Tarkin is going to balance Rex lead.

Replies

• Options
    I play on my tablet not a phone and iOS so no videos right now....but those pics from today are actually a "bad" run - often I'll have everyone with full protection - most of the damage is coming from R2's burn anyway. I've fought the following versions probably 10 times total since getting Tarkin G11:

1. GK leader, R2, Chaze, DN (2 guys run this)
    2. DN leader, R2, Chaze, GK (3 guys run this comp)
    3. Wedge leader, Biggs, Chaze, R2
    4. Wedge leader, GK, Chaze, R2 (IMO the tougher of the comps - 2 guys run this)

The rex cleanse guys that used to run classic cleanse (so pre-R2) dropped Rex - R2 / GK seems > Rex per their defend rates since it has no real strong weakness (other than maybe this Tarkin build above - but I'm the lone guy running zDV on my shard in the top 50).

Some of the above teams used Jyn as a lead at one time as well, but they either switched to Wedge / GK / DN as a leader.

We still have a ton of Rex leads on the board, but they are in more of the mixed-meta type squads - generally those without Chaze but with GK / R2 / EP / zKylo / Boba / DT / ..... various mixed meta combs, but with Rex+GK and / or R2 as the core.

EDIT: Also, the time left is not representative - since I was looking for my phone to take a pic and bumbling around there was a lot of dead time - I can usually finish these teams in 2:30 or less. I'm going to count next time the true turns I take vs. the opponent - might be 2 to 1 even.

That looks promising, thx for explaining everything. I would only need to gear up Tarkin to try out that squad! :smiley:

Is it essential for sith assassin to go first, for that squad to work (ZVader(L), Tarkin, sith assassin, EP and Nihilius)? I have a +106 speed sith assassin, but there are some guys who run a 265 speed Chaze. So if I drop the zMaul lead, they outspeed me.

Fast Chaze matters ONLY if if your DN has the unique zeta'd because Chaze going first will get health down and proc cleanse and now everyone will have ten up and you're hosed. Now, I never zeta'd DN unique because of the cleanse teams. Luckily for me my shard top 10 had a lot of Chaze already and cleanse very early on way before it was reflected on GG like 6-8 weeks ahead - the Maul meta was almost over before it even started - he had a few good weeks at most - why I call it the fake meta....so I never would have seen the utility from it in a cleanse / ten up world and I also did not like having a debuff I couldn't control in a cleanse world with ten up - have to plan everything around Chirrut in this game. I also didn't Omega my SiTrooper's basic because I didn't want to counter Chirrut and drop his health and get Baze taunt spam. Chaze manipulates everything you do. Game pivots around those 2 guys.

My concern though is what happens when the DN in those teams is replaced with Ahsoka and I'm unable to put DoTs / O down / Crit down / Stun / shock on her? I can still control her TM - but she's going to be dropping major bombs early on. She probably won't reflect on GG for a while, but I'm 100% going to be fight her OP self very soon in these teams on my leaderboard. Why they are coming out with her right now ... after R2 made these guys stronger I have no idea.

Personally I wouldn't recommend building DS for arena despite these pics - we have Ahsoka and Jedi Luke still yet to come and DS ... who knows. Maybe let's see if June is Thrawn? If nothing changes will we get Luke, you're just going to see more GK / R2 / Chaze teams and assuming Ahsoka is as good in there as I think she will be, your top 5 will be locked. I'm not sure if I'll be able to beat Ahsoka teams - it will for sure present ANOTHER challenge though and need to change vs. Chaze.

Below Video Link Legend:

Jan = me
    Marcia = Chaze
    Mike & Carol = CG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZHveWFvqM

So since I have zeta-ed DN (I hesitated between him and Vader BTW, big mistake I have made) once I will Zeta Vader I cannot use this setup? Bummer if that.

Only if Chirrut is faster than SA. If you have good speed on SA you are fine - a lot of players may not try to max Chirrut speed cause they want the back end cleanse and use Rex for the ten up or rely on R2 for cleanse, etc. - mods will be the determinant. Chirrut only outspeeds SA by 2 though, so they are very close - not impossible at all for players to have a faster SA than enemy Chirrut.

But yes....Chaze stinks and biffs a lot of stuff in the game. Always modifying the team with Chaze squads in mind....and that's only going to continue. Ahsoka I worry will make all this go poof anyway with round 1 / 2 insta-kills.
  • danflorian1984
    986 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    But yes....Chaze stinks and biffs a lot of stuff in the game. Always modifying the team with Chaze squads in mind....and that's only going to continue. Ahsoka I worry will make all this go poof anyway with round 1 / 2 insta-kills.[/quote]
    Nothing new for me, since I joined the rebels have been the bane of my (virtual) existence. I started playing when Wedge was gifted to Ios players, and it was great facing Wiggs at level 55 when the few counters were unobtainable. It was also great switching and modifying my team every 2-3 weeks just to hold rank at first and then slowly climb in top 5, while my opponents just kept using the same team until Chaze became farmable or spending half of cantina energy on mods while my opponents build their rooster. I'm sure it will be also great fighting R2 and Ahsoka besides Chaze and Wiggs. Not.
  • Obiobi
    32 posts Member
    Options
    A lot of people are running similar Rex lead squads on my shard. I really like the Tarkin rework and how it fits in vs this current meta. I prefer to have Tarkin very fast and DT slow so that the enemy can blow its cleanses. Tarkin going 1st is a huge advantage, it seems, for me.

This squad can beat anything in the current meta under manual control, but it has a hard time on auto with bad rng if the enemy gets the advantage and stays cleansed.

https://youtu.be/LQ3nQT3KTkw
  • ImYourHuckleberry
    1421 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Vs Aramil part 2.

Vader FC triggered Rex SD who put ten up right away. I didn't know what to do with Tarkin when his turn came up, so I did IT, but they were resisted. Pushing through, I lost 2, but pulled out a win vs Aramil.

https://youtu.be/jAKWk_dYQo4
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member
    Options
    Vs Aramil part 2.

Vader FC triggered Rex SD who put ten up right away. I didn't know what to do with Tarkin when his turn came up, so I did TM, but they were resisted. Pushing through, I lost 2, but pulled out a win vs Aramil.

Thanks for the vids.
  • Options
    Vs Aramil part 2.

Vader FC triggered Rex SD who put ten up right away. I didn't know what to do with Tarkin when his turn came up, so I did IT, but they were resisted. Pushing through, I lost 2, but pulled out a win vs Aramil.

That's pretty awesome when you think about it - that's an attack team with no enemy debuffer, no taunt, and no cleanse (no GK, no Rex, no Chaze) beating an elite modded / geared / built cleanse squad WITH terrible RNG getting the Ten up early from Rex - you beat all 5 of the most used toons in the game with bad RNG. Maybe it's not like a 90% counter vs. Rex versions, but I would think it's at least >50% and if you have even a slight mod advantage it's going to be even better. Vs. non-Rex with R2 versions though, so far for me at least, it is a 80-90% counter.
  • Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member
    Options
    Vs Aramil part 2.

That's pretty awesome when you think about it - that's an attack team with no enemy debuffer, no taunt, and no cleanse (no GK, no Rex, no Chaze) beating an elite modded / geared / built cleanse squad WITH terrible RNG getting the Ten up early from Rex - you beat all 5 of the most used toons in the game with bad RNG. Maybe it's not like a 90% counter vs. Rex versions, but I would think it's at least >50% and if you have even a slight mod advantage it's going to be even better. Vs. non-Rex with R2 versions though, so far for me at least, it is a 80-90% counter.
    I'm just glad I can see my girl SA carrying that match like a boss.
  • Options
    Vs Aramil part 2.

I'm just glad I can see my girl SA carrying that match like a boss.

No doubt she's elite and 100% a necessity for a DS-based roster.
  • ddlooping2
    1047 posts Member
    Options
    Vs Aramil part 2...
    Genuine question : what did Tarkin contribute to this battle? :)

• Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member
    Options
    ddlooping2 wrote: »
    Vs Aramil part 2...
    Good question. Also curious to know what you guys think of other replacements for him. (I know this is a thread about him, but what are the other options if he just doesn't cut it?)
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    Here's another variation of the empire squad w/ Tarkin vs triple cleanse...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3bsKeBntfMM
  • Options
    Vs Aramil part 2...

Not as much as the other vids and my screen shots since the ten up was in place early on - but he still got a nice TM reduction hit in - which does help a lot in this matchup since the early round cool down / stun / debuff battle sets the tone.
  • ddlooping2
    1047 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Smapty wrote: »
    Or in other words, another variation of GK + 4 toons. :p

• Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ^---sick nasty
    @Smapty
    Post edited by Jedi_Reach_ on
  • Options

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3bsKeBntfMM

Wow - full auto - and Tarkin was huge there.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What people over look is the "can't be resisted by rebels" clause. So even if Rex or chirriut apply tenacity up, tarkin will still hit chaze/wiggs/r2 with O down and crit down. This is pretty good. This will get even better as new rebels are introduced.
  • Options
    Nebulous wrote: »
    What people over look is the "can't be resisted by rebels" clause. So even if Rex or chirriut apply tenacity up, tarkin will still hit chaze/wiggs/r2 with O down and crit down. This is pretty good. This will get even better as new rebels are introduced.

Is not as much as overlook as is dismiss since both O down and crit down will soon be cleansed.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Is not as much as overlook as is dismiss since both O down and crit down will soon be cleansed.

You minimize how strong Vader lead is at slowing your opponent.
  • Kriesha
    113 posts Member
    Options
    Kriesha wrote: »

At 1:46, you decided to feed opposing Nihilus more turn meter. Your Nihilus was ahead until that point, I think, and could have Annihilated him before he got his off. Might have made the difference.

I see it.

Ya, 1st mistake was putting DM on R2.

Looking back, maybe if I targeted nihilus with basic, they'd might not have gained more tm. (if I targeted Baze, then a double shot, and if both critics, then more tm for them.

So you think I should try that set up again.?

Might be worth giving it another go, but I doubt this setup will reliably deal with the 3cleanse. Just wanted to point out where I think the match was lost.
  • Options
    @Smapty I tried your comp, and it works great... I even slowed my toons down to match yours. Oddly, to get it to work, I had to use DT DM before any opponent were down. It still is a guarantee critical against debuffed toons, and hit gk for 20k...just enough to take gk down with my Gk's group hug.

Not sure how good it'll be on Def though with toons so slow.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    Lol I'm pretty sure I've been overlooking this in gameplay. It's hard to remember always.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    Olddumper wrote: »
    Lol I'm pretty sure I've been overlooking this in gameplay. It's hard to remember always.

Krennic will apply ability block through tenacity up in rebels too. Krennic lead teams with tarkin can pretty much auto wedge, chaze, r2 and gk teams. It's pretty nice and with ahsoka coming into the fold, we may see more reason to use tarkin. Here's to hoping anyway
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options

Krennic will apply ability block through tenacity up in rebels too. Krennic lead teams with tarkin can pretty much auto wedge, chaze, r2 and gk teams. It's pretty nice and with ahsoka coming into the fold, we may see more reason to use tarkin. Here's to hoping anyway

Yeah there is only one r-2 team on my shard right now and his r-2 is 281 speed so it's pretty tough.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options

Yeah there is only one r-2 team on my shard right now and his r-2 is 281 speed so it's pretty tough.

281?!? Yikes. That's tough. R2 is such a good hero. I want our ds version.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Or in other words, another variation of GK + 4 toons. :p

Try Mob Enforcer lead, CUP, Ugnaught, JKG, with GK. Unless maybe just maybe the team is important too.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options

281?!? Yikes. That's tough. R2 is such a good hero. I want our ds version.

Yeah I collude with the guy anyway though.
  • ddlooping2
    1047 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Try Mob Enforcer lead, CUP, Ugnaught, JKG, with GK. Unless maybe just maybe the team is important too.
    It is, my bad. :)
    However, you must admit we rarely see a "here's a good team with x that can beat y" that doesn't include either GK, Chirrut/Baze or both.

P.S: I couldn't try the team you suggest, I have none of them. :D

P.P.S: a good example...
    "Best team without Chaze" : all suggested teams include GK.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/113059/best-team-w-o-chaze

• Options

I'm not seeing how Ahsoka will be killable in the Gk / Chaze /R2 cone of safety. Every turn she dispels debuffs and gains 5% health from debuffs and she will get 4% from Chirrut just from being alive and having a HoT on her. If you yank her CD she will just use basic and get prot up. I think she's going to finally shut the door on using pure DS teams and having a decent win rate. She may even shut out the GK + DS versions. She has potential to break the game and form a fab 5: Chaze / GK / R2 / Ahsoka. If she had a great leader to stick on the team for LS / rebels it would be a lock - as is that team doesn't have a great leader - but R2's unique zetas essentially functions as a leader so it's not that big of a deal.

I can't believe something like her is being released in to the game given the condition of arena right now - unless something in June is coming to be a super hard counter to the existing teams.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Tarkin needs GK. Retrubtuion + Tarkin's basic stacking = massive damage

Sure, bcuz Baze's target and aoe dispels plus Nihilus's dispel on basic will allow u 2 keep your buffs.