How exactly will R2 end the Maul meta...?!?

Replies

• Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    Woodroward wrote: »
    You really don't see how R2's Kit will be lethal against a Zaul lead?

R2 buffs his factions' Offense, Potency, Protection, & Max Health.
    He gives them all accuracy,
    He gives them an auto cleanse.

He tales away the opponents' dodge.
    He has an AoE
    He stuns the opponent.

He's like Zaul's achilles heal. If people can't see that, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Personally, I'll be throwing him in my Droid team ASAP. K2S0's daze for the tm gain, and B2's Buffwipe/buff immunity for no stealth/crit immunity. HK lead works well again and I win. Yay!

Your droid team...SA goes 1st, followed by the rest of them b4 your JE even thinks about moving. U eat aoe daze and aoe stun. U have no cleanse, u gain no extra tm on crit due to daze and stealth. Droids r worthless even w/ R2 vs. Maul.

Rex teams r already better and R2 will make jedi better. Foresight to start means jedi avoid aoe daze or aoe stun, 1 of the 2. GK cleanses as does critting bcuz jedi r LS.
  • Options
    unatratnag wrote: »
    I'll say it again... Rex lead. Also... zqgj lead.
    If zMaul goes first than Rex's lead is nullified.
    Instant cleanse.
  • Arkham
    275 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    U have no cleanse

R2 is a cleanser.

Read his abilities again people, sheesh.

Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Antares wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »
    Wondered the same thing.. But i dont get what r2 offers, which puts zauls siths in any disadvantage.. To me, he seems like a droid with lightside synergy and nothing else. To counter zaul, there are things needed, that r2 do not offer..
    Accuracy, no tm gain -debuff, no stealth gain-debuff, other than that, there is no real counter.. Just semi stuff like dispel, cleansing and other average stuff.
    But i dont know what the 'on fire' debuff does ^^

Have you not read his abilities.
    He gives all allies 10% accuracy.
    Burning debuff will nullify Maul evasion bonus
    LS enemies that score a crit hit will cleanse.

Yeah nothing that will help with combat zeta Maul.... Go read again.

Well, I think none of this will matter much, if you get wiped in the first turn when everyone on the enemy team goes first...

I daily face enemy Zaul teams that all get full TM to start before I get to move thanks to a fast Sith Assassin. I start completely covered in debuffs, and end with all 5 of my toons still alive at full health. That thing you mentioned is not a real problem. In fact the Rex lead teams are already squeezing out the Zaul teams in my arena.

Exactly! I run GK (L), with zBarriss, Chaze and Nihilus and the top Sith teams go before I do and I get hit with debuffs, but once Chirrut or GK get to their cleanse, its over.

I just spam speed down with Baze to all the enemies and Nihilus' Force Drain reduces all their cool downs and speeds up his Annihilate. I usually Annihilate the opposing Nihilus first and then its really over because the other toons just can't get through the wall of health, crit immunity, foresight, cleansing and defense up that my team provides.
  • Carbonari
    676 posts Member
    Options
    R2 will be amazing against Maul teams. The problem is, until the meta report shows that >50% of top 10 teams are running R2, many of these players aren't going to believe it. They want a point-and-shoot win like Maul or what Wedge/Biggs used to be.

Also, who is losing in the first turn to Maul teams? There are dozens of ways around that. If that's your problem, then no, of course R2 can't help you.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Options
    Wondered the same thing.. But i dont get what r2 offers, which puts zauls siths in any disadvantage.. To me, he seems like a droid with lightside synergy and nothing else. To counter zaul, there are things needed, that r2 do not offer..
    Accuracy, no tm gain -debuff, no stealth gain-debuff, other than that, there is no real counter.. Just semi stuff like dispel, cleansing and other average stuff.

Well, I think none of this will matter much, if you get wiped in the first turn when everyone on the enemy team goes first...

How can you possibly get wiped the first turn? Are you running 5 Cups?
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options

He has an AoE
    He stuns the opponent.

He's like Zaul's achilles heal. If people can't see that, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Personally, I'll be throwing him in my Droid team ASAP. K2S0's daze for the tm gain, and B2's Buffwipe/buff immunity for no stealth/crit immunity. HK lead works well again and I win. Yay!

Your droid team...SA goes 1st, followed by the rest of them b4 your JE even thinks about moving. U eat aoe daze and aoe stun. U have no cleanse, u gain no extra tm on crit due to daze and stealth. Droids r worthless even w/ R2 vs. Maul.

Rex teams r already better and R2 will make jedi better. Foresight to start means jedi avoid aoe daze or aoe stun, 1 of the 2. GK cleanses as does critting bcuz jedi r LS.

Not on my shard. Little to no Sith Assassins, and none of them go before my JE. JE will go before Sith Assassin at equal character panel speeds until they both reach 250. My whole team will get 100%tm before the Zaul team.

K2S0 will cleanse himself thanks to R2, and that's good enough for me: His mechanic will keep them occupied until everyone else clears up their daze. Meanwhile, half of their team is going to be dazed by that point instead.

TLDR: Your assessment may apply to other shards, but not mine.

• sjkerhfgdjhd
    1009 posts Member
    Options
    I don't know if R2 will be able to make droids actually arena viable again, but it would be hilarious to see a droid team vs. a Zaul team where the Zaul team has someone like Kylo on it. Poor guy would still be sitting there at half turn meter and everyone else has gone two or three times already.
  • Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    Options
    He won't end the zaul meta. Dodge is only one aspect of a zaul team, his leader ability is basically 4 leader abilities packed into one. And gk and zavage can cleanse the burning anyways. Over hyped.
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    Options
    Go read again.

This. Daily here and in life I find myself saying this.
    People don't read.
  • Options
    Arkham wrote: »
    U have no cleanse

R2 is a cleanser.

On the droid team he was referring to, there would only be (at best) 2 people who could be cleansed -- R2 and K2SO (this assumes IG-86 was the odd-droid out). JE can't crit and HK-47 and IG-88 are dark side. R2's cleanse (with a zeta) is for light side only.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options

If you are getting wiped in the first turn you have more issues you need to address
  • IdraRage
    259 posts Member
    Options
    Rex (L) Chaze GK Nihilus is already competitive with Zaul teams. Subbing out Nihilus for Z2 (double Zeta R2) should make the team superior.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options
    U have no cleanse

R2 is a cleanser.

On the droid team he was referring to, there would only be (at best) 2 people who could be cleansed -- R2 and K2SO (this assumes IG-86 was the odd-droid out). JE can't crit and HK-47 and IG-88 are dark side. R2's cleanse (with a zeta) is for light side only.
    JE's TD's do crit, but they aren't tied to him so wouldn't cleanse him.

I wouldn't be running any of the IG's actually by what I listed: HK, K2, R2, B2, JE.

Thinking about it, there's a really good chance I wouldn't even need to worry about Daze. If B2 goes first and clears stealth/applies buff immunity, then R2 follows up with his AoE, which gives him another turn due to crits, then stuns Zaul. From there I just focus on the toons who have buff immunity to keep HK's lead working. Seems like it should be viable for me.

• Antares
    686 posts Member
    Options
    Sorry to break into the conversation (in my own thread). I hope so much of what you guys say becomes true! Even if I can't beat zMaul with my team, it means that many other combinations will show up in arena, and I usually don't have a problem with anything else :D
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    U have no cleanse

R2 is a cleanser.

I wouldn't be running any of the IG's actually by what I listed: HK, K2, R2, B2, JE.

Thinking about it, there's a really good chance I wouldn't even need to worry about Daze. If B2 goes first and clears stealth/applies buff immunity, then R2 follows up with his AoE, which gives him another turn due to crits, then stuns Zaul. From there I just focus on the toons who have buff immunity to keep HK's lead working. Seems like it should be viable for me.

I am not a droid expert by any means but is there enough damage to burn down the likes of Savage, etc?
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • ddlooping2
    1046 posts Member
    Options
    Could Chopper be a good taunter for a R2-D2 team? (both Rebel and Droid)
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options

He has an AoE
    He stuns the opponent.

Not on my shard. Little to no Sith Assassins, and none of them go before my JE. JE will go before Sith Assassin at equal character panel speeds until they both reach 250. My whole team will get 100%tm before the Zaul team.

K2S0 will cleanse himself thanks to R2, and that's good enough for me: His mechanic will keep them occupied until everyone else clears up their daze. Meanwhile, half of their team is going to be dazed by that point instead.

By 250 you mean 250 effective speed correct? Because each having a base of 200 speed with mods before Lead/Unique is counted in is where they tie. SA will have a first turn effective speed of 250 and so would JE (Of course his would stay 250 throughout the match). Getting SA over 200 base speed with mods is well.... Easy. Not saying you shouldn't use this team, but eventually as your arena leaderboard matures and you all get better mods you won't be able to outspeed the SA's on the first turn. Especially considering I see SAs with speeds of 260+ before the leader ability is counted in. I think you'll have a very hard time outspeeding that. So yes, it works on your shard, but only for so long. Once you've had more time to mod-farm and they have as well, you'll end up going after they do.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options
    RAYRAY wrote: »
    U have no cleanse

R2 is a cleanser.

I am not a droid expert by any means but is there enough damage to burn down the likes of Savage, etc?

K2 and HK do decent enough damage for my shard. R2 will make them hit harder. B2 doesn't do much damage but he goes a lot even compared to the rest of my droids. This team will be quite tanky and fast. I expect those two things to make up for medium high damage as opposed to the high damage droids normally deal out.

To take out Savage... Not if he's Zetaed, but I haven't seen one of those yet in arena.

• StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    He won't end the zaul meta. Dodge is only one aspect of a zaul team, his leader ability is basically 4 leader abilities packed into one. And gk and zavage can cleanse the burning anyways. Over hyped.

Dodge is the only reason they are "hard" to beat though. They may gain stealth and TM, but it won't help their generally low damage numbers and they'll die quickly enough because they will no longer be able to dodge anything.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

He has an AoE
    He stuns the opponent.

By 250 you mean 250 effective speed correct? Because each having a base of 200 speed with mods before Lead/Unique is counted in is where they tie. SA will have a first turn effective speed of 250 and so would JE (Of course his would stay 250 throughout the match). Getting SA over 200 base speed with mods is well.... Easy. Not saying you shouldn't use this team, but eventually as your arena leaderboard matures and you all get better mods you won't be able to outspeed the SA's on the first turn. Especially considering I see SAs with speeds of 260+ before the leader ability is counted in. I think you'll have a very hard time outspeeding that. So yes, it works on your shard, but only for so long. Once you've had more time to mod-farm and they have as well, you'll end up going after they do.

Huh, you're right. I must have gotten effective and base speed backwards.

Yeah, it is definitely a time limited composition. Either way I am faster than any Sith Assassin on my shard for now. But it will give me time to keep reaping higher arena rewards until I have another team ready to step in. Top 20 is ok. Top 10 is better.

I recently redid my mods to get a starting turn order which seems to be all I needed to break top 20 regularly again for the moment. Being able to compete with Zaul teams should let me hit top 10 again for now. Even if I have to switch comps occasionally, I am okay with that.

Think my Jedi will be ready for arena in about a month, and that's about when I see Sith Assassin becoming a problem. Or maybe my bounty hunter Squad seeing as I will have the empire team to give them all the potency mods they need now.

Now if the 2nd Fan Favorite is C-3PO, that may change my plan.
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    R2 combined with Nihilus lead.
    Sith won't be able to dodge, gain tm, or go into stealth. Combined with gk for auto taunt, cleanse, retribution on stealthed assassin, and the nice assist(stealthed assassin). And r2 can give stealth to team. I think trooper would be best 5th but zavagen or dooku could work
  • Options

Because that is totally how those teams work. Totally.
  • Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    Options
    StarSon wrote: »

Dodge is the only reason they are "hard" to beat though. They may gain stealth and TM, but it won't help their generally low damage numbers and they'll die quickly enough because they will no longer be able to dodge anything.

Um no. They always go first and inflict daze on your whole team. That's why we have these teams over loaded with cleansers to compensate.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

to be fair, both of R2's unique abilities are better than most leader abilities.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

to be fair, both of R2's unique abilities are better than most leader abilities.

And, I would love to see more teams run GK instead of SiT in a zaul team. Those zaul teams are easy mode without SiT.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    StarSon wrote: »

Um no. They always go first and inflict daze on your whole team. That's why we have these teams over loaded with cleansers to compensate.

So? Daze just stops TM gain and assisting. Hardly matters for most teams. And R2 can be a cleanser if you run Light Side and zeta his first unique.
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Options
    I don't care if hes meta or not, its R2D2!!
    And I can use him for resistance mod challenges :)
  • Options
    The only problem I foresee is SA goes first with her TM gain special, followed by Maul with aoe daze, followed by Nihilus special increasing cooldowns then EP with aoe stunning some key characters. This is how my matches tend to go so I'm not convinced R2 is the answer. If the cleansers can't use their specials on the first turn you are in trouble. I hope R2 is a game changer; although I use Zaul I'm always happy to change out my arena team as it gets boring doing the same moves 5 matches every day. I was running a Rex lead for a while and kept finding what I've just described so I went the same way and it really is effective. The trickiest team I face is R1 with K2SO believe it or not. It doesn't seem to matter what I do I can't seem to get a debuff to stick on K2SO and that can really mess with strategy. Luckily there's only one such team on my shard so not really a problem.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    The only problem I foresee is SA goes first with her TM gain special, followed by Maul with aoe daze, followed by Nihilus special increasing cooldowns then EP with aoe stunning some key characters. This is how my matches tend to go so I'm not convinced R2 is the answer. If the cleansers can't use their specials on the first turn you are in trouble. I hope R2 is a game changer; although I use Zaul I'm always happy to change out my arena team as it gets boring doing the same moves 5 matches every day. I was running a Rex lead for a while and kept finding what I've just described so I went the same way and it really is effective. The trickiest team I face is R1 with K2SO believe it or not. It doesn't seem to matter what I do I can't seem to get a debuff to stick on K2SO and that can really mess with strategy. Luckily there's only one such team on my shard so not really a problem.

That already happens, the differnce R2 can make is actually letting your characters land an attack more often.