[iN] Why it's OK to Spend Money on Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes

Replies

• Options
    I invest things IRL but not in pixel game so im f2p and always will be but those that want to spend can its free world kinda.
    Qui-Gon progress in cantina currently 4* gear lvl 7.
  • Yuri
    173 posts Member
    Options
    Lol this is bad propaganda and it seems like you're trying to feel better about spending thousands on a mobile game.
    All the games except Clash of clans offer better value.
    Don't get me wrong I spent a little over a hundred on this game because I'm impulsive but I'm well aware that it's not worth it.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In the harsh world that we live in, it really is not OK not to spend money on something ppl have worked very hard on.
    But this is a two-way street. I've spent a significant amount of money on this game, not as much as some but more than others, and far more than a fully-developed PC or console game would cost. I have also spent many hours helping the community: reporting bugs, answering questions, writing guides.
    I haven't asked much in return. Communication, regular updates, bug fixes, and enough content so that if I have a couple of hours to spend, I can play and have fun.
    Communication has mostly been pretty good. Regular updates? Two in two months, below average for a mobile game with this much revenue. Bug fixes? There are long-standing bugs that have been in there for three months and still aren't fixed. Content? Only one mode that is really any fun and they ruined it. There's really not much of any fun to do in the game any more.
    At what point does it become not what I can do for them but what they can do for me?
    Sentiments like these have sprouted the atrocious rates charged for IAP business models where the privileged and dedicated few are charged for the multitude of "free" players.
    The IAP business model exists because it exploits the impatience and tendency to gamble of a small number of people in order to make outrageous amounts of money. Not because of any generosity towards "free players". I'd far prefer a monthly subscription, but they don't offer one, not because they are being nice, but because they'd make less money.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    It works great but I still would prefer the older way where everyone would pay a lot more reasonable amount and get access to equal opportunities in game. That would really show who's the strategic player and who's not.

That would make for a much better game with a longer shelf life and greater profits and the idea of P2W would no longer be the case, making the game truly a game. The current model is not a game in my opinion, it's more like playing chess but having the ability to buy extra Kings and Queens....
  • Options
    I'm sorry if my writing/opinions offended anyone or gave off the wrong intention. I was hoping to reach out to new players, unsure of spending money in the game, and recommend that some smart spending could make your money worth it in the game. The idea of the article is to help show perspective of spending on other games, and challenge you to think "If I would spend $60 here, maybe I'd rather spend it on GoH and get a bundle for a more engaged pve & "pvp" experience.

Of course each has their own opinion, but this was mine, and I was sharing to see who it might help ;)

I do enjoy that fact that this article has sparked conversation about possible revenue changes for the game that benefit the players and developers. Hoping this can lead to something productive!

Thank you!
    Stormy
    Team Instinct
  • Options
    Stormy wrote: »
    I'm sorry if my writing/opinions offended anyone or gave off the wrong intention. I was hoping to reach out to new players, unsure of spending money in the game, and recommend that some smart spending could make your money worth it in the game. The idea of the article is to help show perspective of spending on other games, and challenge you to think "If I would spend $60 here, maybe I'd rather spend it on GoH and get a bundle for a more engaged pve & "pvp" experience.

Of course each has their own opinion, but this was mine, and I was sharing to see who it might help ;)

I do enjoy that fact that this article has sparked conversation about possible revenue changes for the game that benefit the players and developers. Hoping this can lead to something productive!

Thank you!
    Stormy
    Team Instinct

If people are comfortable investing in pixels well its thier choice nobody can change that lol.
    Qui-Gon progress in cantina currently 4* gear lvl 7.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    In the harsh world that we live in, it really is not OK not to spend money on something ppl have worked very hard on.
    But this is a two-way street. I've spent a significant amount of money on this game, not as much as some but more than others, and far more than a fully-developed PC or console game would cost. I have also spent many hours helping the community: reporting bugs, answering questions, writing guides.
    I haven't asked much in return. Communication, regular updates, bug fixes, and enough content so that if I have a couple of hours to spend, I can play and have fun.
    Communication has mostly been pretty good. Regular updates? Two in two months, below average for a mobile game with this much revenue. Bug fixes? There are long-standing bugs that have been in there for three months and still aren't fixed. Content? Only one mode that is really any fun and they ruined it. There's really not much of any fun to do in the game any more.
    At what point does it become not what I can do for them but what they can do for me?
    Sentiments like these have sprouted the atrocious rates charged for IAP business models where the privileged and dedicated few are charged for the multitude of "free" players.
    The IAP business model exists because it exploits the impatience and tendency to gamble of a small number of people in order to make outrageous amounts of money. Not because of any generosity towards "free players". I'd far prefer a monthly subscription, but they don't offer one, not because they are being nice, but because they'd make less money.

Lol, IAP started because the traditional way of making money in games by selling them was wrecked by piracy. It got more polished to the state it is now but that's how it started, as publishers were forced to look for a better way to monetize their games.

And, yes, no generosity or intent is there but that's what it is. High spenders make it possible for us to play for free.

On the making more money part, how many of you guys who like free stuff will say no to that?

And on the first para of your post, I have nowhere implied anything that relates to your contributions to the community, your spending on the game or your expectations from game publishers :confused:! What was all that about? I'm also in the same league as you, spend moderate amounts and try to contribute to the community. Agreed, you have much more to offer but we are very similar. My statement meant exactly what it said. Expectations of free stuff as an entitlement is not right.

BTW, a thought just came to me. Ppl like you and me are the ones really getting beeped by the game devs. F2P guys get thrashed on by the P2W, that being the 2 way street you mentioned. Both are important to game devs. Where are we? Can't compete with the P2W cos as soon as we reach them, they jump far ahead (lvl 70 without any other significant content, just so they can start beating on us). But how about sweetening the deal for us, OK, here's some packs you can buy and don't forget to renew your crystal subs :smile:
  • Options
    I'm a casually and the new update destroy the fun for me.
    Second: I spend my money for gaming not for lottery, this game is all for lottery.
  • Otar
    252 posts Member
    Options

Lol, IAP started because the traditional way of making money in games by selling them was wrecked by piracy. It got more polished to the state it is now but that's how it started, as publishers were forced to look for a better way to monetize their games.

That part is complete bull, pirated online games? Kinda hard to do...
  • Options
    Fluff article.
  • Options
    Pricing in this game is terrible. It's been terrible since September. Will it be fixed? Idk. Until it gets better, I wouldn't spend another dime.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    The f2p concept is not s pious thing , it is a fact

Playing for free has and should have a natural disadvantage

1) encourage spending
    2) time in lieu of money

Time is a commodity, so free to play uses the mechanics of energy or set turns per (min/Hr) to encourage easy fast addictive play upfront (trial period) like a full console game then slowly weens you to the point where the penalty is increased time and less characters to encourage:incentivize you to make large purchases there by creating ownership which then makes your commitment to stay and make purchases more likely

True f2p value money more than time so they grind to compete ,where p2p value time over money and want more and greater content in shorter time periods

This is not judgement but a fact that many research studies have helped define and the reason for so many f2p is this model is very effective in achieving results
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    Power that something was said of mmo players addiction is not how companies stay afloat , gambling draft kings lotto cable companies gas taxes insurance.... Drinking smoking weed

We all have vices and that is not what this game is doing , could it ? Sure but he micro transactioned his addiction his money and that is pc specific from 2013 and is warning for addicts who need help

Warcrack.com , the weak need help , you can't stop bad lifestyle choices but addiction can be treated
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • KitsuAeryn
    201 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Spending money isn't the issue -- the value of the money spent is. It should be easy to figure that out, but it's not. $5 for Dooku is an amazing deal. $25 for the droid pack is also a good deal. $20 for an 8-Chromium bundle, however, is a really bad deal relative to the other two options. Even if you land Leia or Lando or QGJ, you've got them at a handful of stars with no way to boost them up further. As Akbar would say, It's a Trap! :)

By all means, buy the bundles and the crystals. But spend the crystals on refills, lest you come to regret your purchase.
    You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
  • Options
    KitsuAeryn wrote: »
    Spending money isn't the issue -- the value of the money spent is. It should be easy to figure that out, but it's not. $5 for Dooku is an amazing deal. $25 for the droid pack is also a good deal. $20 for an 8-Chromium bundle, however, is a really bad deal relative to the other two options. Even if you land Leia or Lando or QGJ, you've got them at a handful of stars with no way to boost them up further. As Akbar would say, It's a Trap! :)

By all means, buy the bundles and the crystals. But spend the crystals on refills, lest you come to regret your purchase.

Great Opinion! I agree!
  • Options
    For the record, I'm highly disappointed in the crystal subscription price and Do Not think casual players should consider it. We needed a positive content release for the player base, and this was a big let down.
  • Options
    I feel like it's all about how much you enjoy the game and how much that enjoyment is worth to you lol or at least that's probably how e.a. would pitch it right lol
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    Options
    When it come to value, everyone have difference perspective. Everyone have different Need/Want.
  • Options
    Personally I don't think you get much if any return of value when you spend on this game. and when you do spend on the game there's only a small chance you will get what you actually want unless you buy the occasional special offers with the guaranteed drops.

Unless if you are really serious about the game I wouldn't spend anything. I spend $14 dollars and immediately ended up regretting it
  • Options
    Otar wrote: »

That part is complete bull, pirated online games? Kinda hard to do...

Lol, games started out as single player, then lan multi-player before the Internet as the final destination stepped up. Even now, most popular console and PC games with a strong online component get pirated for the single player experience they give. In fact, while googling strategies to optimize my game play in this game, I came across sites advertising modded apks, dunno how that works. As long time gamers can attest, genuine buyers have had to bear the brunt of all the experiments publishers have conducted to protect their IPs. IAP and ad based games did not happen in a vacuum. Nobody suddenly came up with this great idea to milk the few for more because older revenue streams were working great. Piracy was a contributing factor in all the new monetization and server side based game designs that are dominant now.

Most of the popular online multi-player games have always had unofficial servers and platforms to play on where you could play with your pirated game files. You are only right about piracy being difficult in online games when talking about server side based games. And, in a way, you are agreeing with me. The shift towards server side based games at considerable more expense happened because...?!
  • Options
    For the record, I'm highly disappointed in the crystal subscription price and Do Not think casual players should consider it. We needed a positive content release for the player base, and this was a big let down.

That's pretty bad considering the title of this post... But I get it.....
    +1
  • Shrewd
    19 posts Member
    Options
    The most common format of a P2P game or app isn't really pay to win, it's pay to avoid grinding. There is nothing wrong with using this ethic. F2Pers tend to like the delayed rewards from grinding and feel that people who don't are lazy, lack a work ethic, or are using their resources to compensate for lack of skill. The other major group hates grinding in games and would rather pay to avoid the grinding option. Again, the most common format of P2P caters to payers but also does not hurt the competitive potential of a hard working F2P player.

SWGoH is not designed on the common pay to avoid grinding model, it is a pay to win game.

If the game used the pay to avoid grinding model then players could pay to avoid the grind and receive the exact same amount of energy usage and experience that F2Pers make by spending time playing the game. Instead, this game allows pay-to-players to gain massive advantages and strides such that a F2Per will be outnumbered and outmatched and will find themselves not competitive enough to challenge the team that is paid for. Essentially this game mirrors an aristocracy where if you have money, you will be elite and if you do not, you will have to work hard to keep up (and who are we kidding--will never be able to).

Does P2P hurt the developer? No--it helps line their pockets, and it is in their best interest to keep making content that force players to pay more in order to stay competitive.

Does P2P hurt the game? That's up for debate. It certainly makes the game unfair because by design the game caters to people with money. This means F2Pers must rely on skill and cunning to survive and remain competitive. In ways this is a microcosm of the Star Wars universe itself. P2P players are the Galactic Empire who have vast resources compared to the Rebel Alliance. F2Pers are the Rebel Alliance who must use their outdated resources to combat a much more well-equipped foe.

Does P2P hurt the gamer? If you pay to play then no, it benefits you. If you are F2P then yes, welcome to the suck.

Personally I think this game is a further example of the economic disparities of our society. The small financial elite separate their self from the ever widening plain of low income earners who work and support the base of the entire structure . All good things though....
    Tosche Station Brewery
    Guild Leader
  • Options
    Necrooooooo
  • Powda
    525 posts Member
    Options
    Oh FFS... It's click bait to drive traffic to their domain. ROFL.

That's pretty bad, even for you guys. :(
  • Options
    Good post Stormy. Ty for some interesting reading. I hope they never shut the server down and keep it up for as long as the movies keep pumping out :)
  • ThePixie
    98 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This is a bumped thread.....POINTLESS. @Shrewd Why would you go searching for this thread?
  • dough
    641 posts Member
    Options
    Some friendly reading on comparing game prices and a possible new perspective on spending money on this growing game ;)

-> Why it's OK to Spend Money on Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes <-

Thank you,
    Stormy
    Team Instinct

oh, look, everybody... our betters have green-lit spending! we no longer have to sit on the edge of our seats!
  • Stormy
    951 posts Member
    Options
    This was an old article and I even removed it from my quick links in signature because I don't think its too relative anymore with the game evolution- but since it's resurfaced- I'm going to say a light investment of a pack (droid pack for example) seems like it could be a small price to pay to get a lot of enjoyment out of this game. This game is not as P2W model as something like Clash Royal- That game ONLY the high spenders are at the top. You pay for a collection of variety here- as if you were buying tools for your tool box. The guy with more tools looks better, prob the guy you want to hire, and seems like he might be the best. HOWEVER- the guy with just a couple tools can pretty much do the same job, or at least be just as competitive- just on a smaller range of variety.
  • Options
    Clearly a petition which is a violation of ToS, please delete immediately moderators.
This discussion has been closed.