Holiday Character Trove Pack - really CG?

Prev1
ObiDarthYoda
143 posts Member
edited December 2022
How utterly unfair it is that, by blowing 5,000 crystals on the 'Holiday Character Trove Pack,' someone can get 330 shards of a toon they already have. One of the players in my Guild fell for the pack and I feel bad because they got a toon they already have at 7 stars - and now this puts them pretty far behind - of course unless they want to spend, spend, spend.

Really CG, how hard could it be to make sure a player received something of REAL VALUE vs. a literal complete waste of 5,000 crystals? Not too hard I imagine.

Replies

• Options
    How utterly unfair it is that, by blowing 5,000 crystals on the 'Holiday Character Trove Pack,' someone can get 330 shards of a toon they already have. One of the players in my Guild fell for the pack and I feel bad because they got a toon they already have at 7 stars - and now this puts them pretty far behind - of course unless they want to spend, spend, spend.

Really CG, how hard could it be to make sure a player received something of REAL VALUE vs. a literal complete waste of 5,000 crystals? Not too hard I imagine.

I don’t see the bait and switch or how it’s unfair?

The pack literally lays out who you can get for the crystals. There are some older toons that some may have 7* with others like Boush leia and Scariff Lando maybe at 4*. Some may not have any at 7* so it’s a win no matter what. The pack is going to have better value for younger rosters. Nobody forced your guild mate to buy that pack. If they only needed 4 out of the 20 characters but chose to buy it, then they took the gamble and lost unfortunately. That’s not on CG.
  • Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

The pack literally lays out who you can get for the crystals. There are some older toons that some may have 7* with others like Boush leia and Scariff Lando maybe at 4*. Some may not have any at 7* so it’s a win no matter what. The pack is going to have better value for younger rosters. Nobody forced your guild mate to buy that pack. If they only needed 4 out of the 20 characters but chose to buy it, then they took the gamble and lost unfortunately. That’s not on CG.

Yep, you're right: no one forced the guy to waste 5,000 crystals and get taken by CG, obtaining a toon he already had. Still would have been nice for the guy if CG put some thought into this.
  • Options

Yep, you're right: no one forced the guy to waste 5,000 crystals and get taken by CG, obtaining a toon he already had. Still would have been nice for the guy if CG put some thought into this.

He didn't get 'taken' - he knew exactly what the possible outcomes were. He took a risk and it didn't work out for him. I looked at the same pack but the odds were too heavily skewed against me so I didn't risk it. As with any game of chance, the take-away here is, if you can't afford to lose it, don't risk it. Feels bad to lose 5k crystals. At least he got some shard shop currency.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options

He didn't get 'taken' - he knew exactly what the possible outcomes were. He took a risk and it didn't work out for him. I looked at the same pack but the odds were too heavily skewed against me so I didn't risk it. As with any game of chance, the take-away here is, if you can't afford to lose it, don't risk it. Feels bad to lose 5k crystals. At least he got some shard shop currency.

Different take but yep, it does spell-out the odds. Still feel bad for the guy as 5,000 crystals can buy lots of usable stuff.
  • Options
    They should really remove accelerated characters from these packs. Personally, if you're going to spend crystals/money, then stay away from gamble packs.
  • TVF
    36633 posts Member
    Options
    How utterly unfair it is that, by blowing 5,000 crystals on the 'Holiday Character Trove Pack,' someone can get 330 shards of a toon they already have.

It's not.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    JackedJedi wrote: »
    They should really remove accelerated characters from these packs. Personally, if you're going to spend crystals/money, then stay away from gamble packs.

This seems logical, if it's already a year+ old in the game then don't have them in those packs.
    Keep it to just stuff released that is still on single shards.
  • Options
    I got really lucky when I pulled Eighth Brother. I was happy to avoid any Jabba reqs since I have him already, but I was hoping for one of the Inquisitors (apart from Fifth who can be cantina farmed). That being said, I knew there was a chance at it. The last time I got one of those packs I got FO Officer. To this day, I still haven't farmed FO for SLKR lol.
  • Options
    I got really lucky when I pulled Eighth Brother. I was happy to avoid any Jabba reqs since I have him already, but I was hoping for one of the Inquisitors (apart from Fifth who can be cantina farmed). That being said, I knew there was a chance at it. The last time I got one of those packs I got FO Officer. To this day, I still haven't farmed FO for SLKR lol.
    Gotta' get going for SLKR :)
  • Options
    I'm curious how "pretty far behind" a 5,000 crystal loss puts one (albeit with a 330 shard boon in SSC). For me it's maybe a week or so.
  • Deathbringer59
    591 posts Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    idt1uxr58dgi.jpg

I've pulled these packs three times now and gotten 2/3 good results, this last was one Eighth brother. I didn't have any shards for him besides marque yet so that was plus and I can continue to farm relic mats. Last time I got Fennic Shan. I wasn't done with her but prerty close. It just finished up the farm more. The very first one I tried was a letdown but I don't remember who it was, it was some time ago but I had them 7* already
  • Options

He didn’t get taken by CG.

They laid out every character that could be pulled and that all had an equal chance to drop. They were upfront about the crystal cost. He took a calculated risk and thought it was worth the gamble. Unfortunately the RNG wasn’t on his side this time. CG deserves plenty of criticism, but this isn’t one of those times.
  • Options

Yeah I know I probably should, I just don't really like the character or FO in general so I put it off. Plus farming the SF Tie ship is so tedious lol.
  • Options

Yeah I know I probably should, I just don't really like the character or FO in general so I put it off. Plus farming the SF Tie ship is so tedious lol.

I put off SLKR for the same reasons but recently just grit my teeth and did it. Really glad I did - he's really useful.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options

I put off SLKR for the same reasons but recently just grit my teeth and did it. Really glad I did - he's really useful.
    SLKR is a great toon and the other FO toons very helpful. Omi Phasma is obnoxious in TW :)
  • Options

It is a chance pack… I feel for him I pulled a duplicate this time too. I only ever open if the odds are in my favor. This time they were and I still pulled a dupe lol
  • Options

Have to agree.

1. They should you who the available toons are. So, you know going in getting one you already had is a possibility.
    2. If you figure 80 crystals per shard is the going rate - that's 26.4K crystals to get 330 shards. Take it at 40 per shard and it's still 13.2k. They're giving you a shot a all shards for 5k. Is a gamble. The majority of their packs are gambles...for $X you get a shot at 3 of 6 of the following or 1 of 5, etc. But, they have to post odds, so technically speaking - it's gambling. They gambled and lost.

I'll give you this, last year's list the odds were in my favor and i took the risk and won. I looked at the list this year and figured at best it was a 50/50 bet and decided i'd rather not lose and passed. That's how it goes. The real bonehead option seems to be the ship version. I'm 6.5M GP so i have a lot of toons to go, but on ships? I have 4-5 that aren't 7*. Those odds are a joke for me. But, if you just got to ships, and you have 5K, it's kind of a no-brainer. One of the rare things that help the lower levels only.
  • LendersQuiz
    1169 posts Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    If CG made that pack (and similar ones) in such a way that you were guaranteed a non-7star toon (if you had any), I would buy the pack. Since, in my case, I would end up with a duplicate toon more than likely, no sale from me.
  • Options
    I took the risk and got Iden, who was still at 3*. Inquisitors would have been annoying to get because, just no.
  • Options
    I took the risk the last time this was out and I got iden as well but she was 7*.
    Was hoping for some Jabba reqs but it didn’t happen. Plenty of SSC as a consolation tho
  • Options
    I used some of my stash and got sortie. I only had the shards from the marquee. Not the best toon in the world, but I didn't want to farm it.
  • Options
    I took the risk and got Iden, who was still at 3*. Inquisitors would have been annoying to get because, just no.

I had a 75% chance to get a character I don't have at 7*. I got 5th brother... didn't want Inquisitors but at least it wasn't a toon I already had 😅
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Options
  • Options
    Zaph0dd wrote: »
    It was worth it

For you yes, for me, not a chance.

9mymemkgkz9k.png
  • Options
    I used to complain that the pack buys were and still are a form of gambling but they do give you the % drops now and if someone buys these packs then on their own head be it.

Just because you 'expect' value dont expect it to be given. Use crystals wisely and when you know you spend x crystals for y shards.

For instance, ingame buys for crystals were normal prices but EA webstore was giving free daily gifts and 25% extra. (Does this mean an intended split from CG?)
  • Options
    How on earth did you get the store screen to show you which character you had at which star level?
  • Options
    Leorinle wrote: »
    How on earth did you get the store screen to show you which character you had at which star level?

I think thats his drops after buying. There is a pack probability pdf that everyone should share on their guilds discords.
  • Options

MS Paint
  • Options

MS Paint

For the win. MS paint gets it done everytime.
  • Options
    Well rats. I was hoping there was an in-game way to display that - it would be a very nice feature.