Who's the big spender on YOUR server?

Prev1
WhipiT
591 posts Member
edited December 2015
Honeybeekeeper is the one on my server. I can beat him now but won't be long till I have to pass the torch lol. All respect. That took a lot of crystals.

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2015/12/11/Screenshot_2015-12-10-19-47-52.png

Replies

• Otar
    252 posts Member
    Options
    You are WhipiT! lol
  • Dark
    199 posts Member
    Options
    I have spent 300$ .. #10 was my best arena rank. Lvl 50 at the moment, #1 is lvl 56.
    Ally Code: 859-197-534
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    I don't have any problem with people spending lots of money on whatever they want, but I'm not sure what is so respect-worthy of it.
    Anyone can win a P2W game with a fat wallet. I'm more impressed with people who can be competitive (or just have fun) without spending boatloads of cash.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Otar wrote: »
    You are WhipiT! lol

Lol not quite! To get a seven star maul you have to spend over a grand. I'm not that well off in real life. If I was I would lol.
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    I don't have any problem with people spending lots of money on whatever they want, but I'm not sure what is so respect-worthy of it.
    Anyone can win a P2W game with a fat wallet. I'm more impressed with people who can be competitive (or just have fun) without spending boatloads of cash.

I'm impressed by anyone who is financially secure enough to drop that amount of money. With kids & a wife I will never be that secure to do that. Instead of being jealous I have the attitude good for them. Any of us that have spent little amounts of money secretly wonder what it would be like to just chain spam chronium cards like they were free. Well Honeybee lived that dream lol.
  • Options
    I too don't have an issue with people buying up and I am a free player. My problem is with the pricing scheme EA has concocted here. Poor Dark above spent $300 on this and he's still not even close to the top, which is crazy. I've done the math, they could have charged $5 for the game and 80% less on upgrades and still made the same money. I'd be curious to see how many will spend $300 on this?? This is not Playstation or Xbox, this is Android....
  • Dark
    199 posts Member
    Options
    I too don't have an issue with people buying up and I am a free player. My problem is with the pricing scheme EA has concocted here. Poor Dark above spent $300 on this and he's still not even close to the top, which is crazy. I've done the math, they could have charged $5 for the game and 80% less on upgrades and still made the same money. I'd be curious to see how many will spend $300 on this?? This is not Playstation or Xbox, this is Android....

Yep .. and to make it worse .. character shards drop rate have been nerfed.
    No more spending I guess.
    Ally Code: 859-197-534
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    WhipiT wrote: »
    Any of us that have spent little amounts of money secretly wonder what it would be like to just chain spam chronium cards like they were free. Well Honeybee lived that dream lol.
    I'm not so sure it's a dream. Games like these are not designed to appeal to rich people who just happen to have thousands of dollars kicking around. They are designed to appeal to people with impulse control problems. That doesn't mean everyone who spends a lot of money has an impulse control problem, but the design is entirely based on the psychology of addiction, it's all well-researched and documented, rat-in-a-maze type stuff.
    My wife and I make a comfortable living and I spend pretty much $0 on any other form of entertainment. I could spend $1000 a month on this without any problem. But if I did, I'd consider it not a dream but a sign that I need to get help.
  • Options

I understand your logic but this system was setup by EA. Had EA made the focus less money oriented, people wouldn't feel compelled to spend to stay on top. It could have been focused on teams, strategy and being smart, rather than using money to buy experience..
  • Options
    $300 is a very small drop in the bucket compared to what some people spend. That 7* Maul is impressive and I'd say doing that with $1K would involve a high degree of luck as well.
  • Options
    I wont call him out, but the #1 dude on my server is Lv 56....next highest is like 49 or 50. This dude is dropping mad cash on energy.
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Solid points
    Any of us that have spent little amounts of money secretly wonder what it would be like to just chain spam chronium cards like they were free. Well Honeybee lived that dream lol.
    I'm not so sure it's a dream. Games like these are not designed to appeal to rich people who just happen to have thousands of dollars kicking around. They are designed to appeal to people with impulse control problems. That doesn't mean everyone who spends a lot of money has an impulse control problem, but the design is entirely based on the psychology of addiction, it's all well-researched and documented, rat-in-a-maze type stuff.
    My wife and I make a comfortable living and I spend pretty much $0 on any other form of entertainment. I could spend $1000 a month on this without any problem. But if I did, I'd consider it not a dream but a sign that I need to get help.

Extremely good points. I've been into mobile gaming for a few years and spent around 50 bucks in that time. And that wasn't even on IAP'S.

But I am a Star Wars fan that was let down by all other Star Wars games on mobile. And I probably fall under your description with this game. I got excited at launch and dropped a couple hundred. Wife mafe fun of me so badly it will be a bit before I will invest anymore lol. I got carried away to say the least. No excuses.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You've been playing since before launch and $200 isn't that much in two months. I know a guy who spent $3000 within the first 10 days he started playing.
    I think like anything else it depends on the circumstances. Someone could be a millionnaire and decide to spend a ton on a game like this, fine, have fun. Or if you make a more ordinary living and want to spend $100 a week on this instead of booze or eating out or buying Magic cards or some other hobby, fine.
    But let's not kid ourselves, these games are designed to exploit the natural tendencies many people have to keep gambling to get what they want. It's no coincidence that the best stuff comes in random packs. It's no coincidence that every game has a PvP component. It's no coincidence that they let you pay to advance faster. It's all psychological manipulation.
    I just quit a game I would have spent more on because it became clear they would never make the items needed to compete available other than through random chance and I got tired of it. This game does at least offer options where you can make a viable team through achievement and not just dollars, and that's part of why I'm here. I have not and never will buy a "lottery ticket pack" and if they change the game so that becomes required, I will leave this game as well.
    At any rate, again, everyone can decide for themselves, but I'd rather glorify someone who chooses to stink in this game and give $3000 to charity than someone who chooses to give it to a company that made $875 million in profit last year.
  • Options
    Dark wrote: »
    I have spent 300$ .. #10 was my best arena rank. Lvl 50 at the moment, #1 is lvl 56.

If you spend $300 and you play it for a year then that's less than a dollar a day. If you play it for six months then that's less than a cup of coffee a day. If you play if for three months then that's less than takeout food instead of a pack lunch. Plus you get at least an hour of fun every day. When you think about it that way it is a pretty good deal.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    You've been playing since before launch and $200 isn't that much in two months. I know a guy who spent $3000 within the first 10 days he started playing.
    I think like anything else it depends on the circumstances. Someone could be a millionnaire and decide to spend a ton on a game like this, fine, have fun. Or if you make a more ordinary living and want to spend $100 a week on this instead of booze or eating out or buying Magic cards or some other hobby, fine.
    But let's not kid ourselves, these games are designed to exploit the natural tendencies many people have to keep gambling to get what they want. It's no coincidence that the best stuff comes in random packs. It's no coincidence that every game has a PvP component. It's no coincidence that they let you pay to advance faster. It's all psychological manipulation.
    I just quit a game I would have spent more on because it became clear they would never make the items needed to compete available other than through random chance and I got tired of it. This game does at least offer options where you can make a viable team through achievement and not just dollars, and that's part of why I'm here. I have not and never will buy a "lottery ticket pack" and if they change the game so that becomes required, I will leave this game as well.
    At any rate, again, everyone can decide for themselves, but I'd rather glorify someone who chooses to stink in this game and give $3000 to charity than someone who chooses to give it to a company that made $875 million in profit last year.

Correct, when i first began i swore i would limit myself to $200, ended up pulling Obi/lando/darth etc and got them to 5*, dropped another $2000 trying for 7*. gg
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Correct, when i first began i swore i would limit myself to $200, ended up pulling Obi/lando/darth etc and got them to 5*, dropped another $2000 trying for 7*. gg

Geez brother gg. My wife would have lynched me in the front yard from a tree. If not for that I could see me doing the same thing. I have money to spend but being I have a family I gotta put a limit on it.
    Post edited by Hozilla on
  • Regeneration
    303 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Geez brother gg. My wife would have lynched me in the front yard from a tree. If not for that I could see me doing the same thing. I have money to spend but being I have a family I gotta put a limit on it.

Yeah i suppose it helps that i'm still a bachelor lol.
    I remember 2 mornings ago in class i wantedold ben so bad (he was the only top tier toon i was missing) $20 8card bundle quickly turned into $450 that hour. Good thing is i got him lmao. He was the last one in the 8pack and before was just his shard.
    Post edited by Hozilla on
  • Options
    above poster is right, the reason why f2p games make huge money through random boxes is the dopamine rush people get when they gamble which keeps me coming back for more. the kicker being its legal to offer this slot machines to minors.
  • Options
    Hold your horses guys. There will be late comers who spend much more. Like other games. One or two guys on my server probably have put $1000-2000 on refills only.
  • Options
    So what I'm getting out of this thread is that EA would be doing a lot better if you all weren't married lol.
    If I see one more **** attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself!
  • Options
    Never. I have Darth Sidious & Old Daka & havent spent a penny. Im proud of that spending takes no skill whatsoever. Lord knows if any of us spent hundreds of dollars a week we'd easily be on top.
  • Options
    I can't help it! Once they advertised the assassin droid pack to me, the slope only got more slippery and I fell the whole way down. :'( It's not even like they were clever with the naming of Meatbag Mayhem. They just picked a reference everyone knows to try to make the characters recognizable and appealing, like with Ackbar and Han. That being said, I am a sucker for collecting figures/heroes. Hopefully they don't neglect the KOTOR cast in the wake of the new film. Would love to see Mission with a Scoundrel synergy, even though she was more of a crafty street kid than a grifter or criminal. I haven't even seen most of the Clone Wars media, yet my collection is filled with random characters from it, via cash shop. Go figure. At least there's always Dark Helmet to work towards.
    "Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • Options
    My server's big spender is a lev 56 Qui Gon Jin 7 starred.. The top ten guys are 3 lev lower than him..
  • Pure_Pazaak
    386 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ilyanor wrote: »
    My server's big spender is a lev 56 Qui Gon Jin 7 starred.. The top ten guys are 3 lev lower than him..

Wow! I thought spending a few hundred was a big waste of money. Guys like that still aren't as bad as the top spenders in Heroes of Dragon Age, although it's still basically the same model. I think you get a bit more value, even despite the random chance of rolling only shards instead of characters. On the other hand, this developer is much worse when it comes to fair compensation on energy refill spending.
    "Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • Options
    Until they come out with a Shard swap system, myself and other heavy spenders (yeah we're nuts), are keeping our wallets in check. There are diminishing returns on investment.
    SWGoHCantina.com - Database of everything SWGoH. Fear the Boot |FTB| - One of the 1st Elite Alliances.
  • Options
    Ya I can see that making some sense.
    Incidentally, if any of you big spenders are willing to add me as an ally, even temporarily, I am stuck on dark side missions and could use the help! :)
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options

Nailed it. I fall into this category. :neutral:
  • Options
    J7000 wrote: »

Nailed it. I fall into this category. :neutral:

Hey. Never feel ashamed for having little to no control over your impulsive spending habits. It's what separates us from the people with stable housing, a retirement fund and matching shoes and socks. At the end of the day, we still have our pride. And hundreds of dollars worth of virtual financial dead-ends.
  • Options

^ This 100%.
  • Options
    It's not so much about deserving respect as it is that, ultimately, we fund your gaming experience. No one is saying players who utilize microtransactions are unsung heroes. At least I think. It's not really about winning for me, as Qeltar said. I just enjoy collecting miniature virtual versions of characters from my favorite franchises and trying out their abilities in a non-canonical setting where you can generally pair and team up anyone from any time and setting, creating your own ideal band of heroes and/or villains.