Will the next tournament use ally points?

I've been playing long enough to know that decisions made for one event can easily be reversed for the next one. There is now a temptation for players to hoard ally points and convert GW currency into points, in preparation for the next tournament.

If the refresh currency was to be changed again, we could all end up with a few million ally points and nothing worthwhile to spend them on.

Can @EA_Jesse please confirm whether ally points will definitely be used for the next tournament? We previously received developer advice regarding ally points which turned out, over time, to be false (through no fault of his own). It's important that we, as players, make the right choices this time.

Replies

• Options
    I guess CG will rotate the tourment currency each time, so I gonna stock both GW tokens as well as arena tokens just in case.

If they chose to use Catina token, then I have to say well done guys you get me again:)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    pchen3082 wrote: »
    I guess CG will rotate the tourment currency each time, so I gonna stock both GW tokens as well as arena tokens just in case.

If they chose to use Catina token, then I have to say well done guys you get me again:)

they also have another ace up their sleeve, the possibility to make the refreshes cost credits. Should be a fun day on the forum if they actually do that ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    pchen3082 wrote: »

they also have another ace up their sleeve, the possibility to make the refreshes cost credits. Should be a fun day on the forum if they actually do that ;)

Don't give them ideas!
  • Options
    My guess: It will use SIM Tickets.
  • Options
    Probably cantina energy
  • Options
    click on the ally points in data card store, it says: "Ally points are used to purchase bronzium data cards from the store and to refresh characters in squad tournaments". so we are definitely using ally points in the next tournament.
  • Options
    BattlezeD wrote: »
    click on the ally points in data card store, it says: "Ally points are used to purchase bronzium data cards from the store and to refresh characters in squad tournaments". so we are definitely using ally points in the next tournament.

That's a great find, I hadn't spotted it! Since they've left that in the game, I think you're right. It's safe to assume that the next tournament will use ally points as well.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Definitely maybe.

It did say in game the first time you gained ally coins after the update that they were used to buy bronzium and refresh in tournaments. But that could always change.
  • Options
    Frankly, sitting there refreshing all day is beyond dull, so i'm spending my ally points on bronziums...
    "No Hassle" guild, for those who want star wars, not drama wars!
  • Options
    Probably two tournies for each new char. The first uses crystals and second ally points.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    darkensoul wrote: »
    Probably two tournies for each new char. The first uses crystals and second ally points.

I could live with that. But that won't cause spending, too many ppl will wait for second time around. That makes the ppl who will spend spend less because the chase for the top will be slowed.

Ally points won't cause spending either, but I think they were just trying out the crystal refresh to evaluate the revenue stream. if it had worked I don't think they would have gone to ally coins.
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    rawman wrote: »

LOL. Does that mean that next tourney, they will start adding more ways to easily get SIM tickets?

The more I think about it, the more I think there should just be a fixed number of battles, with opponents chosen for you instead of by choice. I don't know much about tournament mechanics in general, but I've never seen a tournament of anything where the winner is just the person who participates more. The points system is great if everyone had the same number of battles. That way, it wouldn't also eat up your whole day just trying to climb rank.
  • Options
    crzydroid wrote: »

LOL. Does that mean that next tourney, they will start adding more ways to easily get SIM tickets?

The more I think about it, the more I think there should just be a fixed number of battles, with opponents chosen for you instead of by choice. I don't know much about tournament mechanics in general, but I've never seen a tournament of anything where the winner is just the person who participates more. The points system is great if everyone had the same number of battles. That way, it wouldn't also eat up your whole day just trying to climb rank.

Agreed, although I can't claim to know the perfect solution to the problem. Assuming we'll all have ample ally points to spare in a month's time, the winner will be the player with the most expendable TIME.

The problem with time is that I can't buy it using crystals! My greatest opponent during the next tournament will be my family commitments during the weekend, and no Wiggs combo will beat that meta.
  • Options
    I've heard it will require training droids. First refresh is a 1* and every refresh after requires a higher star. Start hording these droids.
  • Options
    new currency called august currency lol
  • Options
    It'll be credits next.
  • Options
    The tournament wasn't that bad really, I could have ranked higher but didn't have the time. Another factor was that there was only 5 shards difference between 1000 and 100, so I couldn't really be bothered anyway. They should have made it 30 shards for 200 to 100 instead of 25; a lot of my guildies were annoyed at being left 5 shards away from unlocking shorty after investing quite a bit of time and effort.

The finish time was also slightly peeving for Brits, as I am sure most were going to watch fireworks for Bonfire night (I was).

I am also confused by the apparent lack of monetisation of the tourneys if they continue to use ally points only; although it might be a case of softly, softly catchy monkey, I suppose.

Definitely an improvement on the amount of content, I would be happy if there were a tourney more than once a month.
  • Options
    Sorry if that last post was a bit irrelevant; I thought I was on another thread.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    Even if the next tournament uses ally points, there's no reason to spend your GW currency now on them. It's better to save up and hedge your bets.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    I think it could well be ally points in a future tourney!
  • V1p3rdyn4sty
    2674 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Would they dare use arena tokens? I actually still have 2 toons to farm from there :( maybe there's not enough surplus of these to use in a tournament.
  • Options
    Thanks Obama! Oh... wait... Thanks Trump!
  • Options
    Would they dare use arena tokens? I actually still have 2 toons to farm from there :( maybe there's not enough surplus of these to use in a tournament.

Wouldn't stun me but the weight would have to be different because arena points = credits.

• Options
    tRRRey wrote: »
    Even if the next tournament uses ally points, there's no reason to spend your GW currency now on them. It's better to save up and hedge your bets.

But then you have to spend crystals to refresh the shop
  • Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    crzydroid wrote: »

Agreed, although I can't claim to know the perfect solution to the problem. Assuming we'll all have ample ally points to spare in a month's time, the winner will be the player with the most expendable TIME.

The problem with time is that I can't buy it using crystals! My greatest opponent during the next tournament will be my family commitments during the weekend, and no Wiggs combo will beat that meta.

Specially when you need a few thousand points to catch the top 15, and each battle gives you around 6 or 8 points...
    I had the ally points, the GW tokens, but not the time. Specially because last day was on weekend.
  • Options
    Don't think there are any Ally Points left, so I hope not hahaha.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    tRRRey wrote: »

But then you have to spend crystals to refresh the shop

You can spend 9600 gw tokens daily for ally points, no need to refresh
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    That's the problem, they have to keep changing things.

1. Release something with design flaws
    2. Widespread complaints or manipulation
    3. Change things
    4. Go to Step 1

Mods went through 3 iterations of that process, tournament is on the second one. Guild raid rewards after switching, maybe 3-4, I lost count.

Coding bugs will always exist but wonder why so many poor design elements get through. It's like they are only vetted by 1 or 2 people. Take for example giving a 4* level 50 toon easy to get mods which give them 25k hps from 8k.
  • Options
    Coding bugs will always exist but wonder why so many poor design elements get through. It's like they are only vetted by 1 or 2 people.

The real problem is that they keep trying to add in new stuff tied into already broken/buggy code. Take stealth for instance. They've said (if I remember right) that Teebo's issue is in the game core stealth mechanics. They obviously aren't going to fix it, but each time they add a character that utilizes stealth, it's bugged. They need to take a month away from adding new buggy garbage and hammer out the core coding. If there's a typo in the first section of the core code, it's going to have a cascading effect on everything after.
  • Wacka
    22 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thought the only stealth bugs were with Teebo's leadership ability conflicting with his stealth special ability.