Chromium packs

Prev134
shh_hut_yuh_muh
106 posts Member
edited January 2016
My brother is level 37, has been playing for about two weeks and has opened maybe ten chromium packs (he's f2p), and has still not got a single character other than the generic ones everyone starts with (JC, Chewie, Talia, etc). Nor has he got any from the Bronzium packs (by the time I was his level I had got Mace Windu and Ima-Gun Di from the Bronziums, but I might have just been extremely lucky). Is everyone having the same issue with getting just shards from Chromium packs? Or can you give any advice as to what he can do to quickly get a new character? Cause he's quickly losing excitement with the game using the generic characters, he really wants a unique team!

Replies

• Options
    If you REALLY want characters from chromium, save for 8x pack. As far as I know, it guarantees at least 1 full character.
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options
    Im lvl 57 and never pulled a viable or noteable toon from bronzium. It is what it is. Its just the RNG.
  • Options
    The 8x pack will take ages for him to save for... is there any other quick option so that he doesn't give up? Cause I know it's fun when you get the characters you want and you can start moving up the leaderboard
  • Options
    I've bought 3 chromium packs. Got a character each time. Today I bought a 4x one and got a 4 star Kylo Ren. Pretty cool.
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options
    The 8x pack will take ages for him to save for... is there any other quick option so that he doesn't give up? Cause I know it's fun when you get the characters you want and you can start moving up the leaderboard

Tellhim focus on arena an GW. Thats where the best farmable reqards are anyway. You can accomplish ALOT playin free. Hang in there!!!
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Not a single character from packs? Lol, I would be loosing interest too. If that was my experience I would have already uninstalled the game.. Seriously
  • Options
    Here's the thing. Don't buy anything but a x8. Be prepared to end up with a 2* starting character as your only full character. People can come here and tell you I bought 2 or 3 packs and ended up with a couple great characters. That's irrelevant because you may, or may not get lucky too. Most likely you won't. As far as bronze packs go, you got extremely lucky. Many players here have never received anything. Just keep opening them and a good character might pop.

Tell your bro to just keep playing if he likes the game enough and not be upset about bad luck with packs. There are two types of people that get good pulls from packs. People who spend tons of cash and people who are very lucky. It's RNG, and it is what it is.
  • Options
    Okay thanks everyone :) his ally code is 259-426-165, please add him and help him get through the campaign at least until he can get a good character!
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options
    Realistically even spending tons of $ dont mean you'll get anything worthwhile tbh. I have done awesome in arena etc and have hoarded tons of crystals (bought some too) and have now opened 3x chromium 8 paks, 2x chromium 4 paks, a few singles and more bronze then i can count.

Bronze = not a single thing of note yet
    Singles = kylo ren
    4x paks = nothing of note
    8x paks = maul, windu, boba, bariss (sounds good but note that bariss an maul cant really be farmed so they are dead ends)

Over all kylo was a beast pull and boba is decent (and farmable) but thats really terrible RNG luck overall. Some are lucky'r then others. I enjoy the game and enjoy playing so it dont matter what drops for me. I farm everything i really want anyway and that more satisfying cause I worked for it w/no luck involved.
  • Options
    If you REALLY want characters from chromium, save for 8x pack. As far as I know, it guarantees at least 1 full character.

But does it guarantee you a character you don't already have? Thats my question.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • Options
    I noticed the Geonosian Soldier is farmable on cantina battle A for him, and that only needs 10 shards to unlock. I suggested he go for that, just to get another character for his dark side team (he still only has four; Talia, FO stormtrooper, Royal guard and I can't remember the last one). Would the GS be good in the long run or just one to tie him over until he gets a better hero?
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options
    jeremyj26 wrote: »

But does it guarantee you a character you don't already have? Thats my question.

No, of course not. The only guaranteed character drops are the special bundle paks containing characters (i.e. Dooku, bariss, kylo, etc)

Its RNG based so you will simply get what u get.
  • Options
    I noticed the Geonosian Soldier is farmable on cantina battle A for him, and that only needs 10 shards to unlock. I suggested he go for that, just to get another character for his dark side team (he still only has four; Talia, FO stormtrooper, Royal guard and I can't remember the last one). Would the GS be good in the long run or just one to tie him over until he gets a better hero?

I like Geonosian Soldier. Have him at 2* gear 5 lvl 46. Farming him for more stars currently. He hits pretty hard and his call assist attack is good, not too squishy. He fits well on my droid team with Poggle. Would be worth it for an extra DS character if needed, IMO...
    It's a hard life pickin stones and pullin teats, but sure as gods got sandals, it beats fighting dudes with treasure trails....
  • Options
    Abyss wrote: »
    Realistically even spending tons of $ dont mean you'll get anything worthwhile tbh. I have done awesome in arena etc and have hoarded tons of crystals (bought some too) and have now opened 3x chromium 8 paks, 2x chromium 4 paks, a few singles and more bronze then i can count.

Bronze = not a single thing of note yet
    Singles = kylo ren
    4x paks = nothing of note
    8x paks = maul, windu, boba, bariss (sounds good but note that bariss an maul cant really be farmed so they are dead ends)

Over all kylo was a beast pull and boba is decent (and farmable) but thats really terrible RNG luck overall. Some are lucky'r then others. I enjoy the game and enjoy playing so it dont matter what drops for me. I farm everything i really want anyway and that more satisfying cause I worked for it w/no luck involved.

No offense, and you did get decent pulls from your packs, but I'm talking dozens upon dozens of x8 packs. High 4 to 5 digit numbers in $

• Options
    You are better off working on GW and arena shipments.
  • Options
    tell your brother not to lose hope.
    I got 4* Mace and 4* Poogle from bronzium
    4* Anakin from single
    2* Lea and shards to make her 3 star and 4* Barris from 4 packs.
    Right now im trying saving up to buy 8 packs while staying in top 100 or top 50.

• Options
    Okay thanks everyone :) his ally code is 259-426-165, please add him and help him get through the campaign at least until he can get a good character!

Tell him I added him. I got a 7* purple quigon. Cheers.
  • Options
    Tell him I added him. I got a 7* purple quigon. Cheers.

Thanks mate! :)
  • Randall
    1001 posts Member
    Options

Yeah spend money...
  • Kaylik
    16 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Now let me be clear on this. I love the game and have purchased a couple 8x packs myself but luckily I figured out why I shouldn't(at least not with the current system) and I would like to share this with anyone who may not yet be aware.

Without the ability to access many characters through a means other than the chromium packs, it essentially renders all those characters useless unless you plan on spending hundreds, if not thousands, for a chance at them becoming viable squad members. New players tend not to realize how important it is to have access to character shards for promotion and are simply hoping to add more variety to their squad and support a game they are having fun playing. However because of the inaccessible character shards, after spending their first few dollars, players start to feel compelled to pay more because of the investment they put in rather than by the fun of the game.

Before I say more about why this is such an issue, let me be clear that I have nothing against capital games doing what earns them money. And yeah, it's the players decision to buy. But what bugs me is that the system is set up in this unecessairly exploitative way despite the fact that capital games has made a great game where people don't NEED to be schemed into paying money for . It is schemes like this that cause games to eventually be supported entirely by a subset of players who often put in way more money than they originally intended rather than a wide spectrum of happily paying players.

I'm posting about this with the hope that other players and/or capital games will take notice of where this game might be heading. This is the first mobile game I've actually thoroughly enjoyed playing and it has a legitatimate chance at making more money by keeping a larger base of players who would all love reccomending the game to a friend rather than simply warning about its exploitatively addictive properties.

These next few updates are critical in the path that this game takes and judging by how great this game already is, anything short of both player AND business satisfaction is simply a lack of creativity and/or effort. And yes, feel free to ask me about my ideas which of course I always leave open to well-thought-out improvements.
  • Options
    This game is actually fairly balanced with F2P grind characters as it is with P2P characters. Look at Lumi, Sid, Phasma, JC, Luke and others. These characters are all top notch and are completely free and can be 7 starred within a month or two. Considering the game has been out almost that long, you can see a lot of older "servers" where F2P players are kicking butt. Not to mention that Bronzium packs can drop 4 star characters as well.

Over time, and with level increases more and more characters will become available for free.
  • Options
    Agree with the OP 100%.
  • Options
    Actually...if you look around, many top pvp teams are F2P constructions. So, I would agree it is pointless to open packs at the moment. They developers did not give pack characters advantage that F2P cannot beat (sometimes easily).

If you have to spend, spend on refreshes.
  • Options
    PREACH
  • Elyndria
    482 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Actually...if you look around, many top pvp teams are F2P constructions. So, I would agree it is pointless to open packs at the moment. They developers did not give pack characters advantage that F2P cannot beat (sometimes easily).

The actual reason most teams are f2p is cause no one's dumb enough to follow the p2w model except whales who will shill out thousands.

The best characters in the game are very slowly farmed or unfarmable by normal players. Think FOTP, Qui Gon, Leia, Old Ben, Rey, Dooku, Maul, Aayla, etc.
  • Options
    Let's just say I agree to disagree.
    Many people spend for various reasons. Most do simply because they can, and have a deep love for the IP. Simply hating on them does nothing but reveal the hater, rather than the hated.

Having those characters, all I have to say is that a dedicated F2P have ways round it.
  • Options
    @Harmonica1138
    Yeah I agree with everything you said. I'm not trying to say there's a problem with the competency of the characters available to FTP players. It's rather quite the opposite, with the best squads consisting of the 2-3 good shipment character choices from each shipment and those characters which you can easily farm.
    [ side note- I've actually gotten better characters from Bronz packs(mace, baris, old daka all 4*) than I have from the 40 dollars I spent on chromium packs(grand moff 4*,cad bane 3*, leia 2*, a few ewoks and many unusable shards distributed amongst unobtainable characters).]

The problem is that unless you are a heavy spender, there's no real benefit to buying the chromium packs.

When I first starting really getting into the game, I had so much fun thinking about all the different possible squad synergies and what characters I needed to unlock in order to build them. I believe that this experience is the main appeal of the game. Although still fun, the average player eventually realizes how greatly limited they are by the impossible shard acquisition of their favorite characters. For example, no matter how bad I want darth maul I'm not getting him to 7* without spending hundreds.

One of my ideas to fix this involves creating energy-expensive or crystal priced missions to have a chance at the shards of previously p2p-only characters. In style, these missions could be like additional hard-mode missions or they could be completely new like 5v1 boss fights(imagine fighting a rancor or something epic like that with your squad). The bottom line is, if there's a certain character I want, I'm much more likely to purchase crystals if I know that it will help me toward accomplishing my goal. Implementation like either of the above will open up all characters to everyone, while maintaining and arguably increasing crystal purchases.
  • Options
    Based on my experience with other games, the moment premium characters gets accessible, the income from random packs die. At this stage of the game, I doubt the developers will want to do that. It also alienates their early paying players.
    It could happen probably 6 months down the road, and they roster the old premium characters out, and rotate in new ones. I am sure paying players hate having 2000 extra shards of Leia.
  • Elyndria
    482 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Let's just say I agree to disagree.
    Many people spend for various reasons. Most do simply because they can, and have a deep love for the IP. Simply hating on them does nothing but reveal the hater, rather than the hated.

Having those characters, all I have to say is that a dedicated F2P have ways round it.

Umm I wasn't "hating" on anyone except maybe EA's payment model for SWGoH. I get rank 1 every day on my timezone. I'd love to spend more money for a fair deal, or even be able to farm characters that are currently data card only. I'm just upset I'll never have access to 6*+ characters like Leia and Qui Gon without investing thousands.
    Every other mobile game I've played has worked like this:
    Get Lucky to Unlock Character
    Level Character to its fullest because I actually spent the money on it
    Feel incentive to pay more because I come away from the transaction with a positive attitude

Having to keep pulling the same character over and over for simply more stats is blatant gouging of customers.
    ...and I have those characters too but they're not usable at base stars.
    68747470733a2f2f6769742e696f2f3448656164
  • Options
    Elyndria wrote: »

The actual reason most teams are f2p is cause no one's dumb enough to follow the p2w model except whales who will shill out thousands.

The best characters in the game are very slowly farmed or unfarmable by normal players. Think FOTP, Qui Gon, Leia, Old Ben, Rey, Dooku, Maul, Aayla, etc.

100% agree