Not the Game I Invested In

Prev134
Palanthian
1262 posts Member
Yeah, this is another whale post, but hear me out. When I started the game in March, I loved everything about it and could see a very clear path to progression with an investment I was willing to make. The game was worth my money, all things considered.

I previously quit games that force you to min/max by slotting widgets with random stats, games such as Future Fight, Darkness Reborn, etc.

Now, here we are with the unbelievably convoluted mod system with 15 levels of grind, 7 levels of rarity, random primary stats, up to 4 more random secondary stats, * 6 per character, * every player in your roster.

And they cost cantina energy to grind, so you have to choose between characters or mods. And they cost crystals to unslot.

And they cost credits to level up, so you have to use the few credits you get from GW - still providing level 60 rewards and impossible to complete for most - and the few credits you get from the scoundrel event - which does NOT come once a week and you possibly don't have the roster for.

I paid a lot of money for my roster, but that was when I knew what I was paying for. I saw some people saying this update will be great for whales, no it will not. This update will be the equivalent of a bottomless pit for money, I was only happy to pay when I could see an end to it.

I genuinely fear for the future of this game. I've never seen the forums like this, I've never seen guild chat like this. It's not just another protest, real players are quitting this time.

The response to the 60 page GW thread was "deal with it", there wasn't even an attempt to defuse the situation. It's bordering on self-destructive.

The players are being squeezed from every possible angle. There is no give, only take. Even the apology crystals have been cut from 500 to 350, why?! How much money does that save you, EA?!

This coming update is an ultimatum - pay up or get out. That's the only justification I can see for the way they're treating their players.

I will not pay for mods. Even whales have limits. It's not that I can't afford it, it's that EA doesn't deserve the money I work very hard for.

This game is a life lesson, I've learned it now.

Replies

• Options
    Strike 6? 7?
  • Options
    I don't see how mods will hurt the game and don't understand how they are perceived as for whales only. Most refresh cantina once, whales twice maybe, but no one really spends 400 to do a third time at least not often. The only downside i see is those who want to farm shards in cantina can no longer do so, which hurts new players and anyone who doesn't have their solid 5 arena team.
  • Baggodi
    404 posts Member
    Options
    Well said. Or would that be whale said?

Either way ea needs to wake up and either realize they are killing their cash cow or own up and admit they are doing it on purpose.
  • Daigouji
    14 posts Member
    Options
    Well said.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    WhiskeyPug wrote: »
    The only downside i see is those who want to farm shards in cantina can no longer do so, which hurts new players and anyone who doesn't have their solid 5 arena team.

There is part of the problem. A lot of people complain about the same teams in arena. Cantina nodes make it way easier to farm the toons you want to put in your arena team. The same boring teams will be in arena for a long time because of this.
  • Mercer
    28 posts Member
    Options
    excellent post
  • gobears21
    1265 posts Member
    Options
    I don't see how mods will hurt the game and don't understand how they are perceived as for whales only. Most refresh cantina once, whales twice maybe, but no one really spends 400 to do a third time at least not often. The only downside i see is those who want to farm shards in cantina can no longer do so, which hurts new players and anyone who doesn't have their solid 5 arena team.

Uh, I don't think you understand what a whale is.... 400 isn't optional and 900 is mandatory
  • gobears21
    1265 posts Member
    Options
    Those in my guild are from both a ftp and p2w perspective are expressing great concern with mods; I will wait to judge but will say I'm concerned
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    Honestly I love his game and have been playing it sends the beginning. I've been put through all the crap they do to us. I've put nearly a grand into this game. I'm about ready to want his game to die. Just to give a huge **** you back to the developers
  • SpiveyJr
    69 posts Member
    Options
    Mods are another form of gear and we all know this game is a gear grind. I don't have experience with games that use a mod system but idea sounds interesting. However I don't have high hopes for this to be implemented well. If mods are the direction of the game then I would rather see it use its own energy. I am worried about the direction this game is going in.
  • Go_Blue
    95 posts Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand it sometimes. Jesse, some of the devs on Reddit, they seem like passionate guys, dedicated, love the game and want to see it succeed. They seem like they have good intentions. But some of the decisions and lack of feedback is mind boggling. They are killing their own game. They aren't giving people what they want. They are doing the opposite.
  • Veritasum
    754 posts Member
    Options
    I would have to agree that the mod system is way too convoluted and unnecessarily complex. Despite it's extreme cost, I always viewed this game as a character collecting game where trying different team comps and character synergies would be the focus of the game. This mod system is a clear departure or cementing that this in fact is not a character collecting game, but more like an FPS game where you have to throw all your resources on at most a few characters and then just press buttons.

I understand vets often get put off by change. I always shrug it off because for me it's simple, everything changes and evolves and I either change with it or find somewhere comfortable for me. And that's for everything. Most vets think games are there to cater to them and they are correct to a certain extent. But keep in mind, huge game companies like EA have being doing games for a long time and by now know how far to push and how many losses they can take. It's a wheel because hundreds, if not thousands of players likely come in every day. And these new people will take weeks and months before they develop frustration levels found in the forums and some will leave but many more will come in fresh.

No offense, but EA/CG are not gonna miss any of us if and when we leave. But don't take it personal. To me that's the funny part, that people take it personal and rage or write an indignant post (not saying this is the case for the op), but usually.

So either cut your losses or ride the change and save yourself some heartache.
  • Options

Are you really sure that mod can only be farm on the table? there are rarity.. I don't think you can farm tier 7 mod on the table.. I doubt it
  • Options

The requirements for each mod table require certain characters. Can you field a team of 5 of only FIrst Order? Scoundrels? Jawas? Resistance? etc. Guess who can. This isn't a grind f2p will want to do or even dolphins to keep up with the spenders because it will take multiple months to get to where the whales are now.

Also, if you look at the Cantina energy and how slowly it refreshes, players will have to either prioritize character shards or mods for that energy. If they do both, they will have to spend crystals for refreshes. The drop rates for shards from cantina nodes is already slow and will now be even slower. To be competitive in arena and GW you will need to have mod sets.
  • Options
    I'm definitely concerned that mods will be one more thing to grind. And adding new content no one asked for while a lot of stuff is broken feels tone deaf.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    Options
    Its unfair to say any of this helps anyone, relatively speaking the whales who already have the cantina characters and many other characters will lose out less going into the mod update.

I feel like the only stakeholders that are happy with this are people who dont play daily and those getting the revenue.
    {RotE}
  • dreamer05
    139 posts Member
    Options
    You should have known better than to invest large amounts of money into an EA game. Stop taking it so seriously. I put $30 or less into it monthly and feel that I get my money's worth. Have fun, if you're not, stop playing.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    Go_Blue wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand it sometimes. Jesse, some of the devs on Reddit, they seem like passionate guys, dedicated, love the game and want to see it succeed. They seem like they have good intentions. But some of the decisions and lack of feedback is mind boggling. They are killing their own game. They aren't giving people what they want. They are doing the opposite.

I wonder how many times they go to bat for us and get shot down or mandated to do something different.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Think i've said it in every thread so far...everything you said in this post sounds absolutely terrible for f2p and probably for whales alike. So whale said, to quote someone from the thread :) But maybe it won't be that bad...dunno, as long as the update is not here, i would prefer to retain my optimist view. But it's really really hard for me to do that.
  • Gankak
    226 posts Member
    Options
    Go_Blue wrote: »

Reminds me of the early days of Everquest. Verant/SOE took a dump on their player base and when another game came out players left in droves. Companies need to understand you can't treat you player base like this or you will not have a player base to fund your jobs.

Honestly I wouldn't care if they fired the lot of them at this point.
  • Krey
    341 posts Member
    Options
    I have said it before. We are playing beta.a

But for now, until the game settles down (by that I mean the nature of the game stops changing), I am free to play. I think i have put about $500 into the game. Maybe more. Maybe less. I have no idea, really. But I do not want to pay for something when I have no idea what I am paying for. Sure...maybe I know now. But a month from now? I have no idea what I spend money on now is going to be like a month from now. Is it going to be money well spent? I have no clue. So why would I spend not knowing?

My new expectation is that I am going to log in, do what I can do, and then go do something else. I will finish where I finish in the arena instead of making an effort to finish in the top 5. I will do as many nodes in GW as I can and not worry about it.

And I am one of the guys who can still complete GW all the time. Maybe not for long after mods hit, but I don't really care anymore. I have reached my limit.
  • BWSkynobi
    334 posts Member
    Options
    Until something is done with GW I will stop spending money. I will now log in daily. Collect all my free rewards and participate in raids to help my guild. Nothing more.
  • Options
    not sure why people kept mentioning its still beta, if its beta then this game available only on select few country and if beta phase ended usually any prior account will be reset, people start from scratch again.
    also "nature of the game keep changing", this is most common happen in any online games nowdays especially in a high-demanding one.
    the cake is a lie
  • Gankak
    226 posts Member
    Options
    not sure why people kept mentioning its still beta, if its beta then this game available only on select few country and if beta phase ended usually any prior account will be reset, people start from scratch again.
    also "nature of the game keep changing", this is most common happen in any online games nowdays especially in a high-demanding one.

It's beta because the developers have no idea what they are trying to achieve other than ticking off the player base. That why they throw all this stuff against a wall and see how it works. There is no QA to speak of and honestly I am not sure how they have kept or even gotten this job.
  • Gankak
    226 posts Member
    Options
    This reminds me of another game I used to play. WWE supercard was a top 20 grossing app on Android but they completely gave the player base a different game through updates and versions and it is about to fall out of the top 150.

There forums weren't near as active as this one so we the players can make a difference, just don't spend for 2 weeks and you will see positive change.
  • Smithie
    1427 posts Member
    Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    Yeah, this is another whale post, but hear me out. When I started the game in March, I loved everything about it and could see a very clear path to progression with an investment I was willing to make. The game was worth my money, all things considered.

I previously quit games that force you to min/max by slotting widgets with random stats, games such as Future Fight, Darkness Reborn, etc.

Now, here we are with the unbelievably convoluted mod system with 15 levels of grind, 7 levels of rarity, random primary stats, up to 4 more random secondary stats, * 6 per character, * every player in your roster.

And they cost cantina energy to grind, so you have to choose between characters or mods. And they cost crystals to unslot.

And they cost credits to level up, so you have to use the few credits you get from GW - still providing level 60 rewards and impossible to complete for most - and the few credits you get from the scoundrel event - which does NOT come once a week and you possibly don't have the roster for.

I paid a lot of money for my roster, but that was when I knew what I was paying for. I saw some people saying this update will be great for whales, no it will not. This update will be the equivalent of a bottomless pit for money, I was only happy to pay when I could see an end to it.

I genuinely fear for the future of this game. I've never seen the forums like this, I've never seen guild chat like this. It's not just another protest, real players are quitting this time.

The response to the 60 page GW thread was "deal with it", there wasn't even an attempt to defuse the situation. It's bordering on self-destructive.

The players are being squeezed from every possible angle. There is no give, only take. Even the apology crystals have been cut from 500 to 350, why?! How much money does that save you, EA?!

This coming update is an ultimatum - pay up or get out. That's the only justification I can see for the way they're treating their players.

I will not pay for mods. Even whales have limits. It's not that I can't afford it, it's that EA doesn't deserve the money I work very hard for.

This game is a life lesson, I've learned it now.

Great Post!

What happens if and when this game looses its customers? They have made it extremely hard for any new player anyone that actually needs characters from Cantina. It has limited players to either Mod or not and fall behind.

Cantina energy for this MOD mode is the worst thing this game can do. I hope they intend to balcance this out with extra Cantina and reduced refill cost or they are just gonna push any new player away, progressing players and Whales.

Guilds will be difficult to fill and arenas will be emptier, if thats what they want then they are doing a fantastic job.
  • Options
    +1, this game is starting to grind my gears!
  • vavavader
    180 posts Member
    Options
    Stop whining..
    38yr old . Income: Govt Disability . Living in mom's basement . Fav food: hot pockets . Fav game: SWGOH
  • Options
    great post.