The majority of balance issues in this game would be solved by changing tenacity up

Prev1
Jacman11
29 posts Member
edited June 2017
The title says it all. Changing tenacity up to mirror tenacity down in terms of effectiveness would break up the triple cleanse meta from dominating everything without being a direct nerf to any one character. There would be far more arena diversity and make the game much healthier. The Devs could even get away with it because it's not a "nerf," they could just say it wasn't working as intended.

If they want to keep a debuff immunity mechanic, then create a debuff immunity buff on the level of the buff immunity debuff, and then be smart about how many characters to give to, unlike the current triple cleanse/tenacity up cancer.

Replies

• Gank_Killer
    1817 posts Member
    Options
    Agree completely.
    In my opinion, there should never be "100% immunity" buffs that just completely null some teams. That means crit immunity also. Sure, beef them up against crits, or 85% chance to avod crits.
    Characters that rely on things like that, just for example Luke Skywalker, is completely neutered by Crit Immunity, this should never be the case, especially for a turn based game.
  • Options
    I know why you want this and agree with some of your reasons but you will unintentionally make my prized master yoda character utterly pointless.
    Howbout this compromise? Let yoda keep tenacity up, as is, and give every other character that has tenacity up... potency down instead!
    Yoda would become special and more utilized which is certainly ok because he is Yoda!
    Look into the eyes of the dragon and despair....
  • Free_Empires
    134 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Agree completely.
    In my opinion, there should never be "100% immunity" buffs that just completely null some teams. That means crit immunity also. Sure, beef them up against crits, or 85% chance to avod crits.
    Characters that rely on things like that, just for example Luke Skywalker, is completely neutered by Crit Immunity, this should never be the case, especially for a turn based game.

Is mace windus capital ship ok? Seems way worse but ppl accept it
    Im being unfair but its accepted because its his main trick and hes the only one that can do that. Tenacity up should be the same way (yodas special awesomness)
  • Gank_Killer
    1817 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Agree completely.

Is mace windus capital ship ok? Seems way worse but ppl accept it
    Im being unfair but its accepted because its his main trick and hes the only one that can do that. Tenacity up should be the same way (yodas special awesomness)

Good point you brought up. I think I could be ok with 100% immunity, but only for 1 turn, or, like foresight, a single attack or something similar. But completely immune for 3 turns (fml rex) is simply too much.
  • Dwinkelm
    768 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I believe that T-Up mechanic needs a change, but I'd take it in a different direction

I'd allow the Tenacity Up buff to still work 100% of the time, but I'd only allow a maximum 85% chance for it to stick. That way, you know if a character resists 100% or 15% of the time for certain.

You could play around with all sorts of synergies too this way. For example, Yoda's Battle Meditation could read something along the lines of "85% chance to grant foreseight and tenacity up, increased to 100% for Jedi allies."

It would be an indirect nerf to Chaze, Rex, and GK (which are really where the gripes come from), and it would be an indirect buff to Yoda, whom is still underwhelming without crazy powerful mods
  • Options
    Yoda is/was a big event toon. He should be changed to 100% debuff immunity -- different symbol and all. Eff, yoda could use a little extra punch in general, but whatever, I don't use him because he's bland unless you are willing to zeta him and qgj both.

Everyone else keeps Tenacity up, but it becomes a %. I'm okay if this also means DN's counter increase also then passes through tenacity check. It would suck - he already has that 50% which you can usually get by but not always with triple cleanse teams....

As was said in other posts - current tenacity up wasn't a problem until more recent toons and team comps made it a problem.

#IfYouFixDnFixEverything
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    No, if you want to fix these balance issues then they would need to remove the cleanse from Kenobi and chirrut. Those two are what make the triple cleanse team possible because all other cleansers lack the surviveability, utility, and damage that allows you to plug and play those two and still do well.

Changing tenacity up is just going to make characters like yoda more useless
  • Balanced
    12 posts Member
    Options
    Good point you brought up. I think I could be ok with 100% immunity, but only for 1 turn, or, like foresight, a single attack or something similar. But completely immune for 3 turns (fml rex) is simply too much.

Just have 2 different moves. Yoda can have the debuff immunity, toons like chirrut that heal along with granting a buff can receive a simple 50% tenacity buff.

You can have a third variant that is like foresight and gets consumed when a debuff is inflicted.

• Options
    Easy fix ive been saying this forever: Let potency up buff penetrate tenacity up buff with a 50% dice roll, and give more characters a team potency up buff.
  • Options
    Some good ideas all around in this thread, lets hope they read it and dont just ignore it as "another one of those"
  • t0neg0d
    616 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No, if you want to fix these balance issues then they would need to remove the cleanse from Kenobi and chirrut. Those two are what make the triple cleanse team possible because all other cleansers lack the surviveability, utility, and damage that allows you to plug and play those two and still do well.

Sorry, but why should this matter at all? Yoda would be just another of 100 characters that are currently useless in arena. The event is now on a two month cycle... most people have yoda, unless like me, they just dont care to get him.

I think the trade-off here is insanely obvious, make 1 toon a little less useful to fix EVERY debuff-centric toon that is currently useless.

EDIT: Not to mention, debuffs or not, yoda is out in 1 shot... so how useful is he really?
  • Jacman11
    29 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Well that's why I said they that if they want to keep the debuff immunity mechanic they should create a new buff specifically called debuff immunity, like we already have for buff immunity. That way it could be given to characters like yoda who can benefit from it without being utter cancer. The triple cleanse meta would die this way. GK and chirrut can keep their cleanse that's not the problem, it's the cleanse + having debuff immunity while having a kit that's good at covering for nihilus to annihilate someone that's broken.

Yoda having debuff immunity/cleanse would be fine because the rest of his kit isn't well suited to protect-the-nihilus like GK and chirrut are.
  • Gank_Killer
    1817 posts Member
    Options
    Jacman11 wrote: »

Well that's why I said they that if they want to keep the debuff immunity mechanic they should create a new buff specifically called debuff immunity, like we already have for buff immunity. That way it could be given to characters like yoda who can benefit from it without being utter cancer. The triple cleanse meta would die this way. GK and chirrut can keep their cleanse that's not the problem, it's the cleanse + having debuff immunity while having a kit that's good at covering for nihilus to annihilate someone that's broken.

Yoda having debuff immunity/cleanse would be fine because the rest of his kit isn't well suited to protect-the-nihilus like GK and chirrut are.

It's ok man. People like these just like to hear their keyboard click, they don't actually read the posts. If they do, they have the context-sense of CNN.
  • Jacman11
    29 posts Member
    Options

It's ok man. People like these just like to hear their keyboard click, they don't actually read the posts. If they do, they have the context-sense of CNN.

+1 for CNN bash
  • Free_Empires
    134 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • WrathofCaedus
    1880 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It wouldn't even have to mirror down completely, it just needs to be tweaked so that there's the 15% chance to land a debuff... Just like every... single... other... buff..., or debuff, in the game.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if soon a new toon is released that debuffs evading tenacity up (just as many deal damage overriding foresight), so is an anti-meta.
  • Options
    Try not sending teams that rely on debuffs against triple cleanse teams. They'll get stomped. Use some of the other 112 toons available to get the job done.

Tenacity is just fine. My jedi cruise past all of those triple cleanse teams with ease and you know why - becaue they don't inflict any debuffs. If you are having trouble it's likely because of your tactics and strategic squad makeup
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Options
    anonidude wrote: »
    Try not sending teams that rely on debuffs against triple cleanse teams. They'll get stomped. Use some of the other 112 toons available to get the job done.

Tenacity is just fine. My jedi cruise past all of those triple cleanse teams with ease and you know why - becaue they don't inflict any debuffs. If you are having trouble it's likely because of your tactics and strategic squad makeup

Exactly. Run a zQGJ team. Tenacity up is just ammo for a team like that.
  • Jacman11
    29 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Exactly. Run a zQGJ team. Tenacity up is just ammo for a team like that.

zQGJ is the only squad I can think of that could reasonably counter triple cleanse, but that's iffy even then. There aren't many, if any, viable teams that can win without employing debuffs. The point is there are so many debuffs in this game and the triple tenacity up invalidates all of them, and with that, most of the strategic options and diversity of the game.

It's not like this is just a new meta that's good against most other teams. It's that the tenacity up mechanic is invalidating an entire aspect of the game.

• Options
    Triple cleanse is not tenacity up. Sounds like the problem is triple cleanse...not tenacity.
  • Options
    Wiggs Rebels will get there as well with some chirrut baze healing. Again no debuffs except baze basic and wedge defence down.

Tbh I reckon Ewoks in a teebo raid configuration would probably also get the job done provided they were fast enough and you include a dispeller

Nihilus led sith trounce it.

Boba fett gets you past chirrut and then triple cleanse is a bit silly.

Zader with a quick sith assassin will get in behind the tenacity up. Bring boba and shoretrooper and maybe deathtrooper.

Old ben lead fast zoda gk nihilus and deathtrooper also works spectacularly

So many options to knock over triple cleanse it's just not funny. Even droids can do it with some good rng.

Think outside the box and actually put together a squad that can handle life in the fast lane.
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Options
    No its not no. But the tencity delays it the point that when it drops Chirrut or GK cleanses and by that time. Rex can give Tenacity up again leaving maybe a 1 turn door open for it for something to stick. When next turn its removed again.
  • Jacman11
    29 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Wiggs Rebels will get there as well with some chirrut baze healing. Again no debuffs except baze basic and wedge defence down.

Tbh I reckon Ewoks in a teebo raid configuration would probably also get the job done provided they were fast enough and you include a dispeller

Zader with a quick sith assassin will get in behind the tenacity up. Bring boba and shoretrooper and maybe deathtrooper.

So many options to knock over triple cleanse it's just not funny. Even droids can do it with some good rng.

Think outside the box and actually put together a squad that can handle life in the fast lane.

Yeah.. if you think even half those teams can compete and stay in top 10-20 arena against Rex triple cleanse you are deluded and clearly not a top tier arena player, certainly not with some of those teams you mentioned.
  • Options
    Maybe it should just be dot immunity instead of debuff immunity. That way we can still slow them daze them and heal immunity them and have at it
  • Options
    Or else they need to add a check to b2 and baze on their debuff buffs mechanic
  • Options

Yeah.. if you think even half those teams can compete and stay in top 10 arena against Rex triple cleanse you are deluded and clearly not a top tier arena player, certainly not with some of those teams you mentioned.

Dude I watch these teams in the top 10 daily. Maybe you're not the player you think you are?

https://swgoh.gg/u/exile/

And yes I've even used some of those setups personally while shard mates have them full time at #1 in their own payouts in a sea of rex triple cleanse.

Care to share how you roll bro?
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Tarugo91
    294 posts Member
    Options
    debuffs should have a 15% chance to land even with tenacity up.
  • Options
    Tarugo91 wrote: »
    debuffs should have a 15% chance to land even with tenacity up.

Agreed
  • Options

Yeah.. if you think even half those teams can compete and stay in top 10 arena against Rex triple cleanse you are deluded and clearly not a top tier arena player, certainly not with some of those teams you mentioned.

Dude I watch these teams in the top 10 daily. Maybe you're not the player you think you are?

https://swgoh.gg/u/exile/

And yes I've even used some of those setups personally while shard mates have them full time at #1 in their own payouts in a sea of rex triple cleanse.

Care to share how you roll bro?

Lol. If you are saying you have droids, nihilus lead, and...-you mentioned ewoks, lol?- in your shard then it's clearly not a difficult shard. Those teams are cannon fodder against Rex chaze nihilus GK. And yes, I take rank 1 consistently in my shard too.