Grand Arena Championships - Matchmaking

Prev13
CG said they re-did the matchmaking in the GAC and I am having a really hard time believing that. I am just over 8.1 million GP and I have 4 GL's at R7. In Round 1 of this current GAC my opponent was just shy of 9 million GP with all 6 GL's at R8. I won because my opponent did not set defense, so the AI set auto-defense and I was able to clear. In Round 2 my opponent has 8.3 million GP, all 6 GL's, with JML at R9 and the rest at R8. This is not improved matchmaking, it's hot garbage.

Replies

• Options
    Matchmaking is at its worst ever in this Gac.
  • Options
    CG said they re-did the matchmaking in the GAC and I am having a really hard time believing that. I am just over 8.1 million GP and I have 4 GL's at R7. In Round 1 of this current GAC my opponent was just shy of 9 million GP with all 6 GL's at R8. I won because my opponent did not set defense, so the AI set auto-defense and I was able to clear. In Round 2 my opponent has 8.3 million GP, all 6 GL's, with JML at R9 and the rest at R8. This is not improved matchmaking, it's hot garbage.

Matchmaking doesn't care about your GL's it cares about your skill rating. What was the skill rating of your opponents vs yours? I bet they were within 10 of each other. You might not LIKE the matchmaking but its working exactly as they told us it would.
    Grum the third swgoh.gg https://swgoh.gg/p/144884575/
    || Grum the Mighty swgoh.gg || OldBaldGuyGaming Youtube
  • Options
    Lol are we REALLY still talking about this? Yall know this isn't expected to even out properly for the first couple of seasons right? And this was an acknowledged part of how the new MM and rankings work?
  • Options

Matchmaking doesn't care about your GL's it cares about your skill rating. What was the skill rating of your opponents vs yours? I bet they were within 10 of each other. You might not LIKE the matchmaking but its working exactly as they told us it would.

Everyone's skill rating at the start of the bracket will be the exact same. It's why this system is hot garbage. You will always be matched with folks in your division who put the same effort you do into GAC now that crystals are in play.

I wish there was nuance to the skill rating, but everyone goes up or down the same amount after each round, based solely on the outcome (win/loss). Banners don't matter.
  • Options
    Lol are we REALLY still talking about this? Yall know this isn't expected to even out properly for the first couple of seasons right? And this was an acknowledged part of how the new MM and rankings work?

Yes we understand this.

The problem is they could have seeded the initial skill rankings 500 smarter ways than they did. Their implementation was lazy.
  • Options

Yes we understand this.

The problem is they could have seeded the initial skill rankings 500 smarter ways than they did. Their implementation was lazy.
    List them.
  • Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Yes we understand this.

List them.

1) Instead of putting all of D1 Kyber at the same skill, bracket it.

10M+
    9.8-10
    9.6-9.8
    Etc
    Rather than everyone 7.6M and up combined

2) Weight the algorithm based on having high performing characters (GLs)

3) Weight the algorithm based on lifetime banners

4) Weight the algorithm similar to HotBot gear score and mod score

Literally almost anything else than just grouping up people with 3m difference in GP
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    There are just as many problems with 2-4 as the way they did it. Maybe more.

Regardless, it will all be sorted out eventually.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

There are problems with every method.

Any method grouping people with a 3M gap in GP is by far worse.
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

There are problems with every method.

Any method grouping people with a 3M gap in GP is by far worse.

I excluded #1 from my post for a reason.
  • Options

Yes we understand this.

List them.

10M+
    9.8-10
    9.6-9.8
    Etc

Literally almost anything else than just grouping up people with 3m difference in GP
    Not even close to 50 but hyperbole aside...

1) Div 1 being flat seems a bit rough, I agree. I would suspect the reasons were population size and/or the fact that past a certain point the additional is just bloat which has no impact e.g. relic'd Tuskens and such.

2) Has similar issues as attempting to explicitly match by certain toons / ships: what is valuable and how much value it has varies by roster GP range, roster composition and new toon / ship releases

3) Lifetime banners are a combination of performance and participation and as such are not a reliable measure of performance

4) Abstract values generated by subjective algorithms which ignore the importance of mod allocation and squad dynamics not to mention player GP. Should a 1m GP and a 10m GP player with the same mod score be matched?

Total roster GP was as good of a starting point as any. There will be a significant amount of churn the first few GA brackets as actual player ability asserts itself but after that things should settle down.
  • Options

Yes we understand this.

List them.

10M+
    9.8-10
    9.6-9.8
    Etc

1) Div 1 being flat seems a bit rough, I agree. I would suspect the reasons were population size and/or the fact that past a certain point the additional is just bloat which has no impact e.g. relic'd Tuskens and such.

2) Has similar issues as attempting to explicitly match by certain toons / ships: what is valuable and how much value it has varies by roster GP range, roster composition and new toon / ship releases

3) Lifetime banners are a combination of performance and participation and as such are not a reliable measure of performance

4) Abstract values generated by subjective algorithms which ignore the importance of mod allocation and squad dynamics not to mention player GP. Should a 1m GP and a 10m GP player with the same mod score be matched?

Total roster GP was as good of a starting point as any. There will be a significant amount of churn the first few GA brackets as actual player ability asserts itself but after that things should settle down.

Total roster GP was used only in the newbie brackets.

They, inexplicably, decided not to use it for Kyber1.

• TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    No one is disagreeing about #1 in your list lol.
  • Options
    I would guess not that many players are in 7.6-10m range, so they need to include much bigger range in k1.
    Unless of course, you think that having the same 50 players or so fight each other for the next 10 seasons or so is a very good system.
  • Options
    LynxVJ wrote: »
    I would guess not that many players are in 7.6-10m range, so they need to include much bigger range in k1.
    Unless of course, you think that having the same 50 players or so fight each other for the next 10 seasons or so is a very good system.

K1 is the largest division
  • Options

I thought they stated that 20% of the population is in each league, and then the divisions were split from there, 10% being in div 1.

So that would make k1 2%. That's why the massive gp spread was there, as the tip of the spear is small but sharp in shape. Is there some data that shows k1 to be larger than this?

They might be the loudest though.
  • Options

Yes we understand this.

List them.

10M+
    9.8-10
    9.6-9.8
    Etc

Total roster GP was used only in the newbie brackets.
    Okay boomer.
    They, inexplicably, decided not to use it for Kyber1.
    I just suggested a couple of potential reasons.

By GP range perhaps. By population? I'm gonna need to see evidence to back that up.
  • Options

And it's working pretty favorably for me.
  • Options

Everyone's skill rating at the start of the bracket will be the exact same. It's why this system is hot garbage. You will always be matched with folks in your division who put the same effort you do into GAC now that crystals are in play.

I wish there was nuance to the skill rating, but everyone goes up or down the same amount after each round, based solely on the outcome (win/loss). Banners don't matter.

Not true. The amount of increase or decrease to Skill Rating also involves what your opponent's Skill Rating was. From the Q&A: "We are using a modern bayesian matchmaking system, similar to those used by other modern competitive games. The Skill Ratings of both you and your opponent are taken into account in addition to the Win/Loss factor." If you look through the rankings, you'll see people with 1-3 points difference in Skill Ratings from other people. It's a small impact on the points from an individual round but eventually people will start to separate more in terms of their Skill Ratings. Unless you're at the very top of the pack, if you win more than you lose, then also you'll eventually start playing people who have dropped down in Skill Rating and vice-versa. So you won't always be matched up with people that put in the same effort that you do...that's just incorrect.
  • Options

Not true. The amount of increase or decrease to Skill Rating also involves what your opponent's Skill Rating was. From the Q&A: "We are using a modern bayesian matchmaking system, similar to those used by other modern competitive games. The Skill Ratings of both you and your opponent are taken into account in addition to the Win/Loss factor." If you look through the rankings, you'll see people with 1-3 points difference in Skill Ratings from other people. It's a small impact on the points from an individual round but eventually people will start to separate more in terms of their Skill Ratings. Unless you're at the very top of the pack, if you win more than you lose, then also you'll eventually start playing people who have dropped down in Skill Rating and vice-versa. So you won't always be matched up with people that put in the same effort that you do...that's just incorrect.

Literally everyone on my bracket in Week 3 has the exact skill rating - 3891. Everyone went 2-1 in each week, losing the same rounds (3 in week 1, 2 in week 2).

I'd love to see any proof that someone has a bracket where someone is in a bracket with anyone else that has a skill rating difference.
  • Options
    My bracket all have the same skill rating (3891) and our ranks are 1770-1777 in Kyber 1.
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    Same thing here, same rating and consecutive ranks.
  • Options
    I'm 3804, having gone 6-0 and started at 3561 (kyber D1 7.5mil gp). I am now facing some people that started 3810 and went 3-3. So, no, you won't always face people that did exactly as well as you.
  • thedrjojo
    955 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    hb5dblzbma6s.jpg
    b3pf4n2wkbzp.jpg

Mine and my opponents curves. Apparently 1-2 then 2-1 would get him to drop those 6pts

It's also a mismatchu5silj4dq0bk.jpg
  • Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »
    I'm 3804, having gone 6-0 and started at 3561 (kyber D1 7.5mil gp). I am now facing some people that started 3810 and went 3-3. So, no, you won't always face people that did exactly as well as you.

Interesting. You're rising, opponent is falling. So, basically, your paths are crossing due to skill rating matching at this moment.

If you start at the max SR, then, yes, you will fight folks with the same results as you. Every time.

The ranks in your subsequent screenshot further prove my point. There is no "matchmaking." They are literally sectioning off groups of 8 based on standings after each week.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

It will eventually. The system needs time to settle in:
    [...] Yall know this isn't expected to even out properly for the first couple of seasons right? And this was an acknowledged part of how the new MM and rankings work?

• Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    I’m over 9 mil GP. I have a few in gac that have 7.9 mil GP
    Now I hate GAC and never play. My legacy championship Points are 500 000.
    The others are 900-1mil. So they have double the experience then me in gac.
    This system is so those people and myself play each other so it balances out. Sure I have more in the tank but they know way more teams and counters and will beat me until I eventually learn to play better in gac. Then I won’t see them much anymore because I will move up and face what they faced. Higher GP but probably don’t care players and I’ll be the little fish.
  • Options

Interesting. You're rising, opponent is falling. So, basically, your paths are crossing due to skill rating matching at this moment.

If you start at the max SR, then, yes, you will fight folks with the same results as you. Every time.

The ranks in your subsequent screenshot further prove my point. There is no "matchmaking." They are literally sectioning off groups of 8 based on standings after each week.

Matchmaking is based on skills ranking. We are matched on our skills ranking. It's working exactly as described
  • Options

Yes. It would be more appropriate to refer to it as "Ladder Pools" or such instead of matchmaking since they aren't trying to make FAIR matches, they are allowing the ELO/Skill Rating to determine that which it currently doesn't.

All you have right now is an opponent with a similar skill rating as you in your pool.

Grum the third swgoh.gg https://swgoh.gg/p/144884575/
    || Grum the Mighty swgoh.gg || OldBaldGuyGaming Youtube
  • Options
    Please fix matchmaking and the turn meter bugs in gac. You need to take into account number of gls. This gac is just whoever's paid more money wins...