Whipit's guide to nerfing characters

Replies

• Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    That moment when you realize the person took this serious and the rest of us are like oooooooooooooooo
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • SolidSnake
    50 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Great post, though I doubt many would get it.
    Also I would suggest nerfing the nerf, the cooldown is too short and people are using it as a counter to every team.
  • Options
    Wifi wrote: »

What I do notice is that there are a bunch of characters that suck so bad therefore nobody uses them. These need to be boosted a little but keeping in mind some of them are much easier to than others and therefore should be appropriately boosted keeping that in mind.

Nicely put arguement. Most characters have flaws some easily exploitable others less exploitable. There are characters that might need a tweak here and there but most underrated characters don't suck or are that underpowered, it's just they are not worth farming. The game makes sure for you to get the same characters that everybody else is getting because if you want to compete you won't be getting ewoks, greedo or characters that are tedious to farm and that makes them suck.
  • Options
    You forgot speed. It's not fair that some are faster than others all should be equal speed since we should stand there staring at each other since all toons are now equal and no point battling because it will be a tie since all are created equal.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Q, I think you are wrong. I don't see any overpowered characters, just a lot of underpowered ones that need a boost.
    I see this argument on gaming forums all the time. It really is somewhat of a fallacy. All that matters is the power of the options relative to each other: how much better is the best compared to the worst.
    Whenever you tinker with things, you risk introducing new problems. It is for that reason often far more effective to adjust down one or two characters rather than try to adjust up 10 or 15.
    Would I like to see the underused characters buffed? Sure. But this development team has its hands full, and I do not want to wait 2 or 3 months before seeing fixes to broken characters like Leia or FOTP.
    Sid.. His dot is fairly weak and his health is mediocre. He dies fast and I don't even consider him much of a threat. Luminara, low health and easy to kill.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on these. I think this is completely false. But these aren't the characters most needing nerfs anyway.
    I'm sorry, I completely disagree with you. All these top characters have drawbacks or are counterable in some way. I like the fact you can face a team and get slaughtered then come back with a team that counters it and blow them out of the water.
    There are no counters for the very high-end abusive teams right now. You enter the match and 2/5 of your team is gone before you can do anything. You can't see who you are going to fight until it is too late.
    The Poe/FOTP/Leia/turnmeter-abuse teams are broken and need fixing, period. FOTP is the worst of the bunch: no character should do that kind of damage and have so much health you can't count the bars. Period, end of story. Leia has been busted sinch launch. Poe should not have a turn meter reduction in addition to a fast taunt and expose.
    I have absolutely no problem saying that these characters need to be nerfed. They do. Badly.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    WhipiT wrote: »
    You mean like Luminara, Sidious and Phasma?

Not at the top of my list, because they don't break anything, but yes, all of those need adjustment. Sidious should never have been buffed, Phasma does too much, and Lumi hits too hard for also having a 100% ability block and the best heal in the game. They are common because they are easy farms, but they also common because they are "no brainers" from their respective shipment sources.
    Come on, WhipiT. You know which are the really broken characters right now. There are teams that wipe out half the other team before they can even move. This is severely messed up.

Q, I think you are wrong. I don't see any overpowered characters, just a lot of underpowered ones that need a boost. By this I mean, all the characters have flaws or counters. Sid.. His dot is fairly weak and his health is mediocre. He dies fast and I don't even consider him much of a threat. Luminara, low health and easy to kill. Darth Maul coupled with Poggle makes Jedi masters into younglings. But guess what.. Super low health and low speed, when I see him he's dead before he even gets an attack. Or you can ability block him. Phasma, great leader ability, somewhat tanks but dmg is also mediocre. Kylo, don't AOE him or you pay for it, otherwise he's nothing. Poggle, low health or just ability block. Boba, ability block. 4 AOE with Poggle teams, Qui Gon with ObiWan and some high Dps single target players and iI never had a problem. FOTP, guess what, yes he has access to gear 8 and hits hard but if you have him to gear 8 like I do you will notice that his last slot required lvl 73, meaning if they bring the cap to 70 in the upcoming patch, FOTP does not get access to a single gear upgrade, bringing him in line with other top characters. As for his counter, he is slow, focus him down first and/or use ObiWan.

I'm sorry, I completely disagree with you. All these top characters have drawbacks or are counterable in some way. I like the fact you can face a team and get slaughtered then come back with a team that counters it and blow them out of the water.

What I do notice is that there are a bunch of characters that suck so bad therefore nobody uses them. These need to be boosted a little but keeping in mind some of them are much easier to than others and therefore should be appropriately boosted keeping that in mind.

I have to agree that every toon and every synergy has a weakness that can be exploited. All have a way to defend against. It makes the game fun to figure it out. The thing is if you go up against a team that is all 7* all purple and you are walking in with 5* toons you can expect a beating if you are going against top level toons. Let me use a sports analogy here. It would be like the top JR hockey team going up against the chicago Blackhawks. Sure they will give their all, but end of the day they are outclassed. Sure they could get lucky if they enough games against them.

Now please don't take this wrong I leveled a ton up at once so only have 1-7* myself, several 6* and a ton of 5* and I have found ways to take those big guys out, it is not easy, does not always go my way, but again it is fun to tweak and create.

I myself would rather see certain players buffed as opposed to nerfing. I'm sorry but Mace needs help, epic swordsman who is below average. Chewie should not hit like an Ewok he is a power character in the universe. There should be enough of a certain type out there to really build teams. Rebel, FO, Ewok, Tuskan, Jawa. Not enough to build a team. Add classifications to peopl. Lando should be a rebel too. Make other classes that toons can cross to.

Those are things I'd rather see than Nerfing.

Oh BTW I love the post great humor.
  • Options
    obiwan1011 wrote: »
    KitsuAeryn wrote: »
    I wonder if perhaps the best way to combat demands for the nerfbat would be a comprehensive guide to countering various characters, teams, or strategies. I'm not equipped with the knowledge to create such a thing, but perhaps there are others who are!

It's not going to help much. I don't think it has to do with people lacking the knowledge; it has more to do with lacking the ammunition/option to counter those heroes.

Say you need Hero X or Y to effectively counter Hero Z. Can most players acquire and level up Hero X or Y within a reasonable time frame? Nope. Not unless you spend money.

Hence, most players are stuck the following options:

- Pray that RNG is on your side
    - Get frustrated and complain or ask for nerf
    - Spend money
    - Quit

On a side note, a funny post, but not particularly too considerate, WhipIT. Not that I am calling for a nerf on any particular hero, but if you considered the frustrations of most F2P players who are struggling to compete against players who spend (and nothing wrong about that), you wouldn't mock them.

I didn't mean any disrespect. And was far from mocking anyone that wasn't my intent. My apologies to everyone if it seems I did. They're just jokes poking fun at the current trends on the forums nothing more. Whatever balance that is brought to the game by the developers I will either suck it up and adapt or quit. Everyone has those same two options. As long as FOTP stays in black latex Im good.
  • Options
    Excellent post whipit! This forum needs some humor with all the negativity constantly being posted. No need to apologize to the people taking it too seriously or even getting offended by it. Own it ;) Remember the Golden Rule: A comedian never apologizes. Hmmm, I may have gotten that wrong.
    A few things to add:
    1. Mace has an incredibly intimidating look on his face, making the enemy want to soil their shorts and run away in fear. This is an unfair advantage so he needs a huge nerf. I suggest replacing his head with that of a Care Bear. Also cut his damage in half. 1000 point crits are just ridiculous and have no place in this game.
    2. Remove all characters that have facial hair. They don't have to spend money on razors like the smooth faced characters do. Unfair advantage. Make them shave or remove them from the game.
    3. Chewie is not wearing pants. Or a shirt for that matter. How can anyone compete with a character that is unencumbered by the restraints of clothing? Unfair advantage.
    4. Nightsister Acolyte has a pink string on her bow. Everyone knows pink is the strongest of all bow string colors. Unfair. Make it white or take away the bow.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    People honestly think Lumni and Sid need the nerf bat. Long term, I'm not even sure if either will be in my arena team and mine are both totally maxed. This is why people make satirical posts concerning nerfing. There are even some f2p teams that most people haven't even seen that don't have either of those toons and would destroy most teams. I can't wait to see the outrage when they are discovered. O,o
  • Options
    obiwan1011 wrote: »
    KitsuAeryn wrote: »
    I wonder if perhaps the best way to combat demands for the nerfbat would be a comprehensive guide to countering various characters, teams, or strategies. I'm not equipped with the knowledge to create such a thing, but perhaps there are others who are!

It's not going to help much. I don't think it has to do with people lacking the knowledge; it has more to do with lacking the ammunition/option to counter those heroes.

Say you need Hero X or Y to effectively counter Hero Z. Can most players acquire and level up Hero X or Y within a reasonable time frame? Nope. Not unless you spend money.

Hence, most players are stuck the following options:

- Pray that RNG is on your side
    - Get frustrated and complain or ask for nerf
    - Spend money
    - Quit

On a side note, a funny post, but not particularly too considerate, WhipIT. Not that I am calling for a nerf on any particular hero, but if you considered the frustrations of most F2P players who are struggling to compete against players who spend (and nothing wrong about that), you wouldn't mock them.

I didn't mean any disrespect. And was far from mocking anyone that wasn't my intent. My apologies to everyone if it seems I did. They're just jokes poking fun at the current trends on the forums nothing more. Whatever balance that is brought to the game by the developers I will either suck it up and adapt or quit. Everyone has those same two options. As long as FOTP stays in black latex Im good.

I am sure you didn't and I have tons of respect for the insights that you bring to the community.

As much as a lot of the nerf requests may be unwarranted, I equally think the swift conclusion that every nerf request = noobs, be smarter or build a better team is not right either for the reason that I stated in my previous post. It takes ages for an average player to farm a Dooku or a Barriss and by the time they are sufficiently levelled up, the meta has likely changed and a better hero (e.g. Poe, FOTP) is dominating the scene ...which can be a frustrating experience.

But yeah, I also hope I can get FOTP in my line-up to enjoy that black latex view on a regular basis. Lol
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    All of these serious posts are distracting the amazing sarcasm achieved by whipit!
  • Options
    I actually thought for about 5 seconds you were really suggesting to nerf all aoe :) I thought you had lost it :)
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    Daka has more hair than every other character. How can the others, especially bald ones like Mace, possibly compete?

On the other hand, she has to waste her time styling... oh dear does she need a buff or a nerf, I can't decide!?!?
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Rolf wrote: »
    Daka has more hair than every other character. How can the others, especially bald ones like Mace, possibly compete?

On the other hand, she has to waste her time styling... oh dear does she need a buff or a nerf, I can't decide!?!?

It's not her hair bro. It's just not fair that she smells like mothballs and catpee. It really freaks out the other toons.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    Old Daka is clearly under powered with only 2 abilities where is "throw sith cat" with chance for aoe "old Daka lady fury" which throws multiple sith cats that insta kill with the power of the dark stench
  • stupidfatfool
    715 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This thread sounds like it was written by a stuped, fat fool
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    This thread sounds like it was written by a stuped, fat fool

The best part is you edited that ode to the education system
  • Options
    you forgot to mention leia, she's using a dl-44, and anyone whos played the new battlefront knows she only needs to fire twice to kill someone, not 3-4 times!
  • garcia_george99
    164 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This was pretty funny especially the sid lightsaber joke

But all joking aside I prefer instead of nerfing players they regulate the server system

I am level 60 with 6* characters ranking around 600 to 450 in the arena, i thought this was normal but then i made a new character to not waste any exp that i am being max level and all. What i found was ridiculous, the top 10 in the new characters server was filled with level 40's and they probably were all FTP

I think its more important to change the servers rather then nerf any character

Im not saying i belong in the top 10 but I think that if there is a level 46 in the #1 spot, there is something wrong
  • Options
    Probably the best post of 2016
  • Options

Not at the top of my list, because they don't break anything, but yes, all of those need adjustment. Sidious should never have been buffed, Phasma does too much, and Lumi hits too hard for also having a 100% ability block and the best heal in the game. They are common because they are easy farms, but they also common because they are "no brainers" from their respective shipment sources.
    Come on, WhipiT. You know which are the really broken characters right now. There are teams that wipe out half the other team before they can even move. This is severely messed up.

Or perhaps it's just the other shipments need a bit of a boost? I also wouldn't say Lumi and Phasma are that easy to farm for the majority, since it seems so many complain about GW matchmaking etc. So the only ones who can farm them easily are people who already have a strong bench and synergies in their favour. A lot of people pick these "no brainers" because they see everyone else doing so, so they join the wagon without any thought to if they actually will benefit their teams, particularly Phasma. At least half the people using Phasma are only doing so because they think it will magically improve their team yet the team based around her barely benefits, you must, like I do, run into plenty of Phasma led teams that you easily beat.

I'm sick of hearing about GW complaints about difficulty, I complete it daily with my team of 4* heroes most of the time without losing anybody...and I'm pre launch so nobody has a harder line up of opponents than I do :)
  • Options
    The best balance approach is to reset all the heroes states when they entered the arena but EA probably will lost a big chuck of their revenue.. nvm
  • Options
    Cute, but misplaced. There ARE characters that need to be adjusted and fixing 1 or 2 or 3 broken characters in an update makes much more sense than redoing an entire system.
    When top players are saying "you must get character X to keep up with everyone else who has character X" that's a pretty good sign that character X is busted.

Why is a character busted just because it's better or more powerful
    than another character? Too many characters are already flat on stats and boring to use. Who wants to play a game where all characters are just mediocre with nothing special about them. Personally I like having some more powerful than others even when I don't have them. Makes the game more interesting.
  • Options
    These troll posts are more annoying than the actual QQ threads.
  • Options
    More annoying? At least this is fun and less serious :)
    I almost thought WhipiT lost it when I read to minimize AOE to a single target lol
    Also love how Qeltar immediately replied a bit too serious :D

This is certainly not more annoying than all the -please nerf characters I don't play myself yet- ones.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    I see too many useless characters imo. I think they should start buffing the underdogs before they start nerfing everything. I want to use a triple ewok team but I don't think it would stand a chance against the usual lineup everyone uses. I want to see more variety in battles!
  • Options
    1/10 hoping this was a troll effect and nothing else, if not it is a joke?
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    shampoo wrote: »
    you forgot to mention leia, she's using a dl-44, and anyone whos played the new battlefront knows she only needs to fire twice to kill someone, not 3-4 times!
    Especially if they shoot her hair. Then she should counter against all enemies, mowing them down.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • IM_UR_UPGRADE
    223 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I'm sorry, I completely disagree with you. All these top characters have drawbacks or are counterable in some way. I like the fact you can face a team and get slaughtered then come back with a team that counters it and blow them out of the

Every character has a counter right? Ok counter this that fully geared and 7*: QGJ, Fotp, leia, poe and ben without praying for rng to be on your side
  • Options
    lol this was worth every second of reading. Too funny and so many people so super serious still. Obviously a joke post written by one of the most helpful and insightful players on the forum who has been helping everyone with ideas, strats and team comps since the get-go and invested a lot of his own money to share those insights....
    If you want something of substance keep reading. If you were here for the joke skip to the next post :dizzy:

On a serious note: Let's try to address some of the same repeating problems spoken here and on many other gaming forums....
    • I think people need to slow down and relax.
      The game hasn't been out very long, you all act like you need to 7* max out every character in a day. Then OMG meta shifted and I "wasted" my time on that character instead of this new one etc... (No you now have a fully upgraded and geared character to use in various places and it might even receive a buff or fall back into the meta later on.)
    • Is no one planning to play this app or game long-term? You are not inventing or trying new stuff like those who are in the top tiers are. The guys creating those new Meta had to take a chance, level some character to max and hope their idea worked out... So yea if you are playing copy-cat the entire time and not inventing or spending your own efforts to find the new best team... you'll always be behind playing catch up.
    • People are still trying to shift from their last meta team to the "new meta" and you guys want more content to chase and try to catch up with? You'll be even farther behind asking for this new update... new chars, new meta shifts, new **** to farm... omg you just fell farther behind. AGAIN cause those P2P guys are already stocked up and ready to go dump tons of resources into the new stuff, while you're still playing catch-up.
    • The crying/whining etc seems a bit ridiculous, you gain nothing of substance from winning anything on any game... Even if you land #1 in arena and clear the GW etc etc each day... no tangible items, no food, shelter, clothing etc - Just enjoy it for what it is, for whatever you feel like putting into it. Only one person will be #1 and 1000's of others will be after that.
    • I get the point of "I invested money I want a fair deal (P2P) - and - I didn't spend money but I want a fair shot at being #1 too (F2P)" Welp guys it's an EA game... they've made plenty so far and each one is designed about maximizing profits through IAP and their games have always favored the spenders over the non-spenders... hell almost every game with any pay options in a f2p setup is the same way.
    • Also every game they have produced has had exploits, hacks and cheaters who have gained advantages and EA has never done much to address this but give out a small (something - crystals, cards, etc) for the rest of the population. In most cases they don't permaban unless it was really bad because of the money associated and the way they attached all of your games to one account. You will get locked from everything you've ever purchased causing them more problems than the small % of players in the game using those exploits/cheats. No it isn't fair, it isn't right but hell who are we kidding... NOTHING in this world is fair, right, or anything of the sort. Just look at reality around you... money is king and the more you have the better you get treated.
    • The only time I ever saw them even try to fix something was on Madden last Fall when the entire game got screwed by duplicates, hacks, auction bugs and a whole lot more. They tried a 3 day rollback (or something close to it) which just messed things up even further than if they left it alone. None of these issues are an easy fix in anyway.
    • Welcome to the world of gaming that has been created by the people who want instant-gratification, want "fair play" between paying and non, want to rush to level cap then complain about nothing to do... You'd be better off enjoying a color by numbers book because all you are chasing is to hit the next wall not enjoy the ride.
    • You can see the insane consumption of content on any game in any genre which is why we have systems like we do now and also don't receive completed/finished products. You don't want a finished complete product you need more more more and as broken products become fixed... you get "updates" to satisfy you're craving of new content to rush through.

Yes it takes time to adjust and rebuild new characters as they come out. There's been some great post on showing how long it takes to bring a character from 4*-7* by farming various places (Squad, Cantina, GW etc) You're looking at roughly 1 months time for any farmable character to go from 4* to 7* if you aren't spending a ton of money on crystals to refresh and even if you are, you still cap out at what is available to you daily.