The Poe problem (With Arena videos Fixed)

Prev1
warmonkey1024
598 posts
edited February 2016
Let's take a look at Poe Dameron, the most popular tank in current meta. (Because it has never been done before!)

Many players on the forum believe he's fine at where he will be after the new patch arrives next week. More feel like he needs to be further adjusted.

The dev team (@EA_Jesse, @CG_JohnSalera Thanks for a wonderful update btw) adjusted Poe's chance to resist negative effects as well as lowering his chance to apply Expose when he uses his taunt. But many of us feel like dev really miss the mark on this one. It's not that he has high speed, or high resistance, or the chance to apply expose, is his guaranteed chance to reduce the opposite team's turn meter that makes him necessary to compete in top arena.

To be fair, let's compare to several other characters with the ability to taunt.
Stormtrooper: Chance to reduce other team's turn meter whenever he's damaged during taunt.
Han:Increases team's turn meter when he taunts and when he's damage. His unique has a chance to decrease opposing team's turn meter when he's damaged.
Chewie doesn't really fit into this discussion.

Unfortunately, the tanks mentioned above are quite useless because:
1 - Relatively low HP, couple with
2 - Relatively high damage in high end pvp teams.
3 - Slow to taunt

These slow tanks allows high damage team to focus fire on one target before they are taunted.

Then comes Poe.

Not only does Poe has high speed, but he's able to decrease 25% of enemy's turn meters. Combine this with high damage teams going against each other in top meta, we in the Line chat room call this situation the "Poe Coin Flip" Because it's really quite simple, the team with Poe taunting first pretty much won the game already. Now I am not saying it's game over whenever other team's Poe taunts first, but it is a rather rare scenario.

To prove my point, here are two videos, against the same team. First video shows the other Poe going first, second shows my Poe taunting first.

Video 1:

https://youtu.be/X7lmb827CIg

VIdeo 2:

https://youtu.be/TwAOH66z3Nw

As you can see, I have a lot of rooms for errors when my Poe taunts first (Old Ben missing on assist, auto target switch)

Poe Coin Flip exists, there's no denying it. If you don't have Poe in your pvp team you are putting yourself in great disadvantage.

Solution:
1. Change the guaranteed turn meter reduction to a certain %
This is probably the most reasonable change for Poe. A guaranteed effect (taunt), couple with chances to apply 2 debuffs. He will still be viable, probably still the best tank until the next character comes around.

2. Make turn meter reduction resistable
Not a direct nerf to Poe, but making it resistible will allow characters with high resistance (often slow characters) to do their thing before being destroyed by DPS.

I am not part of the dev team, so obviously I have no idea what kind of data they have to reach the decision to change Poe's resistance instead of his turn meter reduction, but as a soft launch player I have faith in CG to eventually make the right call on the character.
Post edited by warmonkey1024 on

Replies

• Options
    Great examples why poe is broken and the only character this game has, who is must have for arena. I have a 6* poe and everybody in my top 20 runs poe with 4 dps chars. I have no problem at all if they complete delete the turn meter manipulation from his kit. Coin flip meta is not fun.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    We told them a million times. For weeks. They smirked and said "wait for the next update!"
    And the next update comes and they do basically nothing. Plus they make it so everyone can find and bully any teams that don't have Poe.
    So either they just Don't Get It and Never Will, or they want it this way. I've given up trying to make sense of it.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Nice post. After reading the updates on Poe I still surmise he will be used in all of the top pvp teams still. His main strength is insuring your entire team goes first. Not his taunt or expose (which are still good). Giving people qgj doesn't address the issue that poe will still go first.
  • Options
    I don't have Poe myself, so thank you for showing the videos of two Poe + Paper teams battle each other. It was exactly as how I imagined it would be. :#

Well, be prepared of keeping it as a coin toss when you will be using a team like that vs a team like that. Nothing to do about it. Those nerves on Poe aren't for battles like this, but they are for other heroes against a Poe + paper team. Maybe it's more fun to try that out and win these battles 70% of the time instead of 50%. Be the smartie and not the dummie
  • Options
    Can we stop with these threads? Give it a rest.
  • KitsuAeryn
    201 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Elyndria wrote: »
    Can we stop with these threads? Give it a rest.

It's only by continuing to talk about this issue that we'll have a shot at having additional changes made.

I personally don't think the turn meter bit's the problem; it's his speed. I firmly believe that if Poe did nothing at all except Taunt (no attacks, no nothing, just skipped every other activation), he'd STILL be competitive for Best Tank In The Game simply because he's the only tank who can get a Taunt off before your glass cannons get assassinated. That's a very powerful ability.
    You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
  • Elyndria
    482 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yeah, and that's completely because of the DPS meta and CG's refusal to do anything about high damage overall. Do you really think one 25% turn meter removal would matter if damage across the board was halved in arena? Poe is merely a byproduct of the issue, and by removing Poe there'd just be another DPS called for nerfs one by one. If you neuter Poe completely, as you and others are suggesting, you aren't looking at the full picture...and you alienate half of all f2p players. The people who want him nerfed (even more) the most are whales so they can have free wins with no competition.
  • Options
    You're running a QGJ lead, this shows me you don't know the game. Post it again with either Dooku or Ben lead.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    We told them a million times. For weeks. They smirked and said "wait for the next update!"
    And the next update comes and they do basically nothing. Plus they make it so everyone can find and bully any teams that don't have Poe.
    So either they just Don't Get It and Never Will, or they want it this way. I've given up trying to make sense of it.

Most likely it's because tonnes of people have leveled and equipped Poe. To be honest, I think they will offend a large group of the population no matter what they choose to do.
  • Options
    Thanks for writing this up Rui! :)
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    xJazzx wrote: »

Most likely it's because tonnes of people have leveled and equipped Poe. To be honest, I think they will offend a large group of the population no matter what they choose to do.

That's a short term problem.
    The percentage of population that do not play with Poe is dwindling, and will keep shrinking week by week.

It is known.
  • Options
    How many of these threads are we going to have... Please move this to the Character Discussion forum.
  • Options
    Here's an idea if they're worried about upsetting people with nerfs: Temporarily allow players to exchange that toon's shards for another in the same shipment category as well as recover the gear they put in them, if they choose to.

@CG_JohnSalera
    I know, brilliant. Should I submit my resume?
  • Options
    Gurley30 wrote: »
    How many of these threads are we going to have... Please move this to the Character Discussion forum.

As many as it will take to get the point across to the developers.
  • Options
    ZarAzi wrote: »
    I don't have Poe and I never want to get him, so I'll complain until no one can have him

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    @Elyndria - Don't misquote people. And from what I can see, you do more complaining on this forum than just about anyone. Except that complaining about the game is part of what this forum is for, not complaining about other posters.
  • Options
    @Elyndria - Don't misquote people. And from what I can see, you do more complaining on this forum than just about anyone. Except that complaining about the game is part of what this forum is for, not complaining about other posters.

I don't complain, I offer another side to the whining.
    People post incessantly about nerfing like they did with Barriss and FOTP, and all I'm reading is ignorance about the subject.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    People post incessantly about nerfing like they did with Barriss and FOTP, and all I'm reading is ignorance about the subject.

You're entitled to your opinion. But I don't see any ignorance here. Yes "the damage is too damned high", been saying that for a month. But Poe is also a problem because he amplifies the damage and makes it hard to exploit the "glass" part of glass cannons. They are both issues.
  • Elyndria
    482 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

But Poe is also a problem because he amplifies the damage and makes it hard to exploit the "glass" part of glass cannons. They are both issues.

"Glass cannons" in this game, for the most part, aren't true glass cannons. We have Rey who is an all-star at survivability, damage, and speed. We have FOTP who has over 10k HP and still one shots anyone.

When you can't react because most of the best DPS are all tier one speed anyway, you still have a huge problem, Poe or not. You honestly have to run some amount of tier one dps on your team to be viable, especially if Poe is removed. Healer meta isn't a thing anymore, and without Poe it still wont be.

Poe is a utility option to beat glass cannons as well. He does help those teams too, sure, but it's a trade-off.

Like I said before, Poe offers slower characters a chance to be used in arena. Without him we'll see a turn 1 speed meta and much less variety.

• ZarAzi
    249 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't have Poe and I never want to get him, so I'll complain until no one can have him

Binch where. I said Binch where?

PhotoGrid_1454621590231_zpsqe4l7eky.png

@Elyndria . How mature of you to misquote me. if you aren't participating constructively then I suggest you kindly $tfu and gtf0 and stop derailing this thread, It's unfair to the original poster.
  • Options
    Lmao. So you're a whale who just wants to win every game and hates that f2p players can still win, got it.

I'm offering more of a constructive view than you are, surely.
  • Options
    I just got facerolled by poe. I just realized this update will change exactly nothing. What good does tenacity drop do when your team is down to 3 heroes before your first turn arrives? You cant counter him with QGJ if QGJ is dead before his first turn...or any other buff remover. That is his whole problem; if he gets first move it is GG 100% of the time. There should not be a hero that can win battles all by themselves if geared up.
  • Options

PhotoGrid_1454621590231_zpsqe4l7eky.png

@Elyndria . How mature of you to misquote me. if you aren't participating constructively then I suggest you kindly $tfu and gtf0 and stop derailing this thread, It's unfair to the original poster.

LOL.. And who are you to decide what is "constructive participation" ?

The same could be said about this thread in regards to this forum, why start another thread on the same subject yet again? Is THAT constructive?

Don't get mad because someone decided to play in the sandbox by rules that you don't agree with.

• Options
    Benr3600 wrote: »
    if he gets first move it is GG 100% of the time.
    Get a better team?
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options

Many people fail to understand this. It's not crying about a char you don't have or you don't know how to beat. Poe is f2p. It's not a problem to get him.

Some people is genuinely concerned about the viability of other options beyond current meta. They (we?) might be wrong, but it's not just a crying because they don't have the character. That *COULD* had been an issue with Barris (who was behind a paywall back then), but it's not with Poe.

The threads asking for a nerf is because he's OP. The 2 videos in this thread are clear. I don't think I can say a char that will move the needle so much as winning or losing Poe's coin toss in these videos.

But hey, the Devs have spoken, and Poe is ok. So let's all farm him, and let's make a top100 with 95 Poe in each server. I'm ok with it, I have given up trying to play underPoewered.
  • Options
    Lmao. So you're a whale who just wants to win every game and hates that f2p players can still win, got it.

Sure Jan. ALL whales want to crush all f2p. Yeah sure. Because we definitely arent doing this to support the game or anything. Pffttt.

Again. You are just trying to push the whale vs f2p narrative which has got nothing to do with meta or broken characters that 1 hit kill. So stop doing this felicia. Just stop
  • Options
    2 arena matches today
    2 times opponent went first
    2 victories for me

Poe builds are beatable whether or not you use Poe yourself. On Defense not having him these days is a liability, on offense though frankly I don't give a rats you know what whose Poe goes first. Sure it is much easier if mine does. If theirs does, oh well I say suck it up buttercup and Vape that annoying SOB then go at their squad with a vengeance so fierce they sing about it from the outer Rim to Middle earth(Yes I just crossed fantasy lands) Sometimes I die trying, sometimes my vengeance is felt.

• Options

which has got nothing to do with meta or broken characters that 1 hit kill.

You're catching on. Those characters are the real problem, aren't they? ;)

• RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    Keep the expose and the tenacity. I like the idea of reducing the chance of a turn meter reduction landing. If you remove the turn meter reduction and keep the speed and expose as it is now, it actually becomes less of a coin flip because if you have fast characters and Poe taunts, you have an opportunity to get a couple hits in and have QGJ or someone else remove the taunt. All of the sudden the games are not decided by the first move, but by strategy...
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    "Glass cannons" in this game, for the most part, aren't true glass cannons. We have Rey who is an all-star at survivability, damage, and speed. We have FOTP who has over 10k HP and still one shots anyone.
    10k is near the bottom health-wise. They ARE glass cannons because they are easily killed... UNLESS an overpowered taunter goes first, prevents you from attacking them, and even gives them extra turns. That's why Poe is busted.
    When you can't react because most of the best DPS are all tier one speed anyway, you still have a huge problem, Poe or not. You honestly have to run some amount of tier one dps on your team to be viable, especially if Poe is removed. Healer meta isn't a thing anymore, and without Poe it still wont be.
    Did you even read my prior post?
    Check the start date on this thread: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/5254/the-real-problems-with-the-current-meta-too-many-consecutive-attacks-and-too-much-damage
    Yes, damage is too high relative to health. Poe makes it worse.
    Poe is a utility option to beat glass cannons as well. He does help those teams too, sure, but it's a trade-off.
    What tradeoff? If everyone is running glass cannons, as you've said, they'd be fools not to also run Poe. Now that everyone's teams will be visible, he will be on 90%+ of teams.
    This is good design? This is the balancing we waited 2 months for?
    Benr3600 wrote: »
    if he gets first move it is GG 100% of the time.
    Get a better team?
    That would be an example of an unconstructive post. You're either trolling or have no idea what you are talking about.