GAC, 2.5 mil difference against opponent

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Yes this kind of gap will seem unfair, but the only way these 2 players are meeting is because one is doing really bad, or one is doing really good.

If you are in this match up, you should be able to get a feel for which scenario caused this.

A player doing bad has been loosing even with 6 GLs, so talking about the 2v6 doesnt seem to have had an effect before this matchup.

The new system doesnt account for GP, it matters how you and your opponents do. It is quite possible you will destroy the player you are facing.

There are currently no plans to complicate matchmaking due to GP or GL count, as players will move up or down on their win record system.
  • scuba
    14086 posts Member
    Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Your skill rating is the same, therefore it’s a fair fight by the conditions of GAC matchmaking

Yet it has been proven that skill rating needs adjustments to prevent mismatches such as these.

When and how was this proven?

Do you think that it’s ok to have such huge GP gaps? You think it’s fair for people to go 5 GL vs 1? To have such big differences in relics, +25 mods, etc.

That’s how it’s been proven it’s still needs adjusting and with their bone headed move to up fleets from 2 to 3 in Kyber, it’s going to get more important for them to adjust things

I mean I hate that they added another fleet, but adding more defense team and thus more offense teams will kind of add a gp requirement artificially.
    Reading many of these complaints seems people want to get the same rewards or better as the larger accounts without having the larger account.

I still don't like GAC and this new match making is thousand times better.

I am on the other end getting beat by smaller accounts regularly, and I could personally care less. Good on them for the win.
  • Rius
    372 posts Member
    Options
    Your skill rating is the same, therefore it’s a fair fight by the conditions of GAC matchmaking

Yet it has been proven that skill rating needs adjustments to prevent mismatches such as these.

Do you think that it’s ok to have such huge GP gaps? You think it’s fair for people to go 5 GL vs 1? To have such big differences in relics, +25 mods, etc.

That’s how it’s been proven it’s still needs adjusting and with their bone headed move to up fleets from 2 to 3 in Kyber, it’s going to get more important for them to adjust things

If they have the same skill rating then yes. My 3M roster can beat a 5M with a GL. And I do not have a GL. I win by how I levelled up my roster, by investing heavily in fleets and mods. I have a good strategy for under-dogging.

Key things to note are what mods they have for instance if you have a good team which steals turn meter or stuns like imperials and empire then you can massively underdog with full banners before they even take a turn. A purple squad can destroy a relic squad just by being faster.

In terms of adapting a roster to this game mode, it’s up to you if that’s worth investment. But if you don’t invest in useful teams to continue to underdog don’t expect to continue to get rewards greater than your GP would suggest you deserve.

I think skill rating is fair and simple. However if people continue to moan about these match ups then what is it you want CG to do? Should they put a GP threshold on promotions to prevent you rising too high and coming into contact with these rosters? To prevent you struggling for squads. Would that not limit gains from daily crystals? Surely you don’t expect to have equal crystals to someone who has a harder match up because they have a higher GP?

• Mohrg
    202 posts Member
    Options
    Just went 2-1 with my alt at 1.75mgp, the 3 opponents were 4.6m, 5.4m and 6.8mgp.
    Also I have no GLS.
  • Options
    One fundamental fact about gac: one person goes 3:0 and, one goes 0:3. Never see the person complaining about unfair matches when they go 3:0 three times in a row- just the time they go 0:3.
  • Options
    One fundamental fact about gac: one person goes 3:0 and, one goes 0:3. Never see the person complaining about unfair matches when they go 3:0 three times in a row- just the time they go 0:3.

a few people have said they feel bad about the mismatch in the other direction
    hello
  • scuba
    14086 posts Member
    Options
    Rius wrote: »

If they have the same skill rating then yes. My 3M roster can beat a 5M with a GL. And I do not have a GL. I win by how I levelled up my roster, by investing heavily in fleets and mods. I have a good strategy for under-dogging.

Key things to note are what mods they have for instance if you have a good team which steals turn meter or stuns like imperials and empire then you can massively underdog with full banners before they even take a turn. A purple squad can destroy a relic squad just by being faster.

In terms of adapting a roster to this game mode, it’s up to you if that’s worth investment. But if you don’t invest in useful teams to continue to underdog don’t expect to continue to get rewards greater than your GP would suggest you deserve.

I think skill rating is fair and simple. However if people continue to moan about these match ups then what is it you want CG to do? Should they put a GP threshold on promotions to prevent you rising too high and coming into contact with these rosters? To prevent you struggling for squads. Would that not limit gains from daily crystals? Surely you don’t expect to have equal crystals to someone who has a harder match up because they have a higher GP?

That is exactly what a lot of people expect.

I love the new matchmaking. No longer "penalized" for growing your roster.
  • Options

Remember when galactic challenge just released? Ppl complaining about they need certain team to get the red box, but ignore the fact that they are on easy mode at some feats with darth malak.
  • Options
    Phoenixeon wrote: »

Remember when galactic challenge just released? Ppl complaining about they need certain team to get the red box, but ignore the fact that they are on easy mode at some feats with darth malak.

I think most people were complaining the events required R5 of a team to get max rewards when it was easily beatable with G12s.

That and people complaining loudly that HK-47 wasn’t working for their All Sith feat.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, I tracked down OP's match. He lost, but it looked like a winnable match. He got stuck on a solo LV, if he had a plan to clear that he probably would have won. Meanwhile, his opponent lost fights vs Padme, Ewoks, Mon Mothma, Nute/Dooku, Home One (never cleared a fleet, his comps were awful), and finally got stuck on GG after clearing 7 of 11 squads and 0 fleets, using a 9.5m GP roster vs a no-GL defense.

OP also failed to mention he got stomped in the previous match vs an opponent with 1m GP less than him.

https://swgoh.gg/p/115448552/gac-history/?gac=96&r=2&a=d
  • scuba
    14086 posts Member
    Options
    Keydash1 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, I tracked down OP's match. He lost, but it looked like a winnable match. He got stuck on a solo LV, if he had a plan to clear that he probably would have won. Meanwhile, his opponent lost fights vs Padme, Ewoks, Mon Mothma, Nute/Dooku, Home One (never cleared a fleet, his comps were awful), and finally got stuck on GG after clearing 7 of 11 squads and 0 fleets, using a 9.5m GP roster vs a no-GL defense.

OP also failed to mention he got stomped in the previous match vs an opponent with 1m GP less than him.

https://swgoh.gg/p/115448552/gac-history/?gac=96&r=2&a=d

That can't be true, because higher GP means a win and there should be GP brackets and ...... ;);)
  • Engage
    267 posts Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    The new system sucks. Great way to keep the game fun and enjoyable CG. When I have 0 GL and no way of countering someone with 3+GLs there's a huge problem and skill ain't it.
  • Looooki
    1045 posts Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I think by now if u are facing gaints (2 mil and above and GL disadvantage) there is really only 2 things u can do

- Work towards more GL
    - Develope GL counters

I know people hate these answers, but if u are fighting 2 mil and above opponent, it means u are very good in ur bracket.

So fight smarter, not harder. See what is ur game plan and long term goals and what short term goals get you there.

Example doing LV is almost half the requirements for SEE.

TLDR ?
    Accept it and move on. It is not gonna change.
  • Artumas
    324 posts Member
    Options
    ....So, back here, again, to offer some personal experience and input.

I'm at 6.3M,closing fast on 6.4M.
    I have 1 GL, Executor, CAT.
    I'm getting close to JMK, and should be able to grab JMK, JKL, JML and Starkiller by the end of the year, pretty easily. So while my GL count currently sucks for my GP, that'll change soon, and honestly, I find the rest of my roster does a lot more anyway.

While I usually lose against the people in the 7.5-9M range that I face, it's usually close and generally largely boils down to a couple point differences, generally caused by me not having my CLS team at high relics yet and thus needing to 2-team certain defenses I otherwise wouldn't.

The notable defensive victories I've had in recent-ish months, are...
    Padme + CAT holding against multiple SLKR teams, DR somehow timing out a JML team (Legitimately have no clue what happened in this fight), Geos eating 2 different opponent's entire rosters (No, seriously, I've had 2 different opponents in the past like 4 months spend 5+ teams against my geos. One didn't even clear them.), my fully sub-G12 mon mothma team holding against about 70% of my opponents for at least 1 battle, and my Executor holding for between 3 and 5 battles about 80% of the time.

I have a defense-oriented GL, that I use for offense, because pretty much every single one of my opponents has more GLs than me, but often only set 1 or 2 on defense.

The reasons my opponents lose: Having 4+ GLs vs a 1 GL roster and only setting 0-2 GLs on defense. I legitimately have no clue why this happens as much as it does, but I fairly regularly get people with 7M+ GP and 4+ GLs that set literally zero GLs on defense and then lose to me low-manning their entire defense. If you're doing this, stop doing it. You'll win more.
    Treating New!GAC like Old!GAC. Honestly, this is probably why these people are setting zero GLs on defense, but SO many people go offense-heavy against inferior rosters when they really don't need to, because you just need literally 1 banner to win and winning by 1 banner or 1000 doesn't change anything.
    Using terrible defenses instead of good defenses.
    If you're one of these like 50 people I've faced in GAC that set SEE on defense, THAT is why you're losing.
    I can't emphasize how baffling some of the defenses I encounter are. People at 7M GP 4 GLs that set 1 GL on defense and that GL is SEE, the only one you can reliably 2-team without any dedicated counters and a literally standard CLS team at high relics can potentially 1-round.
    Setting stuff like BHs, Ewoks, Geos and other various extremely easily countered and low-manned teams on defense when your roster is by far deep enough not to need to.
    Set REAL defenses, people. When we're talking massive "unfair" GP mismatches like this we're rarely talking about K1. Defenses matter.

And... not knowing matchups at all.
    The biggest reason I beat the majority of my opponents is simply game knowledge.
    Those people that had their entire roster eaten by geos? One of them used a full relic Padme team against a G12/relic GBA geo team. Zero kills. Time out.
    Because Padme is NOT a good geo counter team.

Learn your matchups, and have dedicated counters for your standard defensive teams that you encounter at your matchmaking range. And have priority. If your main priority for CLS is SEE, then use him against SEE first, then maybe other GLs, then GAS, then other teams you'd use CLS for. Don't throw your CLS at the front wall that has none of the teams you'd use CLS for when you have other dedicated counter teams for the teams that ARE in the front wall.

And lastly...
    You will lose.
    Accept that.

You're not going to have a 100% win rate.
    You're not going to have a 75% win rate.
    Most likely, it'll be in the 40-60% range.
    And that's perfectly fine.

You won't be able to win every match against every opponent.
    But you should still try your best, because you never know, your opponent might just be really really bad and throw the match.
    So don't throw them throwing by being bad yourself.

There's a LOT of tools and resources for discovering and learning PVP matchups in this game.
    Use them. Improve. Win.
  • Kathark
    59 posts Member
    Options
    Artumas wrote: »

I'm getting close to JMK, and should be able to grab JMK, JKL, JML and Starkiller by the end of the year, pretty easily. So while my GL count currently sucks for my GP, that'll change soon, and honestly, I find the rest of my roster does a lot more anyway.

While I usually lose against the people in the 7.5-9M range that I face, it's usually close and generally largely boils down to a couple point differences, generally caused by me not having my CLS team at high relics yet and thus needing to 2-team certain defenses I otherwise wouldn't.

Padme + CAT holding against multiple SLKR teams, DR somehow timing out a JML team (Legitimately have no clue what happened in this fight), Geos eating 2 different opponent's entire rosters (No, seriously, I've had 2 different opponents in the past like 4 months spend 5+ teams against my geos. One didn't even clear them.), my fully sub-G12 mon mothma team holding against about 70% of my opponents for at least 1 battle, and my Executor holding for between 3 and 5 battles about 80% of the time.

I have a defense-oriented GL, that I use for offense, because pretty much every single one of my opponents has more GLs than me, but often only set 1 or 2 on defense.

The reasons my opponents lose: Having 4+ GLs vs a 1 GL roster and only setting 0-2 GLs on defense. I legitimately have no clue why this happens as much as it does, but I fairly regularly get people with 7M+ GP and 4+ GLs that set literally zero GLs on defense and then lose to me low-manning their entire defense. If you're doing this, stop doing it. You'll win more.
    Treating New!GAC like Old!GAC. Honestly, this is probably why these people are setting zero GLs on defense, but SO many people go offense-heavy against inferior rosters when they really don't need to, because you just need literally 1 banner to win and winning by 1 banner or 1000 doesn't change anything.
    If you're one of these like 50 people I've faced in GAC that set SEE on defense, THAT is why you're losing.
    I can't emphasize how baffling some of the defenses I encounter are. People at 7M GP 4 GLs that set 1 GL on defense and that GL is SEE, the only one you can reliably 2-team without any dedicated counters and a literally standard CLS team at high relics can potentially 1-round.
    Setting stuff like BHs, Ewoks, Geos and other various extremely easily countered and low-manned teams on defense when your roster is by far deep enough not to need to.
    Set REAL defenses, people. When we're talking massive "unfair" GP mismatches like this we're rarely talking about K1. Defenses matter.

The biggest reason I beat the majority of my opponents is simply game knowledge.
    Those people that had their entire roster eaten by geos? One of them used a full relic Padme team against a G12/relic GBA geo team. Zero kills. Time out.

Learn your matchups, and have dedicated counters for your standard defensive teams that you encounter at your matchmaking range. And have priority. If your main priority for CLS is SEE, then use him against SEE first, then maybe other GLs, then GAS, then other teams you'd use CLS for. Don't throw your CLS at the front wall that has none of the teams you'd use CLS for when you have other dedicated counter teams for the teams that ARE in the front wall.

And lastly...
    You will lose.
    Accept that.

But you should still try your best, because you never know, your opponent might just be really really bad and throw the match.

There's a LOT of tools and resources for discovering and learning PVP matchups in this game.
    Use them. Improve. Win.

As far as I can tell everything you say above is valid… at high levels. The choices in development and play style between a 4 and 6M player are viable areas to explore and “git good”. Sadly down in carbonite, my 1.2 M 4z, 0r account is coming up against 2-4M multi relic teams. There are no counters, no clever strategies, no superior mod sets that can make me competitive, let alone win. Sometimes I face a close match and that does inspire me to see the holes in my roster (I need a Geo counter for example). But mostly it’s a drag. And I’m not facing these rosters because “I’m so good and they are bad”. It’s cause they don’t play often and I win by default. It’s a mess down at the bottom, and a GP % range enforced on brackets would do wonders to make it fun, and lead to the exact deeper learning and enhancement that you describe.
  • Options

Kathark wrote: »

And lastly...
    You will lose.
    Accept that.

Use them. Improve. Win.

As far as I can tell everything you say above is valid… at high levels. The choices in development and play style between a 4 and 6M player are viable areas to explore and “git good”. Sadly down in carbonite, my 1.2 M 4z, 0r account is coming up against 2-4M multi relic teams. There are no counters, no clever strategies, no superior mod sets that can make me competitive, let alone win. Sometimes I face a close match and that does inspire me to see the holes in my roster (I need a Geo counter for example). But mostly it’s a drag. And I’m not facing these rosters because “I’m so good and they are bad”. It’s cause they don’t play often and I win by default. It’s a mess down at the bottom, and a GP % range enforced on brackets would do wonders to make it fun, and lead to the exact deeper learning and enhancement that you describe.

You'll win and will not face them again. Hopefully they'll stay at the bottom sooner than later and the real fun will begin.
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »

And lastly...
    You will lose.
    Accept that.

Use them. Improve. Win.

You'll win and will not face them again. Hopefully they'll stay at the bottom sooner than later and the real fun will begin.

Sadly there’s a hundred like them right behind. It’s a hailstorm of falling accounts that don’t care about GAC but sign up to keep the pittance of crystals flowing. Then every once and a while they play and crush me. This is why a GP based bracket down here would work. Let the high GP accounts be forced to play each other. That way half of they will be forced to win and move up out of the bottom. I’d love to see stats on the GP ranges in every SR bucket in carbonite.
  • Options
    I'm 100% for the current GAC, I thnk it's a great change. Kathark may have a point though. It's not so much about winning or losing here, but facing big accounts autofilled.

Can we have a look? What's your ally code?

• Starslayer
    2420 posts Member
    Options

And lastly...
    You will lose.
    Accept that.

Use them. Improve. Win.

Sadly there’s a hundred like them right behind. It’s a hailstorm of falling accounts that don’t care about GAC but sign up to keep the pittance of crystals flowing. Then every once and a while they play and crush me. This is why a GP based bracket down here would work. Let the high GP accounts be forced to play each other. That way half of they will be forced to win and move up out of the bottom. I’d love to see stats on the GP ranges in every SR bucket in carbonite.

If it’s a big cloud it could take some time, but as they’re inactive, you’ll pass through… eventually. A gp bracket will demotivate players to improve their roster, so i don’t think it’s an option. Hopefully they’ll figure something out if it’s not anecdotal and the journey through mostly inactive players is indeed a long one, because it doesn’t seem a lot of fun.
  • Options

And lastly...
    You will lose.
    Accept that.

Use them. Improve. Win.

If it’s a big cloud it could take some time, but as they’re inactive, you’ll pass through… eventually. A gp bracket will demotivate players to improve their roster, so i don’t think it’s an option. Hopefully they’ll figure something out if it’s not anecdotal and the journey through mostly inactive players is indeed a long one, because it doesn’t seem a lot of fun.

Since folks asked. Here is my last GAC bracket. GP range was 800K to 4M. The 800K account went 3-0 against ops who never attacked. I went 1-2, the only win against a non attacker. Same guy attacked me who didn’t attack the low acct. GAC before that I went 0-3. Which should give me “easier” matches. Nope. There are about 40k folks in Carbonite4. Surely making competitive matches should be possible.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/854738774/gac-bracket/
    Ally code 854-738-774
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

And lastly...
    You will lose.
    Accept that.

Use them. Improve. Win.

Since folks asked. Here is my last GAC bracket. GP range was 800K to 4M. The 800K account went 3-0 against ops who never attacked. I went 1-2, the only win against a non attacker. Same guy attacked me who didn’t attack the low acct. GAC before that I went 0-3. Which should give me “easier” matches. Nope. There are about 40k folks in Carbonite4. Surely making competitive matches should be possible.
    Ally code 854-738-774

You won 5/12 in the most recent season - and a couple of your losses could have been wins instead. MM is not all bad.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »

And lastly...
    You will lose.
    Accept that.

Use them. Improve. Win.

Ally code 854-738-774

You won 5/12 in the most recent season - and a couple of your losses could have been wins instead. MM is not all bad.

Oh not all bad for sure. There are one or two good matches in that series where we both played and I could have won with a different squad etc. it’s just no fun wading through all of the “unwinnable” matches. I’d love it if every match was competitive and I had to really learn my squads and mods and every win or loss improved my game. It seems like this should be possible given the wealth of data available to CG and the number of players, but the system is “broken” in that it produces all these bad matches as well as good ones. If it happened once a bracket I might let it go. But it’s clearly more. I still blame the tie to crystal income. It means there are a ton of players who don’t like or care about GAC who get in the pool anyway and mess it up for the rest of us. Again, this is particularly bad in carbonite. I can’t even relate to the folks complaining about relative GL counts etc. That might be “broken” too, but clearly we need different algorithms at different tiers. It’s not even the same game down here.
  • Options
    I think your theory is a concern. If you're in Carbonite 5 what happens when all these big accounts hit the mud at the bottom. What do new players entering GAC encounter?

I checked your last 2 GACs and all bar 1 you had competitive match ups. You are punching up every match even though you're on a massive losing curve though......That's not good for morale.

What happens when bigger fish pass through? Then they're not even nice match ups....hmmmm.

Small accounts moving up and complaining is just whine. Too many large accounts hitting the very bottom is a problem, you're right. Not for results, but for playability.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    I think your theory is a concern. If you're in Carbonite 5 what happens when all these big accounts hit the mud at the bottom. What do new players entering GAC encounter?

I checked your last 2 GACs and all bar 1 you had competitive match ups. You are punching up every match even though you're on a massive losing curve though......That's not good for morale.

What happens when bigger fish pass through? Then they're not even nice match ups....hmmmm.

Small accounts moving up and complaining is just whine. Too many large accounts hitting the very bottom is a problem, you're right. Not for results, but for playability.

In order for those large accounts to hit the bottom, they should be very rarely playing their matches. For the player on the other end this makes for a win but also a very boring match. Well, the community wanted an elo system endlessly and here it is with all the outcomes. Do we really expect cg to filter no-shows and try to match them against eachother?
  • Options
    I suggested that SR be split into two. One works like current SR, and is used for reward calculation. So if you don't play your rewards will suffer. The other one changes only when a player has played, and is used for matchmaking only. So for matchmaking a heavy roster can never "sink" due to inactivity.
  • Options
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    Do we really expect cg to filter no-shows and try to match them against eachother?

Financially maybe yes.... Eventually a non-playing account will be ranked the same as any other non-playing account no matter what their GP.

GAC (I believe) is the most exciting part of this game. If as a new level 85 player you're in a bracket with 7 non playing accounts that you win if they don't play, lose if they even breathe on the match up that's pretty p!$$ poor advertisement of the game.

Probably stronger measures/less rewards need to be given for players not playing.

• MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    Do we really expect cg to filter no-shows and try to match them against eachother?

Financially maybe yes.... Eventually a non-playing account will be ranked the same as any other non-playing account no matter what their GP.

GAC (I believe) is the most exciting part of this game. If as a new level 85 player you're in a bracket with 7 non playing accounts that you win if they don't play, lose if they even breathe on the match up that's pretty p!$$ poor advertisement of the game.

Probably stronger measures/less rewards need to be given for players not playing.

The accounts are playing though, they have to opt in each gac week. They just choose to not attack in a round.
  • Kathark
    59 posts Member
    Options

The accounts are playing though, they have to opt in each gac week. They just choose to not attack in a round.

Yes they opt in to get the daily crystals, but don’t attack. Elsewhere in the forum I have proposed a “forfeit penalty” (like @harvestmouse was saying stiffer consequences for non attackers). Even this will only go so far to help the issue.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options

Yes they opt in to get the daily crystals, but don’t attack. Elsewhere in the forum I have proposed a “forfeit penalty” (like @harvestmouse was saying stiffer consequences for non attackers). Even this will only go so far to help the issue.

I don't think a penalty besides already losing thus forfeiting all the benefits of winning is necessary. +even if they get penalized you are already getting the benefits of winning, it's not like you will get more. You get a free win, but also a boring turn. What else do you wanna get when matched with a no show?
  • Kathark
    59 posts Member
    Options
    Aaaand first round matchup is vs a 3.4M account with an r5 wampa and more relics and 7 star toons than I can count. Queue the folks who tell me how good I am and how happy I should be that I’m punching up so far and how this person must suck and that’s why we have the same SR….. sigh. No fun.