How RG and QGJ dictate the meta, and why it's bad

Prev134
Sikho
1088 posts Member
Since the protection update, RG has become one of the best toon, and a necessity in most cases.
This has led to the rise of an already popular toon: QGJ.

Since everyone is running RG, QGJ has become necessary as well, because his dispell is a really strong asset.

Since no other dispeller can fulfill that role as effectively as him, thanks to his amazing utility and great damage, no other dispeller is used at the moment. (Some run Plo Koon, but he is not the best choice unless you run a clone team. That means being a whale for a 7* Rex)

You now find yourself in a situation where everyone runs QGJ and RG. To counter this, more and more people are shifting to a 2 tanks team, with STHan most of the time as a secondary tank.

So what happens? You have to dedicate 2, possibly 3 slots of your 5-man team to predefined characters.

This severely cripples diversity and creates a boring pvp environment.

When you get to choose 2 characters instead of 5, doesn't that mean that there's a problem with the meta?

This needs to be changed, and here is what should be done:

Dispell should not remove taunts anymore.
Yes, it sounds crazy. But think about this: if your taunt can't be dispelled, you don't have to run 2 tanks, and this would actually help tanks become valuable, instead of just being a juicy offense up buff for the enemy team.

"But how can I counter RG if I can't dispell him????1"

Well the answer is simple: You can't. Which is why he needs to be tuned, and dare I say, nerfed!

RG should not be allowed to taunt for 2 turns after his taunt expires. This would provide you with a window of opportunity to take down core characters.
RG would still be reliable thanks to his out of turn taunt, but it would not be the dominant strategy: Remember that other taunters would not be dispelled.

ST Han would probably need some tuning too, probably a 2-turn taunt instead of 3.

Replies

• hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Options
    I'd say ST Han is squishy enough to stay as is. But this is actually a really cool idea. I like this a lot, especially combined with the 'cooldown' on RG.

Might lead to some more play from other tanks as well.

While we're on the subject - any chance e could get more than one lonely hard node for Hoth rebel soldier shards?
  • Sarryen
    474 posts Member
    Options
    The answer is Teebo! Tank and taunt remover....

I agree that RG having a cooldown on his taunt would save a lot of OP issues.

However, the new PTP/PTW meta is already moving on - Sun Fac can easily overcome RG.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    Hmm this is not a good idea.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Old_Tallen
    385 posts Member
    Options
    Doesn't the Gamorrean destroy RG?
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Options
    Sarryen wrote: »
    The answer is Teebo! Tank and taunt remover....

I agree that RG having a cooldown on his taunt would save a lot of OP issues.

However, the new PTP/PTW meta is already moving on - Sun Fac can easily overcome RG.
    Yeah if Pac Sun ever becomes widely available tanks will literally be worthless and we'll be back to DPS zergfest. Hooray.
  • Options
    A better solution I'd like to see is RG being unable to taunt while stunned or ability blocked. No cooldown necessary.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    There's a thing called Sun Fac in the game now. Instead of complaining about QGJ, get him. He is cromium exclusive, but he is a counter. You are really being ridiculous. Don't judge gear 9 RG, don't judge gear x Rey until all your toons are at that level of gear. Blame disparity and the way f2p are treated if you can't gear up. Don't make unwanted and unwarranted nerf threads and certainly not now, when it costs 1700 crystals for one piece of equipment, ok?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Sikho wrote: »
    and dare I say, nerfed!

that took some cojones, to ask for a nerf. ow wait.. the forum is filled with nerf requests..

OT: The "taunt meta" just came in to play after protection was introduced. I guess you also "dared" to ask for a nerf on dooku/qgj speed meta, wich resulted in the current meta. And you will probably also dare to ask for a nerf on the next meta. i like to call it circlewhining, asking for a solution wich will eventually become the problem itself. I suggest you hold off on the complaining and let the current meta settle in first. Once alot of players reach lvl80, the gold abi's are mostly unlocked and players also starred/leveled other toons the taunt thing might not even be an issue anymore.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    I have seen Mace and Ventress a lot more often lately.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Options

"But how can I counter RG if I can't dispell him????1"

Well the answer is simple: You can't. Which is why he needs to be tuned, and dare I say, nerfed!

Will you please stop begging for nerfs and instead look for ways to either buff other toons to make them more efficient or to look at actually playing strategically.

RG is actually really easy to get around if you know the damage capability of each of your toons. Knock your target down to 60-70% health and then attack someone else until you have a heavy attack that will take them out in one strike.

As others have mentioned, there are other characters beyond QGJ that can remove the taunt.
  • Canner23
    57 posts Member
    Options
    That's why I'm farming for the guard in the guild shop. I need tanks to fight the RG and QGJ combo xD
  • Big_Boss
    2326 posts Member
    Options
    QGJ is only being used so much because he was a must have in the previous meta. There are other options like Asajj, Windu, Plo and Sun Fac that can also debuff Asajj and Windu are the most reliable ones considering that sun Fac isn't farmable yet
  • Qleak
    420 posts Member
    Options
    ST Han would probably need some tuning too, probably a 2-turn taunt instead of 3.

This would actually be a buff for st han. If his taunt gets dispelled it waits all remaining taunt turns then the cooldown. So currently he may have to wait 5 turns to taunt again if dispelled.

Also he rarely survives to turn 3 anyway.
  • Big_Boss
    2326 posts Member
    Options
    RG does not need any nerfs learn how to play and better your tactics and quit the dumb nerf tantrums
  • Sathay
    16 posts Member
    Options
    I use mace and qgj so RG is a waste of a Slot in my opponents team.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    I appreciate the well thought out nerf request. So it deserves a reasonable response instead of the typical just No.

It has all the components required for consideration

Why the current character is limiting diversity
    What a fix should be
    And how that fix would improve diversity

I think the issue would be a few things
    - we don't know L80 gear X meta yet. Until it settles out over the next month no large changes should be made
    - this would be a massive shift which would cause a lot of unintended consequences that would need to be evaluated.

I do think once we hit 80 if you get consolidation of leaderboards into one or two teams the setting should change but until then we should wait and the debs should play test the idea of an undispellable taunt and see what it does to various teams.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Easily farmed toons are available to all...
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    Options
    I don't have RG I have Han instead
  • XEnVY
    29 posts Member
    Options
    Sooo...If RG is finally useful thats a bad thing?
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    @Greg1920 I don't think nerf threads should be about wanting something nerfed because you see him too often. I only made nerf threads when something literally didn't have any counters or those counters ****. QGJ isn't even that good in defense from what i've seen. Gear 9 included. RG at gear 9 yea...i hope the guy in my shard doesn't get gear 9 RG till next month, because with the team he has im ded. So what? In other teams RG at gear 9 does nothing. In my team for instance, seems everyone can beat me. And when rey/gs/qgj get to gear 9, he is prolly gonna go down even in OP team comps!
  • Options
    Great is fine as is.

Computer AI dodge is the current meta.

I find the non-RNG nature of dodge as complete Kafka. You will get the first hit in on lumi and the second then the next 4 attacks are dodge over 80 percent of the time so as she can fire her heal special. NEVER works like that for me when lumi is lead.

Way bigger issues than a stun taunt toon
  • JinSaotome
    682 posts Member
    Options
    As a RG player and someone who has to face him in the top 20 of my arena shard every group, no. He's annoying but you can DPS him first or like the posters above said whittle down your target and assist kill or aoe kill them before RG can stop you.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    To adress some of the points that were brought up:

- Sun Fac will only make things worse: He will completely remove tanks from viability. EA knows of the current meta situation and knows that a character with a dispell on his basic and a taunt/counter will be the solution. That's why they chose to make him a pay2win character.
    You will soon come to realize that my dispell change proposal reduces his impact and creates a healthier environment. It adresses this very issue of Sun Fac perfectly.
    I bet that if things don't change, we will get Sun Fac nerf threads by 1 or 2 months.

- EA should just buff other dispellers: That would only move the problem. Having a reliable dispell is too much of an asset, and people would only change from QGJ to whoever the fotm dispeller is. My change proposal eliminates this problem entirely.

- omg if u cant beat them git good and stop crying : That is NOT the issue here. I can beat QGJ and RG on a daily basis. What I am worried about is that they became almost mandatory to perform correctly in Arena. If you are okay with having 2 or 3 slots automatically taken before you build your team, that's fine. But that's still horrible game design and I am NOT okay with that. Diversity is what makes games unique and interesting. Stop trying to remove that from the game.

- You don't know what the meta will be at 80: There are some whales who are 78 and Omega'd, and they still run those 2. There is a pic on the forum that shows someone's arena shard, a launch shard, where the 3 first team are exactly the same. These people have been around for long and are whales: This only confirms that this strategy is currently the best, and offers no viable opportunity.

Now if everybody could READ THE POST and not only see "nerf qgj and rg", that would be great.
    You can't honestly look at your arena shards and tell me there is diversity.
    I own RG myself, but sometimes, you have to accept nerfs in order to make the game better in the long term.

If somebody wishes to offer constructive feedback and solid arguments, please step forward.
  • papy72
    182 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, it sounds crazy.
    You're right there.

IIRC QGJ was made easily farmable to counter Poe decks. Because Poe has a 2-turn taunt. Take away the dispel of the taunt and Poe makes a massive comeback.

• LordRath
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    Diversity is a fallacy. People will always min max, so unless all toons have the same exact skills, you will never see it.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Despite lack of diversity, innovation is still effective.

I cite Rex lead teams and Ewok teams as examples.
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    papy72 wrote: »
    Yes, it sounds crazy.
    You're right there.

IIRC QGJ was made easily farmable to counter Poe decks. Because Poe has a 2-turn taunt. Take away the dispel of the taunt and Poe makes a massive comeback.

That was before the protection update. Poe is not as strong as before, since his only move was to offer a swift victory. It's not possible anymore, not with protection.
    And now that TM reduction can be resisted, he's not as reliable as before.

So basically this change would allow people to pick Poe in the right setup, with a team built around a fast taunt but no real utility besides that. Poe would be a niche that is picked in some teams.

That's exactly what I want: Characters that have to be picked according to your team. Not cookie cutters toons that can fit everywhere.
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    Timitock wrote: »
    Despite lack of diversity, innovation is still effective.

I cite Rex lead teams and Ewok teams as examples.

Rex can't be innovation for 90% of the player base.
    Ewok teams are meh in PvP. Especially since the TM reduction resist fix.
    Their real usefulness is in PvE, raids and GW in particular.
  • senkoujin
    187 posts Member
    Options
    Opusone wrote: »
    Diversity is a fallacy. People will always min max, so unless all toons have the same exact skills, you will never see it.
    Wise words, young padawan.
    People are smart....if all characters were made with the exact same skills, people would complain about there being no diversity whatsoever other than cosmetics, and the game wouldn't be nearly as fun. People find ways around issues; when there's a will, there's a way.

When certain people discover an edge using their own free thinking and ingenuity, the ones who didn't think of it first (or is currently stuck in one method) will complain....and when the complainers discover a good counter-measure, the other party would complain. Neverending cycle; TC should accept that there will always be chaos in the world.