God Bless the People who put weak toons in tourney!!

Prev134
Shout out to the people who put weak toons in the tourney!!!! God bless them!!

I've been doing a million tourney battles and most of the teams are 42k~48k but there have been a bunch of teams with a power of like 14k~18k and it makes doing these battles so much better when I don't have to do a bunch of hard teams!

Replies

• Options
    Hehe true
  • Options
    Next tourney I'm putting in all my lame toons.
    Btw in one of the weak teams I saw a 4* general greiveious !
  • EnDrX
    8 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Its not a bad idea! Next time we can help each other! :)
  • Options

I've been doing a million tourney battles and most of the teams are 42k~48k but there have been a bunch of teams with a power of like 14k~18k and it makes doing these battles so much better when I don't have to do a bunch of hard teams!

This isn't done by accident. These are guild members teaming up to get easy points. Yes you benefit but they benefit more. If you do the same, you would just be helping them.

• Kylorenisdead2
    101 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Danbloo wrote: »

This isn't done by accident. These are guild members teaming up to get easy points. Yes you benefit but they benefit more. If you do the same, you would just be helping them.

@Danbloo Obviously they are doing it on purpose, I know that. But how do they benefit more?
  • VoodooKing
    101 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

@Danbloo Obviously they are doing it on purpose, I know that. But how do they benefit more?

Cheaper refreshes hence more credits for battles.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    great idea, let's all set weak defensive teams. Make rosters totally irrelevant and make the tournament even more time consuming than it already is. Everyone wins!
    /sarcasme
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options

I did it on purpose.

How does having a strong team benefit me more? How does having a weak team benefit me more? Why does my defensive team matter to me at all?

It doesn't.

Worst case scenario, I give extra points to 1% of the other players in my shard. Best case scenario, the game matches me with weaker opponents because it sees how crappy my defensive team is.

They have given us exactly ZERO incentive to care about our defensive teams. So I don't care.
    Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Arkham wrote: »

I did it on purpose.

How does having a strong team benefit me more? How does having a weak team benefit me more? Why does my defensive team matter to me at all?

It doesn't.

Worst case scenario, I give extra points to 1% of the other players in my shard. Best case scenario, the game matches me with weaker opponents because it sees how **** my defensive team is.

They have given us exactly ZERO incentive to care about our defensive teams. So I don't care.

So you don't care that others score "free" points agianst you because there might be a chance it affects your leaderboard difficulty?
    your opponents can't battle you back to back, but they can attack you multiple times. (in case you didnt know)
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

I did it on purpose.

It doesn't.

Worst case scenario, I give extra points to 1% of the other players in my shard. Best case scenario, the game matches me with weaker opponents because it sees how **** my defensive team is.

So you don't care that others score "free" points agianst you because there might be a chance it affects your leaderboard difficulty?
    your opponents can't battle you back to back, but they can attack you multiple times. (in case you didnt know)

/shrug

Why should I care, in a pool of thousands? Their success won't hinder mine. My free time is the limiting factor.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

I did it on purpose.

It doesn't.

/shrug

Why should I care, in a pool of thousands? Their success won't hinder mine. My free time is the limiting factor.

their success directly hinders yours...
    And if free time is an issue for you, you should most definitely not set a weak defence team... you're basically giving freebees for players with more time.

• Fitz
    302 posts Member
    Options
    OP you fail to envision the whole situation here. Plus you are stubborn about it.
  • Options
    lol.

Remember people. We live in an age where facts are optional to people. They literally do not matter anymore. This post is absolutely factual. Therefore irrelevant.
  • Options
    Arkham wrote:

I did it on purpose.

It doesn't.

I agree with Arkham. The defensive team is indifferent when you just hand your players over to AI. We get 0 benefit from setting a defensive team, other than the "keeping it hard for other guys". Why not add a little flavor into the mix. Good luck to all against my all Jawa team :)
  • Phu
    17 posts Member
    Options
    I went with team black, just because they look cool. Emperor,Vader,88 and the two tie fighters.
  • Options
    I did this as well. With no benefits for winning on defence, there really is no point in setting up a strong team. The best thing about it, is the person attacking you can use a team that doesn't cost as much to refresh, or even better get some points with toons they wouldn't ever use in the tournament anyway.
    If they don't change the way these tournaments work soon, someone is, if they haven't already, going to create a program that plays the tournament non stop for you.
  • Options

I did it on purpose.

It doesn't.

/shrug

And if free time is an issue for you, you should most definitely not set a weak defence team... you're basically giving freebees for players with more time.

Lemme try a different approach ...

If you've ever played Mario Kart, you know that a mushroom is more useful than a red turtle shell. Why is this? When you use a mushroom, you speed up. Another way of seeing this is that EVERYONE else slows down.
    When you use a red turtle shell, one other person slows down.
    Slowing down 7 drivers is much better than slowing down 1 driver.

In this game, offensive teams are the mushrooms and defensive teams are the red turtle shells.
    When you use a strong offensive team, you progress. Another way of seeing this is that EVERYONE else fails to progress.
    When you use a strong defensive team, one other person fails to progress.
    Now: Slowing down 3000 other players is 3 ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE greater a benefit for me than slowing down 1 player.

Orders of magnitude are big. 3 orders of magnitude is typically enough to call the smaller thing inconsequential in comparison.

Tell me how a defensive team benefits ME, and I'll consider assigning a strong one. Otherwise ... you're welcome.
  • Fitz
    302 posts Member
    Options
    Now I like that. Mushrooms for everyone! O_o
  • Options
    You're welcome.
  • Options
    I would like to see a tournament set up around the time it takes a player to complete a certain amount of increased difficulty battles. Every player gets X amount of battles and see who can complete them the fastest.
  • Options
    I don't see how it matters plenty of people are cheating the system anyway so good on you for flipping the tournament the bird in the only way you can.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @Arkham i honestly don't know what you're trying to say with that mario kart analogy. You're not slowing 1 person down with setting a strong defence team, but you're also not speeding everyone else up (wich you're potentially doing when you set a weak defence team).
    What more incentive do you need to set a good def team?
    Furthermore, if more and more people set a weak def team the tournament becomes more and more time consuming. I don't think i need to explain why...
    I honestly can't believe how many people in this thread think it's a good idea to set weak def teams. Tournaments are boring. Encountering a weak team is fun until you realize that everyone around the same rank also encounters that weak team, wich kinda makes it a must to attack it instead of free bonus points.
    Post edited by J0K3R on
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options

I did it on purpose.

It doesn't.

/shrug

Lemme try a different approach ...

If you've ever played Mario Kart, you know that a mushroom is more useful than a red turtle shell. Why is this? When you use a mushroom, you speed up. Another way of seeing this is that EVERYONE else slows down.
    When you use a red turtle shell, one other person slows down.
    Slowing down 7 drivers is much better than slowing down 1 driver.

In this game, offensive teams are the mushrooms and defensive teams are the red turtle shells.
    When you use a strong offensive team, you progress. Another way of seeing this is that EVERYONE else fails to progress.
    When you use a strong defensive team, one other person fails to progress.
    Now: Slowing down 3000 other players is 3 ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE greater a benefit for me than slowing down 1 player.

Orders of magnitude are big. 3 orders of magnitude is typically enough to call the smaller thing inconsequential in comparison.

Tell me how a defensive team benefits ME, and I'll consider assigning a strong one. Otherwise ... you're welcome.

But with the "tournament" you can have both the mushroom and the turtle shell.

What you set as defense has no baring on how what team you use on offense.

So slowing those players that can knock you from rank 25 to rank 26 is relevant.

I like seeing the easy teams also. Have been using my ewok team with cheap refreshes for another 100+ points.
  • Options
    Here is the simplified version:

Facts 1: Setting a useless defensive team = free points to EVERYONE except you.
    Fact 2: Every team can battle you at least once--some reports of up to 5 or 6 times over the course of the tournament.
    Fact 3: Once you get down to the plus 7 & plus 3 range, every flawless battle is worth 50 points.
    Fact 4: You obviously cannot battle yourself.

Conclusion: Putting in a weak team nets MANY other players around you an easy ~100 points (if you consider that they can beat your squad with toons they wouldn't use against a "normal" defensive team). This means you are giving everyone around you, except yourself, a boost ahead of you. This may not mean much at all if you're competing in the 1000's range...but it will be amplified if you're trying to maintain top 100.
  • Options
    At the same time, putting a strong defensive team doesn't help much of people can take your spot without having to fight you. They will just attackn another team and get the points. There is no incentive to put strong teams unless everyone does it. But then the same could be said about putting weak teams. Except not everyone has to put weak teams for you to get the benefit, just a good percentage, like 40%
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    At the same time, putting a strong defensive team doesn't help much of people can take your spot without having to fight you. They will just attackn another team and get the points. There is no incentive to put strong teams unless everyone does it. But then the same could be said about putting weak teams. Except not everyone has to put weak teams for you to get the benefit, just a good percentage, like 40%

I honestly don't get it. You realize that a weak defense team is going to hurt your performance, but at the same time you think a good team doesn't help... It's such an obvious contradiction..
    Just because they can still take your spot by attacking other teams, doesn't mean that they won't get even more points if your def team was weak.
  • Options

I honestly don't get it. You realize that a weak defense team is going to hurt your performance, but at the same time you think a good team doesn't help... It's such an obvious contradiction..
    Just because they can still take your spot by attacking other teams, doesn't mean that they won't get even more points if your def team was weak.

I think the main problem is that some people care more about the tournament than others. If you don't care as much, you probably don't care about putting in a super strong defensive team. In your case, you seem to be extremely uptight about everyone else putting in a weak defensive team. Why does that even affect you? Why do you care so much about other peoples defense teams? If they want to put in a weak defensive team and make a few other people have a nicer day when they see it, why are you going to stop them?
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options

But do you know how much AP they have to use to fight a legit team as opposed to the cupcake defense you set? It's not just about getting points, it's about getting them efficiently. I'll attack a weak squad everytime I see it because I know it will only cost me 0-500 AP instead of 2.5-5k.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    If the devs would just make it so you get points for defense, it would change everything. First, you would not want to put in a crazy high team, because nobody would fight you. Second, it would encourage people to put in defensive teams based on synergy, rather than points, in order to entice more people to fight them.

The problem is with the colluding. Guilds would instantly just fight their own to build up defensive points. Devs could put a ban on fighting a team more than one time to fix this problem.
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Here is the simplified version:

Facts 1: Setting a useless defensive team = free points to EVERYONE except you.
    Fact 2: Every team can battle you at least once--some reports of up to 5 or 6 times over the course of the tournament.
    Fact 3: Once you get down to the plus 7 & plus 3 range, every flawless battle is worth 50 points.
    Fact 4: You obviously cannot battle yourself.

Conclusion: Putting in a weak team nets MANY other players around you an easy ~100 points (if you consider that they can beat your squad with toons they wouldn't use against a "normal" defensive team). This means you are giving everyone around you, except yourself, a boost ahead of you. This may not mean much at all if you're competing in the 1000's range...but it will be amplified if you're trying to maintain top 100.

Yup. You are basically giving all the competitors around you a free full score every time they battle. Now, you can't battle the same team over and over again, but if an opponent gets to fight your team 2 or 3 times over the course of the tournament, that could be the difference between them ranking higher than you, which could cost you Tie Fighter Advanced shards or other rewards.

EDIT: Also if your defense team is really bad, then you are allowing people to use a C or D squad against it, which they otherwise might not have been able to use. Saves them a refresh on their A team to score against another team.