Savage vs. Han - PLEASE HELP

Prev1
Bon_El
435 posts Member
I'm moving on cause I'm tired of talking/reading about the crapdate. Unless I get real drunk later ;)

I need some help: Tomorrow I start farming someone new in Arena.
So I have a legit need for Han & like his turn meter manip but I'm totally intrigued by Savage in terms of what his future is. i.e. slow toons are more powerful. Maybe some of you data miners can answer this...
Is he going to have that AoE we see in the AGI challenge. His attack is unavoidable even if all your toons have full health. Foresight doesn't even work. Yoda's on my team for that challenge & Savage's AoE ignores his foresight. I do it on auto but have watched it closely. SO... an unavoidable AoE that takes 5 full health toons to 1% HP... hmm I want it. But is it a bug? A glitch? Something he will do after our major real update? Something we'll never get to use ourselves but just a superboss to beat in the game? Somebody's probably asked similar questions b4 but please help...
~ There is a great disturbance in the forum. ~

Replies

• Options
    It won't be like the challenge version, I can guarantee that.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • Options
    Savage doesn't have an aoe attack. Only the savage for then challenge has that. Sorry. He's pretty beastly though already. About 17k hp, hits for about 6-7k, offense and defense up and turn meter when hit, and an unavoidable smash kill when opponents are less than 25%. Slow as a board though he is
  • Options
    I'm putting my money on Han brotha man
  • Wetwurx
    193 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    His special is not AoE.

I've been using him on my arena team for about a week now. Only days away from 7*. Even at 6 he is very viable. I can't wait to see what he's like maxed.

Anyways I was debating the exact same thing you are a couple weeks ago. I went with Savage cuz I think he will be more useful post updates. And cuz I like him more.

I think both toons are perfectly viable depending on who you team them with. Just go with your gut and what you like / have fun doing and all will be good.
  • Wetwurx
    193 posts Member
    Options
    Btw that AoE you refer to in the challenge is only in that challenge. The actual Savage doesn't have that special.
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    Options
    you should read up on the current savage thread on the forum today Savage has a serious issue with QGJ humbling blow, enough of an issue that he's a useless character atm regardless of his specs, that is unless the devs decide to change it.
  • Wetwurx
    193 posts Member
    Options
    Chef5 wrote: »
    you should read up on the current savage thread on the forum today Savage has a serious issue with QGJ humbling blow, enough of an issue that he's a useless character atm regardless of his specs, that is unless the devs decide to change it.

I haven't seen QGJ land this on my Savage yet. But I use Dooku lead so maybe he evades it most of the time. ;)
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I get Offense up first turn on Savage in GW, no one on my leader board uses savage though(at least in the top 20). I sit in the top 5 and usually get first place daily.
  • Wetwurx
    193 posts Member
    Options
    I took 2 today and first yesterday with Savage on my team both days. I think there might be one other player I see on occasion with Savage in the top ranks.

He is uncommon for sure.
  • Options
    Savage all the way. Post update his main attack gets +30% damage, his special will also give crit damage up as well as chance and his passive will give him a self heal for 2 turns.
    You will not go wrong with savage, but **** qui gon buff steal. As if he wasn't already op...
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    Options
    Savage = free arena win for me, I run a QGJ speed leader team. First move out the gate is humbling blow and then I ohko everyone after from the free savage buff.
  • Options
    Savage = free arena win for me, I run a QGJ speed leader team. First move out the gate is humbling blow and then I ohko everyone after from the free savage buff.

Yeah, qui-gon is the only toon that can remove buffs and get a huge bonus to boot. It is too much if you ask me bc that 1 toon completely negates the possibility of many other toons that would see play if it wasn't for humbling blow. Any self buff toon and taunts are so dangerous to run bc QGJ is on about every team in top ranks. It's a shame bc even if humbling blow just gave himself offense up he would still be one of the most used toons in the game.
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    Options
    I dont think there is an issue with QGJ humbling blow, I think it works fine, I think there is a problem with Savage's passive buff in response to humbling blow. Also others have reported that Yoda gets instant buffs from savage too. IMO I dont think Savage should be giving free buffs away when the initial attack occurs when there is no buff on Savage to begin with.

• Options
    Sooo many arena characters I want. I initially thought I wanted a droid team after I finished Darth Sidious (7*) who I wanted first. So I got IG-88 (7*) and HK-47 (6*) but then realized I wanted a Nightsister team. So started building Asajj (3*) and shifted over to Savage (3*) for a bit as well because I thought he was a tank and I wanted to beef up my tanking selection for the challenge and because he is tres kewl. When I realized he wasn't a tank it was around the time for information on the soon to be update for the game and so with that in mind I shifted to Han (6*), again for tanking challenge, who I will finish off before finally returning to first Asajj and then Savage.

It's going to take roughly two months to get them which is a bit sad :(. Because I like them very much as toons go. They should be good for at least GW and DS/Cantina battling. So far Asajj is probably my favourite borrowed character. Have yet to have borrowed Savage though.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Is it a bug or just the sequence of events.

Attack occurs
    SAvage gains buff
    Debuff is applied

If you changed the debuff to act first you would likely get bonuses when you killed someone with QG

Right now GQ attacks
    Charactor dies
    No debuff

Change the debuff to act first and you get offense up on kill shots.
  • Options
    Han. He's a PIA every time I face him. Can take a beating.
  • Options

I don't use QGJ in my arena team and Savage is a free win for me, too. Maybe I don't "get" him, but he seems like a mish mash of skills rather than coherent toon. He reminds me of Sid in that respect, a solid toon with not much synergy potential. There's a chance there's something I'm not seeing or a meta change could make him better, but I think Han has a lot more potential.
  • Options
    @Bon_El I posted the same thread little time ago! You can search for other threads on the search bar... if one thing I can say, the ability savage has in the challenge will never be one of savage (the one we can use obviously) abilities.
  • Irrlicht
    471 posts Member
    Options
    OP, don't start farming someone tomorrow. Wait for two weeks stockpiling Arena credits. That's the answer. You will catch up with your farming very fast since you get Arena credits for 2 purchases while you can buy 4 per day, but in two weeks you will be almost sure who is better. Right now it's just a speculation and you may do a wrong decision, wasting some credits and time.
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    Is it a bug or just the sequence of events.
    If you changed the debuff to act first you would likely get bonuses when you killed someone with QG

Right now GQ attacks
    Charactor dies
    No debuff

3 days ago I killed Lumi when she had Offence Up from Poggle with HB. My team got Offence Up.
  • SinnerWill
    370 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Han is great, that's for certain, but in arena, you'll be needing to build your team around him to make it viable on defense. Such as including RG, Ewok Elder/Old Daka for revives, Yoda or Rex for tenacity up, Ackbar as leader, etc... In doing so, you usually end up taking away from your offense and/or synergies.

Honestly, if you just slot Han in with other popular meta characters, he usually ends up getting shut-down (stunned or ability blocked) or one-shotted by high speed meta characters on defense, reducing him to a squishy initial target which could better be filled by other characters.

Even with Ackbar leading, Han still tends to get dropped before his turn by QGJ-led groups via a Yoda basic and a QGJ harmonious assault (which can take out Han on its own with crits). So... You'll really need to dabble with compositions to ensure that Han gets a turn in before dying, and in doing so you can end up making a weaker squad than you initially intended.

As for Savage, he's a BEAST, but yeah, the mechanics don't function very well for him against certain characters (Yoda's Masterstroke, QGJ's HB). Which is quite odd, really, since these 2 abilities listed don't function in the same manner against others (Chewie-led defense up procs, Biggs' evasion up proc if those skills crit).

If they fixed the mechanic to determine when Savage's buffs apply from his passive, he'll EASILY become one of the best characters in the game, but as it currently stands, employing Savage in arena is honestly an extremely early hand-out of offense up for opponents, which almost always spells defeat against a QGJ-led squad that's attacking you. Honestly, I'm surprised you hold your rank so well on your server despite fielding him, and the only explanation for it that I can think of is that perhaps your server doesn't yet understand that QGJ can just HB your Savage on his very first turn and grant offense up to his entire squad - even when Savage is yet to be attacked.
  • bbmiLo
    378 posts Member
    Options
    I am farming Savage over Han. Already using him at 4* gear 7 for fun in GW. Han is got good TM manipulation, but seriously you have no room for him on arena team, everyone else, Dooku, Rey, GS, RG, QGJ, Yoda ... shall get the spot before Han.
  • Bon_El
    435 posts Member
    Options

I read up on this & I'm choosing to believe it's something that will be fixed eventually. Agree that QGJ & Yoda shouldn't be able to take something that's not there when the attack is initiated. I've faced him w/my Yoda & seen it happen. @Greg1920 Why couldn't the gained buff be the last thing in the sequence with a simple 'if/then' on the steal? QGJ atks, if buff exists he removes & gains offense up. If Savage is still alive, then he gains his buffs.
    @Wetwurx I know he doesn't have the AoE now but was wondering if he'll have it like lvl 90 or after @50 new shiny gold ability mats that we can't see yet?? @jeremyj26 I think you guys are probably right that he'll never have it but what if we're wrong?? Drool...
    As I mentioned in the OP I have a legit need for Han ( @Suppahotfire appreciate the comment bro) Savage is a want not a need so I'll max Han 1st with Savage on deck. I should still have time to max Savage b4 we make it to 90 (if I'm even still playing ofc). I borrow a Han occasionally & his kit is a missing link for a couple teams I've got but Savage is next unless they add somebody I can't resist to Arena.

Really appreciate all your comments guys - thank you!
  • Options
    Savage has an extreme amount of damage when he uses his special move he can nearly one shot people but if u get Han he has a lot of health but attck isn't that good
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Han is less of a liability, currently.

TM manipulation is the new expected meta.

Taunt is always useful.
  • Options
    I target teams with Savage. Please keep putting him in your Arena lineup everyone. He's easy to deal with, just let him stand there and then burn him down at the end. Now, if he had a taunt, that'd be a different story.

Han is slightly more problematic. You do have to deal with him sooner rather than later. Either stun or ability block. Plus, turn meter manipulation is always helpful.
  • Oootini
    636 posts Member
    Options
    I can talk from a 6* gear 8 han(soon to e 7*).

He is essential to my build. I don't really run a speed dps team beside QGj (and only very very recently added dooku to my line up).

I have dooku lead, QGJ, lumi, Han and phasma.

What happens is dooku and QGJ go, and then I think Han can taunt giving TM. That leave a phasma to go straight after meaning another 40%TM so basically dooku and QGJ can go again. Lumi can drop a heal if needed. By then it's probably 5v3 or worst case 5v4. You've basically won as Han will keeping getting hit to give TM, and your toons have advantage and maybe offense up from QGJ too. It's game,

I was a bit skeptical initially as he has low hp for a tank but you need to sar and gear him up asap so he can go quicker and tank more hits. Put him with anther tm manipulator or two, and you have a beastly team.

Hope this helps:)
  • Bon_El
    435 posts Member
    Options
    Sooo many arena characters I want. I initially thought I wanted a droid team after I finished Darth Sidious (7*) who I wanted first. So I got IG-88 (7*) and HK-47 (6*) but then realized I wanted a Nightsister team. So started building Asajj (3*) and shifted over to Savage (3*) for a bit as well because I thought he was a tank and I wanted to beef up my tanking selection for the challenge and because he is tres kewl. When I realized he wasn't a tank it was around the time for information on the soon to be update for the game and so with that in mind I shifted to Han (6*), again for tanking challenge, who I will finish off before finally returning to first Asajj and then Savage.

It's going to take roughly two months to get them which is a bit sad :(. Because I like them very much as toons go. They should be good for at least GW and DS/Cantina battling. So far Asajj is probably my favourite borrowed character. Have yet to have borrowed Savage though.

I went thru some similar thoughts and opted to max Poggle to lead the droids & GS so I'm ignoring HK47. If you haven't seen it already check out the thread " @Reyia's Droids Helpline " It's worth the read.
    I maxed Asajj early & she's a cool toon with a nice kit but needs some attn. AI is particularly bad with her. They took away her ability to team-heal but the AI still tries to team-heal if a teammate gets low on HP & wastes her turn. Ofc course everybody knows she's excruciatingly slow which makes no sense to her character lore. She has decent power & it's awesome that her AoE resets if you kill a toon with it. I'm a couple weeks away from a 7* Nightsister/Jedi team with Ahsoka lead. I already use it in GW & like it. Evasion is the new flavor of the month. Asajj is part of that team so I'm hoping they address her soon but not holding my breath.
  • Bon_El
    435 posts Member
    Options
    Oootini wrote: »
    I can talk from a 6* gear 8 han(soon to e 7*).

He is essential to my build. I don't really run a speed dps team beside QGj (and only very very recently added dooku to my line up).

I have dooku lead, QGJ, lumi, Han and phasma.

What happens is dooku and QGJ go, and then I think Han can taunt giving TM. That leave a phasma to go straight after meaning another 40%TM so basically dooku and QGJ can go again. Lumi can drop a heal if needed. By then it's probably 5v3 or worst case 5v4. You've basically won as Han will keeping getting hit to give TM, and your toons have advantage and maybe offense up from QGJ too. It's game,

I was a bit skeptical initially as he has low hp for a tank but you need to sar and gear him up asap so he can go quicker and tank more hits. Put him with anther tm manipulator or two, and you have a beastly team.

Hope this helps:)

I don't have Dooku cause I hate him - ha But I do have maxed Lumi & Phasma. Thank you - I like it!
  • Options
    I love ST Han. I 7* and maxed his gear last week. I have been experimenting with him with different lineups in Arena.

He is still a bit squishy for a taunting tank especially when you max his taunt to 3 turns. Luckily I am currently running Lumi and Daka with him so the two healer composition helps. He actually manipulates TM in three different ways. He adds to your own squad on his initial taunt, adds more and takes away from opponents everytime he is damaged and can also take away opponent TM at the start of each of his turns.

The bonus is he can deal surprisingly nice damage at times because of the high damage variance of his basic. I have had him crit for over 6k. We aren't talking Rey damage here but not too bad for a tank.

As far as Savage goes... I can't fairly make the comparison because I haven't powered him up. Fighting against him has never made me go "wow!" But I have screwed up and let him finish off one of my toons with his special. Don't get me wrong... He does nice damage and gets buffs everytime you hit him but he is also a big target for all the QGJ owners out there. Then again... So is Han. I see a lot of people that like Savage though.
  • Bon_El
    435 posts Member
    Options
    @Bon_El I posted the same thread little time ago! You can search for other threads on the search bar... if one thing I can say, the ability savage has in the challenge will never be one of savage (the one we can use obviously) abilities.

Yeah I searched but I have little patience for search results. If it doesn't pop up on page 1 I'm done. So uhh please forgive my Grievous error General Duke :p