Tarkin is going to balance Rex lead.

Replies

• Options
    This thread should be named "Tarkin is going to tip the balance even more to Rex lead." :D
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    Olddumper wrote: »

1st mistake I saw was targeting Baze over Rex with Krennic's AOE.

Not sure that would have offset R2's powerful 2 turn stealth.

Probably wouldn't have but in genral you want to daze Rex because he gains so much TM and once the other squad get tenacity up you are going to have a bad time. Then you could've used Gk's group hug to get rid of Chirrut.
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Nah that opponent is just crazy strong and roster shrinking. Freeze the video at 51 seconds - Rex is dead, attacking team is barely touched - it's 4 v 5 at this point. Even with a 2.5 turn head start really, those 4 are SO strong that once they get their roll on it doesn't matter. The TM gain + HoTs + strong damage is overwhelming.

Now forward it to 1:51 - just 1 minute later - and GK is almost dead, Tarkin is almost dead, and so is DT. Meanwhile, R2, Chirrut and DN still have most portection and Baze is at full health ... just 4 toons vs. 5 essentially STEAMROLLED the remainder of the match AI vs. human control.

Match ends with R2, DN, and Chirrut at full health with a gang of HoTs on them.

If ever anyone wanted to show a video of how insanely powerful Chaze / Rex / R2 are as a base this is it.

I really want someone to test a 4 man team with some combo of Chaze / R2 / DN / GK and I bet it defends pretty well. That fight above was basically 4 on 5 from the 51 second point onward due to human control and tactics, but end up a blowout. So strong. Wow.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options

Nah that opponent is just crazy strong and roster shrinking. Freeze the video at 51 seconds - Rex is dead, attacking team is barely touched - it's 4 v 5 at this point. Even with a 2.5 turn head start really, those 4 are SO strong that once they get their roll on it doesn't matter. The TM gain + HoTs + strong damage is overwhelming.

Now forward it to 1:51 - just 1 minute later - and GK is almost dead, Tarkin is almost dead, and so is DT. Meanwhile, R2, Chirrut and DN still have most portection and Baze is at full health ... just 4 toons vs. 5 essentially STEAMROLLED the remainder of the match AI vs. human control.

If ever anyone wanted to show a video of how insanely powerful Chaze / Rex / R2 are as a base this is it.

I really want someone to test a 4 man team with some combo of Chaze / R2 / DN / GK and I bet it defends pretty well. That fight above was basically 4 on 5 from the 51 second point onward due to human control and tactics, but end up a blowout. So strong. Wow.

Okay yes but he was out of specials. He wasted both GKs group hug and DT's Deathmark. That should be 2 extra kills.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options

Okay yes but he was out of specials. He wasted both GKs group hug and DT's Deathmark. That should be 2 extra kills.

Also maybe you haven't faced an r-2 comp before but they aren't as tough as that video makes them looks. They are just a small touch above the tradition triple cleanse. The r-2 squad I face on my shard that out mods me I was 15/17 against with my GK Zarris squad. Anybody can bounce attacks off of Chaze and watch them heal if they don't hit their big moves right. Remember the vids of Chaze 2 vs 5 from the start? Obviously some toons you need to handle correctly. It would be no different if it was a zaul video that you get stuck hit zavage the whole match.
  • Options

Well, R2 stunned Tarkin when GK had his special up to kill Rex with that shot - he didn't waste it - R2 stopped it. That's the sweetness of R2 - he adds notable amounts of unfavorable RNG.

Also, let's assume he put DM on Baze - look what the next 2 turns brought vs. Baze that R2 put on "inverted taunt" - 1. DN basic wiffed because R2 puts foresight on Baze 2. Krennec landed, but the counter attack dispelled the neg effects off of baze. Baze at that point had > half protection and full health. Likely the DK basic that landed wouldn't have 100% killed him - so he dispels DM and the 3 HoTs he has on him takes him to full or near full health.

Really it's R2's ability to disrupt a player's execution of the kills. R2, if Baze was too injured from the initial deathmark attack, may have stealthed baze and put the inverted taunt on DN since he would have been the most healthy - seems R2 puts the IT on the most healthy toon. The inability to focus fire on these guys is so huge.

Telling you - want a Chaze solution - get an Empire lead or unique that allows people to ignore rebel taunts. Just start in right away and kill Rex or R2. Baze pre-taunt, the HoTs, the spam taunt, and R2 inverting him puts you in a semi-permanent loop of attacking Baze. That's why 4 v 5 worked - not just because the specials were used. That's just a loaded squad is what it is.
  • Options

The big miss here IMO isn't Tarkin - and of course it's not GK or DN - but man you see DT and DK and ... what do they do? Really, they have absolutely no business being on the same battlefield as Chaze or even R2. No where near the same skills. The synergy there is practically unnoticeable. Any video I see of them is always like they are just forced in the battle cause the player wants to use them and it's DN or GK or some other toon carrying the load. Empire are trailing these teams because of that release matchup right there from R1: Chaze is insane and DK / DT just are not close to their level. That's the difference in the matchup. If they were anything close to Chaze you could probably even go full Empire or at least full DS. DT / DK are not bad, but they are not special either. Chaze is very special.
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Spent 20 arena battles today trying to figure out a decent squad. Disappointed because tarkin lead is a weak sauce, with Vader commanding things look a bit better, but it's way off the line if compared to the op rebels.

The not worst config is Vader, Tarkin, DT, Nihilus and Kenobi. Don't have Krennic ready yet.

A video here and there that show an empire squad winning, otherwise at 99% of the time they always loose.

That was suppose to be the empire pass?! Don't wanna even imagine how is gonna be with new ahsoka. Tired and mad that spent tons of resources on tarkin, Veers and troopers, a total waste!!
  • Options
    My two cents is that Tarkin lead is underwhelming but as a utility toon he is amazing. I've switched over to a zVader (L), DT, DK,GK and Tarkin team and it's doing very well. No issue with Rex, GK or Wedge lead on offence. On defence it seems to be holding better than I've had in the last two months (got a few new ally requests
  • Mega_Man
    88 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with you @SpeedRacer. I spent a ton of resources on Empire and am left desperately wanting. I played 10 battles today and went 1 and 6 with tarkin lead. An opponent's assassin OHKO my TFP. Game over. I went 2 and 1 with my troopers. Started the day at 26 and finished at 24. All hail the Empire! What a waste.

I so wanted to use a zeta on tarkin, but no way am I going to waste it. I went ahead and put it on QGJ. I'm now going a completely different route.

I had so much hope for the Empire after seeing what the devs did for the Sith. What a dud.
  • Options

Also maybe you haven't faced an r-2 comp before but they aren't as tough as that video makes them looks. They are just a small touch above the tradition triple cleanse. The r-2 squad I face on my shard that out mods me I was 15/17 against with my GK Zarris squad. Anybody can bounce attacks off of Chaze and watch them heal if they don't hit their big moves right. Remember the vids of Chaze 2 vs 5 from the start? Obviously some toons you need to handle correctly. It would be no different if it was a zaul video that you get stuck hit zavage the whole match.

Within the first day of R2's release we had 2 R2Z2s on the shard and I had logged about 30 battles in 24 hours banging my head against that testing in. My prior comps that worked 90%+ vs. Classic cleanse took a nose dive in performance (DN). zDM was useless vs. it - and the Vader comp I used vs. other DN didn't work either. Settled on another DV version that is getting 75%+ win rates now. I face GK / Chaze / R2Z2 / DN / Rex / Wedge comps daily and have for weeks now. Back when R2 was <10% usage on the GG report updates I do I called he was going to be in the top 6, pass Maul, and get to >40% (R2 is at 30% now) usage cause I instantly saw how he made that team better and added a lot of RNG - RNG you saw on full display in that video with the DM stealth removal - stun to disrupt GK's special - 3 round burn to put in severe damage - and stealth that dispelled DM on R2. He really dominated that match and flipped the battle. I'm incredibly familiar with these comps. That video is on the high end for performance....but still....that's with the AI!!! Now image other players trying to face that without the units used here at their disposal. This squad and the few iterations of it are so far out ahead of most of the game and roster.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    Mega_Man wrote: »
    I agree with you @SpeedRacer. I spent a ton of resources on Empire and am left desperately wanting. I played 10 battles today and went 1 and 6 with tarkin lead. An opponent's assassin OHKO my TFP. Game over. I went 2 and 1 with my troopers. Started the day at 26 and finished at 24. All hail the Empire! What a waste.

I so wanted to use a zeta on tarkin, but no way am I going to waste it. I went ahead and put it on QGJ. I'm now going a completely different route.

I had so much hope for the Empire after seeing what the devs did for the Sith. What a dud.

Lol TFP. I've said it all pass, if you are trying to use TFP to cover for poor speed mods you're gonna have a bad time.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    If you guys really need a comp to deal with r-2 just run GK lead Zarris DT DN and Rex. It's literally almost impossible to lose on offense. I only lost twice with it in over a month and it was because Chirrut would 1 shot DN. The odds of that lining up are low. The AI simply doesn't know how to damage any of the 1st 4 with Zarris and Rex spends the battle stealthed.

Don't turn this into a R2 is unbeatable thread because he is most definitely not. He is one inch past other cleanse teams.
  • Mega_Man
    88 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I happen to think my mods are pretty decent. I had TFP at 280, tarkin 207, Krennic 209, DT 215 and shore 190 without Tarkin's leadership bonus +28. I got wrecked no matter who I fought. But I'm glad I could make you laugh (he says sarcastically).
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    Mega_Man wrote: »
    I happen to think my mods are pretty decent. I had TFP at 280, tarkin 207, Krennic 209, DT 215 and shore 190 without Tarkin's leadership bonus +28. I got wrecked no matter who I fought. But I'm glad I could make you laugh (he says sarcastically).
    TFP is more of a liability than a help in a lot of matches now. If anything you wouldn't want him to be your fastest and never use him vs Rex.
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you guys really need a comp to deal with r-2 just run GK lead Zarris DT DN and Rex. It's literally almost impossible to lose on offense. I only lost twice with it in over a month and it was because Chirrut would 1 shot DN. The odds of that lining up are low. The AI simply doesn't know how to damage any of the 1st 4 with Zarris and Rex spends the battle stealthed.

Don't turn this into a R2 is unbeatable thread because he is most definitely not. He is one inch past other cleanse teams.

That's still huge though cause he added an inch or so to the team that was already by far and away the most dominant in the game.

Also, not wanting to sound combative, but the squad mentioned is basically taking the top 3 most used toons on GG to win - I like this thread as it's trying to build a semi-non meta squad that's a bit of a new flavor. We can essentially boil any strategy discussion down to .... hey use DN / Rex / Chaze / GK, etc. and the convo is done. The challenge is using as few of those 6 characters as possible and still being able to beat them. Tarkin lead has some promise - not saying it's garbage - but just that video was very interesting to see all of that team's mechanics at work and it essentially showed them winning in a landslide 4 v 5 with the AI - incredibly impressive video regardless.

I kinda want to punch the screen when every Empire / DS team I see people post using GK in it. Don't show a video highlighting something and it's reliant on GK - that's just shuffling the chairs on the deck and numerous squads can function around him. Using GK to prop up a team doesn't tell me anything about those toons - it just tells me what I already know about GK.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    R2 really has made an incredible impact to LS teams. I had high hopes that Tarkin would have been the Empire/DS equivalent during his pass. Tarkin even had a unique added to his kit. This could have been the unique to topple rebels, but instead, it's a unique that is self serving.

I'm still irritated that Vader and ep didn't get any love during the empire pass. So today, I decided to look at the stats/kits of r2 vs Vader. I was immediately irritated! R2 is faster, r2 does more damage on his basic (adding in his unique but not including gk nor a burning target), he stuns instead of ability blocks and he brings 2 team-wide uniques to the team. Vader hits slightly weaker than r2, is slower, ability blocks instead of stuns and he has no uniques. Vader has a 5 turn cool down on a weak damaging aoe (5 turns is antiquated in today's kits). Culling blade is really good and is probably on par with current skills. Vader's lead is really good, but that means he is either the lead or he is benched. R2, who came out during the Empire pass, is just a far better utility toon than Vader.

Back to Tarkin, I've tried him as leader, I've tried him with krennic and death trooper and I've tried him under Vader lead. I found the Vader lead to be the more powerful of the lineups. But it's really Vader, sass, dn, gk +1
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Nebulous wrote: »
    R2 really has made an incredible impact to LS teams. I had high hopes that Tarkin would have been the Empire/DS equivalent during his pass. Tarkin even had a unique added to his kit. This could have been the unique to topple rebels, but instead, it's a unique that is self serving.

I'm still irritated that Vader and ep didn't get any love during the empire pass. So today, I decided to look at the stats/kits of r2 vs Vader. I was immediately irritated! R2 is faster, r2 does more damage on his basic (adding in his unique but not including gk nor a burning target), he stuns instead of ability blocks and he brings 2 team-wide uniques to the team. Vader hits slightly weaker than r2, is slower, ability blocks instead of stuns and he has no uniques. Vader has a 5 turn cool down on a weak damaging aoe (5 turns is antiquated in today's kits). Culling blade is really good and is probably on par with current skills. Vader's lead is really good, but that means he is either the lead or he is benched. R2, who came out during the Empire pass, is just a far better utility toon than Vader.

Back to Tarkin, I've tried him as leader, I've tried him with krennic and death trooper and I've tried him under Vader lead. I found the Vader lead to be the more powerful of the lineups. But it's really Vader, sass, dn, gk +1

The Vader comments....I'm 100% with you. THE FIVE TURN CD? what the heck. He needs a unique added and that CD should go to 4 at least. CB though I would make it so that crit immunity doesn't function against it. An his basic should do 2x more damage than it does.

Also, agree on EP / Vader ... why they have zero synergy is baffling.

EDIT: Also love skeletor avatar - He-Man was my fav cartoon right along with Transformers!
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

The Vader comments....I'm 100% with you. THE FIVE TURN CD? what the heck. He needs a unique added and that CD should go to 4 at least. CB though I would make it so that crit immunity doesn't function against it. An his basic should do 2x more damage than it does.

Vader could definatly use a unique. The problem is its hard because zader squad are usually 1 mechanic or piece shy from being meta. You usually need to drop either a Zid which mean no more dots, Zarris which means no heal, gk which means no taunt or B-2/DT which means no dispell. They are always just one piece short of putting the puzzle together.

So it's hard to find a balance for him between a useless unique and a unique that will do one of the above and make him king again.

Side note: zader is the most fun arena team to play so I wouldn't mind it comming back with a vengeance.
  • Options

Vader could definatly use a unique. The problem is its hard because zader squad are usually 1 mechanic or piece shy from being meta. You usually need to drop either a Zid which mean no more dots, Zarris which means no heal, gk which means no taunt or B-2/DT which means no dispell. They are always just one piece short of putting the puzzle together.

So it's hard to find a balance for him between a useless unique and a unique that will do one of the above and make him king again.

Side note: zader is the most fun arena team to play so I wouldn't mind it comming back with a vengeance.

Exactly this which is part of the reason I like this team, feels like being an underdog at times. If they did adjust the Vader CD or added a unique the team could end up being very OP very quickly. I actually feel like balance is coming back to this game but I'm sure most will disagree
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    EDIT: Also love skeletor avatar - He-Man was my fav cartoon right along with Transformers!

I, too, loved He-Man and I love pirates so that is like a perfect avatar for me.

I'm having fun with tarkin under Vader. Tarkin lead really missed the mark with the +2 speed and lame expose. I have now idea why the expose is a thing. That was a huge fail to me. His unique should have been a teamwide or faction-wide buff. Because it's just for him, it's really hard to zeta it. If the base damage of his special were double what it currently it, maybe it's justifiable, unfortunately, that special is great for tm reduction not the damage. So, to me, it's really worth a zeta and that sucks cuz I want to zeta him and play him.
  • Options

I, too, loved He-Man and I love pirates so that is like a perfect avatar for me.

I'm having fun with tarkin under Vader. Tarkin lead really missed the mark with the +2 speed and lame expose. I have now idea why the expose is a thing. That was a huge fail to me. His unique should have been a teamwide or faction-wide buff. Because it's just for him, it's really hard to zeta it. If the base damage of his special were double what it currently it, maybe it's justifiable, unfortunately, that special is great for tm reduction not the damage. So, to me, it's really worth a zeta and that sucks cuz I want to zeta him and play him.

In addition to DT / DK being very much second class citizens vs. Chaze...the reworks on the zetas have been mediocre as well and especially the tendency to put the zeta on a bunch of leader skills. Make Gar's leader skill a unique for Empire and now we have something. Same for Tarkin if they had given him a team unique. Imagine Veers as a zeta if it applied to ALL Empire not just a small set.

I don't know - the empire / DS teams they keep going for a "balanced" approach but then R2 gets the kitchen sink and brings everything together perfectly. Definitely frustrating seeing the two approaches play out.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    I don't mind Tarkin not requiring zeta's. I don't have the zeta's or omegas to spend all over the place. As good and r-2 is he does eat 2 zeta where as Tarkin doesn't even get any better with his zeta. Really in a DT Tarkin DN GK and Krennic squad you only really need DT and maybe DN zeta'd which is a pretty good perk. It's kinda annoying Chaze doesn't eat any zeta mats though.
  • SNAKEMAN
    470 posts Member
    Options
    I think Tarkin Rework wasn't bad but that Rex lead is so good with rebels that it truly neuters most things CG tries to add.
    IGN: RANKMAN
    Line: xSNAKEMAN
  • Moicaliss
    992 posts Member
    Options
    SNAKEMAN wrote: »
    I think Tarkin Rework wasn't bad but that Rex lead is so good with rebels that it truly neuters most things CG tries to add.

This
  • ddlooping2
    1046 posts Member
    Options
    This is much more realistic of what the average player would have.
    The average player wouldn't have GK, but you guys always tend to forget that. ;)

• Options
    ddlooping2 wrote: »
    The average player wouldn't have GK, but you guys always tend to forget that. ;)

The average player have gk. Haat has been there since October, if you don't have unlock gk in 7 months....then you're doing something wrong
  • Me2
    123 posts Member
    Options
    Moicaliss wrote: »

The average player have gk. Haat has been there since October, if you don't have unlock gk in 7 months....then you're doing something wrong

There's an old song about this.. i think its titled.. "out of touch" :)
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    Options
    Moicaliss wrote: »

Well I don't have GK as of yet and I'm on a dec 15 shard.

I decided to stick with friends and good company rather than find a heroic ready guild and hop around
  • Options
    I respect that mate... better stick with the team and best ea's new challenges together than take shortcuts and leave all behind...