Not the Game I Invested In

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Great OP. I've only spent about $30 since December, but agree with the sentiment 100%. Mods will do so many negative things to the game, it won't even be the same game anymore.

They will further decrease diversity in arena - with limited resources, people will mod the 5 toons they're running now - especially f2p.

They will scare off new players (with complexity and "catch up" time needed).

They will further increase the divide between f2p and p2p.

They increase the grindiness of the game even further - something no one wants.

No new players + unhappy f2p players = death of the game in the long run. Whales will only pay to fight reach other for so long.

At first I thought the rumblings of this game's cycle coming close to an end were very exaggerated - now I am not so sure. The mod money grab seems like a desperate attempt to reel in as many whales as possible before the game goes belly up.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • C3POwn
    507 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    WhiskeyPug wrote: »
    I don't see how mods will hurt the game and don't understand how they are perceived as for whales only. Most refresh cantina once, whales twice maybe, but no one really spends 400 to do a third time at least not often. The only downside i see is those who want to farm shards in cantina can no longer do so, which hurts new players and anyone who doesn't have their solid 5 arena team.

This statement shoes naivety. I guess you really don't understand what a whale is. Refreshing to 400 for Cantina is nothing.

Btw, I love your post @Palanthian
  • Go_Blue
    95 posts Member
    Options
    Here's the problem: it's the classic prisoner's Delimma you learned in high school or college. You know EA/CG get reports of game metrics every day. How much is spent; how much each phase of the game is used; success rate on GW, etc. If we keep using GW, spending as normal, their numbers don't change and they say "wow, the forums are mad, but that's a vocal minority because or data says people are using and spending just as much as they were before." So the only way to send a real message is to stop playing and stop spending. A player's strike if you will. But you would never be able to organize that because the incentive to "cheat" the strike, and collect stuff while everyone else is not playing, and get ahead that way, is too strong. So EA/CG will never get the message that what they are doing is killing their game. Until it's too late anyway and everyone has moved on.
  • droidboyz
    316 posts Member
    Options
    I asked a long time ago the shelf life of this game to the community...it looks as though not too much longer...for a phone app game holding the famed Star Wars name with it, theres a huge audience voicing... appears CG is over their head on this one...
  • dbraba01
    268 posts Member
    Options
    I think gw is going to get a lot easier with all the 1 star ugnaught teams.
    Broncos Forever in the game
    666-716-133
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    Options
    RogueHS wrote: »
    Whales are leaving in droves over this mod addition. I cannot for the life of me understand why CG/EA willingly bite the hands that feed them.

Can you/anyone explain this? I assumed whales who already have the cantina toons will be least effected by this
    {RotE}
  • Options
    Fraud
  • Smithie
    1427 posts Member
    Options
    LaLiam wrote: »
    Whales are leaving in droves over this mod addition. I cannot for the life of me understand why CG/EA willingly bite the hands that feed them.

Can you/anyone explain this? I assumed whales who already have the cantina toons will be least effected by this

Its because they will have to pay for an extra function so it will be toons gear and now mods. Even with their collection of 7*s its the fact the forces them to spend on a new feature that was never in the picture for the start
  • Options
    This is definetly the update that has a chance to break this game. Protection was just basically a health+ update and it was achieved by equipping gear you were equipping anyways. This changes the game.
  • B00MSTICK
    107 posts Member
    Options
    It's a classic move for P2W games. Introduce a new element that raises the bar, but doesn't add any substantial content. Low cost, high yield for the GO (if players go for it).

Today your toons are strong, ready for everything. Tomorrow their good, but still have a ways to go.

I was hoping they would try to add new characters (so many more to go btw) or keep bringing events that required specific character sets to keep people farming. But that would require work and investment. Mods will be cheaper for them.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    Options
    Smithie wrote: »

Its because they will have to pay for an extra function so it will be toons gear and now mods. Even with their collection of 7*s its the fact the forces them to spend on a new feature that was never in the picture for the start

Oh i see now. I didnt think of it like that.
    {RotE}
  • Options
    Lol. It already takes at least two weeks to get one character to lvl 80 and 7 stars. Now you have to get the best mods for them, and get them to at least gear 9 to make them arena ready. Enjoy the grind guys. Cause the game just got ran over by a car, and it's in critical condition. Im not sure if it's gonna make it.
  • Options
    Go_Blue wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand it sometimes. Jesse, some of the devs on Reddit, they seem like passionate guys, dedicated, love the game and want to see it succeed. They seem like they have good intentions. But some of the decisions and lack of feedback is mind boggling. They are killing their own game. They aren't giving people what they want. They are doing the opposite.

@EA_Jesse @CG_NotReallyAJedi

Guild: Order 66 501st Division
  • Tommylew
    144 posts Member
    Options
    Great post! So many truths! Even F2P while frustrating the was at least a goal to get to, mods is that well... Wow! A terrible idea and a way of them trying to milk even more money!
  • Options
    I hear ya bro. Hopefully the changes will improve the game and not ruin it. Hope you found a guild that appreciates your investment into this game.
    I'm trying to stay positive because of my love for the game. Try to bare with it. A miracle could happen and it all works out.
  • Miralectred
    169 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You know a game is bad when actually playing the game is not fun. So much dodge that time runs out in arena or it swings the match so bad that you just push auto. You waste too much time and effort in GW that it's not fun. And challenges, which are no challenge at all mind you, are all auto.

A smart man would say challenges need to be hard, hence the name, and GW should be easy. But that's a smart man.

Edit - Atleast their sales are down over $20k from yesterday.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Reddit front page right now has three or four whales saying goodbye, others reporting whales in their guilds closing up shop and quitting. One of the largest, pcx99 I believe is his username, was one who actually contributed a TON to the community by maxing toons then providing in depth reviews. He will be missed greatly.

Really sad to see pcx leave, genuinely nice guy who provided me with great info! But he left because he said GW was tedious and not fun for him, not because of the upcoming mods (and this is a guy who has all characters at level 80 a huge part geared up). Although, he might have suspected something there as well. Eh...maybe he will come back!
  • B00MSTICK
    107 posts Member
    Options
    Go_Blue wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand it sometimes. Jesse, some of the devs on Reddit, they seem like passionate guys, dedicated, love the game and want to see it succeed. They seem like they have good intentions. But some of the decisions and lack of feedback is mind boggling. They are killing their own game. They aren't giving people what they want. They are doing the opposite.

The Devs most likely do really care about the game. Most people care about things that they put time and work into.

But in the hierarchy of game development the Devs are often caught between the gamers and the publishers (and in this case the IP owner).

Plus who knows what kind of deal EA and Disney worked out. Could even have an agreement as to how much money the game needs to make. Disney probably figures that gamers will only carry X number of SW games simultaneously and expects each one to rake in Y number of bucks a month.

The Mod concept is far from new. Neither is EA. So EA tells the devs, we want to make more money with this product, and here's stuff that worked in our past games. Do it. What can the devs do?
  • Options
    I don't get why the people who keep this game alive with their money have no say in anything. Very few ongoing issues get a response, and in fact they often do the opposite of what the players want.

Is that a good way to do business? I'm much more eager to spend money when I feel good about it.
  • Options
    Since I've only spent half of what I saved by quitting smoking on june11, I am not going to quit, (I've spent 23 dollars plus tax), but I am certainly not going to try as hard or care as much when I know I can never get to where I want to be.
  • LordAlvert
    1193 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Great post.

This game was really fun for us for months as we grinded and geared and acquired these characters we have liked in the Star Wars Galaxy.

It is mind boggling to think they have sunk so much development effort and money into what looks like a massively deep and time and crystal consuming process for something we didn't want or need really.

We wanted: new toons, new factions, new play styles (ships), new raids. We wanted things here fixed ?!?

I appreciate some toon customization but this is almost like increasing toon stars to 10 stars. It is a new deep deep grind. And it has a obviously probability of being poorly executed.

I was shocked to find out @Mol_Sign is outta the game and I suspect this change has a very high risk of alienating others. Wallets clearly have closed. Whales have left. Forum is devoid of excitement. Filled with broken toon problems all over (aurodium, raids, guilds, alts, AI, Gw, dodge, 100 others).

Bad juju all around us. Enveloping us.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    This mod thing would have been interesting...if it would have happened like 4 months from now. Bad timing imo. Really really bad timing.
  • Options
    vavavader wrote: »
    Stop whining..

And you can shut your pie hole up.
  • Options
    WhiskeyPug wrote: »
    but no one really spends 400 to do a third time at least not often.

You really don't understand the spending of whales...lol.
  • Azgadil
    226 posts Member
    Options
    Great post.

We have the money. To some extent we enjoy the game. ... But there is some great displeasure in the "professionalism" of the experience.

I have little issue spending $100 a month (or more) but when I spend I want that money to equally invest back to me. (Not just toons - not just gear - I want a quality experience).

Would you go to a restaurant that serves great food 80% percent of time. I'm telling you that failure might might ruin it for you - experience it again and you try some thing else when you are hungry.

But I write this with hope. Sincerely. I think they will get it right. They have responded to player feed back. And this feedback is no different.

Please fix the bugs.
    * Some one is going to earn my money.
  • dough
    641 posts Member
    Options
    ok so when was this exactly? recently? i'm legit curious but other than the Anakin update i'm drawing some blanks here.
    Azgadil wrote: »
    They have responded to player feed back. And this feedback is no different.

• Options
    So I am stuck at gear level 8 due to raids. Now I have to prioritize shards over mods. Glad I am F2P because I would be highly upset if I had spent money on this game. I can bail any time EA; your call. The whales are already leaving.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You are not investing in the game. You never were. EA allows you to pay a lot of money to get a leetle bit of advantage a leetle bit sooner. And u bit. And I have bit in the past. And lots of people have bit.

U continued to believe u were buying something more. You are in a small minority.
  • dough
    641 posts Member
    Options
    after a cursory glance at this category of the forums it's safe to say a large part of the player base, whale and F2P alike, are in a state of revolt.

i can only imagine how the page might look if it included all of the threads/posts that were undoubtedly turfed as well.

this is far more than peoples' keyboards crying.
  • Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    I paid a lot of money for my roster, but that was when I knew what I was paying for. I saw some people saying this update will be great for whales, no it will not. This update will be the equivalent of a bottomless pit for money, I was only happy to pay when I could see an end to it.

Palanthian, a question out of cuiosity. You say you were happy to pay when you could see an end to it. What was the end that you were pursuing?

I find myself asking this question often. Not paying anything, but still asking the question from the perspective of time investment in lieu of monetary investment.