Ventress

Prev1
HansOlo
51 posts Member
edited February 2016
Ok, it was clearly a bug or a wrong description, but removing the heal all is a nerf to her. She is already weak because she is way too slow. What sense does a self heal have when she is already dead when she wants to use it?

This character needs a revamp. Either higher speed, more hitpoints and/or having the buff remove on her aoe skill.

I regret having her on 6* right now, reading the patch.

Post edited by HansOlo on

Replies

• Options
    Don't bother farming her, just follow the meta.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    You and every single person who has her regrets it now...
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • Options
    The devs must be blind. I just dont get it.

• Options
    I have her at 7* G8 and I will reserve judgment.. If her buff works and debuff clear dies what it should she might still be a game changer.

She will have a HELLA self heal! :D

That being said, I am not really counting on her being on my "A" team.. :/
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    She has 45% life steal from gear. Life steal will work next patch.

I'd wait a few weeks before judging. Might be good, might not be. But we have to wait and see how life steal% work first.
  • Options
    If she lifesteals from her AoE, she will be good if not, the lifesteal means nothing same goes for her dispel as well. You want the AoE not try to dispel.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have been a Ventress fanboy since launch and I have finally shelved her. None of her abilities matter when she dies before she gets a turn, which now happens more than 50% of the time.
    Speed is too important in this game right now, and she is too slow. How they managed to make an assassin into a slowpoke is absolutely beyond me.
    Removing her team heal was the final nail in the coffin. And again, I really liked using her.
    I'll still use her against Poggle/Phasma teams in GW.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    I have been a Ventress fanboy since launch and I have finally shelved her. None of her abilities matter when she dies before she gets a turn, which now happens more than 50% of the time.
    Speed is too important in this game right now, and she is too slow. How they managed to make an assassin into a slowpoke is absolutely beyond me.
    Removing her team heal was the final nail in the coffin. And again, I really liked using her.

I want to say that i-am-not-a-jedi posted about her speed on reddit. Something along the lines of she was made intentionally slow in order to have deaths happen in front of her, because her abilities were built to scale around the bonus from killing. Which makes sense. You have used her, her aoe is not that great if she isn't buffed up. But, when it is buffed up, she is one scary mother.

• Options
    I have her 7* g7. I use her in both GW, and out of necessity, arena. I got lucky and pulled her from a pack earlier and I figured a 5* Ventress would be better than a 4* sidious and so forth all the way to 7. And I regret that now. Her primary function for me is an anti-poggle/phasma toon. She goes last (obviously) and can turn an enemy buff into a full party huge heal (I'm talking 3-4K here). Her aoe is decent with the Rampage buff (2.5k ish non crit). Problem is she will only be able to attack about twice per 5 min encounter, assuming she isn't dead before then.

Regardless of the life steal, the way dps meta is will mean she is never going to be very viable. Dooku can very easily attack twice before she can go once. Rampage is unreliable for turn meter gain. Just all in all a cool sounding toon, good kit, horrible horrible speed. I would support a revamp. How can a person with the leader ability "Nightsister Swiftness" be the slowest character in the game? On top of this, she has relatively low health. So succinctly; low health, terrible speed, decent aoe damage, cool, if situational, kit.

As of now, not worth it. There is no reason to take her over sidious in arena shipments.
  • Options
    What a waste.
    sligKHRh.jpg
    I should have just farmed the meta like everyone else.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Barrok wrote: »

I want to say that i-am-not-a-jedi posted about her speed on reddit. Something along the lines of she was made intentionally slow in order to have deaths happen in front of her, because her abilities were built to scale around the bonus from killing. Which makes sense. You have used her, her aoe is not that great if she isn't buffed up. But, when it is buffed up, she is one scary mother.
    I'd rather have a faster AOE and buff her with Poggle. Which is what everybody does with AOE teams.

Devs are seriously undevaluing speed when they calibrate characters' power.
  • Options

[/quote]
    I'd rather have a faster AOE and buff her with Poggle. Which is what everybody does with AOE teams.

Devs are seriously undevaluing speed when they calibrate characters' power.
    [/quote]

Yup. If ig 86 can have basic attack that can easily deal 6k, or GS a assist that deals 7k with their speed, Ventress with her speed should do 12k+ on her basic.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I saw that post. It further eroded my confidence in this development team. Actually, most of the posts from that guy do of late.
    Slow enough to get her specials off, fine. She is now so slow and so squishy that she is usually dead before she does a thing.
    If they actually fixed the game to get rid of all the speed-manip and one-shotting, she might be useful. Until then, she's on the bench except for GW.
    Believe me, I have tried. She was on my arena team from level 20something until about a week ago. With Poe and one-shotters everywhere, she's a waste of a slot.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    I think this shouldn't be rocket science. Fast attacks do less damage, because attacking first is already a bonus. Slow attacks do more damage, to balance the fact that sometimes you won't even have the chance to attack if you are slow.

Some characters in this game is like in a boxing game Jabs would have more chances to KO people than uppercuts. Nobody would use anything else but jabs.
  • Options
    ok, facts and "comparisons":

FOTP (which I have), middle speed, but almost every time a kill on even full health characters. = glass cannon. Will die when focused very easily .... fine for me
    Sidious (which I have 7* but don't use in my arena team) fast speed, good AoE, good utility with healing debuff and nice unique with self heal and turn meter gain

Ventress' damage is similar to Sids damage (when she got the offense buff, lower when she doesn't), health and skills are both in a similar league. But Sid is WAY faster. I know, Ventress "has" to be slow to benefit from her buff remove skill. But now she doesn't heal the whole team.

what happens in an arena fight (possibilities):

example 1: Ventress got focused, dies

example 2: another one got focused or the whole team. She gets her turn ... and ... heals herself and in some cases, removes debuffs from enemy team (which is good in case of droid teams (which she wont survive the first turn anyway). QGJ also removes THE important buff (Poe taunt) and comes shortly after Poe.
    Or she does her AoE instead of the buff remover and does average damage and heals herself.

--> I see no point using her, because Sid does what she does, but faster and better (AoE-damage) and just healing herself is only good if she would have more health to at least survive a turn. QGJ can do the removing part and his 2nd skill does extreme damage and single target damage > AoE in the current meta (because a Lumi will heal team to full after one turn of AoE in which in most cases no one dies normally)

solutions:

1. give her similar speed as for example FOTP has (2 turns when other chars get 3 is just tooo slow for that char). she will still attack late and benefit from her remover.
    2. give her either a higher health pool, a self rezz, or better evade.

• Options
    Slow toons should have far more health and more attack power than fast toons. But someone in CG loves for the fastest toons to have the most damage.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Ventress is fine. She's the only character with an AOE debuff and her AOE when powered up is among the hardest hitting in the game. Her regular attack stuns frequently. Yes, she is slow. She's built for another role. Current meta doesn't support her, so? PvP isn't everything.

To me, the biggest issue with Ventress is that her Rampage ability doesn't activate on her own kills, due to how turns are handled. It's counter intuitive and makes it hard to perform wave after wave of death.

If you use a specialized hero like Ventress you can't just stick it in a team with DPS toons and expect everybody to just kill stuff.

You should use Ventress with support heroes that stun, delay, expose and reduce the power of the enemy team, building up for Ventress' AOE attack. It's a slow play.

I think Ventress should be used with toons like: Fives, Ben Kenobi, Daka, Dooku, Poggle, Phasma, Boba Fett, Clone Sergeant and the like. Toons that reduce turn meter, Stun, lock abilities etc.

Granted, it's not presently a viable strategy in the current meta. That will of course change sooner or later.

I have a 7* maxed out Ventress. She's plenty of fun.
    6231bc518f0d2925f953dd35e2cfee79.jpg
  • Options
    Ventress is currently my highest starred toon. I see both sides of this. Personally I enjoy using her. Yes she is squishy and if they fix her so she can dispell defense buffs then she will get better for me. She will have to use a round to dispell/heal and the following round you should have someone set up to get the aoe death that resets her cool downs. She is not as bad as people make her out. She may not be top arena material but neither am I so that's OK. I can tell you this. I stormed GW yesterday with my Nightsister squad plus Barriss and I probably could have swept it with them except I wanted to use my a team on the final battle lol.
  • Options
    I use Ventress in my Daka/Dooku/Phasma misc build and I could replace her with any meta toon and my squad will be better. Her stun is 35% and she typically attacks twice to three times. That's maybe one stun per match. Dooku and Daka get off far more stuns.
    Her aoe is roughly on par with sidious. With rampage buff, it can do around 3k damage, which is great, but meta favors single target dps. One Lumi or consular and Ventress has effectively been canceled.
    Arena isn't everything, but it's a healthy way to test effectiveness because you're not playing against garbage DS teams. She does better in GW so there's that.
    The only consistent use is to use her aoe and kill enemy target for cooldown reset, and yes, then her rampage gets bugged and she doesn't get the buff.
    Yes, she is fun. But it would be nice if they could make her viable too.
    They should make the turn meter gain from rampage happen far more frequently. This would allow her to attack more frequently with the buff. Her "endless death" theme will finally be able to work, and her lack of speed will be mitigated.
  • Options

I agree used right she is very solid. A team? No as much as I'd like. I've been toying with a NS build some, tweaking it so it is not 1000% NS. For fun I put Poggle on it and at 7* gear 8 her AOE hit hard and reset on kill.

Workling right her DEbuff is great. I say working right because I've only had it truly work once and I will tell you it was awesome. It was vs the Poe/Droids in GW. Poggles Buff and Poes taunt went farewell and I won the fight.

I will not judge ANY of these tweaks until I see them in action. It is foolish to.
  • Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    Ventress is fine. She's the only character with an AOE debuff and her AOE when powered up is among the hardest hitting in the game. Her regular attack stuns frequently. Yes, she is slow. She's built for another role. Current meta doesn't support her, so? PvP isn't everything.

To me, the biggest issue with Ventress is that her Rampage ability doesn't activate on her own kills, due to how turns are handled. It's counter intuitive and makes it hard to perform wave after wave of death.

If you use a specialized hero like Ventress you can't just stick it in a team with DPS toons and expect everybody to just kill stuff.

You should use Ventress with support heroes that stun, delay, expose and reduce the power of the enemy team, building up for Ventress' AOE attack. It's a slow play.

I think Ventress should be used with toons like: Fives, Ben Kenobi, Daka, Dooku, Poggle, Phasma, Boba Fett, Clone Sergeant and the like. Toons that reduce turn meter, Stun, lock abilities etc.

Granted, it's not presently a viable strategy in the current meta. That will of course change sooner or later.

Your last line. Plenty of fun. This is a game, fun is what it is about.
  • Options
    I agree with most of what you are saying. Personally I'm just not that bothered with what the top 50 in arena are doing. Obviously I'm not talking end game here but just enjoying playing the game. I disagree about Lumi or JC cancelling her too. Every team has one or both of those toons including GW. She kills them just fine. Yes you have to use a bit more skill and strategy to use her, but for all but the "top arena" stuff she is not that bad. Plus you have to keep in mind not everyone has bought their perfect team and for some (like me) she is miles ahead of Snowtrooper and other limited options we get. Plus I have no interest in farming for the same toons everyone else is using. If you HAVE to have Poe to stay top in anything he is clearly broken and needs to be fixed. Once that happens I suspect many will regret wasting their resources working on cookie cutter squads.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ventress is definitely a lot of fun. It's cool trying to figure out which of my opponents will one-shot her before she gets to do anything.
    (I actually used to love using her, back when that was viable.)
    I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the design meeting for her. "She's an assassin who leaps and jumps everywhere. Let's make her super slow!"
  • Options
    Ventress is definitely a lot of fun. It's cool trying to figure out which of my opponents will one-shot her before she gets to do anything.
    I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the design meeting for her. "She's an assassin who leaps and jumps everywhere. Let's make her super slow!"

Cool looking...check
    Dual wield....check
    2 weapons needs an aoe attack...check
    Darkside dispell/heal...check

Man she's going to be awesome, people will love her!

By the way what speed should we use for the super athletic jedi slayer?

Let's play it safe, give her a 1 speed.
  • Options
    Lifesteal means nothing when Rey ohko's ya anyway.

Might be good if she is last standing against an enemies last standing tank but I doubt it. Might be good if it is bugged and heals whole team too!!

I was tricked into starting her and have decided to just finish it.

Here's the thing when choosing a character to work on we don't get to see the gearpath..we see the skills and think cool a stun an aoe a dispel and self buffs sounds great let me put a month into this character..we don't see o yea she never gets a turn cause speed is all that matters and only comes from gear the devs picked for her..we don't see o boring looking poe get tons of speed at gear 7, 8, 9.. Till its too late and you in a match wondering why poe goes 3 time to ventress 1...
  • Options

Funny thing, i am reading a child book for my son about clone wars. Easy stories. There is a description about ventress. She is described as very fast....
  • Options

Yeah, I saw that post. It further eroded my confidence in this development team. Actually, most of the posts from that guy do of late.
    Slow enough to get her specials off, fine. She is now so slow and so squishy that she is usually dead before she does a thing.
    If they actually fixed the game to get rid of all the speed-manip and one-shotting, she might be useful. Until then, she's on the bench except for GW.
    Believe me, I have tried. She was on my arena team from level 20something until about a week ago. With Poe and one-shotters everywhere, she's a waste of a slot.

I can absolutely relate to this. I loved having her on my team. But lately there isn't much use. She's dead by the time she gets a turn. (Or worse in some cases, stunned. That prolongs the suffering a bit more).

I can see how giving her the last turn to attack makes sense, waiting for someone to die, and having others about to die, is a nice play for her finisher. But if she's squishy and slow, well as good as her skills may be, they're no use if she's K.O. aren't they?

If she had a bit more of speed, or a bit more of health, she could be viable again. Even more if the high speed high dps meta changes, that way having battles that last longer than one or two rounds, could mean more use for her and her skillset.

I retired her yesterday from my arena squad, sadly. Just when I started farming shards for her. I just got enough to promote her to 5* today. I'll still use her on GW 90% of the time, as long as she's still viable there. And see what else I farm from arena.
    548-145-651 | Playing since Dec 28th (:
  • Options
    What a waste.
    sligKHRh.jpg
    I should have just farmed the meta like everyone else.

Beautiful. :) such a shame it's going to waste, let's hope for some changes in the future, that make her viable / useful again.
    548-145-651 | Playing since Dec 28th (:
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Well... If we're gonna take every single card in the game and just define it by whether it will hey one shotted by Rey or not, or if it can one shot cards really really quickly, then the list of "good" cards gets pretty dang thin. And then there's not really any point to discussing any cards at all.

There are still more or less useful forms, with better or worse synergies in them. This is still something enjoyable to discuss. Or at least it's really enjoyable on Line, where people don't use every conversation as an excuse to flame on the developers.

Yes, subtle diss is subtle. I'll just waltz off and have my fun elsewhere now.
  • Options
    Nonemo wrote: »

This is precisely how I use her. She is on a team with Dooku, Daka, Phasma, and Lumi. I like the result.
    Ally Code: 253-747-318