern like with hard/normal/easy conquest to limit low gp players on rewards to encourage fast roster development
  • Nauros wrote: »

I assumed it will be within divisions, it’s still something’
  • mariogsh wrote: »
    burntomaro wrote: »
    I like it but that’s probably because I’m not in a squad mafia where I’m guaranteed a large amount of crystals daily for little to no work.

Yeah, honestly, 80% of the people who are angry for this must be because they're in the mafia lol

Or because we already work a job and play this game for fun. We aren't all full time streamers where GAC is life. I have time to play 3-5 arena battles for a few clicks and then an auto button each day. With the increased time sink of TW, CHOREquest, making our crystal income reliant on a mode where to be competitive you have to scout, plan, and make attacks requiring orders of magnitudes more time is a kick in the family responsibilities that will drive away a lot of players who don't have the time to min/max for their daily crystal income.
  • DEATHER wrote: »
    Angry are low GP arena focused players, they will have income cut, its same patern like with hard/normal/easy conquest to limit low gp players on rewards to encourage fast roster development

Bingo. The whole driving force in this game since conception is to earn purps, and you did that by striving to have a top notch arena squad. Rewards for a diverse roster were a joke (ie regular grand arena). Now after 6 years, they've flipped that whole dynamic.

• The GAC battles aren't every day. And not all have dead shards where 5 is enough.

I average 7 to 8 arena battles a day in my hyperactive shard. With GAC on a 70-day cycle, there are 12 days with 11+2 and 12 with 15+2 for a total of 360. That averages out to a little over 10 per day. Hardly a drastic increase. And unlike arena, it won't be the same boring battles at the same hour every day on a cooldown timer.

That's the problem with averages, where the 11 battles in a single day, each with vastly different requirements, is just extra brainpower and effort that does not correspond with extra rewards. With arena, a win is a win, but in GAC, we're at the mercy of RNG, other players messing with you, and a poor matchmaking system that hasn't been fixed after 2 years since GAC began. That's made worse when GAC attack day coincides with TW attack day, how many battles is that? Then the day after (or before) there's just nothing. No TW, no GAC, just people using their free time to complain about how there's nothing to do.

And having boring repetitive battles is good. Boring is reliable, you already know the result, just go to work and get paid, not having to stress over some randomness of a 50% counter activating and taking away 1 protection and losing GAC by 1 point, or losing a speed tie, or a badly-time resist/miss, or the computer deciding that today you will face someone with half the roster at G1 and other half G13, or someone who has been playing the game a year longer than you but at the same GP and same number of GLs, but far better mods.
  • DEATHER wrote: »
    Angry are low GP arena focused players, they will have income cut, its same patern like with hard/normal/easy conquest to limit low gp players on rewards to encourage fast roster development

Is anyone taking into consideration the offset to the cc income for lower players has been 2x shard drops and better gear everywhere for pre g12 gearing?
  • I've played since the middle of the first year, 2 accounts and this is probably the end for me.

Way to destroy everything we've built.

Same, but first month player here
  • Honestly is kinda funny reading the replies to the post,I have never seen such thing like this,we as a community have always complained and complained with good reason,grindquest,the gear gate,the huge bugs that took years to be fixed,overpriced characters,packs,the great nerf and many other problems. We are right to be critic of these problems because they affect us and affect the health of the game,it was and it is something that is bad looking for a game company.

BUT,here is the thing they are working in to improve they are and stop pretending they dont,arent they looking for improve the gear flow? adding new characters? yeah its not the shipload of content but **** what do you want? Every week a new character? what about kits and balancing? Just add it and it is simple? I think we are complaning away too much on a thing that is to make it better for everyone.

Before you go all "but cg is making us pay for the most powerful toys and be sweaty" I want you to read the post,arent they improving the MM God I hope and I wish Im right in defending this...It is my hope that they made the MM fair,I have both revans and malak and I was being matched with people that had neither of them only progressing with like reliced geos,empire,ns and such which are not bad teams but for me it was a bit unfair because all I need was a reliced vader and most of these teams were nothing and even my undergear DR could do the work,it didnt feel fair to me why Im being matched with people that doesnt have a similar roaster and are well...easy wins only whenever I reach kyber is that something actually happens and I sweat a bit but thats all so Im really looking for it to the MM to be improved and secondly no,cg is not making you pay for it,it is your choice to pay not only that but let me say this,if you got all the teams in the game except the gls,you got none of them,but you still have GAS,DR,Padme, the best OGs and then you get matched up with someone that has a GL but their roaster is well terrible because they focused solely in the GL requirements so you can still put a good defense take a bite out of the defense and win,this wont apply to every single person but it is what Im thinking.

Then again there is another problem,Im currently focusing my roaster to get SLKR,will I find someone with a GL or 2? Or not even one? If I find 2 I will have to resort to strategy and make my defense a little bit harder sure he may clean one team and solo the other and put the other in a place to prevent me to get it and while that I can put my SLKR as well and it will be either a headache to my opponent or another win,or even worse what if I have a gl and my opponent doesnt? That. Thats is why Im getting a bit uneasy,if someone that has no GAS but has Sith Empire gets matched to someone that has GAS and 501st but no Sith Empire,**** that will be a really sweaty match,sorry to get out of the point as I was saying I hope the MM is really improved now,because I wish to fight fairly and be matched fairly.

Another thing people have created accounts just to complain and say "oh im quitting swgoh" My dude have you any idea how much crystals are you losing? havent we all complained about the shard mafia? havent we all been aware of such matters? Or you just want to sit receive your payout and be done with it? Then people complain "oh there is nothing to do" and when it has it is the worst thing in the **** world" Y'all have played any FPS game? arent you competitive? Its almost the same thing I love GAC I love the dopamine it gives when I simply run around the enemy use my mind to plan ahead of my enemy and clean the territories,not everyone is like me everyone has their own tastes and thats is alright.

What bugs me is that this is so beneficial even and gives you such good rewards,improves matchmaking (please be true) and cuts this sandbagging of Squad Arena people saying that it helps f2p,oh yeah for sure maybe in the start but in mid game? my dudes...just no unless you are above 50 in SA and prob have a GL or you are really lucky I hate SA,it only benefits the first while the others are all fighting for it and yeah we may have adapted to it creating shard mafias if I may say like that and what did that do? "Lets make HDB users separeted" "my shard mate is so terrible" Listen,this is my experience,When I got malak and made him 7 stars both zetas I added him to my Sith Empire team and I love Sith Empire,I just love Darth Revan,I modded him with the best speed mods I had in my disposal made him gear 9 with gear 10 malak gear 11 bastila gear 10 hk and gear 8 marauder...I put it in the squad arena was getting to 600 sometimes but rarely stayed most around the 1000 and 950 position was seeing geos,empire,some jedi revan,ns,padme but rarely another darth revan,the fun part the moment I started to go for SLKR and put my reliced first order to replace,it was almost in an instant I started to see plenty of reliced Darth Revans,Padmes,GAS and even GLs,so you see how people can be? Im glad that they have changed the flow of crystals to GAC this really helps players like me.

As a closing point,Im excited to see how it will truly work and I really want something to do in this game.
  • Magruffin wrote: »
    DEATHER wrote: »

Bingo. The whole driving force in this game since conception is to earn purps, and you did that by striving to have a top notch arena squad. Rewards for a diverse roster were a joke (ie regular grand arena). Now after 6 years, they've flipped that whole dynamic.

Why should a player who has built only 1 top squad for arena (and has mediocre mods at best) earn the same amount as a player who has a wide roster, with better mods, and understand the overall roster and strategy better?

With an inventory collection game, it never made sense to have one single meta team represent an entire roster and to earn one of the most precious commodities off that single team.
  • mariogsh wrote: »
    burntomaro wrote: »

"Mafia" - sounds like you are jelly you weren't in one

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I feel like the folks who say this is going to reduce income across the board are letting slip their chat status. Practically speaking, the maximum number of players per arena shard that could get first place in a day was 24. If you think 24 players (maximum) represent the experience of the rest of the player base then you're pretty out of touch. You weren't earning your crystals, you were part of a cartel that conspired to keep the crystals in their little group.

For the rest of us, just being in Carbonite 1 is going to give as many daily crystals as we already get.

So saying that everyone is going to suffer doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The 1% is going to suffer and the rest of us are going to get an increase based on what we deserve, so........

You do understand there are multiple arena shards, with new ones popping up all the time right.

You do not like shard chats.... but a newer player that gets #1 because they have the best team in their newer created shard arena will be getting the shaft with this.

From the discussion we had, there are some cases where it's a decrease, but overall it's an increase.

When looking at new shards which have the largest active population, this is a blessing, as many of them are averaging a very low income, compared to the average in the new system.

Perhaps a better explaination is needed. The way im reading it newer players (lvl 85) are going to not be anywhere near kyber payouts.

Initial gp will lock them in low. Skill will grow them some, but id think that #1 player with a low gp wont be clearing 500 a day

Yes a small % of players will see lower income, in the situation your are stating.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Vishprat wrote: »

Spend money.

This entire system is built for you to reach a ceiling and need to spend to get higher.

Or patiently develop, like all f2p have been doing for years
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Vishprat wrote: »

Spend money.

Or patiently develop, like all f2p have been doing for years

Those above you aren’t stopping the development in their rosters. Patiently developing is just treading water. You won’t break through the ceiling by being patient since the ceiling keeps rising.

If everyone in your bracket has 2 million more GP, patiently developing won’t work since they continue to develop. The only way to close the gap is get frustrated and spend.

I’ve lost around 5 GAC matchups total in 12 months. In this new system, after a couple of months, I will hope and pray to win 4 of 12.
  • LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    Magruffin wrote: »
    DEATHER wrote: »

Why should a player who has built only 1 top squad for arena (and has mediocre mods at best) earn the same amount as a player who has a wide roster, with better mods, and understand the overall roster and strategy better?

With an inventory collection game, it never made sense to have one single meta team represent an entire roster and to earn one of the most precious commodities off that single team.

Because the inventory collection you mentioned has always been an afterthought in this game. If you beat your top shard mates, you deserve the top payout. Same as someone only playing a fraction of the time you've been and get top payout. They earned it by beating their peers (read: ppl who joined the game and should have had the same opportunities to grow), which is the same reward across the board. So yeah, pretty dam fair given the shard qualifier
    People who don't have the extra resources to fatten out their rosters are getting screwed, simply because they focused on arena dominating squads, which has been the main game mode/play style since day one.
    It may not have made sense, but that's the way the game was designed and pushed for 6 years. To change it now is ****.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member

Yes a small % of players will see lower income, in the situation your are stating.

Are you sure it will be a small %? If skill rating is all that matters, then new players will eventually hit a wall where they can't win because the high leagues are populated by veterans. Unless they heed Carrie's infamous tweet about catching up, of course...