Tanks with taunts are a joke...

Prev1
Reddplague
766 posts Member
edited January 2016
How is that TANKS have less health than non tank characters? Maybe I'm missing something does tank mean something different in this game than others? I thought a tank was suppose to have very high health to take some serious punishment. But it seams these tanks die before the job is done, lol.
Post edited by Reddplague on

Replies

• Options
    Yeah, the new focus on Poe is laughable. Using a Tank in a high level team seems to be a waste of a spot. I wishit were not so, but it seems to be the case. He flies way too quick and the AI is horrible using him. (Other tanks too, I just only seem to see a Poe these days.)

I wish I had not spent the time and mats leveling him up. :/
  • Options
    Reddplague wrote: »
    How is that TANKS have less health than non tank characters? Maybe I'm missing something does tank mean something different in this game than others? I thought a tank was suppose to have very high health to take some serious punishment. But it seams these tanks die before the job is done, lol.

True. By definition, Tanks should be able to last until the heals come. It's not the case in this game
  • Options
    mitigation means nothing, hp is all that matters, that's the problem with tanks right now

at least let their stats reflect their role
  • Options
    Elyndria wrote: »
    mitigation means nothing, hp is all that matters, that's the problem with tanks right now

at least let their stats reflect their role

^^ this for sure, they should be a dynamic we can add to flush out new strategy.

• Options
    Poe Ben combo is pretty viable. Survives 2 turns and soaks up all cc!
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    xJazzx wrote: »
    True. By definition, Tanks should be able to last until the heals come. It's not the case in this game

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/5254/the-real-problems-with-the-current-meta-too-many-consecutive-attacks-and-too-much-damage
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/5254/the-real-problems-with-the-current-meta-too-many-consecutive-attacks-and-too-much-damage

Based on this link I agree and now I must read this.
  • Options
    Boba and Kenobi both have ability block. Kenobi has a huge HP pool also. The wookie, poe, and Han have taunt and ways to negate damage. The main thing people seem to miss is that tanks do not need huge HP to do their job. Ability block, turn manipulation, and high resists also are a form of "tanking".
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »

I agree with your analysis. I give CG the benefit of doubt and that they didn't design it this way. Probably they didn't expect the whales will go so nuts and level tie pilot to 7* and gear 8 so quickly.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    BentWookie wrote: »
    Yeah, the new focus on Poe is laughable. Using a Tank in a high level team seems to be a waste of a spot. I wishit were not so, but it seems to be the case. He flies way too quick and the AI is horrible using him. (Other tanks too, I just only seem to see a Poe these days.)

I wish I had not spent the time and mats leveling him up. :/

Poe is absolutely game changing and allows teams to win the match in the first turn.
  • Options
    Hmm, I have five tanks that I do the tank missions with and even my lower level tanks have decent HP. Let's look at Kenobi as an examplee:
    • At 30% less power than my consular, he has higher resistance and armor and similar health.
    • His standard attack ups his evasion.
    • He has a crowd control (that had to be nerfed) that ability blocks for 1 turn and reduces offense for 2 turns and has a decent chance to remove turn meter.
    • His leader ability is to add to evasion for all characters (and turn boost on evade).
    • His last ability boosts all allies for several turns when he falls.

I think the purpose of the tank is to keep your party from falling fast. Kenobi does this with his crowd control and his death boosts that could seriously sadden an unsuspecting opponent. Poe and Chewbacca draw your opponent's fire. The Royal Guard adds to your team's defense. So on and so forth.
  • IM_UR_UPGRADE
    223 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Umm tanks are kind of viable especially poe and heres why, teams that have poe at high lvl pvp most times have a QGJ lead + leia and fotp. Due to QGJs ability (and poe having great speed for a tank), poe gets to go before you with his taunt which is devasting because 1 you cant focus fire fotp and 2 about 2 - 3 of your toons are exposed making it easy for fotp, QGJ or leia to kill at least 1-2 of your toons in the first turn.
    The combination of Poe, fotp, leia + any healer or ben, at max level is one of the deadlines teams because it can kill you in 1 minute and AI controls it pretty well.
    So yea Poe as a tank is not a joke.
  • Options
    Umm tanks are kind of viable especially poe and heres why, teams that have poe at high lvl pvp most times have a QGJ lead + leia and fotp. Due to QGJs ability (and poe having great speed for a tank), poe gets to go before you with his taunt which is devasting because 1 you cant focus fire fotp and 2 about 2 - 3 of your toons are exposed making it easy for fotp, QGJ or leia to kill at least 1-2 of your toons in the first turn.
    The combination of Poe, fotp, leia + any healer or ben, at max level is one of the deadlines teams because it can kill you in 1 minute and AI controls it pretty well.

Poe is a joke, unless he is with all resistant toon line up. I don't see anyone using poe in my servers top 100, in fact no tanks are being used. Its funny to even call them tanks, they get two hits out of the game. My jedi consular makes a better tank than any on the market. I seen Him eat hits like if it was snow being thrown at him, Also lumi takes it like a champ and shes a fighter. Tanks as they are now, should be called support and tanks in this game are non existent.
  • Options
    LORDLIZAMA wrote: »

Poe is a joke, unless he is with all resistant toon line up. I don't see anyone using poe in my servers top 100, in fact no tanks are being used. Its funny to even call them tanks, they get two hits out of the game. My jedi consular makes a better tank than any on the market. I seen Him eat hits like if it was snow being thrown at him, Also lumi takes it like a champ and shes a fighter. Tanks as they are now, should be called support and tanks in this game are non existent.

First you probably dont see a poe in your top 100 because people who use him probably use QGJ or phasma as lead. Secondly unless your in top 5 where you see big spenders who have a 6-7* leia, fotp or qgj, you probly havent seen poe at hus full potential. Thirdly poe is not a traditional tank to survive and last 2 turns, he is solely used as a distraction/expose so that leia, fotp and qgj can pick off at least 2 members of your team before you can even go.
    Your talking about you JC, i have a 6* fully geared JC and he drops like a fly to this team; when u actually face this team then u will understand that once poes taunt goes off, your chances of winning greatly drops.
  • IM_UR_UPGRADE
    223 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @LORDLIZAMA what level are you please because lumi does not take anything like a champ, shes pretty squishy
  • Options
    60, she is max out. Untill they open up 70.
  • Options

Poe is the ONLY viable tank with a taunt. He is super-fast, has decent health and resists most of the detrimental effects to heal himself. It's not fun when Han or Chewie can be taken out by FOTP or Leia with one shot.
  • Options
    First, I agree that tanks aren't really tanks. They would either need a ground-up mechanical overhaul or just scrap the term altogether. Support is their real role as it stands now.

In my opinion tanks in this game fill the right role. They are a very short term control/support hero. Their job isn't to take hits for the team infinitely. They exist to either control the enemy or boost your general defense/combat ability. Thus, the support title.

Han and Poe both do this quite well in different ways.

Poe is great at providing a short-term shield to a glass cannon. The expose is a welcome benefit. He also does well as a survival tank against the debuff classes due to his personal tenacity. His speed is probably his shining feature as he will act before the hardest hitters in the game. Poe is fairly well tuned as is due to a stun/ability block in the first round (Dooku) pretty much renders him ineffective, buying time to shatter the cannons.

Han brings a lot of utility with turn meter manipulation and fills a different but interesting role. I don't have him nor face him enough for more of a detailed opinion but he seems good.
  • Options
    Why must a tank have high HP? I don't understand where this thinking comes from. Armor, resists, HP, tenacity, and evasion all effect how much damage a target can take.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    It's all about damage mitigation. Making the enemy actions less efficient. Not necessarily about withstanding a lot of punishment. Fives is cool because he simply makes the enemy toons act less often. And his constant counters make sure that the enemy gets a bad exchange rate when they attack him. 2-3K damage on Fives isn't that bad with his huge HP pool, but in return he dishes out ~1,4K damage and Speed down on their attacker. Then he himself attacks for ~1,4K again, basically evening out the damage received by both heroes. He could probably outlast most cards in a 1 vs 1 duel.

Oh... That's an interesting idea. Could we have duels in this game? That would rock!
  • Options
    Asajj beats Poe, problem solved. I agree with @IM_UR_UPGRADE since we do have some Poe users on our server. With the setup he mentions it's almost always a loss, except when Asajj hits her dispell ;)
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    CronozNL wrote: »
    Asajj beats Poe, problem solved. I agree with @IM_UR_UPGRADE since we do have some Poe users on our server. With the setup he mentions it's almost always a loss, except when Asajj hits her dispell ;)

IF she hits with her dispel
  • Options
    This game is a total joke. It's all about draining money out of the player. (and the rewards for spending money is also a very expensive and not even close to a good option). If anyone gets enjoyment from this game after 4 weeks playing, either your rich and don't give 2 **** about money value. Or your a player that accepts being **** by this game everyday. Cause there is no endgame and you will be grinding and spending money with no end in sight. Thanks for this cancer of a game. Future of mobile gaming looks more like a Las Vegas one armed slot machine with absolutely no payout to you..
  • Options
    Krix wrote: »
    This game is a total joke. It's all about draining money out of the player. (and the rewards for spending money is also a very expensive and not even close to a good option). If anyone gets enjoyment from this game after 4 weeks playing, either your rich and don't give 2 **** about money value. Or your a player that accepts being **** by this game everyday. Cause there is no endgame and you will be grinding and spending money with no end in sight. Thanks for this cancer of a game. Future of mobile gaming looks more like a Las Vegas one armed slot machine with absolutely no payout to you..

I'm sorry you feel this way, I'm totally F2P and finish top 50 everyday with my F2P only options. I'ts really not hard but does take a lot more theory-crafting and foresight to become competitive far longer than 4 weeks :wink: ps. I'm not rich and I value money very highly :smile:
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    I like this game. I like it well enough to even spend time in the forums and I feel invested in making the most of it. Too bad you don't like it. I'm sure there are other games out there for you.
  • Options
    There are plenty of viable tanks.
  • jeremyj26
    783 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I'm not entirely sure you understand what **** is. (Can I say grape)

Lol at all the differing opinions in this thread, though.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • Krix
    99 posts Member
    Options
    Hey. I played 5 weeks and invested about 200 dollars. Most i ever spent on a game. (been playing since C64, yes I'm old)
    All I'm saying is the value of the game is very tainted. You pay alot for nothing. It's all based on luck or rich ppl who don't care what the end total price is.
  • Options

Sorry you feel that way, but i haven't spent 1cent on this game and i finish top 10 everyday now and i finish the 1st alot too. You can still compete too some degree, well depending on whos on your server
  • Reddplague
    766 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    It's all about damage mitigation. Making the enemy actions less efficient. Not necessarily about withstanding a lot of punishment. Fives is cool because he simply makes the enemy toons act less often. And his constant counters make sure that the enemy gets a bad exchange rate when they attack him. 2-3K damage on Fives isn't that bad with his huge HP pool, but in return he dishes out ~1,4K damage and Speed down on their attacker. Then he himself attacks for ~1,4K again, basically evening out the damage received by both heroes. He could probably outlast most cards in a 1 vs 1 duel.

Oh... That's an interesting idea. Could we have duels in this game? That would rock!

Damage mitigation? Tanks are killed before they can use the taunt. I'm sorry but if the argument is you need a full maxed out gear for a tank to be useful than that's **** IMO. 6k HP lvl 60 maxed tank will not make enemy actions less efficient, sorry.

Tanks are also slower than other OP characters so they will die before they get a turn. Lumi ability does 5k damage in one turn so any tank is useless at that point. If you look at HODA and the actual tank characters you will see the difference. That is what a tank should look like not these.