Credit crunch for f2p - does it ever get better?

Prev13
Sirryker
98 posts Member
Hi guys. I've been playing this game since January but am new to the forum. I'm f2p and just hit level 78. I've been suffering from credit crunch for a few levels now. For those of you who are f2p but who've been at level 80 for awhile, do we ever start to catch up? If I were to try to use all my training droids and promote every eligible character, I'd need 7.5 million credits I don't have. I've just been prioritizing the characters I like and focusing on spending my energy to get gear rather than acquire shards for new characters.

Along these lines, I've been saving my extra crystals (after I refresh squad cantina once for 100 crystals and light/dark battles twice for 50 crystals each time) to buy a furnace for my ST Han, but should I instead consider buying credits with my crystals?

Before you ask, I finish GW and all challenges everyday. I get all my bonus energy.

In case it matters, my arena team core is Phasma 7* 77 g8 (L on offense, excluded from defense), Dooku 6* (waiting for promotion to 7*) 78 g8 (L on defense, or use on offense under Phasma against Jedi teams), ST Han 7* 78 g8, Lumi 7* 77 g8, GS 6* 77 g9, and RPilot 7* 77 g8 (defense, as well as on offense if not using Dooku). I always finish top 50, rarely top 20. Dooku's basic has my only omega (maybe foolish, I don't know).

Other actively viable characters I've been developing:
Kylo 6* 76 g9 - my squad cantina energy goes here, then I'll get my GS up to 7*
QGJ 6* 76 g8
Savage 6* (waiting to promote to 7*) 67 g8
IG-86 7* 69 g7
Sid 7* 72 g8 (I clung too long lol)
Boba 7* 73 g8 (don't ask)

I've scoffed at farming current populars like Rey and RG. I've been farming Poggle from arena but not excited to waste credits on promoting/leveling him. I have Daka at 76/80 shards to unlock so I can finish the DS battles. Any advice from longstanding f2p players would be welcome. Thanks.

Replies

• slickdealer
    1802 posts Member
    Options
    No. I have 6 characters who are level 1 with 300 shards. No credits to take them to level 80 let alone to 7* them.
  • SirBoss
    38 posts Member
    Options
    Only gets worse but I'm only lvl 79. Hoping once I reach lvl cap again it will get better.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    The short answer is "No".
    They want you to buy stuff to speed it up.
  • Sirryker
    98 posts Member
    Options
    Lol so discouraging. I was hoping there would be a light at the end of this tunnel. Using energy on the "Profit Mining" credit event is a joke. I mean who at EA thought giving a measly 8,400 credits for 24 energy (25,200 credits if you're super lucky - whoop tee doo) is a viable solution?

One specific area I'm uncertain about is whether I should get Kylo to 7* or abandon ship and get my GS up to 7* instead. I went with Kylo, even though I prefer GS for arena, because the higher level squad cantina battles yield more purple ability mats (I think). Am I wrong on this?
  • LordRath
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    It's not just ftp struggling with credits.
  • Faroer
    246 posts Member
    Options
    The problem is galactic war was tuned for level 70, but never updated when lvl 80 was released
  • Ryz
    7 posts Member
    Options
    Sirryker wrote: »
    One specific area I'm uncertain about is whether I should get Kylo to 7* or abandon ship and get my GS up to 7* instead. I went with Kylo, even though I prefer GS for arena, because the higher level squad cantina battles yield more purple ability mats (I think). Am I wrong on this?

That's correct as far as I can tell - ability mat drop rates change with the cantina level. This is different from gear drops, where the rate looks like it is solely dependent on gear color.
  • Finn
    111 posts Member
    Options
    Dose it get better yes only when u stop leveling your toons and that's only will happen when u hit 80
    By my math I need 50 mil to promot and level all toons that's are 6-7* for raid simple math of adding GW/ Arena/ cantina/ Raid/ credit challenge will have it in 11-13 weeks so if cap isn't raised for 3 months I will have it by then
  • Options
    Never get better, im lvl 79 almost 80, and only a few chars are lvl 79, when i get the main 5 to lvl 80, i still have the others to come from 70 to 80 long way to go. As who to spend on, play the game your way, following Others will be no fun, and not meta now will be meta in the future, they need to keep the Wheels turning. Im working on a Empire team on the side, getting tarkin 7* this week, rg 40/100. Besides rg Empire sucks right now, but might be better in the future, and they are my favorite in the saga.
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    No
  • Options
    Faroer wrote: »
    The problem is galactic war was tuned for level 70, but never updated when lvl 80 was released

Rewards havent moved since the L60 cap.

You dont really need a massive roster in this game. If you have 20-30 7* toons you'd want say 10 at G9+ L80 then the rest you can keep at L70 or so as GW depth.

Let the whales spend 20K.

• Options
    It gets worse. Way worse. The requirements go up but the available resources stay the same.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    It gets worse. Way worse. The requirements go up but the available resources stay the same.

I'm agree with you. As for op, im lv 79 f2p and as a f2p you should manage your credit spending and it will be fine
    TNR Rey of Hope, Heroic Raid 36/50
  • Options
    For whales the credits required is even worse btw. They have more heroes to upgrade, therefore more credits required.

Poor whales. :'(
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    So no one views uses profit mining as even a partial cure? I haven't quite been desperate enough to do it yet, but I'm close.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Just don't expect to have a very deep roster as f2p. Problem solved!

You can very well maintain an arena team of 5 and 2 substitues and also hold your weight on tier 5 raids — maybe 6.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »

You can very well maintain an arena team of 5 and 2 substitues and also hold your weight on tier 5 raids — maybe 6.

Can you? When they decide to nerf f2p characters like Rey, Fives, Gs and Dooku (all that suffered nerfs in the past already). Not to mention Barriss and Poe. Everything you build up, gets torn down and most don't have the credits to make a switch to stay competetive. This coming from a dolphin turned to shrimp because of this.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Carth_Onassi1973
    1708 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @Sirryker , just keep doing what your doing. It's a grind, a slog, a trudge... We all are going through it. The most important thing is what you already said: you went after players you like. That will keep the game fun for you. It has for me.

Yes, it's frustrating not having the credits to lvl up characters. I have 4 that are getting ready to jump to either 6-7* and I don't have the credits.

What I do is just hoard. Save up resources. If you don't spend a credit for a week you can save around 5 million between GW, arena, raids, challenges and farming. I've done it. If I can do it anyone can because I have the impulse control of a 5 year old when it comes to this game.

You have an awesome team. Just save up and you'll be golden, pony boy!
  • KonEl
    72 posts Member
    Options
    CronozNL wrote: »

Can you? When they decide to nerf f2p characters like Rey, Fives, Gs and Dooku (all that suffered nerfs in the past already). Not to mention Barriss and Poe. Everything you build up, gets torn down and most don't have the credits to make a switch to stay competetive. This coming from a dolphin turned to shrimp because of this.

Woah... uh, GS, Rey, and el duche are just fine sir. Some beautiful narwhal put a picture of Dooku up on the Reddit thread with the tag "they tried to nerf me. I dodged". I'm with the spirit of your argument but lets not get crazy
  • Options
    I try to keep about 5 million credits around so I can spend them on a project character I want to try out. Just focus on your top five and you'll hoard up
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    CronozNL wrote: »

Can you? When they decide to nerf f2p characters like Rey, Fives, Gs and Dooku (all that suffered nerfs in the past already). Not to mention Barriss and Poe. Everything you build up, gets torn down and most don't have the credits to make a switch to stay competetive.
    They won't nerf them all at the same time. You'll have time to build up again in a few days unless you've spent all your surplus mats and credits on rubish charachters already. Again: Just don't expect to have a very deep roster. Spreading yourself too thin is a choice.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Just don't spend on toons which you don't use!!!!!!!! Collect their shards, yes, but don't activate them. What's the point of activate an unused toon if you are not going to use them?Save, save and save!!!!!!
    Exactly! Don't promote to 7 stars if you only use the toon for GW. Don't promote above your raid tier. Spending too much is a choice.
  • Options
    My advise: don't level up your Arena team and your strongest toons too far ahead of the rest of your toons. You'd start to struggle in GW, which is important source of credits.

As to credit crunch, even whales have same issue. We buy tons of credit packs to mitigate problem.
  • Options
    Some beautiful narwhal put a picture of Dooku up on the Reddit thread with the tag "they tried to nerf me. I dodged".

Omg this is epic. I died.

Thank you all for your responses (and encouragement, @Carth_Onassi1973 ).
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Even when you reach level cap it's still bad if you're upgrading more characters for raids, which everyone is most likely doing. I don't even want to calculate the millions I need right now to star/level characters who are just sitting there waiting their turn.

• SeaWhy
    84 posts Member
    Options
    I leveled up a toon from lvl 77 to 80 yesterday...took 809k to do it. BTW I love my Kylo, and should have him at g10 soon. Keep plugging away!
  • Options
    Opusone wrote: »
    It's not just ftp struggling with credits.

Actually the rewards we are getting are what you get at level 40
  • Hangfire
    497 posts Member
    Options
    Far, far worse.

1. Scale rewards in GW?
    2. Make GW manageable?
    3. Offer reasonable rewards in Events?
    Answers: no, the credit crunch creates the most reliable revenue stream in the game.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    So what I do to try to optimize raid/GW power while maintaining number 1 in arena is as follows.

Only 7 star toons get leveled and gear. I will start to work on someone when they hit 6 star so they are almost ready when they it 7.

Level 7 star toons to L70 gear viii.

Max out your arena team.
    Then pick one toon at a time to bring up to L80 gear ix/x.

My logic is gear is the actual crunch not credits so it doesn't make sense to have a L80 gear viii toon. You are better off with 2 L70 gear viii toons. So to maximize raid viability you only spend resources on toons that contribute to raids and only on toons that are well geared.

With this strategy im able to be competitive. So to answer your other question don't spend crystals on credits only spend crystals on gear.

It does get better once your five arena toons hit 80.

There is still a crunch and you are falling behind by 1-2 million credits a week but this at least seems to get you to the best state given the restrictions