We need to talk about stun cuffs

Prev1
I'm currently at a stage where I need over 1600 stun cuffs just to get my characters to their next level. At a dedicated farm rate of 5 per day, that's an entire year of farming stun cuffs.

The gear crunch on mark 3 items is now far worse than the credit crunch ever was.

It's fine to have raid exclusive gear, and big ticket items that are a hard grind: but when you're at a stage where there's 30+ characters who are all stuck on the same gear items, it just makes you want to give up. There's no good economy for the developers here.

Replies

• Options
    Facts
  • Options
    Inb4 the pathetic "easy button" arguement!
  • rawman
    685 posts Member
    Options
    They want to make you buy them in shipments obviously. Same for MK5 Stun Guns.
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I've had to spend fleet currency on these. That seems the fastsest way to farm other than saving the 1400 crystals.
  • rawman
    685 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Depends on your arena rank. Since I don't do cantina refreshes anymore I can afford such stuff once in a week or so ^^
  • Athusk
    348 posts Member
    Options
    I finish farming 1 almost every week are you not buying energy refreshes? If not ... then there is your problem.
  • Options
    Yeah the same people used to say that not having enough credits was a player problem too.

Does anyone think it's a good idea to go back to not having the credit heist event? Didn't think so.
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    Options
    For me, I buy stun cuffs from shipments for crystals UNLESS I win some of them through raids.

For example, I won 16 stun cuffs from our last Rancor raid so now I am farming them through easy nodes and I also may buy some from Fleet shipments to accelerate the farm.

Those are the two ways I get them.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    It's purposely miserable to force you to buy them. If you aren't tops in arena then there isn't much you can do.
  • Options
    In addition to the training droid and credit heist events maybe put one in for stun cuffs, stun guns, holo projectors and any other item you need hundreds upon hundreds of over a large roster? It could be a loot heist still using the scoundrel squad
  • Options
    +1 to this thread. Stun cuffs are.pretty brutal. Plenty of games have gear bottlenecks, but this game's gear bottleneck is past the point of curbing progressing and absolutely intended to entice you to pay real money to buy them.

I'm fine with the 300 hem price for holograms, but more than $10 for one piece of gear for one character is a bit outrageous.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Darax_ren wrote: »
    I'm currently at a stage where I need over 1600 stun cuffs just to get my characters to their next level. At a dedicated farm rate of 5 per day, that's an entire year of farming stun cuffs.

The gear crunch on mark 3 items is now far worse than the credit crunch ever was.

It's fine to have raid exclusive gear, and big ticket items that are a hard grind: but when you're at a stage where there's 30+ characters who are all stuck on the same gear items, it just makes you want to give up. There's no good economy for the developers here.

Yep, this is where you ask yourself and is probably working as intended:

-Should I spend money now to progress?

-This is too frustrating now, I'm going stick it to them and quit and take my no spending bum elsewhere?

-Just accept it and continue farm the stun cuffs one at a time for the 1-2 heroes I need now?

It's not going to get ea$ier to farm until the next gear bottleneck. Good luck.
  • Options
    I have no problem with buying them but shipments needs an overhaul. Why not make every piece of gear available for purchase all at once rather than hoping for it to show. I would spend way more faster if this was the case.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    Athusk wrote: »
    I finish farming 1 almost every week are you not buying energy refreshes? If not ... then there is your problem.

I was thinking it's around a week or less if you do the two 50-crystal regular energy refreshes per day. Keep at it, you can get them if you want them. I'm in favor of a better drop chance though...if it's on the table.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    I believe the problem is you are worrying about gearing 30+ toons simultaneously. Focus on your arena team, raid teams, or all around toons. Eventually you will get to the point where you are only needing 100 cuffs for 1 toon at a time.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    It's purposely miserable to force you to buy them. If you aren't tops in arena then there isn't much you can do.

Sadly, this is accurate. I generally don't complain much about the design decisions, but this point - about needing to buy certain "gated" gear, and basically needing to spend money or be top 20 in arena to do so - is true.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Trying to gear 30 toons is part of the problem. I need them, too, along with Mk V stun guns and droid callers. But I'm only working on a few characters at a time, so I can usually manage one per week. Slow but doable.

I do agree that gear needs some modifications, though. Challenge gear in particular is often pointless. I have hundreds, sometimes thousands of pieces of challenge gear that no one needs. You can't use it for anything. You can't sell it. You can't craft it into anything. It just sits there.

So I'd like it if they'd just do a couple things.

1: no more challenge gear as raid rewards. There's nothing more disheartening than winning a raid and getting challenge gear salvage you have 500 of.

2: let us sell gear again. When the game came out you could sell gear for credits. That would be a nice way to ease the credit crunch and do away with all the excess junk in your inventory.

3: have a gear forge. You know, take 50 mk2 stunciffs and 100k to make 5 Mk 3 stun cuff shards.

Any of that would be welcome.

• Options
    3: have a gear forge. You know, take 50 mk2 stunciffs and 100k to make 5 Mk 3 stun cuff shards.

I like that idea. White gear turns into green gear, green into blue, blue into purple, purple into gold.
  • Options
    CUFCfan616 wrote: »
    In addition to the training droid and credit heist events maybe put one in for stun cuffs, stun guns, holo projectors and any other item you need hundreds upon hundreds of over a large roster? It could be a loot heist still using the scoundrel squad

My thoughts exactly. Rewards could work like credit heist and range from between say 5-25 salvage. That would be enough to lessen the grind.

Alternatively get rid of some garbage loot from the challenges and add cuffs, guns and projectors.
  • Options
    Shield generators, im finding now, are becoming stun cuffs part deux.
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Options
    What I find most annoying is always getting gear I don't need from raids at top 3 prizes...
  • Options
    I get horrible raid rewards no matter where I place. I expect to get stuff I don't need. Haven't seen cuffs in raid rewards for months.
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Options
    Hakalugy wrote: »
    I get horrible raid rewards no matter where I place. I expect to get stuff I don't need. Haven't seen cuffs in raid rewards for months.

Not even in august lol :s
  • Options
    Gamorrean wrote: »
    What I find most annoying is always getting gear I don't need from raids at top 3 prizes...

This is the most annoying and disappointing, raids should be a viable way to get throttled gear esp if you raid often and rank high but it's not.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    the problem was adding stun cuffs to more pieces like the mk4 holo projectors, mk4 comlinks and mk9 blasteks
    pure evil
  • Options
    Big fan of buying them in shipments with my freemium currency. The holo censor is actually my biggest grumble. It's currency value is all over the place. Hard to grind, you can buy it in shipments for currency, crystals, and fleet shipment currency. It doesn't seem as value as 5 stun cuff parts so fleet is out. 300 crystal is a ok price but for 1100 more I can just buy a furnace. Also, currency is way cheaper than crystal potential, but they just don't show up enough to use it constantly.

I don't think we are getting any relief till we get lv 12+ gear and a lv90 bump. The relief has to happen in a way that it doesn't accelerate new users too quickly. Also, by then lv8 biotech implants will be the new stun cuff.
  • Options
    Biotech implants say hi
  • Options
    Yeah it sucks they're so hard to farm...But I have plan that will help alleviate your pain. First off, farm them using fleet shop. They're always there, I can easily pick up at least 5-7 chunks of cuffs from there a week. Farm Jedi conslurs ship, it'll help buffer some in. And farm the first light side node that offers them simming in groups of 3. Combined this allowed me to create 4 sets of cuffs rather quickly to boost Grev and Tfp's gear within two weeks.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Options
    Look, noone is saying they should become free.

For me, this is all about what makes a healthy freemium economy for the game. Obviously there needs to be certain chokepoints to create strong incentives to pay money, but these chokepoints need to progress as you level up, especially in this game, where you end up with more to farm as you progress. And the game also needs to cater for people who will only ever pay small sums of money here and there. The whole point of freemium is that everyone can find an enjoyable level of play for what they are prepared to pay.

Now, I don't have the game data to hand. It might be that the number 1 source of income for the game is stun cuffs- but it strikes me that even if that is the case, then it's pretty unhealthy for the economy because surely it's better to have a wider set of drivers to spend cash. From my own experience alone, it feels like some of these mark 3 gear pieces are becoming a hopeless farm, whilst also being unmanageable to buy. So the frustration isn't going to lead me to buying them, it'll lead me to play less: and that's not what I want for the game.

• Options
    +1000 to OP.
    And don't we wanna talk about the absurd price for MK5 Stun Guns? 2500 cristals???
This discussion has been closed.