Leak: Narrative Description for Shard Shop. Max character stars for GOH is 7?

Prev1
xJazzx
808 posts Member
edited January 2016
Leak from Game data files: "Congratulations! You are now part of an elite group of players who can trade in extra shards from your existing 7* Characters.  All of your extra shards are automatically converted to shard currency every time you visit the shop. You can spend this currency on anything in the shop. However unlike other Shipments, the shard shop only resets once per day and cannot be manually refreshed. Remember, the more Characters you have at 7*, the more shard currency you get when you visit the Shard Shop."

Do you have guesses on what to expect?

Or do you see potential issues?

Chip in with your thoughts...

@Naecabon brought up a good point about 8* characters. Whales must be very careful and accept the risks before clicking on shard shops. Going in there means all your extra shards will be gone and if they lift the star limit to 8, you will rage again at the loss of extra shards that could have helped you get 8* characters.
Post edited by xJazzx on

Replies

• Nerfherder17
    2094 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'll take a stab at it. 1 shard will be worth 100 tokens. It will take 400 tokens to buy one shard from your choice 4-6 characters in the shop. You can exchange 4 shards per day, no refreshes.
  • Options
    I'll take a stab at it. 1 shard will be worth 100 tokens. It will take 400 tokens to buy one shard from your choice 4-6 characters in the shop. You can exchange 4 shards per day, no refreshes.

Good thought. I think it should be 5 shards which is consistent with all their shipment shards.
  • Options
    xJazzx wrote: »

Good thought. I think it should be 5 shards which is consistent with all their shipment shards.

This is what I think. 400 is consistent currency for other purchases, as well as 5 shards. So basically, a 5:1 exchange rate.

On another note, how is an announcement that was made like a week ago by the devs exactly a 'leak'?
  • Options
    I'm curious what toons we will get from shipments, cause that non-crystal resetable cooldown is interesting, especially with context for the new toon... Only hard farmable ones (Chromium?) + him?
  • Options
    Mittens wrote: »

This is what I think. 400 is consistent currency for other purchases, as well as 5 shards. So basically, a 5:1 exchange rate.

On another note, how is an announcement that was made like a week ago by the devs exactly a 'leak'?

This description is taken from the official game files.
  • Options
    only from 7* characters?
    That kinda sucks, I was hoping to ditch my Royal Guard shards xD
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    CG needs to CONFIRM for us that they're never upping * count to 8+, if they're FORCING US to turn in all of our shards when we visit the shop.

CG, YOU MUST TELL US THIS AND CONFIRM WE WILL NOT BE GETTING 8* EVER

http://imgur.com/gallery/bZvzVdg
  • Options
    Lol nae, history isn't showing us much positives with communication from cg + ea lately. Truthful comment probably would be "We don't know our own plans"
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Naecabon wrote: »
    CG needs to CONFIRM for us that they're never upping * count to 8+, if they're FORCING US to turn in all of our shards when we visit the shop.

I'd love this too. Won't happen though.
  • Options
    Yeah, if the shard conversion is going to be automatic you better let us know that we will never need those shards in the future.
    GamingUpgrade.com - Gaming Guides | oTradeMark - YouTube Channel | Team iNstinct - Guild
  • Options
    No they don't.
  • Options
    Is anyone here actively acquiring additional shards (sid, lumi, etc) on purpose with any reasonable degree of confidence that they'll be able to use them well in the share shop?

I'm tempted to start...
  • Options

@CG_JohnSalera @EA_Jesse @CG_AaronNemoyten. can you help address this issue? If your shard shop takes away all shards beyond 7 stars, does this mean there will never be 8* characters? thanks
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Remember, the more Characters you have at 7*, the more shard currency you get when you visit the Shard Shop."
    So basically: unless you're a whale, never even set foot in there. I hope that setup is not actually as dumb as it sounds.
    I get that they want to discourage people from just getting one 7* and farming more shards for it, but since the conversion is automatic this means we can't even look around without getting shafted. The forums are going to be filled with complaints.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options

7* (read $800 to $1600 to max a new Chromium-only character) must be the max. Confirmation would be great, but I won't bet on it. The bet I would take is: lots of players, including whales, quit and make a ruckus if there is another $$$ tier to maxing out characters.
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Agee with comments above
    - can't force exchange unless there is confirmation there is no other use to excess shards ever
    - limiting shard purchase in shipments for 7 stars would be appropriate but unlikely given it permits people to encourages crystal spend now with update. It's just encourages ea to make a high cost for purchases in shard exchange. 5:1 seems reasonable some am tempering my expectations at higher premium. Justification with me "end game" functionality used the for GW updates. I struggle with the concept of creating "end game" content for a game still in development.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Remember, the more Characters you have at 7*, the more shard currency you get when you visit the Shard Shop."
    So basically: unless you're a whale, never even set foot in there. I hope that setup is not actually as dumb as it sounds.
    I get that they want to discourage people from just getting one 7* and farming more shards for it, but since the conversion is automatic this means we can't even look around without getting shafted. The forums are going to be filled with complaints.

Well if you only have a few shards and one 7*, you can visit and poke around and not lose out on much.

But how many 7* would you want before trading in those shards? I guess that'll be a personal decision. People will post the formula soon enough after it goes live.

And yes people, obviously this means there will never be 8* characters. Why would there be? Do you really want there to be? God, I hope not. Level cap and gear increases are enough without farming another 125 shards or whatever they came up with. Let us finish a character and build our roster, FFS.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    They could avoid these problems by simply making a button on each character's sheet that you press to convert excess shards to currency in this shop. That's it, problem over. Or put it in the shop.
    Doing anything "automatically" with valuable resources is ASKING for complaints.
  • Options
    I imagine this new shard currency will show up in whatever $100 deal they come out with. Maybe 4* Yoda, 4* QGJ, 6k crystals and a bunch of shard currency?
  • Options
    Puglio wrote: »

Well if you only have a few shards and one 7*, you can visit and poke around and not lose out on much.

But how many 7* would you want before trading in those shards? I guess that'll be a personal decision. People will post the formula soon enough after it goes live.

And yes people, obviously this means there will never be 8* characters. Why would there be? Do you really want there to be? God, I hope not. Level cap and gear increases are enough without farming another 125 shards or whatever they came up with. Let us finish a character and build our roster, FFS.

you'll never be apart of the cash grab team =p

• Options
    My worry is if they have a limited selection of caracters in the shop and only a 24 hour reset.

And if they note how often they reset

Or if it's like the shipments where it's a limited selection a day then resets to a new selection
  • Options
    I'm worried about the efficacy of the whole thing, notwithstanding the fact that it was implemented to give excess 7* shards value, not necessarily to make farming toons easier.

Example: if you are looking to farm a specific toon and he can only appear at most once a day in the shard shop and assuming you can only buy one shard per toon, what does that really amount to? I want to know if you can buy more than one shard per toon per day, or if it's more like 5 shards per toon etc.

Furthermore, will 7* toons appear in the shop? It looks like aquiring shards for a specific character via the shard shop isn't going to be ideal, but it would just add insult to injury if sidious keeps appearing and you already have him 7*.
  • Options
    While I doubt they will answer anything regarding datamined information, I do hope someone reads this and rethink the shardshop.
  • Options
    All characters need a trade-in value in my mind and anyone should be able to trade any characters they choose. If they limit it to people with excess shards only, 99% of the customers will have no use for it but to see it, which will just make more anger than good..
  • Options
    All characters need a trade-in value in my mind and anyone should be able to trade any characters they choose. If they limit it to people with excess shards only, 99% of the customers will have no use for it but to see it, which will just make more anger than good..

Doubt they can do this. that's why they force you to exchange all your shards.
  • Options
    This shard shop is pointless for me at this time. I don't have any extra shards to trade. So, what 's the point if 99% of the player base can't use it? This seams like a worthless updated.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Reddplague wrote: »
    So, what 's the point if 99% of the player base can't use it?

To get the people with more dollars than sense to open their wallets again. That is the prime motivation of this feature. It's not for you and me, it's for people who spend the price of a car on chromium packs, so they won't feel like they've "wasted" their purchase when they get shards for characters they already have.
    This also gives CG an excuse to keep the chromium packs giving shards for characters that are already maxed out: "well, you can use the shard exchange shop". They want to keep doing this because they want to keep the pool of characters diluted so that the whales keep spending $$$$$ trying to get the new characters while most of the time getting the old ones.
    That's all this is about: facilitating chromium pack sales.
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options

I will agree they should confirm/deny it but weather they do or not makes no difference in reality. You have to decide what to fo (or not do) in your game with the information presented. More info may help/influence your decision BUT its your decision and no mayter what info is given (or not given) understand your not forced to do ANYTHING in this game. Its all up to you and you alone
  • Xeox
    68 posts Member
    Options
    This shard shop is pointless for me at this time. I don't have any extra shards to trade. So, what 's the point if 99% of the player base can't use it? This seams like a worthless updated.

"Something isn't for me so therefor its worthless update"

Here's an idea

At some point this update that apply to many ahead of you may one day be useful to you and you will be grateful its here. So thank others who have the need for this now and are waiting for it so it will be ready for you when you are needing it
  • Options
    So, what 's the point if 99% of the player base can't use it?

To get the people with more dollars than sense to open their wallets again. That is the prime motivation of this feature. It's not for you and me, it's for people who spend the price of a car on chromium packs, so they won't feel like they've "wasted" their purchase when they get shards for characters they already have.
    This also gives CG an excuse to keep the chromium packs giving shards for characters that are already maxed out: "well, you can use the shard exchange shop". They want to keep doing this because they want to keep the pool of characters diluted so that the whales keep spending $$$$$ trying to get the new characters while most of the time getting the old ones.
    That's all this is about: facilitating chromium pack sales.

Nailed it! Why would f2p need this? The only time you will have extra shards is when you finish GW and are thrown a few. I have said it before. These guys act like they don't know what's happening, but they certainly put the hours in to craft this niche for the premium players to feel justified in spending more money. It's never a bad thing when your business can get back items at a 5:1 ratio and convince people that you are doing it for their benefit. Lolz!